Sub-Zero Storage

Just wanted to check in with some of the more talented shoe'sters out there to help me understand the practical impact of storing shoes in below freezing conditions (not extended storage - but overnight, or for a couple of days at the most). Since I occasionally keep a pair or two in the trunk for impromptu heeling - and I live in areas where the temperature falls below zero on numerous occasions - am I doing any damage to .... Leather shoes - uppers or soles/heels(?), PVC shoes (?). Any help that can be offered would be appreciated. Thanks !! HA99 :cry1:

I don't think so. As long as they aren't wet then freeze nor you allow them to come into direct contact with frost they will be OK. On the otherhand, they make winter boots out of leather and lorry curtains (On tautliners) are PVC and they get frozen....

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I wouldn't think it's so much the final temperature, but rather the rate of temperature change, that might cause any damage to shoes and boots. I'm sure sub-zero temperatures will be okay, as long as you don't take them from there, and put them directly in front of a heater. Just let them warm up more naturally.

Thank you for such a prompt reply! :cry1:

Sorry it took so long. I did have to go away and research it and that took me 8 minutes on its own!

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I wouldn't think it's so much the final temperature, but rather the rate of temperature change, that might cause any damage to shoes and boots. I'm sure sub-zero temperatures will be okay, as long as you don't take them from there, and put them directly in front of a heater. Just let them warm up more naturally.

Actually, that wouldn't be too much of a problem for leather shoes either, it is wet shoes drying too quickly that could be a problem. PVC might melt if too close to a heater but otherwise is a very thermally stable material.