Heeling in Antiquity - Paintings and Pics ONLY Please - Thanks!

kikepa

I'm growing my hair long, and while looking on Wikipedia to see how long it would take, I came across paintings of a member of the Cavalliers. I don't know which one is wearing the three-inch heels, Lord John Stuart or his Brother Lord Bernard Stuart (later Earl of Lichfield), but kudos!

What other paintings or pictures have you run across, online, of men wearing heels? Please provide links to the pictures or paintings!

Antiquity only! Since the 1970s saw a resurgence of men in heels, that doesn't count. So, pre-1970s, please.

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.

I love the construction of this boots. That has got to be the era before the invention of steel shanks and arched structructure of the sole for high heels. I would conject that in that era, the sole was basically a slab of leather onto which the heel was nailed. Not much for support, but it was fine for heels of up to two inches. I guess walking around in heeled boots of that era means it was like walking in high heels with loose heels. I've done that. You get used to it, and having gotten used to it, it is sometimes easier to walk in a boot with loose heels than an new pair. Take a loser look as the heels of the man on the right. There's a brace, apparently nailed to the bottomss of the heels and apparently nailed to the sole of the fore foot of the boots. These, I imagine, would feel like wedgies, when walking in them. Walking in them would really be an adventure.

http://www.wga.hu/frames-e.html?/html/r/rigaud/louis_14.html

Click on picture to enlarge to 200% and see shoes up close.

This famous portrait of King Louis XIV of France shows him in buckle shoes (beige or bronze) with 2.5-3 inch dark red block heels, buckles and bows. In addition he is wearing white silk tights, garters, lace, petticoats, and a wig. Yet he still look very masculine.

GWL