Makeshift straps

I found that some Velcro straps I bought in a local DIY store (can't remember if it was Lowe's or Home Depot), work well as makeshift straps. Here is a link to the product:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=184584-388-90700&lpage=none

They are normally used for wrapping cables, etc., but as I found myself wishing that some 3" pumps I bought had straps, I decided to give them a try. I ended up wrapping them around the outside of the heel and around my ankle/arch, with the smooth side in and the velcro side out.

It's obviously not an elegant approach, but works well for wearing around the house, which is all I do anyway.

These are already the most comfortable pumps I've owned, but adding the strap and the support it brings is even better. I found it interesting that the sound they make on tile is more solid now as well. I will have to give priority for shoes with built-in straps in the future, but this was a great way for me to help prevent slippage on my right foot (which is a half size smaller than my left).

If it helps to explain what I did, I can try and upload a picture.

What other makeshift straps are out there? Of course, I could have the cobbler add some, but I haven't had the nerve to bring any heels in for years.

I have seen people adding straps to their heels; typically strippers will tie scarves and other garments around their heels to hold the mules (backless shoes like my avatar) on their feet. Unfortunately, IMHO this not a very satisfactory answer, and while the velcro may offer some improvement, I don't consider that to be a satisfactory answer either. IMO the shoes should be modified correctly to achieve the desired result. Now I will admit that adding heel straps to a mule might entail some serious modifications; but adding a strap to what you call a pump should be a fairly minor, straightforward matter. IMO what has to happen is an external strap or loop is sewn directly at the back of the upper and then a second strap, presumably with a buckle, is passed through the loop and around the ankle. Velcro might serve in the absence of a buckle, but I would want a buckle as a more permanent arrangement. Now I personally dislike the term "pump" because it encompasses so many different styles as to be practically synonimous with "shoe". I have seen slingback shoes called "pumps"; I have seen peep toe shoes called "pumps"; and so whenever anyone trots out the term my first question is: have you a picture? Otherwise I'm never quite sure just what the other person is talking about.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels