Roller Disco

A group of friends and I went to an 80’s roller disco on Saturday night. We get there early, it was freezing outside and our outfits didn’t help. As it was an 80’s theme, we had got our costumes from ebay and local charity shops. We were all decked out in tutu’s and spandex trousers, bright coloured ankle socks and vest tops, gloves and ballet pumps.

I had managed to half rip the bottom off of my ballet pumps walking from the station in the dim light from the street lights and my friend Claire had walked straight though a puddle in the dark and soaked hers. We were glad to hand them in at the boot exchange for some dry roller boots, handing our plastic white ebay jackets into the cloakroom, we had bought 80’s slingbag’s so we kept them with us.

We spent the majority of the night skating round with other dressed in the suitable outfits. At around 12 o’clock we decided to go onto a club. Our friends had left 30min early to get an earlier train, but as we were staying at Claire’s house which was local we decided to stay later.

The queue for the boot return was now really long, we skated to the end and waited in line, the line was moving really slowly and we both removed our boots and waited. The odd person got dangerously close to our feet. As we waited two girl walked up behind, as they were wearing shoes they had obviously just arrived.

“Look at this queue, we are going to be here for sooo long” one of the girls gestured to her friend.

They stood there for another couple of moments, the queue didn’t move, then I felt a tap on my shoulder

“Excuse me, what shoe size are you and your friend” the girl pointed to our feet

“We are both 6” i replied with a puzzled look

“Perfect, well if we gave you £30 would you mind, swapping shoes with us, if you give us a wave when you get near the front of the queue we could then swap back, otherwise we aren’t going to get a chance to skate” she looked pleading at us.

With the floor being cold and the chance of some protection for our feet from the other skaters we agreed

“As long as we can wear your shoes” I asked

“Sure, of course you can” the girls both replied.

The girl nearest me, pulled up her bright green knee socks and unzipped her knee high boots handing them to me, i stuffed my feet into the still warm boots and zipped them up, pulling my pink knee high socks over the top they looked just like shoes, but they kept my legs allot warmer. Claire had the other girl’s shoe’s on, whilst the girl was pulling on Claire’s socks and putting on the roller boots.

“Thanks very much “ they both called, about to skate off

“You will need these” I called handing them our tickets

“they match the boots else you won’t get on the skating rink”

“thanks, here you better take these”

she handed me their tickets, unlike ours they were gold with VIP written on them. Within seconds they were gone.

“Well that’s better”

I called turning to Claire

“my feet are much warmer”

The waited in line the queue just didn’t seem to move, there was a guy walking down the line talking to people and stopped when he got to us.

“Hi ladies, I am really sorry, but you are going to be too late to skate, we have already passed the last admission and our license states we have to stop now, can i please see your tickets”

I handed him the tickets

“I will be back in one moment”

I looked across the skating rink the two girl were nowhere in sight, the guy returned with two coats and two handbags

“I’m really sorry, I have collected your coats and bags from the cloakroom and have four free tickets for entrance, I’m really sorry again, I can only apologise”

He then held open a long black leather jacket

“Madam your coat”

I slipped one arm then the other into the jacket, her then buttoned it for me, he then handed me a bag. He then held open a shorter flying jacket style brown leather jacket for Claire

“madam”

Claire put it on and he then handed her a bag.

He lead us to a different side entrance

“Let me get you a cab on us to apologise further” he then ushered out of the door and into an awaiting car.

“Scarla, please”

Claire called to the driver and we left, as we pulled out the entrance we both started laughing.