Ankle flexibility training - a diary

GorazdR

Sitting in pike position how deep can you pointe your toes towards the gorund?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Sitting in pike position how deep can you pointe your toes towards the gorund?

• 6+ inches (your pointe is not so great; you're definatelly not prepared even for 3" heels)
    • 5-6 inches (your pointe is about average)
    • 3-5 inches (quite good - but needs improvement)
    • 1-3 (very good; you can wear almost any kind of heel)
    • 0-1 inches (excellent, your toes can almost touch the floor)
    • 0 inches (you can touch the floor with your toes. Could do ballet!!)

Hi friends,

Firstly I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Gordon and I'm into ankle flexibility training. I'd like to know your stories about how you coped with your feet always being in high-heel position and changes in ankle range-of-motion.

I'm keeping a diary of my ankle flexibility improvement and in only two months a great improvements have been achieved. With the use of therabands for increased strength and foot bending device for increased flexibility, my toe point has improved substantially.

This thread will be a diary of my foot training regime.

What are the exercises:

It is VITAL that you work on your flexibility as well as on your strength. My fiancee is a ballet dancer and always puts more effort in strengthening that stretching.

My goal:

Sitting, legs extended. When poinitng my feet/toes, the goal is for the toes to reach the ground. It is called floorpointe (you can see what I mean on youtube - they've got plenty of videos depicting it). I want to achieve that in one year's time (september 2009). I'll take measurements once a week. Ultimately I want to be able to wear ballet boots comfortably.

Situation:

When I started my foot training (to months ago), with my feet/toes fully pointed, my toes reached 6 inches form the floor. Consulting literature I'd discovered that that is about average ankle flexibility.

However after just one week on doing stringent exercises every day, my toe point improved by whole inch.

After that my weekly improvements were naturally much more modest.

Currently I'm at 4 3/4 inches.

I want to know how far your toes reach. If I want to wear ballet boots I I'll have to improve my flexibility even more.

Thank you all, You'll hear from me as soon as new measurements are in.

Gordon

The most important point here is: this has NOTHING to do with (improving your) high heel walking abilities. It looks very nice (in my opinion), - but as already said, if one´s goal is becoming better on high heels, THIS is not the way.

Hi, could you please explain that. I think, that the beter your ankle flexibility the easier is for you to have your ankle (and foot) pointed in high-heel position. It is important for ballet dancers and, I think, is important for people who want to wear ballet heels.

Well, for one, I can wander around in ballet heels for quite a while, but my limiting factor is not my ankles, but my toes/forefoot.. After long enough I always end up with pain in my toes and after the longer sessions the sides of the balls of my feet will ache for a couple days.

(formerly known as "JimC")

Hi All. Yesterday I had to leave work due to my eyes swelling. I got into something and accidently got it into my eyes. No one else was home so I put my ballet boots on and was able to keep them on for over 5 hrs. I did have some time lying down with ice packs on my eyes and I think I did dose off twice for about an 1/2 hr..I kept the boots on for as long as I could before my toe nails started to get wrecked as I had this happen before. This is the longest I have been able to walk/stand in the ballets. After my eyes got better I was able to restring 2 of my acoustic guitars while standing in my bboots and fix some lunch. After I took my boots off I had to lie down and do another eye treatment and after that I was going to put the bboots back on and fix dinner but I got a phone call and didn't have any time after that before the rest of my family came home. I'm still working up the guts to wear my boots shopping this week I hope I don't chicken out. What I find the most difficult is my legs tend to give out before the toe pain but yesterday was different my legs held up to the end. I am pleased about that because that means I'm getting better at keeping my legs straight and feet in the pointe position. I'll have to work on the toe pain more though. Dr Who 3.

It's been a week from my last posting on my improvement. During the week I managed to go from 4 3/4 in to 4 1/4 in which in a great improvement. All that has given me additional drive to reach my goal.

My current set of exercises is:

1. Releve (calf rises) 16 left foot, 16 right foot, 16 both feet

2. Feet tucked under 3.5 in sofa for 5 mins

3. Theraband exercises for strength - 7 mins

4. Sitting on feet. The tops (toes) are raised by an inch with the help of a book. - 2 mins

The "routine" takes me about 15 minutes / day.

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a week from my last posting on my improvement. During the week I managed to go from 4 3/4 in to 4 1/4 in which in a great improvement. All that has given me additional drive to reach my goal.

My current set of exercises is:

1. Releve (calf rises) 16 left foot, 16 right foot, 16 both feet

2. Feet tucked under 3.5 in sofa for 5 mins

3. Theraband exercises for strength - 7 mins

4. Sitting on feet. The tops (toes) are raised by an inch with the help of a book. - 2 mins

The "routine" takes me about 15 minutes / day.

Could you give me more information regarding your training exercises and sites where to find information and images, cause I could really use some of it myself.

As mentioned in literature (ballet and swimming) your ankle needs about 4 weeks to start showing results when ankle flexibility is in question. I'm proud to mention that I was able to improve my flexibility substantially during the last 10 days. Currently my toes are 3 3/4 inches from the ground (that's down 4 1/4) and my foot, for the first time, is showing nice curve - from my shin to my toes. Naturally I'm still way off my goal, but the progress has been encouraging! I too am thinking about acquiring foot training device that would keep my feet in pointe position during the night. The thing with bedsheets doesn't work form me, cause my feet aren't stretched to the point I would want them to be. I also noticed that the cramps in my arches subsided substantially. When I started two months ago a was able to hold my feet in pointed position only for couple of minuted before the cramps began, now I hardly get any! I wish all very good night Gordon!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, it's been a week since you last heard from me! And what a week it has been!! Two very imoprtant developments! I made my very own foot bender. It's just like the one on Heike Heels page except for the metal (aluminum) rod. I replaced it with the cut hockey stick and it works just as fine. I will post some photos in the future, I promise!! The second development is, of course, my improvement. My toes are currently "just" 3 2/4 inches from the ground which is in my oppinion very substantial improvement. How much did foot bender contribute to that decrease is open to speculation because I've never stopped using therabands. nice day to you all

I'll have to reread the thread then and give some exercises a try. I have no interest in ballet heels, but I would like to be get into 5+" heels and feel solid and comfortable in them. I hope you continue to post information and updates on your progress, I'll look forward to reading them.

Gordon, I'm sorry I missed this thread until now! Just recently, to work up from 6" heels to 6 1/2+", I've been doing things like sleeping in the pointe (with hard pillows for aid) and the like, but had no idea about your training info. Thanks for that! PM being sent. Right now I'm at about 2 1/2" - 2 1/4" (left foot - right foot), so not too bad. Personally, since I've been doing this, I HAVE been walking more gracefully in my 6" heels (highest I own now), so it DOES help. I can't say for sure how much my ankles have improved over the last few weeks, as I never thought to check it, but it had helped a bit. My own thoughts are wanting my foot/ankle to angle like the models who can walk in 6 3/4" ultra heels, which, IMO, would help you stand more upright without having to keep your knees as bent in such high heels, thus keeping better balance. I know since I've been stretching, my knees no longer need to bend with my 6"ers, and (on no slip floor anyways, as well as running track) I can walk much easier. I'm sure strengthening is as important (or more), but that will come with walking and lifting (which I do). I'd like to get my measuring below 1", which would certainly give me an advantage when my 6 3/4" heels arrive! Then comes the fun part...LOL Good thread.

Walking in ultra-highs because it's exciting...and it is!!

but, Pata, you are THE MASTER (or mistress)!!!!!!!!!!! what then is the answer? i am dying to know, as i really want to wear ballet heels (and not look foolish). and i am sure others would like to know too. i am surprised to see no one in this thread has asked you to elaborate. or perhaps, because i am so new here, i have missed something.

by the way, how do i subscribe to this thread?

sorry for not having answered but I just had forgotten about this thread. for walking ballet heels all you need is ability to stretch your feet straight. as the most use ballet boots with lower heels or cut them shorter, not even that is necessary. the real point of walking heels is STRENGTH of feet AND legs - for elegant walk also balance and strength of all the other muscles. so it is more about your general condition and not about feet. as for the most who want to walk extreme high heels it is an issue of (foot) fetish, they *train* feet only and on the other point they do this such a *the-more-the-better* way that the feet are in fact even spoiled forever for that. walking extreme high heels is not different from other sports- some can it well without training, some would improve after some training but some will never be good at some things, no matter how many of intense training hours. there must be a harmony between strength and flexibility. when your tendions are overstretched without apropriate power you won´t be able to walk heels better than before. also, because of plenty of stories and pictures claiming reality which is NOT true people tend to believe ballet heel walking might be just a normal everyday shoe after apropriate amount of training. it will not. 50 % (may be more may be less) of people NEVER will be able to walk ballet heels no matter which trainings. the other half can walk ballet heels and wonder why they say it would be difficult :w00t2: - still the most of these people of those who can walk heels, would never be able to do it an elegant way. but when doing training, then you should do it not a fetish but a sport way- warming up - not injuring - warming down- giving time to recover. check e. g. youtube - there are alot of such clips - you will see really nicely trained *flexible* feet you can only wonder but those people are not able to walk heels properly. this is also what I know from private contacts- some of people losing the ability to walk very high heels after such stretch trainings completely. but as far one sits and make pictures of that it looks geourgeous. people who perm. wear high heels obviously are not able to walk ballet heels or extreme high heels (lets say starting with 5,5 inch) AT ALL. so just reflect before what you want. extreme heels? high heels all day long but lower? extreme flexible high arched feet? but you won´t get all this. so in fact one has to decide- healthy and strong feet and ankles for walking high heels and ballets OR stretching for nice high arch looks.

• 4 weeks later...

Any updates? While I have been stretching (to accomidate 7+" heels), I have been careful about over stretching, and thus doing less passive and more strength. Currently, both of my pointes measure about 1 3/4", which is pretty good and seems to help with my ultras. I can almost get my knees straight as I walk...

Walking in ultra-highs because it's exciting...and it is!!

Just a comment about cutting the heels on a pair of cheap Devious ballet heels. I've been able to walk in a pair without cutting the heel, but one pair had the heel extending past the toe, so even with the toe area of the boot reinforced to keep from folding the heel was tipped forward when standing. This was not acceptable from a stability standpoint. The Devious boots are not made with the same care as the handmade versions from LSB, or current custom boot makers. I also have a pair from Dungeonz that has almost a 5" heel, putting the foot at maybe a 70 degree angle rather then vertical. While they are simple to walk in they don't quite look right, and have no support for the foot so -all- weight slides into the toe area. Not good either. Flexibility is very important, but so is strength and balance. You have to take your time to get all 3 built up so you can not only walk in very tall heels, but do so without injuring yourself if you happen to step on something uneven. I know I've avoided ankle injuries when not wearing heels since mine seem to be a bit more resilient then others, although when asked how I didnt break my ankle I wouldnt let on :thumbsup:

(formerly known as "JimC")

• 2 years later...

Did anyone else have this thread come up as having unread messages? Is the last message really almost 3 years old, or is there a new message which is not coming up on my browser?

'Come, and trip it as ye go

On the light fantastic toe.'

John Milton