Runways, Rockers, and Celebrities in heels?

kneehighs

A guy and a gal seen together wearing the same clothes (NOT being an uniform etc.) always turned me on. They look very good besides their blinds. Holding a guy's crown jewels, a woman looks a bit dominant :roll:.

What is good for a goose, can be good for any gender!

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, Milan has been turning out some interesting fashion for men. First, we enjoyed Prada's run which brought the similarities between the womens and mens line closer together, making it a central goal of the Spring 07 line.

Second, we saw Dior Homme's line. While it did not include men in heels, it did include very highly androgynous tunics, halter tops, bracelets, and the quintiessential Dior Homme Boot for men.

Finally, we have the Spring 07 line debuted for J.P. Gaultier. I knew this would be interesting, but never thought about actually showing men in espadrilles as a fashion statement. This line did just that. Many of the models for the mens line were women too, showing that his clothes once again crossed traditional gender boundaries. From closed toed oxford espadrilles to open toed espadrilles worn with socks, heels encompassed a new range of cutting edge freestyle freedom. Further, roughly 80% of the models featured from the style.com's diary were men in espadrille heels. Most of his t-shirt prints looked like a King, Queen, or a Jack were enlarged from a deck of cards and printed onto the shirt.

Posted Image

Front View Espadrille: fully covered toe box

Posted Image

Back View of Espadrille on Right: you can see the height of the heel

Posted Image

Open Toe Espadrille: worn with striped socks

Posted Image

Women in Mens Clothes: Rocker Image with stilettos

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

Very interesting fashion show-pictures. I never liked espadrille shoes for women but with this new espadrille shoes for men I think time has changed. It's very interesting. Very nice. Thanks for the pictures!

I never liked the espadrille shoes on women, and I'm not sure about them on men, but if they get off of the runways and into the stores, I'm willing to take a good look at them. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Just as well I bought some brown espradilles in Primark the other week then! :roll: I love the jeans on the long haired girl in the second pic. I'd happily pull those off! :wink:

Heel-D - Freestyling since 2005

I completely agree and understand what you are saying. Instead of some of that ugly high fashion they are showing in heels, why not show heels jeans and a t-shrit or a button down. It seems as if they are trying to bring it main stream but still out of reach because of the styles the models are wearing and not what average joes wear. Kneehighs would be a good model for us on the run way for example. He is always casually dressed.

Bingo! If Harley Davidson boots simply came in larger sizes, you'd see a lot of men wearing them, probably with jeans and perhaps white shirts, or something nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to bump this thread. I wore my espadrilles out and about today. Might as well make a start transferring this fashion to the streets! :roll:

A guy and a gal seen together wearing the same clothes (NOT being an uniform etc.) always turned me on. They look very good besides their blinds. Holding a guy's crown jewels, a woman looks a bit dominant :wink:.

You think? What gave it away? The position of her hand, the look of jubilee on her face, or the surprise on his?

:roll:

I've come to believe that Gaultier is really missing the boat. None of his fashions will ever see the light of day because they're way too overboard. He should pay attention to the A Fashionably Fun Collection thread. Paradise. And money. Instead, he keeps "pushing the envelope" which the vast majority reject.

What is he? A CIA plant who continues to undermine our efforts by over extenuating alternative fashions to the point where all his ideas are rejected? (He's one of the least successful, marketwise, fashion moguls in town).

Gah!

He should get a clue or two and show something that's actually marketable.

I've come to believe that Gaultier is really missing the boat. None of his fashions will ever see the light of day because they're way too overboard. He should pay attention to the A Fashionably Fun Collection thread. Paradise. And money. Instead, he keeps "pushing the envelope" which the vast majority reject.

What is he? A CIA plant who continues to undermine our efforts by over extenuating alternative fashions to the point where all his ideas are rejected? (He's one of the least successful, marketwise, fashion moguls in town).

Gah!

He should get a clue or two and show something that's actually marketable.

But a lot of high end fashion designers are all about pushing the envelope and/or being outrageous/"abnormal". Most of the stuff on the catwalk will never see the light of day, but will adapted to suit the High Street/Malls of the world. What fashionably fun wears wouldn't make for catwalk status - not because it is bad (it is very good in fact) but because it looks too normal for the designers like Gautier. Unfortunately, the Gautier collection will only see the clothes being transferred to the high street, not the heels for men.

I guess a solution to this would be to have our own fashion show with men in heels in normal everyday outfits. I can see that helping heels become more mainstream.

I'll echo Heel-D's sentiments and simultaneously agree that some, but not all of, Gaultiers Runway Lines push the envelope.

Gaultier isn't trying to market to people who want to buy from Eddie Bauer, J. Crew, or the Gap. While these companies do make products that synchronized with heels look good for a large consumer target base, they are not powered by the runway innovation of a Gualtier or Dior Homme, which market to a smaller consumer target base. Don't forget, Gaultier is the world's most fashion forward designer with respect to men in skirts :roll:

A Gaultier runway outfit will fuel more serious feedback about men in heels from fashion industry professionals than a Banana Republic or Zara outfit will anyday. Just ask the buyers at Barney's, Bergdorf's, Harvey Nichols, or Saks Fifth Avenue.

Also remember, some of his more outlandish outfits are from his Runway lines, not his Ready To Wear line which is sold in stores on a larger basis.

Aside from that, I think heels can look good in jeans and a t-shirt!

Hello all, I'm new here in the forum and I must admit that this thread is really great! I've never seen so many catwalk pictures where men are wearing shoes with (higher) heels. And most of them look fantastic! :roll: I would be happy when you share more of these pictures. Lovely greetings Annika

Here's some Prince Videos:

The first is from I think one of his first TV performances. The whole band is in heels too. I love the song as well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x29u4I3CfwE

The guy can really move in those heels in this next video! Not sure about the outfit though!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-X_btS37YY

His latest video, Black Sweat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAUxP9u_4jU

I really like the stillettos and the suit in the last video. I think this is a great way to freestyle. Definitely his classiest outfits IMO. :roll:

Agree, great vids of Prince and his flair for fashion. It is rare not to see him in high heels! And the Ladys in his band are in high heels, mainly Boots, most of the time. Always enjoyed Sheila E when she was with Prince! david

"Dress For Your Own Pleasure"

Heel-D Awesome links. Thanks for sharing.

Morrissey: Interesting Drug 1989 (schoolboys in stilettos)

I thought it would be appropriate to add the Interesting Drug video link by Morrissey here.

Here's the Wikipedia post to the song.

From this Morrissey videography, we learn a bit about the video.

"Interesting Drug"

This video was also directed by Tim Broad. It shows mostly four young boys in high heels liberating animals from experimental laboratories with the help of a woman played by Diane Alton. Scenes are interspersed with shots of Morrissey, Andy Rourke, Mike Joyce and Craig Gannon from the 1988 Wolverhampton concert. The audio track is longer than the single/album version by approximately 23 seconds. This was compiled on "Hulmerist" as well as the "¡Oye Esteban!" DVD.

I couldn't find anything else on why Tim Broad and Morrissey decided to include the shots of schoolboy's in stilettos. So if anyone else has any additional information on this, it would be much appreciated! :roll:

And thanks for posting that Smiths video kneehighs! :roll: I've seen this video many times on VH2 and VH1 Classic. Always wondered what the heels were about.

Here's some T-Rex videos showing lead singer Marc Bolan in heels and various other shoes. He freestyled very well because he didn't look outrageous like David Bowie obviously intentionally did.

T-Rex - Jeepster

Marc is wearing white heels in this video. Looks good too.

T-Rex - Get It On

I really like his outfit in this video. I like the co-ordinated t-shirt, jacket, jeans and Mary-Janes. It's a personal favourite of mine. Audio is bad and out of sync unfortunately!

T-Rex - Life's A Gas

Not sure if he has heels on, but I like the outfit and it would definitely work with heels.

Heel-D Your welcome. And thank you for posting those fabulous links to the T-Rex videos.

Announcing Nine West's Vivienne Westwood Collection: Unveiled with men in women's shoes on runway

Nine West has partnered with three renowned designers: Sophia Kokosalaki, Thakoon, and Vivienne Westwood. "Go behind the scenes as designers Vivienne Westwood, Thakoon and Sophia Kokosalaki send their exclusive collections for Nine West down the runway."

There are about three shots of men donning either women's shoes or women's accessories.

Granted, they are not wearing heels, but ballet flats is a good start. When asked what defines Vivienne Westwood, Vivienne replied, "It's Avante Garde...snip...they're sort of against the consumer society...snip..."

I couldn't find anything else on why Tim Broad and Morrissey decided to include the shots of schoolboy's in stilettos. So if anyone else has any additional information on this, it would be much appreciated! :roll:

From what I understand, it was primarily to increase exposure of the video, but the idea was conceived primarily due to the Robert Palmer video of the mid/late late 80's where the "hottie" displayed more towards the end was a transvestite. It may also have gained some impetus with John Ritter's son wearing heels as a stunt (ghastly color, and style not too cool, either), but the latter remains a guess.

• 4 weeks later...

New York Times Magazine: Sunday, August 27, 2006

from p. 224-234 in the print edition

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/27/style/tmagazine/t_w_1562_well_post_.html?_r=1&oref=login

Boy Meets Girl

And what of it? Today's attitude is fashionably indifferent

Does anyone remember the idea of dressing suggestively, that anachronistic phrase from a time when what was suggested was supposed to be clear to any and all? Women dressed suggestively, it almost went without saying, for a man’s gaze. Men dressed, well, they dressed like men. When a figure like Marlene Dietrich made the occasional excursion into masculine attire, it was assumed that she did so as an impersonator or as a tourist, and with the clear understanding that her femininity would be restored at the end of the show. Dietrich’s sexual tastes, as it turned out, may have been a lot more plural than the studios encouraged movie fans to believe. And it seems pretty clear now, more than half a century later, that the star so at home in a Jean Louis dress and feather boa, or a top hat and dandy’s tails, was sending a message about the shape of things to come.

Since Dietrich’s time, dualities like butch/femme have come to seem kind of clunky. The performance that is drag seems as passé as a Flash Gordon comic. Changes in how we view the mostly false oppositions both between and within the sexes have come so fast that even language hasn’t caught up. A lot would have once been suggested, in other words, by the image of a woman wearing fishnet stockings, a fancy frock and a pair of wingtip brogues. One would have assumed she had something intimate and possibly crucial to tell you about herself. Her attire had a message to transmit then, and probably still does. The message before might have had something loaded to convey about gender. The message now would be about yawning boredom with fixed roles and the indifference a new generation feels toward outdated boundaries.

I AM WOMAN? all photographs by Jean-Baptiste Mondino

Posted Image

EVERY TOM, DICK, AND MARY

Posted Image

THE FOUR LADS

Posted Image

kneehighs comment: Can you spot the guy from the first pic?

GIRLS WILL BE BOYS

Posted Image

There are about three shots of men donning either women's shoes or women's accessories.

Other than the flats, didn't see any shots of men in women's shoes, but at 1:41, there was a guy wearing plaid skirt (can't call it a kilt as it doesn't meet the technical definition).

Boy Meets Girl

Couldn't pull up the news link without registering, but I think the most interesting thing is that in the succeeding pictures, the guy is wearing a different pair of heels every time, and one of the girls is wearing his flats!

Other than the flats, didn't see any shots of men in women's shoes, but at 1:41, there was a guy wearing plaid skirt (can't call it a kilt as it doesn't meet the technical definition).

That would be correct.

I linked it to demonstrate that high end designers are open to men crossing traditional gender boundaries. If only I could find other Vivienne Westwood pics.

I'll be at a couple of runway shows for nyc fashion week this coming week, so I'll be sure to keep my eyes peeled open for any good demos of freestyling potential.

If only I could find other Vivienne Westwood pics.

Westwood has been blurring gender boundaries for many years - and is annoyingly about the only designer to do so consistently.

I've now left HHPlace. Feel free to use the means listed in my profile if you wish to contact me.

IF only I could get some pics. I went through all the archives on her official web site and was only able to find a bunch of guys in skirts.

I've read elsewhere that she has put men in heels before...someday we'll get those coveted pics archived in this thread.

ramon020 Thanks for the pic! :evil:

Heres a link to the picture of the Jitrois advertisement:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/81841782@N00/85301712/

Calv

Is anyone here able to copy pictures from Adobe Flash Player 9 to their hard drive and then upload them to their personal online photo storage system?

The original picture is still available at the Jitrois site:

http://www.jitrois.com

1. Click on "collection" on the lower left hand corner

2. Then click on "preceding collections" on the upper right hand corner

3. Then click on "autumn-winter 2003-2004 collection"

4. Then click on "campaign"

5. The sixth picture in will be the photo above.

• 1 month later...