Runways, Rockers, and Celebrities in heels?

kneehighs

"Can't we just give our periods instead?" ROTFL!!!! Thankfully, my wife loves how I look in heels, and frequently shops online for me. Just the other day she sent me an e-mail with links to several different pairs of stiletto boots and sandals she'd love to see on me.

"Basic instincts, social life... Paradoxes side by side... Don't submit to stupid rules... Be yourself and not a fool... Don't accept average habits... Open your heart and push the limits..." - Enigma

"I" want a real, smelly, hairy, well built and well endowed man, not some little hairless fairy in heels!"

Several months ago, there was a discussion on one of the threads here, concerning woman's attitude toward men wearing high heels and other items of clothing that have a 100% association with females. " My comment at the time pointed toward the "survival of the species" instinct buried deep within the female genom, that attracts them to the rawest, roughest, most powerfully built, masculine looking, manly acting example of the species that will propagate and provide and protect the female and their offspring.

While the current 2010, nuclear-age population of "fashion trend setters" might wish to "expand their horizons" by including items of apparel into their wardrobe that, when seen at a distance, are almost 100% associated with the female gender, we've still a long way to go, baby -- regardless of how many "trend setters" wander out and about wearing these items.

It's going to take a long, long time - many, many years - before the "survival of the species" instinct is modified to the point where accepting men wearing specific items of traditionally female gender identifying clothing is the norm.

That being said, however, it is a fact that the only way this change will/can ever be accomplished is by continued exposure of the idea by everyone of these "trend setters" as well as those of us that have the courage to wear our female attire, (ie: JeffB. HappyFeat, Thighbootguy, Johnieheel, roniheels,as well as a lot of others, out and about. We are the "trend setters" in our own limited geographical sphere while the fashion crowd are setting the trend world wide.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Love the link Elegant, thank you for posting this, I hope this is a start of a new mens fashions movement.

I also feel it's time to end gender based clothing that men should have the same fashion rights as the woman have enjoyed for 60 years. Equality in Fashion!

• 2 weeks later...

The rock singer in the last photo seemed well put together, others...not so much. I think that like other subjects of history, a good bit has been forgotten concerning men's fashion. If one could not attend a public school or a college and get true, complete and unadulterated history concerning governments, nations and religions why should men's fashion be any different? I have personally concluded that men, especially in the United States, have intentionally been socially confined to the limited fashion choices expressed that are near militaristic for several reasons. I may have expressed this opinion before so therefore I will stop there. If anyone is interested I will post more. Above all, never forget that silence is consent. To let another, a job or society's pressures decide what you wear or any other thing for that matter is to give them control. You are no longer the captain! Aaron

To let another, a job or society's pressures decide what you wear or any other thing for that matter is to give them control. You are no longer the captain!

Aaron

While that's true, and I agree with you, there are times, especially if you are in a long term relationship, when you have to consider the partner's feelings in your decisions. You don't have relinquish total control, but you have to make sure your partner is not opposed to your clothing choices, or you risk alienation or worse. A good captain in today's world is a leader and teacher who commands respect, not a tyrannical militaristic dictator.

Steve

I'd wear the dress that Lenny Kravitz was wearing in an instant! Although I'd probably pair it with black skinny jeans and flat kneehigh boots or heeled ankle boots.

Heel-D - Freestyling since 2005

Well said Steve and I suppose I should have issued the following disclaimer that: such is the case with exception to a spouse as when a couple is married, "the two shall become one flesh" and therefore as two enjoined as such, the other's opinion or tastes are to be taken into account and respect commanded. However, long term partners are quite different.

While I liked the link and the thought of fashions being ubiquitous to either gender. The pieces shown I would prefer not be seen on a male or female. Granted, I'm assuming the stylings are to be avant garde, I don't particularly like the business and apparent randomness of the outfits. I do appreciate the attempt tho. :wave: Cheers

While that's true, and I agree with you, there are times, especially if you are in a long term relationship, when you have to consider the partner's feelings in your decisions. You don't have relinquish total control, but you have to make sure your partner is not opposed to your clothing choices, or you risk alienation or worse. A good captain in today's world is a leader and teacher who commands respect, not a tyrannical militaristic dictator.

Steve

Agreed, and as I'm dating (for a whopping two weeks) a woman whom I admire a good deal, but whom I'm unsure as to how she feels about my penchant for heels, I'm unsure as to how to proceed. She's supportive of the GLBT movement, but I'm not one of those four. I'm just a guy who prefers wearing heels and skirts (mostly sarongs), although never out in public (public can be so cruel).

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.

You need to find out early in the relationship whether or not she is willing to tolerate or even enthusiastically share your hobby. The longer you wait and the deeper you two get, the worse it could be when she finds out you've been keeping a secret. So start now. Communicate. One way to get started is to go to a mall with her, preferably one with oodles of shoe stores. Window shop with her, and see what she likes. Is she eager and excited to try on shoes? Does she want to buy every pair she sees? Or is she so-so about it? Or maybe she dislikes it? At least find out where she is on the spectrum. Show her what styles YOU like, and watch her body language. If she turns her nose up at what you like and loves what you don't, then take her home and end the relationship; you don't have to tell her about your hobby at all. On the other foot, if there's a lot of common ground, ramp the relationship up a notch by taking her out for a drink and hinting that you've been experimenting with high heel shoes yourself for a while, and watch her reaction. Proceed cautiously, but speak very confidently, not like you're embarrassed and ashamed. Confidence is sexy and women admire that. This gal could be very impressed with your knowledge of high heels and your sensitivity as well as your confidence. You could be just the kind of special guy she's looking for. You never know. Good luck and keep us informed! Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Some blog talking about an editorial story in which the girl takes home her man and dresses him up in her clothes. Photos and video included:

http://progressivepulse.com/blog2/2010/09/17/on-the-set-with-e-cruz-progressive-fashion-hair-and-make-up-by-edward-cruz/

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

• 5 months later...

Here's an interesting interview with hair stylist Derek J. He makes some interesting points about how wearing heels inspires women and how avoids potentially negative situations.

VIBE.COM 9.9.10

I used to be a tennis shoe freak. I had over 300 pairs of tennis shoes. I started wearing heels about four years ago [but] it was a gradual transition to where I am now. I wore heels one day because I bought some pants that were too long and I didn’t have time to get them hemmed, so I bought some heels to make me taller so my pants could fit and that’s how it started. Once I tried the heels when I was out I got good reviews. After that, I gradually started buying another pair and another pair and then I got into a skinny leg jean.

I used to just wear pumps but now I wear boots, shorts and thigh highs. I know women understand when you put on heels it makes you feel different. It gives you a different swag, a different walk. It gives you confidence. You feel good, you feel sexy. So I got to the point now where I’d do what I want to do. At first it was just for me and I didn’t understand what impact it was gonna have on people. [but] when I go to the club–I’ll be at a gay club and these guys will come up to me and be like, “You helped me be who I am,” and at first I was like, “I don’t care, I didn’t do this for you,” but then as I started to really see what I was doing without knowing I was doing it, I started to embrace the situation.

It’s not just with gay men but with straight women, too. Women will say, “I never used to wear heels until I saw you wearing heels,” or, “You make me more confident in myself” so seeing that from me just being myself and doing what I do is changing peoples lives–it’s my responsibility to keep it going.

I don’t put myself in situations that I know can bring negativity. I know there are certain places where I will not go dressed like this. I don’t go places by myself for the same reason. I try to take precautions the best way I can to protect myself from getting that negativity. But it amazes me in the Black community how accepting people have been of the situation.

It makes me nervous some times with straight men because you don’t know where they’re coming from but they’ll be like, “Oh, you’re that dude that be on TV with them heels on,” and I’m like, “Really? Well, thank you.” And then if I’m out and there’s somebody being ignorant or being closed minded, you can see other people are like, “Do you know who you’re talking to? It ain’t going down like that,” so I don’t even have to do anything anymore. And if I’m out and I don’t have them on people get upset. They’ll be like, “Where you’re shoes at?” And even with the older people in the Black community, like your grandmother and grandfather–the older men and women–they’re like, “Oh baby where your shoes at? We like to see you in you’re shoes.”

So it’s just been amazing to me to see the acceptance of it. I never would have thought. People say things like, “Only you can do this because I’ve seen people that have heels on all the time and they look a hot mess but when you put them on it’s just you like that’s what you’re supposed to do.” But really, confidence goes a long way. –As Told To Starrene Rhett

Catch Derek J every Tuesday on Oxygen’s Hair Battle Spectacular at 10/9c

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Does anybody here know anything about the Turkish artist named Serhat Kidil? His public uniform is a suit and pumps. I don't know if the pumps are more a gimmick to make himself more memorable to the public or if it's who he really is....becuase most of the information available on him is in Turkish I was hoping there were was someone here who could provide more information about his motives or the general public's reactions.

GOOGLE IMAGE SEARCH RESULT

SERHAT KIDIL YOU TUBE CHANNEL

ON A TURKISH TALK SHOW

• 3 months later...

So I just checked into my hotel here in Brussels and found this Kazaky video in my inbox, which was directed by one of the fashion industry's most prestigious photography teams, Inez & Vinoodh and styled by Nicola Formichetti, the equally famous stylist behind Lady Gaga.

Looks like Kazaky is fast paving the way for men in heels to be considered "sexy", even by females--which partially explains why the Ukrainian girls I recently met literally gushed with lust at my pumps, because they loved Kazaky.

Long live Kazaky! Tour dates ----> http://www.kazaky.com/Events/

I wish I could do a google search in Ukraine for "female Kazaky fans"...probably would find loads of hot girls who would be open to men in heels as a result of Kazaky's influence.

Edited by kneehighs

Funny you should mention these guys. One of my co-workers mentioned something about his girlfriend checking these guys out. Not sure what her interest was, but I have my thoughts. So these guys I work with have me pull up a couple Youtube video's that this girl was told to email me (I should have kept the links) I kinda kept my mouth shut and listened to the general comments - - - Oh my - - Not good. First off, most of these guys I work with have absolutely no fashion concept, even when it comes to what they like to see women wear. Naked is the preferred fashion. Most of the guys think of changing hats as a fashion statement. They think presenting themselves in a positive manner is buying their buddies significant other a beer at the VFW and hope she flashes some tit like at Mardi Gras. Actually, I kinda think the women might be more interested in this conceptual male fashion idea, at least if only to see more of it, but when you hang around Neanderthal mentality guys and right wing evangelicals, it becomes a " bunch or weird European gay guys trying to attract attention " and the concept of fashion or at least artistic concept goes right out window with the empty Bud Light can. Ohhhh - - - I forgot - They want any one of these guys to be their cell mates during that 6 to 12 month stint for DUI and domestic abuse - - know what I mean. As for me - - Wish I was 30 years younger and could dance that well.

I've loved Kazaky for a while now, since thier first song "In The Middle" blew up really. I learned to walk in heels to a lot of thier songs. My favourite video of them is in the DSquared fashion show. Just search Kazaky DQsuared to find it. They give me LIFE in that show. Since then of course they've released a lot of new music videos and even collaborated with Madonna on her Girls Gone Wild video. If I do recall correctly too, there have been men in heels in Lady Gaga's, Gerri Halliwell and Kylie Minogue's videos too.

A lot of korean stars wear heels. Well I say a lot, a few of the males do in thier live preformances. Funnily enough a lot of the K-Pop male stars wear makeup, hair extentions (ect), and it's not seem as a sign of weakness or femaninity, if anything it's just fashion and makes the girls swoon! (I guess all that talk about Asia being 5-10 years ahead of the western world in fashion is true.)

Jo Kwon of 2PM could be sporting the Jeffrey Campbell "Shadow Stud" shoes in thier live animal preformance!

Posted Image

Justin Tranter of the Semi Precious Weapons is another male who has been wearing high heels for pretty much all of his muscial carrerr, along with makeup as part of his andrognyous outlook.

There are more and more examples of men wearing heels in public, especailly for fashion purposes or as part of an outfit for music-related tasks, you just have to know where to look I guess! Haha.

Edited by LiveAndLearn

What Other People Think Of Me, Ain't None Of My Buisness ~ RuPaul

• 6 months later...

As the title of this thread originally suggests, it's about runways, rockers, and celebrities in heels....

And if you've been following the Menswear shows in London lately, the boundaries were totally pushed by JW Anderson, on the runway.

Not my cup of tea, but nonetheless interesting. Please keep comments civil:

http://www.vogue.co....ens/jw-anderson

As the title of this thread originally suggests, it's about runways, rockers, and celebrities in heels....

And if you've been following the Menswear shows in London lately, the boundaries were totally pushed by JW Anderson, on the runway.

Not my cup of tea, but nonetheless interesting. Please keep comments civil:

http://www.vogue.co....ens/jw-anderson

Not my cup of tea either! But at least stuff like this is showing up in the mainstream public eye. But it won't truly catch on till it hits street level.

Not a style I'd personally choose to wear. There was an article on menswear for women (London Evening Standard, Tue 8th January 2013, page 28):

http://www.standard....oo-8442150.html

which said "masculine tailoring for women is often a far cry from what a bloke would actually wear" and I guess the converse could be said of womenswear for men too.

I guess that designers experimenting with crossover styles is good for public awareness and encouraging acceptance of diversity (even if people are just dismissing it as ridiculous), but personally I feel more comfortable wearing stuff from the womens department rather than anything designed as "womenswear for men".

If you like it, wear it.

Not a style I'd personally choose to wear. There was an article on menswear for women (London Evening Standard, Tue 8th January 2013, page 28):http://www.standard....oo-8442150.htmlwhich said "masculine tailoring for women is often a far cry from what a bloke would actually wear" and I guess the converse could be said of womenswear for men too.I guess that designers experimenting with crossover styles is good for public awareness and encouraging acceptance of diversity (even if people are just dismissing it as ridiculous), but personally I feel more comfortable wearing stuff from the womens department rather than anything designed as "womenswear for men".

Great article. Thanks for the link. I personally believe that when a cultural thought leader like a designer (designers rank the highest on the fashion food chain) promotes ideas from a platform of recognized cultural authority (the London Fashion Week runway) that challenge gender stereotypes about clothes, he is contributing to the same philosophy that we embrace as freestylers.That the male sex wearing clothing culturally defined as being "feminine" is to be honored as creative art, something aspirational, something inherently beautiful. Art itself, creation itself, knows no gender. It's innately gender free. It's culture and language that ascribe masculinity and femininity to art and therefore clothing.Provided that creation still allows one to maintain the differences between the biological sexes, I think this is an advancement in the right direction.

KNEEHIGHS, Your point about the relationship between what a designer puts out and its subsequent wear embodies the essence of freestylers. The freestyler is taking that artistic license and applying it directly to their own live canvass; THEIR BODY. THe designer already has established credibility which is why the media covers these fashion events and the way people later buy these products and create their own sense of style is an art form worthy of follow-up journalism. Your efficient, yet eloquent, response is worthy of my "Shakespearean Award of the Day" as it is the most thought-provoking reply using the least number of words that I have read today! HappyinHeels

• 6 months later...

I found this topic back to put this link :

Now a different question. i have seen Andrej Pejic and other guys modeling women's clothes recently.

Do any of you now women having modeled mens clothes ? YSL could have have some to present his collection for

couldn't he ?