Runways, Rockers, and Celebrities in heels?

kneehighs

• 4 weeks later...

Take a glance at Willy Wonka in Tim Burton's "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory", starring Johnny Depp. He's wearing 1" or 2" boots - not much, but still heels. Anyway, Depp in Burton's movies makes a fine example of steampunk / gothic fashion.

What is good for a goose, can be good for any gender!

• 5 weeks later...

Rick Owens is at it again.

At the current F/W 2009 Mens Fashion Week shows in Paris, he had men in heels on the runway.

http://vimeo.com/2934110

The first model in heels is viewable at 3:50

edit: Thierry Mugler also had tons of men in tight, calf hugging knee boots with pants tucked into them. They are flat heels, but nonetheless interesting:

http://mensrag.com/2009/01/23/runway-rag-paris-fashion-week-fall-2009-thierry-mugler-fall-2009/

And of course, Ann Demeulemeester included men in flat knee boots with pants tucked into the boots:

http://men.style.com/fashion/collections/F2009MEN/complete/thumb/ADMEN

John Galliano also had men in flat knee boots:

http://men.style.com/fashion/collections/F2009MEN/complete/thumb/JGMEN

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

Rick Owens is at it again.

At the current F/W 2009 Mens Fashion Week shows in Paris, he had men in heels on the runway.

http://vimeo.com/2934110

The first model in heels is viewable at 3:50

Some interesting outfits, but I expected more variety. And, despite low sound quality [overdriven amp / DAC in the camera]. the music was wonderful! It touched me to the deepest, I'm still crying.

edit: Thierry Mugler also had tons of men in tight, calf hugging knee boots with pants tucked into them. They are flat heels, but nonetheless interesting:

http://mensrag.com/2009/01/23/runway-rag-paris-fashion-week-fall-2009-thierry-mugler-fall-2009/

And of course, Ann Demeulemeester included men in flat knee boots with pants tucked into the boots:

http://men.style.com/fashion/collections/F2009MEN/complete/thumb/ADMEN

John Galliano also had men in flat knee boots:

http://men.style.com/fashion/collections/F2009MEN/complete/thumb/JGMEN

Re John Galliano: I was going to close the gallery window because all outfits seemed uninteresting to me, but I was greatly surprised when I reached the 42nd one and all the succeeding.

Re Thierry Mugler: great to see some classy leather pants, very stylish!

Re Ann Demeulemeester: very, VERY elegant outfits. I loved them all.

You found some collections that greatly appeal to my taste. Thank you for the post, I greatly appreciate it!

Stuart Weitzman Makes Heels For A Man!!!

http://www.thefrisky.com/post/246-nice-heels-dude/

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5gPmVkcDf9yr2XTNYXL9ds1oZ6tDw

Lead singer Justin Tranter amps up the glam factor in heels by Weitzman

2 days ago

NEW YORK — Justin Tranter isn't going to let being a man stand in his way of wearing glamorous high heels.

The lead singer of New York garage band Semi Precious Weapons is now the proud owner of two pairs of Stuart Weitzman boots: one a knee-high metallic leather boot, the other a black patent-leather bootie with a silver heel.

"The knee high boot was Stuart's idea after seeing clips of my live show, and then I wanted the ankle boot to have something to rock on the subway," Tranter said in an email to the AP.

"I love heels for two reasons: One, they make my amazing legs look even better and two, I love being able to make an artistic statement without even opening my mouth."

It's the first time Weitzman has created heels for a man, but the designer says they didn't require much retrofitting of a size-12 pair of women's boots. The only change was to widen them "to accommodate the anatomy of Justin's feet," Weitzman says.

Tranter has a keen interest in fashion and accessories. He recently launched a jewelry collection called Fetty, offering hard-core punk designs, such as a damaged heart paired with an ax, that hits three different price points - starting at $10 but with some pieces selling at Barneys New York for several hundreds of dollars.

Tranter's mother is a Chicago-area jewelry designer and he says she serves as his style mentor

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

"...a pair of custom-made man boots, or "moots" as they're calling them..." "Moots?" ;-) I think I'm going to puke on some Uggs...

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.

What is it with these people getting items of clothing and accessories normally associated with women's fashion and changing the name of the item by changing a letter to M or adding "man" to it, like manbag, murse and now moots, for the male wardrobe? It's as if men will only use or wear something if has the word man attached to it. Boots are boots, a handbag is a handbag, and a purse is a purse! Don't be ashamed to use or wear them. It's all a bit stupid TBH.

Heel-D - Freestyling since 2005

well, it's all a "head game" HeelD, thats all it really is you know,I fully agree with you on that all the way, this thing with labels is so stupid like "for him-for her" kind of stuff I just really dont know where the hell that ever came from, since it is taken to EXTREMES like even shaving cream & blades for god's sake- I mean give me a break, & also bath liquid soap seems to indicate "for women" kind of idea as well I could find LOTS of uses for so-called "womens purses" for myself in any given moment (I have one "hobo" type leather bag that I use for my very expensive studio moniter headphones to keep them like new that I bought @ wilson's leather shop when it was @ my nearest mall) but jusy try to convince most men to even HOLD one for their wives without getting self-aware of the fact that they are holding a "purse"!! (theres that "for women only" thing again!);-)

i actually don't mind people adding a "M" to traditional feminine clothing/shoes to designated them as for male... in a strange type of way, for some people, having such designation is the only way they can accept that men can wear those items... it is a sign that society is beginning to accept such items and trying to work out how to categorise it in their (narrow?) mind set.... more importantly, it is also a sign that the people with money (corporates) are starting to realise there is a market and finding a way to market and sell these items..... so at the end of the day, isn't a more general acceptance of our choice to wear heels what we are after? i can't wait to be able to go into a shop and buy my pair of high meels, moot, medges, mallet flats and milettos lol

i actually don't mind people adding a "M" to traditional feminine clothing/shoes to designated them as for male... in a strange type of way, for some people, having such designation is the only way they can accept that men can wear those items...

It just proves that most men live in paralysing fear of being considered and labelled "effeminate", and the problem lies in THEIR OWN minds. They define their "masculinity" in a negative way, by avoiding / shunning anything associated with females. That's stupid for me, because they'll reduce their repertoire of behaviour even more because of progressing women's emancipation. Contrary to that, I'll stick with defining my "masculinity" by fostering the features that used to be considered manly [but no longer are exclusively masculine], e.g. courage, responsibility, perseverance, self-discipline or sticking to my outlook on life.

Lux Interior, lead singer for the legendary underground punkabilly band the Cramps, passed away this week at age 62 from a longstanding heart condition. "Lux was a fearless frontman who transformed every stage he stepped on into a place of passion, abandon, and true freedom. He is a rare icon who will be missed dearly," the Cramps' publicist said in an official statement. Lux will be dearly missed, and we send our condolences to his bandmate and soulmate of more than 30 years, guitar-wielding vixen Ivy Rorschach. Their partnership was one of the great rock 'n' roll romances of the ages.

Eric Lee Purkhiser's (aka Lux) red pump-wearing, red-leather-clad rendition of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5mH38AhOHIis a classic. Apparently, wearing heels on stage and in music videos wasn't a one-time thing with him, as he's seen wearing black pumps in

I recall queing a few songs of theirs at five o'clock in the morning back when I was in college. It was a stunt back then, but the morning before, after ending my two hour shift just before 7 am by playing one song I enjoyed called "Surfin Dead," which was in the movie Return of the Living Dead, I said, "He wears heels, which, personally, I think is cool. Tune in tomorrow morning, when I'll be doing the same."

It was a totaly slip, as I meant to say, "when I'll be playing more." The "producer" (it was all student-run) came in, told me what I'd said, and said, "You said it, you do it." I'd worn heels long before, but had none, so that afternoon I drove 45 minutes into the nearest city in search of a pair that would fit. About two hours later, with one tight-fighting ugly blue low-heeled pumps in the car, I walking into a shoe outlet where I found a pair of white, four-inch leather pumps with a well-proportioned heel that fit like a glove. I took the blue pumps back.

The next morning I wore my staion-logo t-shirt, jeans, and actually wore the pumps from my dorm to the station. I punked out (gelled hair, some makeup, jewelry), and wore glasses in the hopes no one would recognize me. When I arrived, the producer was there (what? did he actually show at 3am every morning?) and took polaroids of me walking, sitting, and DJing in those white pumps. He posted the 'roids on the station's bulletin board.

Thanks, Chip. If my friends didn't think I was off the wall before, they did now.

I didn't care, as I got to wear heels to work (even though it was volunteer, for me, as part of my Communications major, later abandoned). It was the first time I wore heels in public, even though it took a stunt for me to do it. College kids can be cruel, but at least I was known as an off-the-wall dj personality, so I got away with it, so long as it was only on occasion and connected with an event.

Lux, on the other hand, felt comfortable being radically different, even (perhaps especially) in public, and I commend him for that.

Keep surfin, Lux. Keep surfin.

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.

i actually don't mind people adding a "M" to traditional feminine clothing/shoes to designated them as for male... in a strange type of way, for some people, having such designation is the only way they can accept that men can wear those items...

i can't wait to be able to go into a shop and buy my pair of high meels, moot, medges, mallet flats and milettos lol

Me neither. I can't wait to go shopping wearing my "mumps" with stiletto heels. ;-):w00t2::grin::lmao::jap:

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Bobby Trendy - one of the forward thinking/dressing/styled guys...

Uh... yuck. The more that sort of stuff is out there, the more that's the sort of "flamboyant gay" (it's a quote from the linked page) image people will perceive me as if they see me wearing heels.

We need to see more normal displays of men wearing heels.

Thanks, kneehighs. The boots in the second picture are nice and the boots in the first picture are like the boots I wear every day, more or less (as far as heel height and style go).

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Uh... yuck. The more that sort of stuff is out there, the more that's the sort of "flamboyant gay" (it's a quote from the linked page) image people will perceive me as if they see me wearing heels.

I agree that there should be more photos of famous men in heels yet in a more day to day look.

However, the media still regards men in heels as a strange phenomenon, not acceptable male footwear. That's why you get all of these photos of outlandish heels worn by people of colorful taste.

I myself am waiting for a photo of a famous guy in jeans, a dress shirt and 3-4 inch stiletto heels. You know one of those looks you see on day to day women. When more and more of these photos emerge then I'll believe we're getting somewhere.

i think the keyword in your post is "flamboyant".... highlighting the fact that even in the gay community, wearing heels is notreally the norm..... i personally think that if heels were part of the norm for gay male, then i would have a much easier time wearing heels as a non gay male... a lot of male trends are bought across from the gay community once they are common place there..... it is then not much of a jump to general men trends.....

the problem is that it is still the "flamboyant" ones that are wearing the heels and not really a common choice for a gay male to wear heels anywhere they go (or maybe they simply don't want to) that is slowing the pick up of men in heels.....

not sure if that made sense or come out as what i've intended.... i suppose i'm suggesting that the gay community often serves a great middle ground that help defines what is purely feminine and masculine (not saying this is correct or right but it seems to be the case)... and anything that is worn as common place in the gay community falls in the grey area where it have a higher chance to fit in both categories....