Knee pain when walking in flats

Shintav

Question

Hello, I am new here and this is my first posting.

I have read through many of the postings trying to find similar experiences to my own, little luck so far. My problem occurs when I walk flat-footed; simply put, my knees hurt. It is my understanding that things should be the other way around. I should be feeling knee pain in heels, but not when walking flat. On most days (5 out of 7) I wear 2 to 3 inch heels for work and other daily activities. On special days (the other 1 to 2 days) I wear 4+ inches or go completely flat on some occasions. (We all have to grunge now and then) This is where the problem occurs. When I walk flat I feel pain in my knees that will generally stay with me for up to a week. It is as if the transition away from heels hurts me. If I wear heels again the pain goes completely away and things are back to normal.

Has anybody experienced this? I have considered not wearing heels at all, but at this point in my job and personal life I really cannot do that, nor would I want to. Am I damaging my knees while wearing heels, only to feel it later, or is walking in flats the cause… as odd as that my seem? Personaly, this is a passion for me, so I am not inclined to stop wearing heels unless there is a real threat of being crippled.

Helen

10 answers to this question

Upon further study and many exams, it seems that I am shifting the way that I walk while wearing tall shoes. When I am off on the weekends I walk flat, but I am not really changing the way that I walk. So, as a result, there is pain during the transition. So it seems the solution is simple, if not boring :w00t2:

Shintav! telling us of your condition reminds me of the guy that went to see his doctor with the complaint that when ever he hit his head against a brick wall, it hurt. The doctor's advice: Don't hit your head against a brick wall. :w00t2: So now, not that your condition isn't painful, what advice can I give you? :lmao::lmao:;-) So, welcome and now that you've joined us, why not join our discussions and add your valuable experience to the pool of information from dedicated heel wearers?

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I can suggest two things to help compensate for the way you walk when walking flat. Dr Scholls has a heel pad that corrects the alignment of your heel to arch that simply sits in the heel section of your shoe. When you wear flats or any other flat soled shoe, place a pair of these in your shoe. It will correct the alignment of your foot when walking flat. There is also another heel insert that is made for high heel shoes. You could try those out as well. You will probably notice a good bit of pain relief, as these inserts realign your foot, thereby realigning every joint up to your lower back. The other thing I can offer is that before walking around flat, sit in the pike position (on the floor with your legs outstretched and together, flat on the floor), take a towel or belt and place it around the balls of your feet, then grasping both ends of the towel or belt gently pull towards your torso stretching your feet, arches, ankles, and calves. Hold this GENTLE stretch until you feel the tightening of your calf muscles start to subside, the rest for about 30 seconds and repeat two or three times. Over the course of about a month, you should be able to wear flats or heels without a lot of difficulty. This stretch is used by many people in the dance profession so that they can easily transition between heels and flats. Remember though, I am not a doctor, so practice this at your own discresion.

"Happiness comes from within, but if there is nothing within, you can never truly be happy." - Me

I can suggest two things to help compensate for the way you walk when walking flat. Dr Scholls has a heel pad that corrects the alignment of your heel to arch that simply sits in the heel section of your shoe. When you wear flats or any other flat soled shoe, place a pair of these in your shoe. It will correct the alignment of your foot when walking flat. There is also another heel insert that is made for high heel shoes. You could try those out as well. You will probably notice a good bit of pain relief, as these inserts realign your foot, thereby realigning every joint up to your lower back.

The other thing I can offer is that before walking around flat, sit in the pike position (on the floor with your legs outstretched and together, flat on the floor), take a towel or belt and place it around the balls of your feet, then grasping both ends of the towel or belt gently pull towards your torso stretching your feet, arches, ankles, and calves. Hold this GENTLE stretch until you feel the tightening of your calf muscles start to subside, the rest for about 30 seconds and repeat two or three times. Over the course of about a month, you should be able to wear flats or heels without a lot of difficulty. This stretch is used by many people in the dance profession so that they can easily transition between heels and flats. Remember though, I am not a doctor, so practice this at your own discresion.

One other word of caution: No exercise should ever cause pain! This not the sort of discomfort that most people experience with a new exercise, but actual pain! If you actually experiece pain then you must stop the exercise immediately and seek professional help. :w00t2:

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Shintav! telling us of your condition reminds me of the guy that went to see his doctor with the complaint that when ever he hit his head against a brick wall, it hurt. The doctor's advice: Don't hit your head against a brick wall. :w00t2:

So now, not that your condition isn't painful, what advice can I give you? ;-):lmao::)

So, welcome and now that you've joined us, why not join our discussions and add your valuable experience to the pool of information from dedicated heel wearers?

*sighs*

my question was more specific than that originally, but I really do appreciate the late reply. Fortunately for me I am in a job now were I do not have to wear such fancy shoes.

To respond to your comment, the part that confused me was why I only felt the pain walking flat? Using your colorful analogy, It has been my experience that most walls hurt when you are hitting them, not the case here were the lack of said wall was the apparent source of pain. Probably not a concern for you, but when you are required to beat your head for 5 days, it often leaves you wondering why you are still unable enjoy your 2 days of rest. Or why it is that the non-head-beating days are causing you the pain and why the wall brings such swift and sudden release from pain.

:lmao:

Thank you. I think I may use that if I ever get into regular wear again. Much of this is not an issue anymore, but I think that will really help me if I decide to go back to my old ways of employment. I was an exotic dancer for a year. I did this for both the fun of it and to save money for school. Now I am a grave yard network administrator and I coul probably wear a brown sack to work for all they care.

*sighs*

my question was more specific than that originally, but I really do appreciate the late reply. Fortunately for me I am in a job now were I do not have to wear such fancy shoes.

To respond to your comment, the part that confused me was why I only felt the pain walking flat? Using your colorful analogy, It has been my experience that most walls hurt when you are hitting them, not the case here were the lack of said wall was the apparent source of pain. Probably not a concern for you, but when you are required to beat your head for 5 days, it often leaves you wondering why you are still unable enjoy your 2 days of rest. Or why it is that the non-head-beating days are causing you the pain and why the wall brings such swift and sudden release from pain.

:w00t2:

Sorry, I didn't mean to make light of your condition. I know it's real and causes a great deal of pain. However, if walking flat is the cause then why not find a pair of men shoes with a built up heel that is high enough to furnish relief to the pain? There are such things on the market and, perhaps, they might be a "short term" solution to the problem while you let your doctor seek a longer term cure?

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Sorry, I didn't mean to make light of your condition. I know it's real and causes a great deal of pain. However, if walking flat is the cause then why not find a pair of men shoes with a built up heel that is high enough to furnish relief to the pain? There are such things on the market and, perhaps, they might be a "short term" solution to the problem while you let your doctor seek a longer term cure?

I did not know they made Men's shoes like that. Not that I need them, I am a girl after all. I think that a world were men wore heels as well would be nice however. :w00t2:

My fear was that the relief that I got from heels was a temporary thing, and that by continuing to wear heels I would permanently cripple myself. I have always had a love for heels and for all pretty shoes in general . I wonder if it is a fetish and it seems to come and go with my mood. Some days I want to shine and look pretty, and others I want to be comfy while I read a book by the fire or surf the web. I truly need both. I have read many of the threads on this site and I know that many of the people here are far more dedicated than I when it comes to the wearing heels. I do not seek to permanently wear them but must admit that the idea gives me a masochistic "buzz" at times. That aside, the reality of the situation is basically this... I have these knees for the rest of my life, and feasible options for replacement do not seem to exist at the moment. ;-) Last summer I had to wear them regularly for work, and that helped to put things into perspective for me. Do I really want to be confined in tall shoes for life with the fear that taking them off will cause my knees to erupt with pain? I am also quit tall and wearing heels makes me taller than my partner by a good measure. It could be possible that you are right in saying that I need to pick a condition (heels or not) and stick to it. In truth I was thinking much the same and part of me even hoped that that would be the cure I seek. If I had to pick between flats and heels for the rest of my life I would, with a great deal of sadness, pick flats. :lmao: I will seek a second opinion; I will also see what may be done about changing how I walk or even learning to adjust more seamlessly. Stretches seem to be helping.

Shintav

Sorry, the fact that you are female escaped me. However, my advice is good for females, too. Just substitute female for the word male and you're good to go. The range of heel heights for woman's shoes extends from 1/4th inch to over 7" (without platforms). Some where in the lower range, between 2" and 3" there is a height that will be just right to cause you pain to go away. At least until you can find a treatment for the pain.

Well, a site survey did once state that 90% or some such number of the people here are male. A rather safe guess most of the time... :w00t2: Well, I like your idea more, that's for sure. In my heart I am really not ready to retire into grandma shoes shoes yet, and most of my friends have given me some sort of comment about my recent plainness.