So just......GO already! DO it!

ShockQueen

I know it's been said here many many times, but I just want to echo what's been hollered all over the place....... If you're going to do any sort of alternative fashion - whether it be heels, clothes, makeup, nails, whatever....if you want to do it, then just DO it already! You can be flashy, you can be professional, you can be however you want to be, because it's just outer layers on top of your body - it's how you put it all together, paired with your confidence that makes or breaks the look. The ladies have been doing this for years, and have never had a problem. The harder hurdle is going the other way, but it can be done. There is nothing that says you can't pull off a new look as long as you go about it seriously. One thing to keep in mind, is that people will notice - yes, they do. Of course they will. Anything that doesn't look like anything else will attract attention - it always does and always will. The trick is to not really care. You made the decision, you made the effort, and the only question you should ask yourself is.........do you want to do it? If so, then just GO already and DO it! Nothing is gained by being just a sheep in the herd. I've found some nice moderate styles in my clothing that lets me complement my existing wardrobe with my own personal taste, and it's worked wonders - both appearance-wise, and boosted my own self-esteem. I didn't notice it at first outside of my own willpower and just not caring what others think, but my friends have told me I'm a lot happier these days, and more relaxed. It really does do wonders for one's self-worth. I do feel much better this year, and think things are continuing to fall into place. And my happiness? It's continuing to climb as well! For me, this was definitely the right thing to do.

• Like 1

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

Good message SQ and i couldn't agree more. Qudos to you especially as you are not exactly located in the most cosmopolitan area of the good 'old US of A. If you aint got a pickup truck and a hat your kinda strange - or a tourist. Simon.

Are you confusing me with someone who gives a damn?

SQ... i whole-heartedly agree, but i have to admit that i've stopped wearing acrylic nails. my reasons all boil down to the fact that you can't remove them if the situation demands. i can wash off cosmetics, remove clothing, etc... but acrylics are pretty permanent. i miss them, and my natural nails won't keep nail polish on for more than a couple of days before it starts chipping/peeling. definitely NOT a perfect world:mecry:

society has decided that men will be confined to

certain items of clothing, and certain modes of

presentation.

until we rebel PERSONALLY against this, we are diminished!

SQ: A brilliant commentary, my friend! Couldn't have said it any better myself. And you're absolutely right, the only people holding us back from wearing the clothes and/or shoes we love wearing are ourselves. Once we get over any fears, nervousness or apprehension and actualy go do it, everything tends to turn out great. In a way, I've already taken your advice:

http://www.hhplace.org/discuss/general_fashion/11638-first_time_out_skirt.html

Yep, my first ever outing in a skirt, and I had a great time. And I intend to experience that again soon because it was fun. So, let's throw off the shackles and enjoy ourselves.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Thanks for all the great responses - really! I've gotten to the point where I'm just thinking about it as putting together yet another days's wardrobe, and that's about it. I'm going back to just having natural nails here in a few weeks, since the cost is really piling up, and it's a never-ending one at that. I've done some research on recuperating the natural nails underneath with some OPI Nail Envy, so that should do the trick, plus I still have all my fave colours of polish that I can still use. The other part of the reason for cutting expenses, is that we're moving into a larger place - going from a 2-bedroom 1-bath house to a 3-bedroom, 2-bath townhouse! I think that's well worth a small sacrifice. Besides....I have my heels to continue enjoying!

• 1 month later...

I've been taking my own advice, and just mixing it up to see how comfortable I can get. So now lately, all my outfits are very what I call "casual female" to an extent. I don't have many outfits to wear, but it's pretty much a combination of a nice pullover, flared dark jeans, polished nails, nice heels (including these boots), and my over-the-shoulder handbag/organizer.

I've worn such outfits out and about many times now, and I don't even give others a second look, although I still catch glances out of the corner of my eye at people who seem to not believe what they are seeing. I don't consider myself "cross-dressing" at this point, but more just general fashion freestyling, which is what drew me to this fun group in the first place.

It's amazing how well things work out once you let go of that inhibition of what is "proper" to wear, and just put together what you feel looks good. You are the one wearing the clothes, just like anyone else - people like us just have more fun DOING it than others. :-)

SQ: Bravo to you, my friend! You remain one of our boldest members and I enjoy reading your exploits!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Ah Dr. Shoe.....if I could only afford to fly to the UK, I surely would - but with the dollar-to-pound conversion, it's going to be some time before I can afford to make the trip abroad. I keep thinking about it though! JeffB - you are braver than me, in that you go out in a SKIRT and heels, while I have yet to make that jump. I rather enjoyed your recent thread as well. :-) While I think skirts are WAY cool, I haven't found that magic one yet that does it for me as far as wearing one out goes. Maybe once I drop a few stone - then it might be more possible. I think the only thing I'm wearing to work right now which is technically from the men's side are my pseudo-turtleneck shirts - everything else is from the women's department - pants, polish, heels......oh yeah - love it all!

This is so true! I've been mixing it up for about the past two years and it certainly feels good to wear (almost) what I like. I think that the majority of my trousers come from the womens side of the shop as I find they fit better and more importantly I think they look and feel great! A good example was when we went on holiday and I wore a pair of shiny PVC trousers, but teamed them up with a pale green tight long sleeved t-shirt and a black v necked jumper - it softened the whole image, and if people stunned and confused - good for them!! I've only worn a skirt out a night but aim to correct that soon. Right, where's my catsuit!! Nikki