'Turf Toe' injury - I've got it, anyone else had this?

Saturn

Question

I was recently (almost 6 months ago) in a car accident. My right foot was on the brake. While panicked, my foot slipped down so it was mainly my big toe on the brake. When the collision happened, my big toe was forced backwards, which caused the whole thing to swell up. I couldn't walk on it for about a month without wearing a special boot. Well, I can easily walk on it now. Heels, on the other hand, are a different issue. Any heels that REALLY bend the toe (5"+), it still hurts the toe. In fact, I still have minute pain when I bend the toe at any angle, but it's so small I don't notice it unless I'm deliberately stretching it. I should mention that a small piece of bone was chipped at the base of the big toe as well, I'm thinking that could also be causing the pain (waiting for the chip to fill in). I don't walk for long periods in heels anymore, and haven't. I still wear them, but I don't walk more than maybe 50 ft. total per day (yes, it's not much). I'm kind of upset that this happened, because it affects my heel wearing, and the accident was not my fault (no, I was not wearing heels at the time of the accident). I was just wondering if anyone has had this so-called "turf toe" injury (Google it if you're unfamiliar). I'm wondering if this pain will ever go away, of it's one of those injuries that stays with me for the rest of my life.

6 answers to this question

Even though that injury doesn't keep you from your normal activity, it's still going to be painful for a long time to come. If I were you, I would go back to the Doctor and let him treat it. If, as you say, the injury is a direct result of your accident that wasn't your fault, the cost of treatment should be covered by the other guy's insurance. Just file a claim through your insurance company for the cost of treatment and let them battle for payment (that is, if you haven't already settled) .

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Saturn: If I were you, I would find a highly competent orthopedist and let him examine your toe. Perhaps he will advise that the type of injury will only heal with time. If that is the case, you'll just have to live with it. In any case, however, in my opinion you should be compensated in some way or or other. Perhaps your lawyer can advise you on the compensation point. (you can always tell the Dr. " "I can't wear my heels because it hurts too much." :smile: ))

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

We are still working out a settlement not only for my car, but for my injury as well (and I'm not talking just hospital/doctor bills, I'm talking monetary compesation for the fact that I have been injured). I've been told that the quicker you are to settle, the less money you get. I'm in no hurry! I'm going to try and get an apointment set up for this coming week (or the week after, as soon as possible). Thanks bubba!

For anyone following this thread: I recently went to a foot doctor (WITH a PHD, not a podiatrist, they don't need to go to medical school). I supplied him with the x-rays, and he looked at them - didn't see anything out of the ordinary. He said that the ligaments were ripped, and repaired with scar tissue. This is what is causing the pain. He gave me a prescription for orthotics, and on the right toe it will limit the motion so it can rest. He said that he uses this orthotic for people with "turf toe" which is exactly what I have. The doctor also ordered a SECOND orthotic for my left foot to even things out. Hopefully this will help. The foot doctor said it couldn't hurt (no pun intended). To be honest, I can live with the pain. But I'm still trying to fix it (if there's time!)