A Photographic Shoe Diary - December 2002

Hmm, you mentioned Kit shoes. These are sold in most of the UK home shopping catalogues, and therefore also in the many cataogue returns stores which are dotted all over the country, where prices are sometimes much lower then the catalogue original price. For the Kit shoe images they must use models with smaller feet, as the heels are always lower than they look in the picture. Many of them are only 3 or 3.5 inches high, only a few reach 4 inches (at size 6 -7, here). I don't think they do anything over 4 inches at all.

Smudgeur I have both those. The red ones are by Kit and they are 4.5" when I measured them. Loved them so much I got them in black they look really nice on and they seem a bit more generous. They are really gorgeous I will take pics and post them soon. The strappy ones are by Sacha and are really lovely too and they are 4". The heel piece is a thin plaited band and they are like mist Gizmo they are hardly there but really. Can't wait for the warmer weather to wear them all although I do wear and try them on at home in readiness. :lol: Love to you all Julie xx

Let calm be widespread

May the sea glisten like greenstone

And the shimmer of summer

Dance across your pathway

"Communication is a two way thing"

Hi Julietta, I'm also interested in a pair of the black strappy ones. After having worn them, could you please tell me if the thin straps over the instep cause pain, are sufficiently soft or stretchy? How is the lateral stabiliry of the sandal considering the thin vertical strap on the heel, doesn't it tend to go one side or the other? Is the sizing correct? Do you think they are sufficiently comfortable for a walk or strictly reserved to more sedate ballroom and restaurant use? How is their quality and comfort regarding the lower arch support? How noisy are the heels? Sorry for all the questions, but I like my shoes to be usefull and without possibility of trying you are my only source of information. Thanks, Highluc

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

Wow Highluc you have posted me a challenge. I will try them out for a period of time and will give you feed back on all your questions. Watch this space. Julie xx

Let calm be widespread

Highluc, Funny that you manage to keep the thumb nails long. I always find the "pinkies" easiest to protect, while my thumb nails (even though they are quite solid and thick) to get so much action that they get cracks or "V's" along the front because of the daily abuse... -Perhaps the fact that I can not drink milk (but try to compensate with cheese and youghurt) makes then too brittle. TallSwede

Tallswede, I dont drink milk either (some guys on this board know better), but I also take a yughourt every morning so that cannot be the problem. Julietta, thanks for taking some of your time for a test run. Wouldn't that be a dream job, heel tester for consumer organisations?

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

Highluc said

Wouldn't that be a dream job, heel tester for consumer organisations?

Can you imagine the job applications they'd get with us lot fighting for a position with the company? We'd have to queue early to get in first... :lol:

TallSwede wrote

I am also very interested in your research, so now you know it might be (even) more worth the effort...

Well what can I say but looks like I will have to research those sandals and report back - shame! :(:):o

Love to you both

Julie xx

Let calm be widespread

Julietta, I believe that most such organisations, would *need* a decent number of "independent testers" to be taken as "reliable" sources, so as we seem to be quite well spread out around the globe, a lot of us would be able to find a nice new occupation... :lol: TallSwede PS. Should you and I happen to compete about the very same employment... -Ladies first, I promise... DS.

Highluc, why is it that you don't drink milk? Are vegetarian or vegan or do you just prefer not to drink it?

I have nothing against milk and have drunk a lot during my life but I now prefer whisky and am still sipping very slowly on the LAPHROAIG bottle Xaphod and Calv brougth along on their last European heel visit.

Hello Highluc and TallSwede, I have made an initial test on the mist sandals. I wore them last night for 3 hours - at home though, as it was raining outside and cold too. The heel is actually 4.5" when measured although in the catalogue it says 4". This has happened a lot lately with me so I am wondering if it because I have largish feet (UK 7). So to be honest I am used to shoes/boots upto 4" and therefore noticed the extra .5". The heels are really thin and lovely. The vamp is thin as it is one plait that opens up to the three strands on the inside of the foot (as per pic). My right foot was fine, but the single plait on the left foot over my little toe, after 2 hours started to hurt a little. The ankle cuff is very thin and made up of the rear plait divided into two. I found that it did stay in place stangely enough but offered little support. Walking in them is like walking in mules. At first I tried walking in them as I would with normal ankle supported sandals and quickly realised that I had to change my tact as I was wobbling. I therefore treated them like mules and as I walked they behaved like a mule making that flip flop noise as the heels of my feet touched and left the heel of the sandals. Unfortunately the only solid ground to test the heel noise was my kitchen, which is lino tiles and not the best for hearing a good click click click but in saying that I think they have good noise potential especially with the flip flop effect going on there too. Is that enough of a test guys or do you want me to study these shoes more and make another report? :lol: Julie xx

Let calm be widespread

To Highluc and Julietta respectively, -HL, I must admit that while being a whisky lover (addict? :( ) myself, I have not (yet?) found the smokier sorts like your Laphroaig to be among my favourites. Dalwhinnie OTOH is a sort that I easily can consume in too large quantities given the opportunity (and money to be able to afford it, especially here in Sweden where a 70cL bottle costs about 40 Euro). -J, Please keeping us all posted! Take a day (or two) off so you avoid sores on the feet until the sandals have had a reasonable time to get shaped to your feet (and vice versa). I have a pair of 4" cork wedges (called Eden) from Ernest of Paris (link at the old site, and also perhaps here somewhere) which from day one felt perfect. -So I wore them during a "power walk" in the woods for about 3KM/2miles, and did not find anything odd until I removed them from my feet when back at home when I sadly noticed that the upper strap across the toes had cut through the skin due to the friction and caused bleeding on both feet... :lol: -Well I had to keep them out of use until the wounds healed, and sorely missed them during that period. TallSwede PS. I got disconnected during typing this, so please excuse if this becomes a double posting. DS.

Hi Julietta, thanks for this detailed initial report already. It confirms already some suspicions I had about the thin front straps. On the other hand 2 hours walking on them the first time is not bad so they could be used for more sedate ice cream parlor visits during summer. The 4-1/2 inch is my favorite elevation since about 2 years so that wouldn't cause any problem. Could you please provide some more info on the lower arch support, for me it is very important the curve sits at the correct place and angle to spread the weight over the whole foot instead as only on the ball. If everything is OK I'm still facing the problem they don't ship outside of the isle. Tallswede, the fruited whiskey is for a sip once in a while, this evening my nightcap is a Glenmorangie Squirel, whiskey and cereals in the morning would do wonders for your confidence in wearing noisy blades to school but might lead to overconfidence in your abilities and some snoring in the classes, plus headache in drumband practice.

Highluc hello, I will try them out a little more for you and give you more feed back. Just one little correction I wore them for 3 hours not 2. Would it help if I post pictures to aid your research? If yes give me a week or so as I have problems with my home computer. Regards Julie xx

Let calm be widespread

Hi Julietta, I never mind some good pictures of nice shoes but am certainly interested in a sideshot of the feet resting naturally on the lower shoe arch curve, although your feet are certainly different as mine it might give me an idea of close the curves are to my desires and anatomy. I'm not in a hurry yet, spring and summer is still some time away and it will take some time to get them anyway with the non export sales of Argos. Thanks for helping out anyway, Bye, Luc

• 2 months later...

Smudge Hi, I will do another one (thought of your with our matching denim sandals when I wore them a couple of weeks ago). I have to wait another couple of weeks until I am finally back in my home and then I will have to try and locate my digital camera which has mysteriously disappeared. But definately yes to that Smudge once I get sorted as I have some nice sandals that are begging to be photographed. Thanks for asking Love Julie xx

Let calm be widespread

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Highluc and TallSwede,

I have made an initial test on the mist sandals. I wore them last night for 3 hours - at home though, as it was raining outside and cold too.

The heel is actually 4.5" when measured although in the catalogue it says 4". This has happened a lot lately with me so I am wondering if it because I have largish feet (UK 7). So to be honest I am used to shoes/boots upto 4" and therefore noticed the extra .5". The heels are really thin and lovely. The vamp is thin as it is one plait that opens up to the three strands on the inside of the foot (as per pic). My right foot was fine, but the single plait on the left foot over my little toe, after 2 hours started to hurt a little.

The ankle cuff is very thin and made up of the rear plait divided into two. I found that it did stay in place stangely enough but offered little support. Walking in them is like walking in mules. At first I tried walking in them as I would with normal ankle supported sandals and quickly realised that I had to change my tact as I was wobbling. I therefore treated them like mules and as I walked they behaved like a mule making that flip flop noise as the heels of my feet touched and left the heel of the sandals.

Unfortunately the only solid ground to test the heel noise was my kitchen, which is lino tiles and not the best for hearing a good click click click but in saying that I think they have good noise potential especially with the flip flop effect going on there too.

Is that enough of a test guys or do you want me to study these shoes more and make another report? :wink:

Julie xx

Hi Julietta, thanks to that test report of those Sacha ankle strap sandals I ordered a pair from Argos and got them delivered through Xaphod last weekend. Further reports by me of these fantastic sandals can be read on my website now. Julietta, thanks for the help, Tallswede, go get a pair somewhere.

Posted Image

Highluc they look fantastic on you :wink: Once I get my life sorted I'll post pics with me wearing mine Julie xx

Let calm be widespread