high heel statistics ?

Arctic

Hello

I'm that kind of guy that tries to understand what is going on, and although I have started to realize that this heel wearing desire is nothing rational, I try to find comfort in understanding my own behaviour.

I really believe that most phenomenae can be modeled. So what I tried to do, is find a pattern in the boots that I buy, in terms of heel height, heel type, price and so on.

The result was quite chilling :lol:. There isn't much of a pattern in my behaviour. My average heel height is 9.7 cm, just under 4", and I almost only buy leather, but that's about it....

What I did, was type in all boots that I fit in, and have worn at least a few times. Total 32 that I could think of. The two bar charts have time on the x-axis, total length about 3 years.

Let's see:

heel height evolution (in cm - 10cm is 4"):

Posted Image

I was surprised to see that I have quite many over 10cm/4", although I know that I can't walk long distances comfortably in them.

heel type:

Posted Image

material - in the beginning I was cheap but soon realized that leather is the only real option:

Posted Image

Country of origin (some people have asked where I got "those" boots from):

Posted Image

Price paid - now quality and price have gotten into balance. Including discount periods I got to a price of 78 EUR per pair. That's not too bad I would say.

Posted Image

The spike is a pair of custom made cowboys to get my wife over the line, to no avail. Cumulative cash flow ~2500 EUR. I have also wasted some money on pairs that didn't fit or are too tight or just plain ugly but have a heel, that's not included since I don't wear those anyway or may have thrown them away in the meantime. Also have spent something on boots for my wife, and she mostly wears the good old 7cm Vagabond pair despite many nice Bronxes and so on in the closed. Grmpf....

Anybody else done such a thing?

Anybody wanting to draw conclusions on my behalf (can't see the trees in the forest)...?

Bert

What's all the fuss about?

....I really believe that most phenomenae can be modeled. So what I tried to do, is find a pattern in the boots that I buy, in terms of heel height, heel type, price and so on.

................What I did, was type in all boots that I fit in, and have worn at least a few times. Total 32 that I could think of. The two bar charts have time on the x-axis, total length about 3 years.

Bert, before I attempt to draw any conclusions regarding your data, I'm still confused about your two bar charts.

I see numbers from 1 to 32 on the X-axis of both bar charts. You say above that the X-axis represents time, a total length about 3 years. I don't understand. Does it represent 32 days, or 32 weeks, or 32 months, or what element of time?

Since you fit in 32 pairs of boots, and the X-axis is marked 1 through 32, I thought that the X-axis represented those 32 pairs of boots.

click .... click .... click .... The sensual sound of stiletto heels on a hard surface.

Bert, before I attempt to draw any conclusions regarding your data, I'm still confused about your two bar charts.

I see numbers from 1 to 32 on the X-axis of both bar charts. You say above that the X-axis represents time, a total length about 3 years. I don't understand. Does it represent 32 days, or 32 weeks, or 32 months, or what element of time?

Yes, I realize now I didn't make that very clear. The bars are discrete purchases, not totals from equal time periods or something. So consider the x-axis as linear, each bar representing a month for example. That would mean an average purchase rate of one boot per month, which is close enough to reality for this purpose. Probably you can't make statistically significant conclusions from such small amounts, but high heel wearing is not rocket science anyway. I realize that mathematicians would get green hair from reading this, but we are doing this only for our own entertainment...

Bert

Oh god. Excel spreadsheets. A (bad) product from the Evil Empire

If it makes you feel any better, they could have been made in open office :lol:

I think spreadsheets are very useful tools... You can actually do something creative with it.

What do you think about Powerpoint then? That's something that I use many hours per day and even get paid for it.. :(

Bert

Gosh, I've never thought of my high heel wearing in these terms. Actually, I think it's more information than I want to know. My philosophy is quite simple. If I like the looks of the shoes, I buy them. If they're comfortable, I wear them. I counted the number of pair I have and when I added up the cost, I got scared. :lol:

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I've never thought of this either. I suppose I'm just in the 'buy them, wear them' camp on this. I don't think that I'd ever want to do this kind of analysis, or give my shoes code names, or anything. I suppose that the most analysis I've done is realising that I have just about every possible variation on 'black high heel ankle boot' and that's about it. Oh wait - online catalogues beckon...

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

Actually, on analysing your charts and putting all the pertinent information through a statistical monitor with all the relevant filters applied. After taking into account all the quartiles, the mean, the relevant percentiles and then arranging the discrete elements into ascending and descending orders and then differentiating the resulting curve, do you know what I found? You buy footwear you like the look of at the time! :rofl:

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

i couldn't draw much conclusion from those. There didn't seem to be any regular trends. As far as my own preferences go, I started with thinner heels but over the years I have gone for more blocks and cowboys as they suit me better, and after wearing those for a few years I have come to like them too so my tastes are now pretty broad except I don't like anything extreme or very thick platforms.

In sports, there's a term called "paralysis by analysis", so I like to keep things simple as far as my footwear preferences: Styles: pumps and boots (full shaft or ankle height) Material: mainly leather Colors: black and brown (but I'm thinking of adding navy) Heel heights: 3 inch minimum, 4 inch preference Heel type: Blade, stiletto and block Like I said, keep things simple! :-)

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Dr. Shoe wrote: "After taking into account all the quartiles, the mean, the relevant percentiles and then arranging the discrete elements into ascending and descending orders and then differentiating the resulting curve, do you know what I found? You buy footwear you like the look of at the time!" My point, exactly. :lol:

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

it is well known that high heels change mind and body. In order to better anlyse your passion for heels, it would be interesting to know for each shoe : - what make you buy them - what do you prefer in them - how do you feel while walking - how taller you are thanx Romu

Dr. Shoe wrote: "After taking into account all the quartiles, the mean, the relevant percentiles and then arranging the discrete elements into ascending and descending orders and then differentiating the resulting curve, do you know what I found? You buy footwear you like the look of at the time!"

I echo that. I buy the footwear I like the look of and what suits my leg and foot shapes - it can take hours sometimes :lol:

Julietta xx

Let calm be widespread

May the sea glisten like greenstone

And the shimmer of summer

Dance across your pathway

"Communication is a two way thing"

Bert; After taking into account your explanation in response to my question, and combining that information with your astrological chart data, the date that you created this thread, the amount of money you have in the bank, and your shoe size, I have come to the following conclusion: It's time to buy another pair of boots.

click .... click .... click .... The sensual sound of stiletto heels on a hard surface.

Bert;

After taking into account your explanation in response to my question, and combining that information with your astrological chart data, the date that you created this thread, the amount of money you have in the bank, and your shoe size, I have come to the following conclusion:

It's time to buy another pair of boots.

That would seem logical.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

• 1 month later...

I've occasionally thought about it when I've put shoes together like that lying down on a surface, or when I've been sitting with the shoes on, and I put them together which puts me in some sort of weird yoga position! (Not that I know anything about yoga, nor do I wish to). SH

Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me into your sig and help me spread!

just for fun...

out of the thread, but ... have you ever though what the total heel height of both shoes are combined :lol:

No matter how you arrange them, they still look GREAT !!!

not bad at all indeed... I prefer silver colour, though, like those boots which you posted a picture of several months ago. I'm still drooling if I think about it. Ps you don't fit in that 39, do you?

• 10 months later...

Bert: Reading your post, I was impressed by the amount of time & effort that it took you to come up with your statistics on your heel collection. Since I don't have a computer with hard drive,etc.I'm not able to accomplish such work. I have been posting with a web-tv & can not perform all the functions that can be done on a computer. For instance. when a pic is behind the small square I can not click on the square and bring the pic up. I don 't have a mouse. I navigate around the screen with 4 different arrows. Only typing with 2 fingers doesn't help either. Stellah: Those are very nice pics that you posted. Are you able to balance & walk in those heels? Probably being the oldest member of this board, I must stick to wearing chunky heels in order to keep my balance & be able to walk on them convincingly. Jeff B: Styles- Pumps & Boots (calf & knee highs) Material- I prefer leather also Color- Black of course (easier to conceal). I'm not brave enough to try colors yet. Heel Height- 3" min - 4" max for now as it might be doubtful that I can go higher in the future at my age. Heel Type- Blade, Flat-Back, and Block (anything chunky) As someone has already said, keep it simple (I don't complicate anything). Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Hi, Emma:- I am 69 years old and after lurking for over a year and finally deciding that this board is safe of discovering my true indentity, I decided to be brave and start posting. From what I have read over time, I believe I may be the oldest member of this board. If there is anyone older, I sure would like to know. Dawn HH

Well done Dawn! There was me thinking I was a veteran at 59 (although still street-heeling away merrily in all heights up to 5 1/2") and you've just made me feel like a youngster! Bert, although some of your "cake-slices" have only reproduced as little red squares, I have looked at your available data from all angles, applying month-on-month dissemination, heel-height to boot-type ratios, the average-versus-extremes disciplines both on the one-to-one principle and also the one-to-all principle, collating all the knowns with precepts of the unknowns, plus, as Dr. Shoe has perceptively suggested, carrying-out structured analysis of you your charts and putting all the pertinent information through a statistical monitor with all the relevant filters applied. After taking into account all the quartiles, the mean, the relevant percentiles and then arranging the discrete elements into ascending and descending orders and then differentiating the resulting curve, I added the final stage of crunching the resultant statistics through Blenkinsop's Stratagem to give us mean quantitive results rather than formulated cognitative figures only. Findings? No wonder Dr. Shoe got his doctorate - He's a genius! My first conclusion confirm his - i.e. THAT YOU LIKE BUYING WHATEVER BOOTS TAKE YOUR FANCY! A great strategy, not only for you but for all the rest of us! My second conclusion is that ANALYSIS OF STATISTICS CAN WASTE HOURS OF VALUABLE SHOE-BUYING AND STREET-HEELING ENJOYMENT! Cheerfully yours, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

Heelfan:- Been wearing heels since about 12 years of age, but never in public except Halloween parties and an occasional late night jaunt around the neighborhood. May let everyone in on the sordid story some day but not now. In November 2003, I had to have my left knee operated on to remove some torn cartilage. Three days after surgery I was back into panties, pantyhose, and heels around the house. Around Thanksgiving the wife and I sat down to discuss the fact that I would like to try freestyling and wearing heels in public. Some bootcut jeans were purchased to go with the boots I already have. We decided to take in a movie so this was my first outing. It being dark in the theatre helped to settle my nerves about being made. Nothing was said to us and no one seemed to notice and everything went well and we enjoyed ourselves. We since have been out a few more times to dinner and the shopping mall. Still no one seems to notice, except one man hurriedly walked past us, glanced at our faces briefly, and continued on his way. I need lots more practice and more support from the good wife. Dawn HH

Dawn: Greetings from south west ohio. At 63 I'm just a little younger. I've been wearing heeled boots for about 20 years, serious spike heeled ones, in public. Infact I don't have any dress shoes that arn't heeled. For example on xmas eve I went to two church services and one party in 4 1/2" spikes, with 6mm steel tips. No hideing them! There just isn't any problem doing this, you don't have to hide it anymore. Things are changing fast.

Hello Dawn and Slim - we should all become fellow members of a "Veteran Heelers Corps"! Like you Dawn, I started heel-wearing aged 12 "borrowing" my mother's 3 1/2" court shoes which for some years I wore in secret in woods, deserted country lanes, disused tennis courts etc. I've never had more than a very brief flirtation with wearing heels in my bedroom, because this leads nowhere, if you see what I mean. I was in my twenties before I began street-heeling in public, and it was WONDERFUL! It still is! I get just as much excitement from it now as I've ever done, with the added interest in these last few months of these great heel forums, and all done in the knowledge of my very understanding wife! I've now got a vast collection of shoes and boots ranging from low-cut flat pumps right up to 5 1/2" stilettos, all of which get regular public airings. No platforms though! Very ugly and clumpy in my opinion, so I'm a "Platform-free Zone"!. Over the years, I've swung from being petrified if someone notices to being rather disappointed if they don't! Happy Heeling both of you! Cheerfully yours, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!