Russia

Confusing and complicated situation dealing with inter-ethnic, regional and international situations dating back to pre-historic times (6000 BC). Depends on how far you want to go back.

1) Ethnic minority separatist movements – primarily on the part of the Ossetians and the Abkhaz, demanded fuller recognition in the new order of the early 1990

Essentially (and least complicated), the Russian province of Georgia, in a fit of nationalism, declared it's independence, broke away from the "mother country," and - in general - pissed the Russian government off. Lots of natural resources in the province that Russia no longer controls (Oil, pipelines, etc., etc., etc.) Russian Govt. planting "a big foot" into the situation and going to beat the people back into the "fold. (We'll teach those slimy b"*tar**s to leave our federation." )

Nothing the rest of the world can do without declaring all out war with Russia....which, no one is about to do. (Russians are militarily powerful enough to do what ever they want to do without fearing interference from other counties (read the USA).

Bottom line (my opinion, only) Russia wins after leveling everything in the province and the people living there cry "UNCLE." Nothing like a slash and burn - waste everything - response to teach ingrates a lesson.

(to learn more than you ever wanted to know about Georgia go to: Georgia

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Well, the story is a bit more complicated. Georgia is of course one of the republics that became independent when the Soviet Union fel apart. That by itself isn't a cause for war as you can see with the other republics. One problem is that there is a region (Ossetia) that for whatever reason was split in two and half of it belonged with Russia and the other half with Georgia. Now it so happens that people in that part of the world think that happiness is coupled to the amount of territory you control. Hence the idea of letting those two regions get together is unthinkable. (Like with Kurdistan and who knows how many other parts in the world). De facto South Ossetia broke away and had more or less autonomy, until the current president had to make a show of getting it back after he got elected in 2004. Of course the Russians were stimulating this `independence movement because it was aimed at reunifying with noth Ossetia which is part of Russia, under the Russian umbrella (they probably paid for it). Comes the next part: Georgia wanted to become part of the NATO. Bush was for. Some European members however blocked it. If Georgia would have been member of the NATO, we would now have been officially at war with Russia. Russia doesn't like the idea of Georgia being a member of NATO. Some analists here claim that this is one of the reasons of the Russian involvement. To scare NATO into not letting Georgia in. Russia and Georgia had been building up this conflict. Russia by putting troups at the border (they were really ready when Georgia moved their army in). Georgia was telling the west about this. What was the west to do? Then, Georgia invaded south Ossetia a few days ago in order to `take it back'. The Russians were ready for it. Take your pick on who you think more responsible, sympathetic or whatever. Y.

Raise your voice. Put on some heels.

About three years ago I played rugby against a touring Georgian club side and they were fantastics fun loving guys. Its a shame that they are going through this

Hey, what country or society doesn't have its share of fun loving guys? Even some of the people that control the government probably have their moments. Doesn't mean squat, however.

Johnnieheels, like Yazz says, it's a Bit more complicated than what I made it. Besides, you really need a program to keep the players straight. But just thinking about the intricacies in this situation can give you a headache and like me, I doubt you've really the interest or span of attention needed that would permit you to sort it all out.....because it's "boring" and, like me, I believe you'd soon lose interest.

Besides, it all a big tangled web of geopolitical stuff that centers on those that have "the power" want to keep "the power" and will do everything they can do not to lose " the power" -- regardless of who gets hurt.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Whats up with Russia and Georgia. Any body know whats really going on?:o

I think the Russians have taken Atlanta and are marching on to Savannah. Or is that the Yankees. I never can seem to keep that straight.

Sorry attempt at levity....

Style is built from the ground up!

I think the Russians have taken Atlanta and are marching on to Savannah. Or is that the Yankees. I never can seem to keep that straight.

Sorry attempt at levity....

I'll answer that question in just a minute. I've got to check my copy of "Gone With the Wind" first. :o

Well, the story is a bit more complicated.

Georgia is of course one of the republics that became independent when the Soviet

Union fel apart. That by itself isn't a cause for war as you can see with the other

republics.

One problem is that there is a region (Ossetia) that for whatever reason was split in two and half of it belonged with Russia and the other half with Georgia. Now it so happens that people in that part of the world think that happiness is coupled to the amount of territory you control...

De facto South Ossetia broke away and had more or less autonomy, until the current president had to make a show of getting it back after he got elected in 2004. Of course the Russians were stimulating this `independence movement because it was aimed at reunifying with north Ossetia which is part of Russia...

Comes the next part: Georgia wanted to become part of the NATO. Bush was (in favor). Some European members however blocked it. If Georgia would have been member

of the NATO, we would now have been officially at war with Russia.

Russia doesn't like the idea of Georgia being a member of NATO. Some analists here claim that this is one of the reasons of the Russian involvement. To scare NATO into not letting Georgia in. Russia and Georgia had been building up this conflict; Russia by putting troops at the border (they were really ready when Georgia moved their army in). Georgia was telling the west about this. What was the west to do? Then, Georgia invaded south Ossetia a few days ago in order to `take it back'. The Russians were ready for it...

Moreover, much like ancient Rome, the typical Russian response to any situation is to send tanks and military force. :o:cool1::-? So it really doesen't matter much what the "problem" is, if the Ruskies don't like it they'll probably send their tanks for a first-hand report on the situation.

God save us all.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Moreover, much like ancient Rome, the typical Russian response to any situation is to send tanks and military force. . .

When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks a lot like a nail. . .

Have a happy time!

• 2 weeks later...

Judging from the response so far from the European nations and the UK, it appears like the Russians can do, and get away with, just about anything they want to do. Why use diplomacy when a little threatening growling seems to work much better at achieving their objectives? (However, the U.S. response isn't much better). If I were living in Europe right now, I would be making preparations for a very "cold" winter.

Judging from the response so far from the European nations and the UK, it appears like the Russians can do, and get away with, just about anything they want to do. Why use diplomacy when a little threatening growling seems to work much better at achieving their objectives? (However, the U.S. response isn't much better).

If I were living in Europe right now, I would be making preparations for a very "cold" winter.

I think you are probably pretty much right-on! Unfortunately, there isn't a single nation in the whole of Europe that's capable of making Russia "get in line"; and it is doubtful that even the combined military might of all of Europe would be up to the job.

Then there's the problem of the US being mired-down in the "murder-East" and incapable of bringing any force to bear (no pun intended). So about all that's left is economic and diplomatic efforts to make 'em get in line. It's the old story of somebody getting mauled by military might while diplomats and leaders wring their hands.:smile:

And YES! As long as Russia controls the flow of oil from Azerbajan, it could very well spell a very cold winter for ther rest of Europe.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels