High Heel Shopping

If you shop online, which do you prefer...

(A) designer shoes or (B)"thrify" priced shoes

i.e.

Manolo Blahnik/Jimmy Choo or under $80

When I say prefer, I mean which will you actually buy.

If you can reply and mention you preference it would be appreciated.

:o (too much coffee)

Designer shoes may look impressive and the quality is usually better, because they take pride in their product. However, the cost makes you scared to wear them. Lately, I have been impressed with a couple of high heel styles from Bebe and Dolce Vita.

For everyday wear, the brands like you can buy off of ebay or Amazon can satisfy the desire to have another pair to wear, but the quality and fit may be sacrificed. Sometimes what you think you're buying doesn't match the product you actually get. So buyer beware!

Elite Heels, Burlesque Blue, Ernest Chausseur, Nu-High Heels, Banana Shoes, and 6 Inch Heels Forever have been a few of the sources I have bought some of my best high heels. If you can endure the inconvience of having to wait for an extended period that seems like an eternity (possibly up around 6 months) before your order is delivered, their heels are worth the wait. However, make sure you and them understand completely what you want. Before you actually order, communicate every detail of what you want and find out what they will or can do to help you realize your finished product. Some of them will even do some limited custom work for you. The cost is higher than most of the off the rack wear, but quite a bit less than some of the more prominent fashion brands, when all is said and done.

Thrifty by all means: Pleaser/Lucious, Ellie, Tony, one pair from Reflection. Can't find the last ones on the Internet, though. There aren't many designer shoes in size 13 USW.

Greetings, I did the thrifty shoes years ago but now prefer designer shoes and boots. Most pairs are over $80 for sure and are a better fit. I fit a womens 11 which I am thankful for. Designers are: Gaborit Boots, Fluevog shoes and boots, Charles David and Cordani other varietys on Zappos.com Yet to buy Manolos or Jimmy Choos, but could be on the wish list. Mtnsofheels

when I can afford it, I always buy online, since I KNOW my mens size is the same as womens size, which is 9 (with very little variation I know I'll get them to always fit!):o

I dont buy according to price, I buy whatever catches my eye. I have lots of boots and shoes that I really like. However, my 2 favourite pairs come from opposite ends of the price spectrum. I bought a pair of black soft leather knee high boots (not the ones in my avatar) a few years ago for €40 and I love them to bits. They are fantastically comfy to wear. My other favourite pair are brown over the knee boots which cost a cool €300.

Mostly under 50.00 dollars because there are some really great looking shoes made of leather for that price. sometimes 50.00 to 100.00 dollars if the shoe is something I really want. Shopping the net you can find 80.00 to 120.00 dollar heels for less than 50.00 dollars.

t-straps are my favorite style.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Histiletto, Glad you mentioned 6 inch heels forever! I've come very close to ordering, but timid due to not having conversed with someone who has delt with them. I would like to know if their shoes run a bit wide for size, or narrow. Also, their site suggests sending a diagram of your foot along with a number of measurements. Did you do this or just take a standard China size from their charts? Me, as a guy, a little wide at the ball of the foot helps when at a womans size 10. Perfect length, but usually a tad narrow across the ball. I'd really appreciate any info or insight you could provide. Again, thanks! UPBy5 (in Virginia)

Upby5, Welcome to the forum! It has been a while since I have dealt with 6ihf. When they first started out, they were willing to customize a style to what a buyer wanted, but then they standardized everything. You'll be able to change colors, materials, and heights according to their product lines, but any further embellishments or changes would have to be approved first. This may or may not change the total cost of your order. It is a good idea to contact them first, before you actually order, and place your concerns about the shoes you want to order and how they make their different heel heights or any custom work you would like done, should you want something different than the exact lines they offer. I wanted 15cm stiletto heels and they seem to use the 16cm style, only shortened, which made the appearance of the heel slant under the shoe, creating an unstable perception that the heel would buckle under the shoe as I stood or walked in them. Had I kept the height at 16cm the shoes would have been fine, after I mastered walking in such high heels. (Also, consider the styling cut of the vamp. Some styles cut the sides of the uppers too low and create annoying pressure points by the finished edges.) Otherwise, the footwear was what I had ordered. I did send them the necessary measurements of both my feet according to the order diagram. This helped them to make the toe box at the width I needed. Just make sure you are specifically clear about their perception of what you have ordered. If there are any other questions that I might be able to help with, just let me know.

Upby5,

Welcome to the forum!

It has been a while since I have dealt with 6ihf. When they first started out, they were willing to customize a style to what a buyer wanted, but then they standardized everything. You'll be able to change colors, materials, and heights according to their product lines, but any further embellishments or changes would have to be approved first. This may or may not change the total cost of your order.

It is a good idea to contact them first, before you actually order, and place your concerns about the shoes you want to order and how they make their different heel heights or any custom work you would like done, should you want something different than the exact lines they offer. I wanted 15cm stiletto heels and they seem to use the 16cm style, only shortened, which made the appearance of the heel slant under the shoe, creating an unstable perception that the heel would buckle under the shoe as I stood or walked in them. Had I kept the height at 16cm the shoes would have been fine, after I mastered walking in such high heels. (Also, consider the styling cut of the vamp. Some styles cut the sides of the uppers too low and create annoying pressure points by the finished edges.)

Otherwise, the footwear was what I had ordered. I did send them the necessary measurements of both my feet according to the order diagram. This helped them to make the toe box at the width I needed. Just make sure you are specifically clear about their perception of what you have ordered. If there are any other questions that I might be able to help with, just let me know.

Histiletto,

Many thanks for the thorough description of your experience! Your comment on using the 16cm base shoe and adding only a 15cm heel, or simply clipping the tip back by 1 cm, is most important. "Roll-under", even a little, can ruin the fun. I have a really cheap pair of 6", single sole no platform HH with the roll-under problem. The heel shape is such that the tip is well forward of the center of the heel attachment point on the base. The shoes are useless. I don't know if its a 5"/6" substitution thing or just plain bad design. Happily, there's next to no money invested. Armed with your info I'll be giving them a buzz and ordering a pair of 15cm's to start with, after mentioning the problem you described. Again, thanks, especially for the invitation to reconnect with questions. Man, can I use that!

UpBy5

• 2 weeks later...

For me size is almost the only deciding factor as a shop or brand needs to have a size 46EU/14US/12UK. Otherwise its end of story from the start. So that leaves almost all designer heels out. But that's okay, as I don't care much for them anyway. I'm more into classic heels, nothing under 14 cm.

• 2 months later...

I usually shop price . Pierre Silber has been the best for a long time. I recently bought hot pink with stainless 4.5 " heels. They are great and with wear will very nicely last a long time. I wear size 14 and he always comes thru in a very well organized site...

if i had smaller feet, i might spend more on heels but at size 10uk 12us, there arnt many companies that cater for the style i want, so im on a mission to buy all the ranges by demonia, i wish newrocks did my size in heels but alas there is only one style in my size at around uk130 (not sure about $) which il be getting when business picks up :) , i have had to start buying cheaper ebay finds upto 2 sizes smaller and stretching them up to fit

Same as some others I'm afraid, (size 46EU/14US/12UK), so my size limits me to the Pleaser range. Not really into designer types myself, I adore the classic 4" or 5" pump anyway. eBay is a good way to try different sizes for a cheap price. I bought a pair of 5" pleaser black patent pumps for £8.50 including post, and found they fit very well, (I usually take a UK13 in a male shoe). Cant wait for the eBay equivalent of the January sales, as the new years party fancy dress mob sell their stiletto's they managed to wear for half an hour before kicking them off, put them up for next to nothing :)

• 3 weeks later...

the designers need to get withthe program and create heels and boots to it size 17 and beyond so we bigger sizes have a chance to enjoy them as well. i can afford inexpensive boots only on a soda pop budget.

IT looks like we are all in the same boat. Great shoes out there and no bucks. Well put me right up there with rest. But I keep looking. I did fined a place in Vegas that has shoes $3.99 and up. They so have some nice shoes but size is only 11us. Have picked up 5 pairs from them and only had one that didn't quite fit right. When I go over there again I'll check to see if they have a web and put it out, but I wouldn't count on it as its a hole in the wall. have a good one. :-)))

1234Tazzer I know the streets and city of Las Vegas really well. Where is that hole in the wall? There is a large shoe store on Saharra next to Sensations. I have gotten shoes in there for my ex-wife. Corsets for myself. Mike

Maybe I'm a little biased. Having larger size feet, often I'm happy to find something at (almost) any cost. But Payless & DSW, two "off the rack" shoe stores, seems like they have good prices. Nothing is terribly expensive at either, and both have regular discounts: Payless often buy one, get 2nd half price; DSW I got $20 off $50 over the holidays. Even the Naturalizer boots I got from naturalizer.com, with various discounts, were close to 50% off list. Designer (anything) are always going to be expensive. But there will always be knockoffs. I thought the heel at Bakers (6" heel, 2" platform) was supposed to be a knockoff of a designer shoe, yet it's price is probably less than $100. That's a lot better than the $700+ the real one probably costs. If your budget is $3.99, then your best best is probably to make friends with a local charity shop, and ask them to contact you when some shoes in your size come in. I didn't even think you could buy new shoes for that low pricee. If you can, I'd hate to think what the quality is like.

Most of my shoes are on the cheap side and some of the cheapest have also been the best. I mostly get them from ebay, barratts, evans and long tall sally which is where I want my next pair from. They are £50 which is possibly the most I've ever spent on a pair of heels but they will be worth every penny!