permanent high heeled woman

ilse_berg

For sure wearing heels alot causes Achilles tendon problems and for me i get pain when wearing lower heels right in the lower back of the heels, this pain eases off when i take the pressure away by resting bare foot or wearing a high heel. I also get pain in the bottom of both my heels when i get up in the mornings and i feel i need to tip toe to relive this, im unsure what this is maybe Xray2 you know what this is you sound like you are a expert in this feild , intresting reading .

shaz

I think googleing or reading about "Haglund's deformity" on wikipedia might help you. Nevertheless try to contact an orthopeadic or Trauma surgery medic with this. Or of course continur with high heels if it helps you :-) You are welcome to write me a PN with questions

Only that muscles have by nature actin and myosin filaments which have a possibility to "shrink" while tendons are quite rigid. I was thinking about operative possibilities. but .. well only thinking - from theoretical/ anatomical point of view.

A normal Achilles tendon is slightly flexible, it is not "rigid". However, ironically, the Achilles tendon is rigid in people with permanently shortened calf muscles.

====

If you Google for "Achilles tendon muscle shorten", you will find many hits. Most hits are about the relatively recent report "Effect Of High Heels On Leg Muscles And Tendons" in The Journal of Experimental Biology, 2010

by R Csapo (University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria) and C N Maganaris (Manchester Metropolitan University, Manchester, UK).

The basic conclusions of that study were:

1) Women wearing high heels for a long time were found to have shortened gastrocnemius muscle bundles.

and

2) An "increase in size and stiffness" of the connective tissue in the Achilles tendon was observed.

[sOURCE: many websites including

http://www.fyiliving.com/research/high-heels-may-hurt-calf-and-tendon-study-finds/

]

So, Csapo and Maganaris implied the Achilles tendons become thicker and stiffer (rigid). However, the problem with that study is that all of the women who participated in the study were between 20 and 50 years old.

An inquisitive mind will wonder why they omitted women over 50 years of age. Many members of this website are already over 50 years old. Also, some women live until they over 100 years old. If they included just a few women over 50 years of age, they might of found some Achilles tendons that shrunk.

Also, the amount of progress these type of scientists have made regarding this subject over the past decade has really been totally un-impressive. Before that study, many podiatrists (foot doctors) already wrote about "permanent" contraction.

Call this change to the Achilles tendon whatever you want. The tendon may become "thickened", "stiffer" and then, perhaps "shortened" (if only very slightly when measured with a ruler, but enough to have an enormous effect on the ability to walk without heels).

====

Furthermore, VISIT THIS LINK

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/25/scientists-look-at-the-dangers-of-high-heels/

You will find information about Neil J. Cronin, a postdoctoral researcher, and two of his colleagues at the Musculoskeletal Research Program at Griffith University in Queensland, Australia.

It states the following:

"That biomechanical distinction is important, says Dr. Cronin, who is now a researcher at the University of Jyvaskyla in Finland. Several studies have shown that optimal muscle-tendon efficiency while walking occurs when the muscle stays approximately the same length while the tendon lengthens. When the tendon lengthens, it stores elastic energy and later returns it when the foot pushes off the ground. Tendons are more effective springs than muscles, he continues. So by stretching and straining their already shortened calf muscles, the heel wearers walk less efficiently with or without heels, he says, requiring more energy to cover the same amount of ground as people in flats and probably causing muscle fatigue."

Again, Dr. Cronin's research showed that the Achilles tendon can lengthen (and logically, the tendon will recoil or shorten back). So, once again, a normal Achilles tendon is slightly flexible.

xray2

For sure wearing heels alot causes Achilles tendon problems and for me i get pain when wearing lower heels right in the lower back of the heels, this pain eases off when i take the pressure away by resting bare foot or wearing a high heel.

I also get pain in the bottom of both my heels when i get up in the mornings and i feel i need to tip toe to relive this, im unsure what this is maybe Xray2 you know what this is you sound like you are a expert in this feild , intresting reading .

It would be irresponsible for anyone, even a licensed foot doctor, to diagnose your problem via a message board. What you can do is Google for "heel pain" and read as much as you can. Much info is available.

I also get heel pain once in a while. I do two different exercises that pointe ballet dancers do and these exercises seem to re-align all the stuff directly under the heel for me and the pain instantly vanishes.

It would be irresponsible for anyone, even a licensed foot doctor, to diagnose your problem via a message board. What you can do is Google for "heel pain" and read as much as you can. Much info is available.

I also get heel pain once in a while. I do two different exercises that pointe ballet dancers do and these exercises seem to re-align all the stuff directly under the heel for me and the pain instantly vanishes.

After Google searching i think alot of woman have simler problems caused from wearing a high heel shoes for prolonged times, i have also looked at pointe ballet dancer exercises and for sure just doing some that they show dose feel if i was to do them alot it could reduce the tightness in my legs and ankles, i do love wearing my high heels and looking at pictures of feet that have been in high heels for many years and sadly i have realised it is too late now becase i have all the same problems with my feet, but high heels do make me feel special lol.

shaz

I use to do pointe in ballet when I was a kid and I think it helped make it easy to get into super high heels when I was trained as a sub but now after only wearing heels like this for years I think I given up on ever wearing normal shoes again.

Hi "normal shoes" they sound boaring lol, when i was a young from age 5 to 15 i did ballet and yet not that good i did manage to get on pointe, i remember my teacher saying when i was a teanager to wear high heels to help build up my ankle strenth, i wonder if ballet teaching / training these days if they recomend wearing high heels to there pupils ?, chat soon .

shaz

Hi "normal shoes" they sound boaring lol, when i was a young from age 5 to 15 i did ballet and yet not that good i did manage to get on pointe, i remember my teacher saying when i was a teanager to wear high heels to help build up my ankle strenth, i wonder if ballet teaching / training these days if they recomend wearing high heels to there pupils ?, chat soon .

I was never told to wear heels to help me in ballet and I've never heard of anyone else who has been?

Yes, I do walk in these

• 1 month later...

@ xray2

Thank you very much for your input on this toppic. It was very enlightning, I admit. Especially the explanation of the tendon functioniong more like a spring than a rigid material. This is certainly teh case expecially if you take a look at the collagen's molecular helix structure

On the other hand, and I hope you will agree with me on that, the key to better and longer ability to sustain the strain of high heels is a good trained leg, with predominantly well trained muscular mass? or not?

I consider the tendons secondary in this calculation.