Blade heels & Square toeboxes!

What happened to the boots with blade heels and square toeboxes? When I got into this heel thing in the early 2000s, blades were briefly in but went out before I realized what was going on. They never came back.

For me it is clear: the blade heel is the most stylish of all, beating the stiletto hands down. But it is hard to make perfect: it has to be fairly skinny but wide, and has to be at the far end of the ankle.

It's particularly potent when combined with a VERY square toe box, which went out even faster. Blade heels and pointy toes go well too. Round toe boxes? No thanks. Even rounded square ones don't do it for me.

Here are 22 pictures of what it could be like, however it is worth mentioning that none below has the correct combination of both!

http://share.ovi.com/channel/boots.squaretoe-blade

What's all the fuss about?

Arctic, I do remember, back about 8-9 years ago, when going out to the movies and dinner with my ex, seeing lots of that style around. Now? Never... I generally love stilettos, but I would go for that style. Just don't see them even at the stores anymore... Thanks.

Walking in ultra-highs because it's exciting...and it is!!

Keep a watch on Ebay. Some are sure to pop up there. No style totally disappears, you just have to look the right places for them. I lived through the sixties and seventies when stilettos fell off the end of the earth. Funny story though; I was driving through this neighborhood in this large city and saw a store that had heels on display in the window. Just thinking about finding some heels I went into the store and after looking around for a minute I realized that shoes weren't being sold there, it was more like a museum with the old styles on the rack. Turned out the store was a front for something else. When that dawned on me I hustled my tail out of there and never looked or went back.

For me it is clear: the blade heel is the most stylish of all, beating the stiletto hands down. But it is hard to make perfect: it has to be fairly skinny but wide, and has to be at the far end of the ankle.

Over here, a High Street cobbler/key-maker will change a pair of heels to a 4" blade type for about $80. Stiletto's off, blades on.

I've acquired a number of pairs recently (2 ankle, 1 knee) all size UK8/US10 with no problem and not a great deal of money. All PU. I'll try to do some piccies tomorrow. :o

I consider them 'risky' on polished floors though, and this liability may have contributed to their demise.

Over here, a High Street cobbler/key-maker will change a pair of heels to a 4" blade type for about $80. Stiletto's off, blades on.

I've acquired a number of pairs recently (2 ankle, 1 knee) all size UK8/US10 with no problem and not a great deal of money. All PU. I'll try to do some piccies tomorrow. :o

I consider them 'risky' on polished floors though, and this liability may have contributed to their demise.

Really? Replace the heel? That seems to be a mechanical challenge. If you have pictures of that I would be very interested.

I hear what you are saying about the polished floors. Although I have the same issue with some of the western styles with an underslung heel.

Really? Replace the heel? That seems to be a mechanical challenge. If you have pictures of that I would be very interested.

I searched the Timpson website, and did a general Google trawl, and came up with 'zip'. Shame we didn't have this conversation yesterday. I stood in front of the board with the various options shown, only this afternoon. :o

I may have to go back there tomorrow.... [To return something. :roll: ] If I do .... :-?

I still see blade heels during the colder months at times. I know a coworker who wears them religously at work. Hmm...The more I think about it though, it seems to me that the majority of blade heels that I see nowadays are worn by Asian women.

Hmm...The more I think about it though, it seems to me that the majority of blade heels that I see nowadays are worn by Asian women.

And strangely enough, is the source of the pairs I've bought. [Asian shop.]

Dead helpful the lady is too. Even put some boots away for me, not knowing for sure when I was returning. :o

• 1 month later...

If anyone is interested, I have a pair for sale - bought from Faith a few years ago for my wife but she wasn't interested and I put them away and forgot about them until now! Brand new, black leather ankle boots with zip, square toe and 4.5" oval narrow blade heel, size UK8. Sorry, no pictures at present. PM me if interested.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a pair I've worn a few times. While very stable, the heel felt too far back for me and didn't give enough arch support. My feet felt like they were sliding down into the toe box. A stiletto heel has a wider top to fully support the heel of the foot, and the pointed end hits the ground a little further forward so that it is directly beneath the center line of the leg. Just my 2 cents anyway.

I still see blade heels during the colder months at times. I know a coworker who wears them religously at work.

OK that's just 1st part of SNYer's QUTE, but it's same with me with one from neighboring department. Shes Got um in Black and Browns, both Ankle and KHB. One of my cohorts has Tan Ankle pair worn very rarely, as all others are just Ankle too (a Short Li'l Cutey) with various style heels styles maxing out at around 4".

Boots Rock!!!!

Blade heels and square toe ankle boots. My wife recently cleaned out my closet and donated three pair of my blade heel, square toe ankle boots to goodwill. Two pair of Bandolino and one pair of Ninewest. Wonderful soft black leather with 4" heels. While they were'nt new, there was a lot of "wear" left in them. But I do have other boots that are more in style and she felt that it was time for these to find another home.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

If anyone is interested, I have a pair for sale - bought from Faith a few years ago for my wife but she wasn't interested and I put them away and forgot about them until now! Brand new, black leather ankle boots with zip, square toe and 4.5" oval narrow blade heel, size UK8. Sorry, no pictures at present. PM me if interested.

I would be interested but I think I have such a pair already, but on the odd chance that I don't, next time you have your camera ready, please take a snap. Thanks!

Blade heels and square toe ankle boots. My wife recently cleaned out my closet and donated three pair of my blade heel, square toe ankle boots to goodwill. Two pair of Bandolino and one pair of Ninewest. Wonderful soft black leather with 4" heels. While they were'nt new, there was a lot of "wear" left in them. But I do have other boots that are more in style and she felt that it was time for these to find another home.

I hope the lucky chap on the receiving end likes them as much as we do.

I would be interested but I think I have such a pair already, but on the odd chance that I don't, next time you have your camera ready, please take a snap. Thanks!

Sorry, Arctic (and anyone else interested), but the boots have just been sold to another member. I don't have a camera at present (even one with glass plates!) so no pics possible at present, but I think these boots (pictures found elsewhere) are the same: http://i6.ebayimg.com/08/i/001/0a/27/7612_1.JPG http://i9.ebayimg.com/01/i/001/0a/99/7548_1.JPG

I was browsing around on eBay and saw these boots in my size and remembered this thread and how I used to see these boots everywhere a few years ago and prefered the look of them so I bought them. I payed more than I wanted, obviously some other guy wanted them as much:

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n21/heels4tw/8e3f_1.jpg

They are from Next (UK) size UK9W or US11 (wide), they fit well except too tight around the top so hard to zip all the way.

I was browsing around on eBay and saw these boots in my size and remembered this thread and how I used to see these boots everywhere a few years ago and prefered the look of them so I bought them. I payed more than I wanted, obviously some other guy wanted them as much:

They are from Next (UK) size UK9W or US11 (wide), they fit well except too tight around the top so hard to zip all the way.

Several other members have addressed this problems before. If you really like the boots and want to wear them outside in public this winter, why not take them to a shoemaker and have the shafts "adjusted" to fit your legs?

According to those that have had the shafts adjusted, it's easy to do and not very expensive.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

How much did you have to throw at them? They are fabulous...

How much did you have to throw at them? They are fabulous...

£51! It was a real impulse buy, I only wanted to spend £30 max but some other bidder was already higher than me when I put in 30.00 so I kept going in 5s during the last 30s and finally got it. Once I start bidding I can end up paying silly amounts :smile:

Several other members have addressed this problems before. If you really like the boots and want to wear them outside in public this winter, why not take them to a shoemaker and have the shafts "adjusted" to fit your legs?

According to those that have had the shafts adjusted, it's easy to do and not very expensive.

Strange I didn't think of that at first, thanks for the suggestion!

£51! It was a real impulse buy, I only wanted to spend £30 max but some other bidder was already higher than me when I put in 30.00 so I kept going in 5s during the last 30s and finally got it. Once I start bidding I can end up paying silly amounts :smile:

That's on the high end but probably totally worth it.