How do I deal with nagging physiotherapist of a Mum?!

squirrelheels

I came in yesterday afternoon and my mum said she didn't want me wearing my heels all the time... obviously I want to, but I won't wear them ALL the time... (I can't exactly wear them for driving lessons or drum lessons...) She suggested I just wear them for occasions or whatever, but I know I want to wear them more often than that... and she objects... Being a physiotherapist, she knows all about the effects of heels on the feet and body and back etc... so how do I respond to it?! Thanks, SH

Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me into your sig and help me spread!

I would agree by saying: OK, I'll just wear them to school, on special occasions or when I go shopping for shoes. And then proceed to wear them when ever you wish. :lol:

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I honestly wouldn't wear them more than 3 or 4 days a week anyway, espcecially if you're walking a long way, in that respect I'm sure she's right. Otherwise, who is in charge of your life SH? You or Mum. She'll be telling you when to go to bed next. Just very politely do what you want with a smile and give her a kiss and a hug. You're a big lad now :lol:

Well, if you're living under Mom's roof, to a certain extent you have to do as she says. Mind you, leaving it at 4 days a week sounds like good advice (oh, if only!)

But parents are supposed to worry, and kids are supposed to rebel. So, I'd say, make it look like you've listened, but follow your heart!

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

I came in yesterday afternoon and my mum said she didn't want me wearing my heels all the time...

If you are not legally an adult, then your mum is legally responsible for all aspects of your life, welfare and actions. As a result, she is allowed to influence your behaviour with controls as long as she stays within the law.

You reside with your mum. If she is the owner or renter, then she is allowed to set rules and you are expected to follow them. Afterall, she is the responsible person under the law.

If you are an adult living with your mum, she can still set general household rules. But as for controlling your life, she is no longer legally responsible so it's not her business anymore.

And if you were an adult living away from mum, you are in total control of your own life and actions.

There is nothing wrong with you requesting more time for wearing your heels. Propose a way of earning this time ....... such as in return for chores performed around the house, or for better grades in school, etc.

click .... click .... click .... The sensual sound of stiletto heels on a hard surface.

Well, mum and dad own the house, and yes they can set the rules, but I don't think they would go as far as setting rules as to what footwear should be worn. Firefox, is there any reason why you suggest 4 days a week? I tend to agree with you on 4 days a week, sounds like a good idea. As it is I tend to wear them as and when I wish, but when term time comes again next week I don't think I'll wear them as much. Do any people have experience, or know of people with experience of health issues from wearing heels? SH

Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me into your sig and help me spread!

I've been wearing heels since decades, the last 5 years continuously (mostly 4-inch lift) from wake up till bedtime. I have no problems with either my feet or back. The only problem I have is pain in my tendons and calves on the rare occasions I wear flats (such as ski boots). By the way, I liked the advise of smiling to your mum while doing it your way. This will work with any caring parent.

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

Re 4 days a week; I suppose it's about half the time. Sometimes I'll wear them at work and then trainers in the evening or vice versa, so that's half and half in a different way. People that wear them all the time can cope with it I'm sure, but it's like cigarettes. I think you risk permanent damage and/or deformity.

PJ wrote: " Propose a way of earning this time ....... such as in return for chores performed around the house, or for better grades in school, etc." Oh PJ! IMHO, that's way too complicated for this situation. :lol:

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I left home when I was 17 .... yes I made quite a few mistakes, but avoided the disasterous ones, and I havn't looked back ! BTW, if you keep to styles you can find in the shops, you might end up with shortened tendons and some knee and back pain, but nothing that cannot be avoided by backing off for a while when your body says it hurts. Xa

Adding to Smeugds advice; If you, like me, is born with a skeletal (developed) dysfunction HH's might be the cure or at least the nicest painkiller, which might compensate for your mothers objections. It is not a standard response here in Sweden, but I think it is in most languages in some form; -Tell her that you want a second opinion!!! :lol: TallSwede