Peep toes

Chrissy85

I would like to get opinions about peep toe shoes (or peekaboo toes, which I think are the same). They were popular in the 1950s and for a brief period during the 1980s. They are making a comeback.

Do you like peep toe shoes?

Do you wear them with nylons or bare feet?

I saw and article that included the following: "The unspoken law of open-toe shoes has been that you should never wear opaque (or otherwise obvious) stockings with peep toe shoes. Well 2008 is putting a big red line thorugh that rule. Tights and peep toes are the year's new 'It couple', declares the ShopBop website. Going totally against the grain, one of the biggest footwear fashion crazes is pairing opaque tights or textured stockings with open-toe shoes. That which was once a serious fashion faux pas is not all the rage."

Personally I don't wear peep toes because I think they look much better and sexier on women who paint their toes to match. I prefer close toes for me but to each his or her own.

real men wear heels

Hi Chrissy, For me, and I am an old fashioned sort of guy, either bare with nicely painted toes, or nude hose without the reinforced toe to the nicely painted toes still peep through. You'll go through plenty of hose though. Probably best to go bare. THis trend, IMHO, is just and excuse to not bother about one of those lovely finishing touches. I wonder what the other ladies will say. Simon.

Are you confusing me with someone who gives a damn?

I have read that they are a powerful signal for those that fetishise the vagina and the penis, in one little cutout. All contained within the world's favourite fetish... The high heeled shoe.

Wow. I thought that I liked them because they are cute, but maybe subconsciously I was projecting my desire for sex. Benno, I must now look critically at all of my shoes to determine if I am broadcasting a hidden message to the public. (lol) Maybe my pointed toe shoes mean that I am aggressive, or dangerous; and maybe my round toe shoes mean that I am soft, easy going, or blunt. Then I have to look at heal shapes, the cut of the vamp, the percentage of the shoe that is open, the inclusion of straps. I've got a lot of thinking to do. Thanks for your comment. I am sure it will generate many more responses than will the original questions. By the way. I like peep toe shoes. I generally wear my hhs with nylons and peep toes are no exception, but I wear nude nylons with peep toes. I am going to have to experiment with colored sheer nylons, opaque nylons, and textured nylons with my peep toes to determine if I like that appearance.

I like peep toes, I think most of my shoes are either sandals or peeptoes. I don't consciously buy a certain kind of shoe, but looking through my collection it seems I do have a lot of peeptoes.

I have read that they are a powerful signal for those that fetishise the vagina and the penis, in one little cutout. All contained within the world's favourite fetish... The high heeled shoe.

I recall to have read this stuff also at one point, but I definitely think it's outdated. Yes, peep-toes do look very sexy on women's feet, and I got my wife a couple of them :o. I personally would not wear them just for this reason.

I also read at one point that open-toe shoes are "too much" (=too sexy) for work. However, I saw some here are work many times, and my wife wears them to work also, though very occasionally only. So, even this part seems to be more open now....

With respect to tights vs no-tights: I definitely think it looks much better with bare feet and nail polish; at least in the summer. Maybe in the fall, when it gets colder, the tights may extent the time peep-toes can be worn, but that's really about it.

I have three pairs of peep toe high heels. Two are sling backs and one pair are pumps. They all have a 4.5" high heel and all of them are comfortable to wear and walk in. Whatever reason anyone likes or dislikes them, I simply enjoy the look and the feel.

Well at the risk of being scorned, I used to call them 'Big toe only' shoes, because we had a teacher that used to wear them and all you could see were her big toes. I would hazard a guess that she was about 40/45 years old. The thing is I was about 15 at the time and, whenever I was in her class, I couldn't take my eyes off of them. The shoes were black non-shiny leather with (I think) a two-inch chunky heel. She never wore nail-polish and her toenails were cut short. It was the tantalising glimpse of her big toes, with the promise of more hidden delights that set my, then teenage, hormones raging. Those shoes, coupled with her authoritarian air, supplied me with many fantasies over the years. This clearly awoke my love of the female foot in open toe shoes. Imagine then, my absolute wonder, on seeing fully open toed high heels for the first time. Until this point, I had never consciously noticed womens shoewear at all. So to me, peep-toe shoes, on women, are tantalising, provocative and somewhat seductive, but fully open toe heels say, 'Look at me. I am stunning and need to be adored.' Well that's my view anyway.

Yes, peep toes can catch ones eye, however, because of personal preferences, I will continue wearing closed toe styled court shoes. I'll leave the open look for those who enjoy the sight of feet and toes.

You'll probably give attention to my psychologial profile, now that I have mentioned it. Did Carly Simon really mean me when she sang "You're So Vain"? People have opinions and some don't flatter footwear.

One can draw parallels with all most anything, given the motivation and time. I have also read and heard that everything can be related to something sexual. A mind so focused on sex can miss many true values life's experiences have to offer.

I also read at one point that open-toe shoes are "too much" (=too sexy) for work. However, I saw some here are work many times, and my wife wears them to work also, though very occasionally only. So, even this part seems to be more open now....

Women's styles cycle in and out of fashion. Most women observe what others are doing and do likewise. So in from about '85 to '98 you normally wouldn't see a woman expose her toes at a business meeting, but lately you may.

In The Woman's Dress for Success, John Molloy had a list of qualifications for Overdressers' Anonymous. Of course one was "I always wear high heels," but another was, "I wear open toed shoes whether or not they are in style." Of course it is kind of funny: Overdressing! Hard to imagine lately.

I don't like to see a lot of foot, but I really like peep toes. However, since they are popular, people are calling sandals and mules "peep toes" anymore.

peep toes shoes are gorgeous.. but then i think that about most women shoes.. have to say though, there are certain style of peep toe shoes i like and not like (size of the cut out, angle of the cutout etc) but that's no different to every type of shoes.....

I like peep-toes. They kinda showcase your toes in a way, especially if they're painted or pedicured. I have a pair myself, and just looove wearing them under my long jeans.

Formally "HHDude"

• 2 weeks later...

peep toes shoes are gorgeous.. but then i think that about most women shoes.. have to say though, there are certain style of peep toe shoes i like and not like (size of the cut out, angle of the cutout etc) but that's no different to every type of shoes.....

I agree with you entirely aussieheels. Peep toes done well can look stunning, but done badly can look shocking!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Reading the above posts, I think that some here consider any type of open-toe footwear to be a 'peep toe'. A true peep toe has only a small cutout which shoes really nothing more than the big toe (and maybe little of that) - almost as if an ordinary court shoe has had about 1" of the front end sliced off. I don't like that style - I think it looks untidy and incomplete, neither one thing nor the other. It is rather as though the wearer has not the courage to show more of the toes (or foot) but wants to wear something a little more daring than a closed court (or cannot cope with a pointed toebox). But I can see that some find this hint of toe provocative. The current trend for hidden platforms (about which I am ambivalent) goes a little awry when combined with a peep toe, as the front end of the platform is inevitably on show and the 'height enhancement trick' revealed. What I do like is a proper open-toe shoe or sandal (the more open the better) preferably worn barefoot with a nice pedicure. That may not always be a practical or acceptable style (e.g. in bad weather, or in the workplace) but to my mind it looks far sexier than a peep toe. Note that I say nothing about heels; their presence or absence does not change my views. But, to my mind, there can be nothing more boring and 'old-ladyish' than a pair of flat peep toe shoes in soft leather or canvas, usually worn for comfort (and it shows). Even cheap rubber flip flops look better!

What I do like is a proper open-toe shoe or sandal (the more open the better) preferably worn barefoot with a nice pedicure. That may not always be a practical or acceptable style (e.g. in bad weather, or in the workplace) but to my mind it looks far sexier than a peep toe.

With that said, what do you think of mine? Acceptable to your standards of a proper open-toe? No pedicure, but that's a little later. Maybe I'll buy some to put on myself.

Formally "HHDude"

With that said, what do you think of mine? Acceptable to your standards of a proper open-toe? No pedicure, but that's a little later. Maybe I'll buy some to put on myself.

I assume you mean those in your avatar, HHD? From the top view, they look neat (more 'ajar' than 'open' but not just 'peep'!) and are lifted by the colour contrast. I can't see the heels (presumably wedges) but these need something more than a flat sole. Comfy and casual but smart!