NYC Heel Meet - 26 july 2008

Arctic

Just a pair of Anne Michelle's I saw in a Burlington Coat Factory. Not expensive, but comfy for me. I've already had the cobbler replace the tips twice now... Arctic, I would rather of had the pics you did on my camera.... LOL

Walking in ultra-highs because it's exciting...and it is!!

10pm soon... I am the last man standing, and my feet are getting tired. Still gonna try my new harleys! Time to go home. Quickly gonna eat something here, then on the subway to Battery park and then driving home. I will post still a few pics on share.ovi.com/boots.

They are my favourites. I paid a LOT more to get a second pair. :-?

Cool updates and picture links. :o

And finally...

the remaining 262 pictures from the heelmeet!

Not too many heels to be seen in the pictures themselves, but all were taken by me wearing boots with loud 4" heels. In crowds, subways, stations, stores, squares, in the NY library. In plain sight. I guess way north of 5 miles of walking. No stares. No giggles. No comments.

We no longer need to make our case, with heels for men we are over the threshold! In places like this, at least.

http://share.ovi.com/channel/boots.nycmeet08-scene

What's all the fuss about?

Artic,

Thanks for posting the pics, some great shots of NY in the mix.

SNIP...Not too many heels to be seen in the pictures themselves, but all were taken by me wearing boots with loud 4" heels. In crowds, subways, stations, stores, squares, in the NY library. In plain sight. I guess way north of 5 miles of walking. No stares. No giggles. No comments.

We no longer need to make our case, with heels for men we are over the threshold! In places like this, at least.

Cuban heels are not currently a female heel shape. They went well with your chosen outfit. I would doubt you would have been able to say the same had you spent the day in stiletto heels. By chosing the right footwear for the occasion, you did not look out of place. Bravo.

Simon.

Are you confusing me with someone who gives a damn?

Cuban heels are not currently a female heel shape. They went well with your chosen outfit. I would doubt you would have been able to say the same had you spent the day in stiletto heels. By chosing the right footwear for the occasion, you did not look out of place.

Could not agree more.

However I was wearing block boots (no pictures of them on the site), not the cuban/cowboy style.

Same logic applies though. And for that reason I advise most people against wearing stilettos on occasions like this!

My question would be, if some guy, wearing stilettos comfortably, would "look out of place", wouldn't they look more so if they weren't comfortable in other styles? Is the object of these meets to try and "fit in" with what other people think, so as not to stand out, or go out in shoes/styles they are most comfortable in? Looks like fun either way, but it would cause me to do more shopping for heels I normally wouldn't wear if it was the former. Love the pics, Arctic!

My question would be, if some guy, wearing stilettos comfortably, would "look out of place", wouldn't they look more so if they weren't comfortable in other styles?

Is the object of these meets to try and "fit in" with what other people think, so as not to stand out, or go out in shoes/styles they are most comfortable in?

I'd say that if you are confident you can wear anything you want.

But, if you are anything less than totally confident, stilettos are typically not the best option: harder to handle, style-wise less compatible with the typical male build, and not all stiletto shoes can mechanically handle a typical man's weight for tens of thousands of steps.

Also wider heels are more suitable for serious walks due to the better lateral support.

Nothing else :o

Artic, I thought the pic of the brown boots were yours and there was a pic outside a car park as well, hence my comment. Stilettoscot. Sure wear what you want whenever and wherever you wish. It isn't illegal. BUT IMHO - and I know that doesn't sit well with many - stiletto heels are something too far for general wear. Sure you have posted your adventures and so have others (kneehighs most notably) and the great fun you have with the ladies in so doing. All have the common theme of the bar/nightclub and far removed from anything to do with the word fetish, and yes that is where, if anywhere at all, men can be far more adventurous. Indeed, it is a great ice breaker. This does not end up in ridicule, becuase the enlightened will notice just how much attention you get from the ladies, and so they may seek to emulate you. (The sincerest form of flatery of course). However, I believe stilettos should be restricted to that for the while as in general, a man wearing stiletto heels as a regular joe is almost unheard of. The click of a heel always makes people look and although stilettos really don't sound too much different from a pair of cubans, but when you look, you don't see the thicker heel as being out of place whereas the stiletto would instantly register as being in the wrong place. Whilst I wish it were the case that men could go from the flat to 4" stiletto heels in on smooth move, reality tells me that fundamental changes to the way society thinks takes time - lots of it. Women have pioneered the heels and slacks look and so on the right man, it works just as well, but with the right heel. If only more would wear heels appropriate to the time of day and activity, then there is a chance we will move forward. To answer your question concerning "the object of these meets". I believe they are to meet like minded people and enjoy their company and make new friends. Maybe throw in a little shopping on the way. It is not about making a spectacle. It is the posibility of it being embarrasing that will stop many more from joining in what is great fun. Then again, I may be totally wrong and please say so. Simon.

Are you confusing me with someone who gives a damn?

Artic,

I thought the pic of the brown boots were yours and there was a pic outside a car park as well, hence my comment.

You got that right, but I only bought those boots at 9pm so by then most of the mileage had been clocked up already. And that was with the block boots!

It isn't all that clear so no wonder it wasn't obvious.

Artic:

Great pictures, especially the ones of NY. :w00t2: You have an eye for style, which completely explains why you would buy the HD boots. :cool1:<I'll just bathe in your reflected glory> :-?

Excellent advice on the 'what to wear' when heeling for some time, and over distance. :o

Thighboots2:

You too sir! Great wisdom. :w00t2:

That is due to the honoring of the request to remove the pics where people are personally identifyable. And the purpose wasn't the hunt for pictures of people in heels, but to create the experience of wearing them.

Thighboots, I appreciate your comments, and wisdom. And am not saying you are wrong in any way...but... Isn't "labelling" when a man should and shouldn't wear a certain heel style (due to being "out of place") being nearly as close-minded as people who say men should never wear heels of any kind in the first place? I know I am relatively new here, and to attempting to be "stylish" in general. But I thought the whole point of this place was to accept men in heels in general, not really to embark limitations on when men "should" or "shouldn't" wear what, quite frankly, they enjoy so as others not to be "emarrased" to be near? To be honest, most of the places I feel most comfortable wearing my heels (all stiletto right now) are in club-type atmoshperes, and probably for the reasons you describe. I would like to buy other style heels to augment my collection, not to have them be limited to worn only to certain places. I just don't get excited looking at shoes with more "conventional and discreet" heels (ie, 2-3" block type heel) that men are "supposed" to wear in public. Isn't the feeling of excitement what it's about? Take guys like Roni and Kneehighs. I know I am not in their body type, which is conventional "wisdom", but the fact they can make stilettos "work" in public does give me ambition to do the same. Speaking of body type, I saw a large girl the other day (wish I had the camera ready..LOL) downtown wearing 4" stiletto pumps. Even though "conventional wisdom" says she should not be wearing those shoes....she looked amazing!! I don't know, maybe I just haven't been around here long enough. I just could never get the same buzz wearing, say, a 3" cuban heeled boot out and about as the shoes I own and love. To me, I might as well be wearing my regular "men's" shoes...

That is due to the honoring of the request to remove the pics where people are personally identifyable.

And the purpose wasn't the hunt for pictures of people in heels, but to create the experience of wearing them.

Understand. I think though that a link on this website to a series of pictures just showing the city is kind of off. Plus, you could crop the images to just the legs, couldn't you?

Thighboots,

I appreciate your comments, and wisdom. I'm not saying you are wrong in any way...but...

Isn't "labelling" when a man should and shouldn't wear a certain heel style (due to being "out of place") being nearly as close-minded as people who say men should never wear heels of any kind in the first place?

I know I am relatively new here, and to attempting to be "stylish" in general. But I thought the whole point of this place was to accept men in heels in general, not really to embark limitations on when men "should" or "shouldn't" wear what, quite frankly, they enjoy so as others not to be "emarrased" to be near?

To be honest, most of the places I feel most comfortable wearing my heels (all stiletto right now) are in club-type atmoshperes, and probably for the reasons you describe. I would like to buy other style heels to augment my collection, not to have them be limited to worn only to certain places. I just don't get excited looking at shoes with more "conventional and discreet" heels (ie, 2-3" block type heel) that men are "supposed" to wear in public. Isn't the feeling of excitement what it's about?

Take guys like Roni and Kneehighs. I know I am not in their body type, which is conventional "wisdom", but the fact they can make stilettos "work" in public does give me ambition to do the same.

Speaking of body type, I saw a large girl the other day (wish I had the camera ready..LOL) downtown wearing 4" stiletto pumps. Even though "conventional wisdom" says she should not be wearing those shoes....she looked amazing!!

I don't know, maybe I just haven't been around here long enough. I just could never get the same buzz wearing, say, a 3" cuban heeled boot out and about as the shoes I own and love. To me, I might as well be wearing my regular "men's" shoes...

Nope, it isnt, regardless of what you wear, if it looks "out of place" with either yourstyle, bodytype, skin colour, height, width etc etc then you will look "out of place"

Roni and kneehighs make it work for 2 reasons, dress sense, and their body shape. If big people wear little clothes/thin clothes it does look out ofplace or un-natural, and the same goes for small/skinny people wearing huge baggy clothing, it drowns them and looks outta place.

Dress sense and body shape/tone/colour/height etc dude.... Co-ordination is the keyword here.

As for "labelling", we are all accepting of "who" we all are, and the interest's we share, but that doesnt mean we have to accept or approve your fashion choices, regardless of what they are. We all have opinions, and can freely express those...

If you came up with a crazy outfit that looked odd, or was kinda laughable, would you just want everybody to sit back and just accept it and to tell you it looks really good (As many already do here actually) or tell you their honest opinions?

Either way, does it really shouldnt matter, if your happy, then who cares?

Heels for Men // Legwear Fashion // HHPlace Guidelines

If something doesn't look right, please report the content ASAP!

Richie,

You didn't answer this question:

Isn't the feeling of excitement what it's about?

nor give your thoughts on this point:

I just could never get the same buzz wearing, say, a 3" cuban heeled boot out and about as the shoes I own and love. To me, I might as well be wearing my regular "men's" shoes...

Just remember what I think I told you when I first joined:

"Not all of us can be fashion guru's, and not all of us wear heels for the same reasons."

BUT, I think your last sentence sums it up well...

You know, I'm the last guy to dictate what anyone should or should not do. But, there is still the environment to be considered. Certain things "work" better than others. That applies to fashion including heels, business, relationships, finances, engineering, media, and probably everything else as well. Also, certain things give more benefit than others. In other words, if you can do a little and get a lot, doing that little thing first is usually the wiser thing to do. Now, how this applies stilettos and occasions like heelmeets is the following: the objective of most people here is pretty simple: "the ability to wear and enjoy high heels in public places without having to consider the opinions and reactions of other people". That ability depends on a few things: 1) technical ability (experience and practicality of the heels) 2) mindset (being convinced that wearing heels is really OK) 3) compatibility with commonly accepted norms Stilettos are not a good match with 1 and 3. Hence you have to be VERY determined to make it work for you. Other styles, like for example 4" cowboy boots, are less of an issue with 1 and 3. Because of fashion history there is almost no issue at all with 2, and the "ability to wear and enjoy" is a more achievable target. Now, if your objective is not "to wear and enjoy high heels" but to "wear and enjoy stilettos" it becomes a matter of degree. If you enjoy wearing high heels a little and stilettos a lot, it is usually still a better "business case" to wear more conservative heels because of factor 1) and 3). So, to sum up: it is a lot easier to achieve enjoyment of wearing wider high heels in public than to achieve enjoyment of wearing stilettos. If you ONLY care about stilettos, well, that is kind of the same thing as ONLY wanting to drive a Ferrari F40 and refusing to step into all other sports cars. That's ok, but you have to realize that achieving that target is a lot harder than if you'd also enjoy a mere Porsche Carrera in the meantime you are working towards the F40.

Understand. I think though that a link on this website to a series of pictures just showing the city is kind of off.

1) I took those scenery pictures for my own enjoyment, as I think photography is fun and NYC is worth photographing

2) there are two channels on Share on Ovi, one for the heel related stuff (taken with my phone and uploaded on the spot for the people who were following online) and another channel for the scenery pictures where I dumped the SLR pictures later

3) considering the amount of off-topic crap that gets posted on this board, a single link to a photo sharing site for photos that were taken during the heel meet by a high heeled photographer, isn't too much of a stretch, or so I thought.

The pictures of the city were included for the purpose of giving people the impression of what kind of public environment tolerates 4" heels without any trouble whatsoever.

Plus, you could crop the images to just the legs, couldn't you?

Sure, I could have. Editing pictures = time consuming and not making my life better. So I decided to do something else instead!

The pictures of the city were included for the purpose of giving people the impression of what kind of public environment tolerates 4" heels without any trouble whatsoever.

I might have taken for granted that most folks here know how NYC looks. I live close by and go there quite often.

As I've written here many times, my experience with NYC is that people who do realize what shoes you wear give you a surprised look, but it never happened to me that I was publicly laughed at. It also depends on the shoe though. Overall, the city is quite tolerant, compared to rural towns or some places in Europe.

• 1 month later...

Richie,

You didn't answer this question:

nor give your thoughts on this point:

Just remember what I think I told you when I first joined:

"Not all of us can be fashion guru's, and not all of us wear heels for the same reasons."

BUT, I think your last sentence sums it up well...

Scott you are so right.

I am sounding like a broken record. It doesn't matter why, it just matters that you enjoy wearing high heels! No matter when, where, with what, if you are happy, that is all that is important. Amen.