Adventures of radiodave

radiodave

• 2 months later...

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems I have been way behind on outings. Strange, I guess I just haven't been as enthusiastic about it. Not very warm out either, and the snow doesn't help much. Saturday I wore my lowest heels - okay, even that's a bit of stretch because they are pretty flat. They are pretty comfortable though, and it's not often you see guys wearing them. Between the coffee shop and the pet store, nothing untoward and no long stares. This evening I wore my chunkier heels to go grocery shopping and to go by the bookstore. Since they are kinda loud, no disguising these. As usual, no bad reactions. I had been toying with wearing some stilettos, but it's a little different when you go to the grocery store where you might run into neighbors or folks you work with.

post-2079-133522880697_thumb.jpg

post-2079-133522880702_thumb.jpg

Dave, good to see you out and about again! I really like the flats in your picture. I have been considering getting a pair or two along those lines. I know this is a high heel web site, but personally I love nice low heels and flats as well. Well done!

Style is built from the ground up!

I like the second pair, Dave - they look a lot like my oxford heels, which I enjoy wearing while travelling.

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.

• 1 month later...

RadioDave:-)

Have you been out streetheeling lately since the weather is moderating?

Cheers---

Dawn HH

Dawn, I came so close on Saturday. It was sunny and 70, and I had to go work on theater lights. Needless to say, maneuvering an aluminum extension ladder and climbing it doesn't work in heels. I did go run some errands in my flats from post #62 on Friday though.

Today I wore a pair of black mary janes, gray dress pants, and my lavender and white dress shirt. I went over to the Verizon store, because I was there Sunday and talked to an associate about a possible upgrade to a smart phone, but found out I didn't have any upgrade perks yet. The Blackberry and extra fees weren't worth it, but he did ask who I worked for, since some companies offer a discount for their employees. Turns out I could get an 8% discount, but since I didn't have any business cards, entry card, or some means of proving I worked there, I had to return. I will say I like the dress code they have there. Most of the female associates had some nice heels :winkiss:. One lady turned around to keep an eye on me as I walked back to their service counter. They got me squared away, and now my wireless bill will be 8% less starting today. Woo hoo! After that, I went over to Barnes & Noble to browse through the board games. They have a Beatles edition of Monopoly that caught my attention. Still thinking about that one, but to really make it worthwhile I might have to have some friends over for a game night or something. I went over to grab a coffee at the cafe, and the lady behind the counter seemed very pleasant to talk to. The other lady ahead of me glanced, but when I smiled back she seemed pretty uninterested.

post-2079-133522884526_thumb.jpg

post-2079-133522884527_thumb.jpg

Dave, its great to see that you are out and about again! Pretty exciting news about saving on your wireless bill to boot...or Mary Jane in your case. I have given some thought about heeling to the wireless store, so I might give it a go soon. Nice look by the way, Mary Janes are a can't miss choice in my opinion.

Today I really felt like wearing my heels, and I had a haircut this evening. I was a bit nervous because all my outings so far have been out in public amongst strangers, but this time the folks at the salon I go to would see them, as would the lady who has been cutting my hair for a while. I was jittery driving over until I said out loud to myself "What's the worst that will happen? They might laugh!". Funny how that works to alleviate your fears. Turns out there was not a thing to worry about. No laughs, no crooked smiles, no strange looks. Sure, I had some folks look, and I could tell that eventually my hair stylist must have seen them as she was taking the cape off. I was wearing the shoes in my avatar, dark trouser socks, black dress pants, and a rust colored dress shirt.

Nice outing, Dave :winkiss: Great shoes to wear out and about. Perhaps the mall is your next conquest? Keep the courage and keep on heeling. The further you get away from your "first" outing, the easier it gets. :silly:

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Actually Bubba, most of my outings have been at the mall. It's more recently that I've gone to smaller venues. I was a little surprised my hair stylist didn't say anything at all. I wore some thong wedges last summer and she commented "Got your flip flops on today? It sure is a nice day for it". Oh well. I guess the important thing was gaining more courage from the experience, and being happy with what I like to wear. :winkiss:

Good Outing Dave and keep up the good work. I've been going to the same stylist for over 4 years. At first she didn't say anything. But after a few times she asked why I wore heels, my answer was "Because I can and I want too." Now I make an appointment and she tries to be in heels when I arrive. But mine are always higher than hers. Everyone in the salon knows about my heels and many of the customers come over to take a look. Most are very complimentory. I've never had a negative remark at the salon. Have a great High Heel Day. Henri

If you haven't learned something new today; you have wasted the day.

Great outing Dave! A hair cut is a great heeling activity for sure. I have done hair cuts and pedicures a few times while wearing heels, though I have got some "crooked smiles" and giggles while doing it, but I have also had a royal treatment that I don't think I would have had if I wasn't wearing heels. I plan on going for a facial and a massage on a heeling outing this summer. It is my observation that people may like the style, they just don't comment often...its like they don't know how to broach the subject. Anyway, glad to see you are out and about and am looking forward to more adventures.

Radiodave –

Your comment about going to the salon, “I said out loud to myself "What's the worst that will happen?" brought back a memory of my dad. My dad liked to argue (good naturedly and not offensively), well one day he went to the barber shop and got into a “discussion” with the barber about some political topic. The problem was, my dad was sitting in the barber’s chair getting his haircut at the time and managed to get the barber so mad he was trembling. (What’s the worst that could happen?) You should have seen that haircut, we were surprised he still had two ears.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Radiodave –

Your comment about going to the salon, “I said out loud to myself "What's the worst that will happen?" brought back a memory of my dad. My dad liked to argue (good naturedly and not offensively), well one day he went to the barber shop and got into a “discussion” with the barber about some political topic. The problem was, my dad was sitting in the barber’s chair getting his haircut at the time and managed to get the barber so mad he was trembling. (What’s the worst that could happen?) You should have seen that haircut, we were surprised he still had two ears.

Lucky for your dad that he didn't go for a shave :winkiss:

• 4 weeks later...

Road trip! A whole day in heels.;)

Today was a sunny day, and I felt like wearing sandals. No discrete pumps, no boots, but sandals. Since there was lots of shopping near Columbus, and I haven't really been around there, I made a road trip out of it. I brought some tall BCBGirls' strappy sandals with thick heels, some low heeled thongs I've worn before, and some Ralph Lauren wedges I've worn before. I started out with the wedges on the way down, with black dress slacks, a yellow dress shirt, and clear nail polish. Pretty uneventful, although I shouldn't have had that coffee before I left. Halfway into my two hour trip, I had to make a pit stop at the Mickey D's. Pretty uneventful there, even when I was waiting at the counter to get some bottled water there wasn't much happening.

http://www.hhplace.org/picture.php?albumid=44&pictureid=930

http://www.hhplace.org/picture.php?albumid=44&pictureid=931

I headed over to Easton Town Center, which I had never been to before. I knew roughly how to get there from the map, but I figured it would be your average mall, and should be no trouble finding Baker's, since they had some heels that had caught my eye. Once I got there, boy was I surprised. It's more like a mall surrounded by lots of smaller strip malls. Rats. I had no idea if Baker's was inside or outside, but I was having trouble finding the actual mall. Fortunately, I had thought to bring my laptop with me, so between it and the GPS I found the nearest Panera Bread. Since I had figured there might be lots of walking involved, I changed to the lower wedges.

http://www.hhplace.org/picture.php?albumid=44&pictureid=932

http://www.hhplace.org/picture.php?albumid=44&pictureid=933

At Panera, I ordered a lemonade, and some girls caught sight of the wedges. Looked like some nods of approval, no strange looks. Once I had my lemonade I fired up the laptop, borrowed their wireless internet, and looked up the street address of Baker's. The GPS was balking at finding it, because apparently the mall wasn't in my GPS maps, and I only vaguely remembered that the street name had "Easton" in it. Google maps to the rescue! So I figured out I was already within a block of the mall, so I got my car out of the metered spot (dang, that's the first time I've had to parallel park this car. I can still do it!), and moved to the free parking.

At Baker's, the sales lady was very pleasant and showed me ones that were on sale. I found the pair of platforms I had been eyeing, and she agreed they were very nice. She came back with the tan ones in the size I wanted, and the black ones that were 1/2 size smaller. She also brought a similar pair in black. I opted to try the smaller ones, and they fit just fine. I strolled over to the mirror, and she thought they looked nice. I said "I bet you don't get many guys buying heels here.", but she said that they actually do get guys trying them on. I could tell there was this question brewing (why do I wear them?), so I shrugged and said "I just think guys shoes are..." To which she interrupted, smiled and said "Boring! Right?". She smiled and said she admired a guy who could relate to what women endure while wearing them, and we both got a chuckle out of that. She did say it was nice day for sandals, so we bid each other good day.

http://www.hhplace.org/picture.php?albumid=44&pictureid=934

http://www.hhplace.org/picture.php?albumid=44&pictureid=935

I wasn't quite feeling up to wearing the new ones, but I made my way over to DSW. Oh my. Quite the selection they had. I found an interesting pair of Steve Maddens, and some strappy Guess dress heels. I had to think hard about the Guess ones, but ended up just getting the Steve Maddens. Certainly the staff was efficient. At least 3 ladies came up smiling asking if I needed any help.

http://www.hhplace.org/picture.php?albumid=44&pictureid=936

http://www.hhplace.org/picture.php?albumid=44&pictureid=937

I went back by the mall, and strolled through the Steve Madden store. The ladies asked if I needed any help and mentioned they were having a buy one get one for half off. Ahh... Dangerous combination there, but I found a sweet pair of suede pumps, which they had in my size! I tried them on, and they fit great. I had thought about wearing them out of the store, but they sprayed something on them, some treatment for the suede. When she said to let them air out when I get home, I figured I'd probably better not wear them just yet. I also asked these ladies if they get any guys buying heels, and she said that they get a few in there. Interesting....

http://www.hhplace.org/picture.php?albumid=44&pictureid=938

http://www.hhplace.org/picture.php?albumid=44&pictureid=939

I was getting a little hungry for some lunch, so I spotted an Applebee's nearby. I put on my BCBGirls' strappy heels, with 4" heels. Very comfortable, actually. I strolled in, and the hostess seated me at a small table by some booths. Plenty of visibility here, once I sat and my pant leg uncovered them. A group of ladies gossiping next to me paused for a split second, saw them, shrugged, and went right back to gossiping. Even after a third lady showed up, they seemed very nonchalant. I think they were far more interested in their discussion than the guy wearing 4" sandals. A few other folks noticed, but that was it. I had a chicken Caesar salad, and a little too much iced tea (more on that later...) ;)

http://www.hhplace.org/picture.php?albumid=44&pictureid=928

http://www.hhplace.org/picture.php?albumid=44&pictureid=929

Once I was back to the car, I was thinking about calling it a day, but I was thinking back to the Guess heels I had seen at DSW. Aw, one more stop. I kept the BCBGirls' heels on, and went back in. I tried them on next to the mirrors, and one of the same ladies I had encountered before asked if I needed any help. No thanks. :penitent: Just had to get them, though I'm not sure what to wear them with.

http://www.hhplace.org/picture.php?albumid=44&pictureid=941

http://www.hhplace.org/picture.php?albumid=44&pictureid=940

That stop done, I got back on the road and headed for home, but as soon as I got on the highway, had to make another pit stop. I went by the Barnes & Noble I spotted, and paid a visit. Pretty uneventful there too. I must say, I had some trepidation wearing these higher heels, but I guess it's pretty much a non-issue. I got back on the road, and as luck would have it, another pit stop. Arrgh... At the rest stop just outside Columbus, I kept them on. A few senior citizens gave some puzzled looks, but that was it. Some girls smiled, and I just smiled back. After that stop, I made it most of the way back, but realized the car would need fuel before I made it home. At the gas station in the rural neck of Ohio, I had to wait for the world's slowest gas pump to finish pumping, so folks had plenty of time to see. And might as well get rid of that excess iced tea from lunch. A couple of boys gave some puzzled looks, but I didn't mind. I just smiled, hopped in the car, and went on my merry way.

On the whole, a great day. Not one negative response that I can tell, and most folks just shrugged it off. Like the cool feeling, and I'm still wearing the BCBGirls' sandals.

Very impressive outing Dave! I have heeled at Easton myself. In fact, I may have actually bought (and tried on) shoes at Steve Madden there. Easton is a heeler's paradise and I am quite happy that you experienced it. Columbus in general is a wonderful place to heel. It is a pretty accepting place and most people are difficult to shock. Other places in C-bus you may want to check out is the Polaris Fashion Place, the Mall at Tuttle's Crossing, and the Short North Arts District. The next time you want to make a road trip, let me know and I may be able to hook up with you. I love the shoes that you bought are fantastic, especially the sandals. Also, I like that you asked about guys buying heels. Very interesting information. Great outing!

Very impressive outing Dave! I have heeled at Easton myself. In fact, I may have actually bought (and tried on) shoes at Steve Madden there. Easton is a heeler's paradise and I am quite happy that you experienced it. Columbus in general is a wonderful place to heel. It is a pretty accepting place and most people are difficult to shock. Other places in C-bus you may want to check out is the Polaris Fashion Place, the Mall at Tuttle's Crossing, and the Short North Arts District. The next time you want to make a road trip, let me know and I may be able to hook up with you.

Thanks HF! I've been to Polaris before. I had thought about going there after Easton, but it was late in the day. Maybe some other time. I'll keep a future road trip in mind! ;)

I love the shoes that you bought are fantastic, especially the sandals.

Which ones specifically?

Which ones specifically?

I really love the BCBGirls and the Baker's. The BCBGirls are very exoctic and work well with a dressy outfit. However, the Baker's are cool and quite retro. Would love something like that to wear with flare jeans. I really like your taste in shoes becasue there is no hiding when you wear them.

Great outing Dave. You have come a long way. Nice just going anywhere, wearing what you want and being "YOU" without the sky falling isn't it. I am working on another Canton heel meet if your interested. Maybe you can help plan it. See me in the heel meet thread.

real men wear heels