A little letdown.

roniheels

How many of you guys have been out and about and you've spotted a pretty woman who is wearing stylish, pretty, sexy clothes, make-up is perfect, eye-catching jewelery, dressed to kill , hot and sexy, and you look down at her feet...and she's wearing flip-flops, crocs, or even (not pretty) flats. Don't you feel a little disapointed? A woman, like anyone, has a right to wear whatever she wants. But to look so alluring from the knees up to her head and then to be wearing basic plain footwear almost doesn't make sense to me. And I do understand comfort. But have you ever wanted to walk up to them and say, "You look so beautiful! And you would score the knock-out punch if you wear wearing sexy high heels." I'm sure that would probably be taken wrong and not go over too well, but wouldn't you at least be thinking it? What would you say, do, or think?

Haha, you could be talking about my wife. She has a closet full of great heels & boots, some of which I've purchased for her, and yet there's times when she'll finish off a great outfit with the *worst* choice of shoes. Like long, skinny pants, but then put on a pair of flats! I've learned to be gentle in my suggestions, and I'm slowly bringing her around. Since she now knows about my heel "thing", she's figuring out I actually have good taste in women's footwear. But yes, I agree that it can be personally disappointing to see an otherwise attractive and well-dressed woman with no shoe fashion sense.

"It's just a flesh wound"

I would only hope/pray she had the non-so-flattering footwear on only to go place to place, and she had an awsome pair of shoes in wait for when she reached her distination..:thumbsup: But, that would be a let down. I would probably just sigh and imagine...

Walking in ultra-highs because it's exciting...and it is!!

I've noticed that a lot with the girls at bars/clubs downtown. We have a lot where I am at all down one street. It's a little bit more relaxed dress code then people in like Toronto or NYC are use to. Most people do dress up, but you do see a alot still in flip flops

I was listening to the radio today and the host of the show declared it the "flip-flop" generation. But this is what I can't figure as gross as most urban/suburban places are, why do people expose their bare feet to such nasty floors/sidewalks/etc. Heels, or at least some substantial attractive shoes seem to be more practical. Just a thought.

Style is built from the ground up!

I hate it when that happens! I see it all the time. I think some women are afraid to wear heels in public for fear of being looked at to much just like a lot of men here are, which brings up another question.

real men wear heels

Yes, I hate when that happens. It's worst when they say "high heels are uncomfortable, they hurt my feet, you don't know how much pain I feel, bla bla bla bla...".

Flavio - Brazilian heel lover, now in France.

i personally dont worry about what others wear. let them do as they please and their fashion sensibliities dictate. i may want them to wear this or that,but i am sure they couldnt care less. and if i want to see my ideal,i dress up and stand in front of my full length mirror.

There use to be a time when people appeared in public, their conscience wouldn't let them dress in a less than a well groomed manner. Even if they were just going to the grocery store for a package of margarine. Now, hardly any one seems to care, unless they are expecting to be with someone they want to impress.

Speaking as a true heeler and if things were left up to me, everyone, and I do mean everyone, should never be without a pair of their favorite heels, either on or carried in a satchel to change into. (DEFINITION: HEELS - any pair of stiletto court shoes with some heeled height ranging from 1.25cm up to sky high, if you can walk in them without helps.) With that being said, could this senario ever become a reality in the real world? In all fairness, probably not. That doesn't keep me from wanting it to be.

I don't know about Crocs. They are ugly, scray things...but I saw a friend's wife in them while fishing a month ago, and she made them HOT. Somehow..LOL

Did she forget the crocs in the sun?

Maybe they melted...

Flavio - Brazilian heel lover, now in France.

...or those ugly "converse" shoes...

They are no way ugly! I own four pairs! :thumbsup:

Maybe these well dressed women are in comfy shoes because they're commuting to and from the office. I see plenty of ladies who obviously wear high heels in the office but wear flat shoes (like trainers even) when they're commuting. Makes sense, especially if you've been in killer heels at work all day.

Heel-D - Freestyling since 2005

Maybe these well dressed women are in comfy shoes because they're commuting to and from the office. I see plenty of ladies who obviously wear high heels in the office but wear flat shoes (like trainers even) when they're commuting. Makes sense, especially if you've been in killer heels at work all day.

HeelD...

You are probably correct. But my point was that it is a let down viewing from the head down and it is fahionably sexy and them...boom...the unexpected. Many of the women in our office wear tennis shoes from the parking lot into the office and then change into high heels.

Hi Gang and like Stilettoscot's review of Wife's Friends CROCS. Guess she either had style that does'nt look like the other Crocs for starters, or could just be combo of its Colour(s) against her Skin Tone that brought on the HOTTness. ON ANOTHER NOTE... Besides other threads on those seen more Dressed Up with a Flip-Flop finish, I've seen many a time already (no matter what Season it is or just the Weather of the day) this other extreme look. Tall High Heeled Boots are being worn under those Super Baggy (Lounge) Pants that just about look like (unless actually being) PJ Bottoms, along with any style top and/or jacket of choise. Seen between Calf and Knee Highs more as their outlines appear with every step taken.

Boots Rock!!!!

Neo sexist claptrap... Give the women a break. Why the hell should they wear heels if they don't want to. I hate to break it to you lot but... many women wear heels when they want to and pretty much for their own pleasure.

I really can't understand women who always insist on wearing high heels whatever the occasion. I feel sorry for them.

There use to be a time when people appeared in public, their conscience wouldn't let them dress in a less than a well groomed manner. Even if they were just going to the grocery store for a package of margarine. Now, hardly any one seems to care, unless they are expecting to be with someone they want to impress.

True, you see a lot of that in the old movies. Women in dresses and heels, men in suits, dress shoes and fedoras, but like everything in life, things (and styles) change.

True, you see a lot of that in the old movies. Women in dresses and heels, men in suits, dress shoes and fedoras, but like everything in life, things (and styles) change.

I love those old movies. I was definitely born in the wrong era. Women in the beautiful dresses and high heels. Men in suits and fedoras. Old pictures of my parents show them dressed this way quite often. I've tried to incorporate the suits and fedoras with my high heels.

As an update to my view on this subject. I find it far more of a crime if shoes are worn that don't compliment the outfit. The height of the heels is irrelevant. I have seen thousands of drop dead looks where flat shoes are totally appropriate. The worst mistake is when women wear high heels that they have chosen simply because they are high with no real regard for the outfit. For example yesterday I saw a woman wearing a really nice strappy summer top, she had perfect makeup and hair and looked like she knew what she was doing. As she walked past the parked car that obscured my view of her lower half I gasped in shock when I saw she was wearing a lovely pencil skirt but really cheap blocky yet really high fake wood monsters on her feet. Maybe the complaints in this thread relate more to the complaining men being 'stuck' in flat mens shoes. Wear whatever you want and I bet other people's heels or lack of them will quickly fade into the distance.

Re: 'i think i would cry, that happen to me the other day. The women i meet up with was stunning with a great sexy dress on, but when i looked at her feet she had on flip-flops i was gutted!!!' Were the flip flops innapropriate or did you just think she needed heels to satisfy you?

Flip-flops are always inappropriate except for the beach or pool.

Ugh!

GWL

I am doing my best to come to terms with flip-flops. M local paper ran a feature on them last Sunday. A young woman said that the reason older people (me fo example, who were actually alive the last time they were in) associated them with beach bums, surfers, and shower shoes. Well, she had a grain of truth to that.

Here is how far I am willing to go today: I agree that thong sandals come in some very nice styles and can be a decent occasional alternative. Combined with the right outfit, they may even be stylish. They are a decent occasional outfit.

Here is where I draw the line: They are NEVER appropriate for work, church, evening wear, semi-formal occasions, visiting the White House (no matter who lives there), or weddings/funerals. It seems to me flip flops have infiltrated even these places. If you want to meet someone you know for lunch, tour a museum or gallery, go to the mall, etc. They (may) have a place.

To me flip flops are simply akin to being barefoot. Your feet get dirty, you can twist your ankle quite easily, etc. Even Jimmy Buffett (noted beach bum) "blew out his flip flop, stepped on a pop top, cut his heel..." So even as I try to give ground, flip flops always make me think that the person is simply a hillbilly attempting to have some fashion sense.

All of that being said, I was out today and say two attractive women (in different places) wearing above the knee skirts. They legs were both tan and muscular. Both were wearing sneakers! Both looked good. From this observation, I think sneakers are more stylish and attractive than flip flops.

Maybe the young woman was right, but for now I am willing to give her the benefit of the doubt.

Style is built from the ground up!

Benno, I think you were just joking, but I find that remark offensive and out of line. Nazis ruthlessly imposed their twisted sense of what society should be on their victims. By contrast, while I find flip-flops repulsive, I don't restrict any persons from wearing them if they want to. I don't impose my sense of fashion on anyone else. I do offer my opinion, and that person can take it or leave it. So I think "shoe Nazi" is much too extreme. GWL HappyFeat, By flip-flops, I mean the cheap rubber thong-type or sandal type shoes you buy for a $1 at a discount store. I don't mean nice leather or vinyl sandals. It's a question of cheap junk versus better quality, fashionable footwear. I think people should wear the latter, except for the beach and the pool. Wearing cheap junk to other social affairs (church, parties, funerals) gives the message, "I don't care enough about this event to take the time and trouble to dress nicely." It's all part of the slobbing down of society. GWL

While flip-flops have their place in the world of fashion, I agree that they should not be worn with "dress" clothing. I'm sorry, but putting a few rhinstones on the toe straps does not make them "dress" shoes. And while I would prefer to see heels with dress clothes, a low pump can look quite nice as well if comfort is king. But flip-flops with a business or evening wear dress - no freakin way! Casual has gone way too far in my opinion. And to concur with some other posts, those damn rubber things shouldn't be allowed to actually leave the beach..put them on when you get there, off when you leave...lol. Can you imagine how bad those feet must smell after a day in rubber shoes? eeecch

Benno,

I think you were just joking, but I find that remark offensive and out of line. Nazis ruthlessly imposed their twisted sense of what society should be on their victims. By contrast, while I find flip-flops repulsive, I don't restrict any persons from wearing them if they want to. I don't impose my sense of fashion on anyone else. I do offer my opinion, and that person can take it or leave it. So I think "shoe Nazi" is much too extreme.

GWL

It's just a turn of phrase. I used to call my DJ friend a 'Music Nazi'. I am Jewish (lots of members of my family were killed during the war) and my best friend is a 'proper' blonde German. I'd say you need to get over it.

Laughter is the best medicine.