Wasting money on shoes in the UK

Amanda

Unfortunately, duty and/or VAT is levied on the carriage charge too. The £6 handling carge is quite reasonable. Parcelfarce charge £13.50 for this "service":sad: ISTR Royal Mail only charge £4.50 for handling.

The handling charge was very reasonable at £6, and quite a pleasant surprise given PF charges as you indicate.

But how did anyone get £15 duty on a £50 invoice? That's more in keeping with an £85 invoice surely? If your math isn't good (mine isn't) that charge of £15 works out to 30%. [Double both figures.]

Grrrr.

:thumbsup:

From my limited experience of importing stuff from the US the amount levied is very variable. It should be VAT at 17.5% plus any duty plus the handling charge which itself may be subject to VAT. You don't usually get a full breakdown of what's what. The rate of duty depends on the type of goods and there's a complicated document on the HMRC website that explains it all after a fashion. In practice I think they just multiply by the number they first thought of.

In practice I think they just multiply by the number they first thought of.

Rang Fedex today, had the charges explained to me in idiot mode (at my request).

Because the ACTUAL carriage charges were not made obvious to Customs [invoice plainly visible on box outer], they chose a somewhat exaggerated carriage cost from 'thin air'. Double the actual cost. :smile:

This made the invoice "cost" as decided by Customs, circa £80 which attracted the £14 VAT fee. A formal re-submission of the invoice with correct (original) charges carries a £30 administration fee, so I'll just have to pay.

The only comfort I take in my government being so effective at taking money off me, is that I still get goods here faster and cheaper than Queen Elizabeth I, once leader of the whole country. :thumbsup:

..... chose a somewhat exaggerated carriage cost from 'thin air'. Double the actual cost. ......

And I thought I was writing at least partially in jest:mecry:

At least with stuff I've had from the US the sender has been fully aware of the need for nice clear customs documentation and I've never been charged more than 17.5% VAT plus the £13.50 Parcelfarce handling fee.

And the more you keep on buying and paying, the more the UK government will keep charging. If we all stopped buying from the states, then the USA might also join in and help us to kick the crap out of our theiving politicians... Why should we all pay for their mortgages and home improvements, then get taxed again on our remaining income just because of who we buy things from? I'd say keep your money in the UK only, dont buy your shoes from outside the UK at all, then see how many companies from abroad join in to help us when they start losing some trade? Best to waste it in the UK, than to double the waste spending it elsewhere.

Heels for Men // Legwear Fashion // HHPlace Guidelines

If something doesn't look right, please report the content ASAP!

I'd say keep your money in the UK only, dont buy your shoes from outside the UK at all, then see how many companies from abroad join in to help us when they start losing some trade?

Best to waste it in the UK, than to double the waste spending it elsewhere.

That's my recommendation too, but these boots are not available elsewhere. It's import from the US or go without. In fact I'm begining to think there is only one other pair my size on the planet, and to get a second pair is going to cost me £120 [all in]. Nearly double the cost of the first pair..... :thumbsup:

I'd say keep your money in the UK only, dont buy your shoes from outside the UK at all, then see how many companies from abroad join in to help us when they start losing some trade?...

/rant/ and most of the money goes out to China anyway 'cos that's where it's all made /end rant/

It's import from the US or go without.

Have you got friends in the US? Have them shipped there and treat yourself to a trip acorss the pond. Or have your friends ship them to you with more appropriate documentation. Remember that the boots will be secondhand by then and hence worth rather less.

And the more you keep on buying and paying, the more the UK government will keep charging. If we all stopped buying from the states, then the USA might also join in and help us to kick the crap out of our theiving politicians...

We need to kick some significant crap out of our own thieving politicians while we're at it!

Have a happy time!