Custom boots - some advice, please

sm

Hi - I've been toying with the idea of buying a pair of custom-made boots, which is something I've always promised myself I would do one day. Having done a bit of internet research, I fired off an email to a firm in London (J Taylor of Baker St). They replied, telling me that an order for a pair of bespoke boots would cost from £2,550 + VAT. Think that could be a bit out of my price range for the minute (and then some!). So, my question to you all is - is this to be expected in a want quality, you have to pay for it way, or does it sound ridiculously expensive? I guess you're paying for the craftsmanship, measurings, choosing the leather, etc, which I must admit is something I would greatly enjoy. Any thoughts? Steve

I'm very satisfied with my Chinese-made Payless boots; they will probably last a shorter time than any custom pair, but I may tire of the style, once they wear out. Meanwhile, I'll enjoy my 3" knee-high spikes, and will switch to low-cut toe-cleavage heeled Mary Jane pumps when they wear out. Yes, I have the brass for toe-cleavage; no worse than wearing a pair of (groan) flip-flops. (Have used a pair of low-cut M.J.'s twice, with no problems).

Ian Edgerley at Jean Gaborit Boots in paris makes some of the best custom made Boots in the world, can be a bit more pricey than most however the quality is well worth it. With a dozen pairs now from JG I can certainly attest to the great craftsmanship. They also do som eoff the shelf stuff.

custom Boots - http://www.jean-gaborit.com

off the shelf - http://www.euroboots.biz

Also mention you are a HHPLace member, Ian is too. The custom made Boots will not run as high as you were quoted from the UK firm, JG's Boots are more like $700 to $800 USD.

cheers,

david

"Dress For Your Own Pleasure"

You're correct, the Carly Simon's song doesn't even do justice to the feeling of the "anticipation"! And then, the first actual adventure out in them when they arrive, omg! With a dozen pairs now, I enjoy wearing my Jean Gaborit Boots more than any other Boots in my closet. The high heel Boots are so comfortable and even though you're on 4" and 5" heels you never know it, true sign of quality. You can see some of the styles as I wear them in the gallery section especially in the "hidden members" gallery. Cheers, david

"Dress For Your Own Pleasure"

Thanks iloveboots, I am planning now to pursue a pair or more of them. How long did the order-recieve etc. take with the makers? I am off to Scandinavia on sunday for a couple of weeks, will get thhe holdof you for interest and conversation once I am back. Thanks again! mtns of heels