Celebrities in High Heels

The Daily Mail page was updated to show Gwyneth wearing flat sandals later today; I suppose she deserves a few hours off!

The Paccini shoes look hideous to me, and the heels are nothing like the 7" claimed - perhaps 5.5". And that includes at least 1" of clumpy platform.

The Zanotti nude courts look very nice, with commendably thin stilettos about 6" high. But they would look even better without that hidden platform, which makes them look top-heavy. High stilleto shoes or boots need no embellishment; they look much more elegant with a single sole and a tapered or pointed closed toe - and maybe a slingback or discreet bow or buckle. Keep open toes for strappy sandals, the more open and spindly the better!

Gwyneth Paltrow has had more than her share of press comment in the last week as a result of the shoes she has been wearing. If her aim was to secure personal publicity, it has certainly succeeded. If one Googles 'Gwyneth Paltrow shoe' or similar, many articles, photos and comments can be seen. Gwyneth is attractive enough without being an outstanding beauty and is clearly not cheap, immature or stupid. I am sure that many women can relate to her even though they cannot enjoy the same lifestyle. I wonder, however, whether she has done the high heels cause more harm than good? Whatever one thinks of the particular styles she has been wearing, the common factor has been that her heels were high (albeit usually with a platform and with the height invariably exaggerated by the journalists). We can appreciate the attention she has drawn to 'high' heels and the boost this may possibly give to supply and demand. But the press and public comment has been largely unfavourable, concentrating (rather predictably) on the usual issues of discomfort, heath and impracticability rather than the overall look or style (which have both also been attacked). There don't seem to have been many supporters out there. Maybe the erroneous belief that most of her heels were six or seven inches high has dampened enthusiasm amongst those women who could wear a five inch heel (without a platform) - or at least would be willing to try - and assume that Gwyneth's shoes provide a greater rise than that and are simply 'too extreme'. And, when the copies hit the high street shops, they may be ignored because of that association. I hope I'm wrong!

Have you ever seen Louboutin's Clichy Style? To me it is the most beautiful pair of high heels ever made. And, the reason I don't already have a pair is because of their price. I refuse to pay that much for a pair of high heels for a man. (If you do a thread search, you will find a picture that I posted earlier.)

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Shall I say what's so great about Louboutins, or shall I leave it to you Amanda Snake?! I admit before buying them I was a bit sceptical about any shoe over £150 ($300) but as soon as I saw them, and as soon as Amanda told me about them I had to get a pair. I love how they feel, I love the shape of them, I love the red soles and I have to admit that part of it is down to their reputation. I just feel so sexy in them and like I can take on the world. When I wear them literally everyone talks about them and complements me. It's difficult to put into words why they're so good though, and I thought the same as you once.

Even as a man, seeing the Louboutins, they're just something about them, let's say that they just look sexy. I would almost say that there's something magical about them. But true, the prices are a bit mythical as well! (that didn't stop me from buying a pair)

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, those are very cool boots that Alison Krauss has on. Also, back in the 70's, Robert Plant used to wear the tall Frye boots that were popular back then. Incidentally, "Gone, Gone, Gone" from the Alison Krauss / Robert Plant collaboration sounds pretty good, too.

Great difference. Photoshop?

No, actually a very easy adjustment. I just played with the brightness and the contrast till it looked better.

I used Serif Photo Plus, but most/all basic graphic programs can do that.

FLAT SHOES, LIKE FLAT DRINKS, ARE FOR FLAT PEOPLE