What if the heels were on the other foot, so to speak.

Histiletto

Brainstorm with me a bit using the same type of today's thinking standards. If the wearing of high heels had been only in the masculine wardrobe and every thing else progressed to the technology and social interaction we have come to know, what would the world be like?

Men would be wearing stilettos for maximum sex appeal to women. Advertisements would be built around such an appeal too: picture the beginning of an ad zeroing in on a mans wet face, moisture from water seen on the models face, then the camera pans down past his glimmering chest, and eventually to his stiletto covered feet. That would drive women crazy!

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

Men would be wearing stilettos for maximum sex appeal to women. Advertisements would be built around such an appeal too: picture the beginning of an ad zeroing in on a mans wet face, moisture from water seen on the models face, then the camera pans down past his glimmering chest, and eventually to his stiletto covered feet.

That would drive women crazy!

I have to agree with Kneehighs. With the exception of the human species, the male is the more colorful, picturesque creature of the various species. I believe women too would wear high heels, but the more fashionable, fance, and colorful high heels would be worn by men in this scenareo. What an interesting thought.

It would be great to know that a sexy pair of heels would drive women crazy, because I will NEVER have those six pack abs...unless you count my abs being hidden under several consumed six packs... Correct me if I am wrong, but weren't high heels and silk stockings originally were primarily part of the masculine wardrobe? My fashion history isn't too keen, but I had always heard that high heels were popularized by Louis XIV.

Style is built from the ground up!

In history heels have been an essential part of the male wardrobe reaching a peek in the 17th century when heels as high as 5 or 6" were worn by men, particularly short monarchs like William III and Louis XIV would wear them to tower over thir courtiers who would then copy him and wear them too! Satins, lace, silk stockings and high heels were considered signs of wealth and breeding and so attractive to the opposite sex. The lower down the social scale you were the lower your heel and the less satin, lace or silk you wore. The world would not be much different really except that heels might be worn by the military as part of a dress uniform and might be essential to wear with a suit.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

The French Revolution saw the end to high heels for both sexes. As they were considered to be aristocratic items of dress one would no longer wear them for fear of a trip to the Guillotine.

And disagreements between Scotland and Britain led to an end of skirts (kilts).

Funny how these historical wars lead to fashion stigmas that last hundreds of years...

So when do we get the metallic unisex jump suits?

Actually, this is about the nerdiest post that I could even conceive of, so be forewarned.

In the first season of Star Trek, the Next Generation, there were several shots of male crew members wearing dresses similar to the uniforms worn by the women in the 1960's original series - complete with go-go boots, though they didn't seem to have quite as high of heels. So apparently 300 years from now guys can wear what they like.

Style is built from the ground up!

I think this is a great and very thought provoking thread. The world would be a very different place, and considerably more fashionable, as in todays climate men really get the raw deal on fashion. Women have such a massive choice of what to wear, where our selections are not so great. The only downside is that with women taking so long to get ready, that if both sexes were in the same boat, going out for a night might take a while to get out the door!!

I think this is a great and very thought provoking thread.

The world would be a very different place, and considerably more fashionable, as in todays climate men really get the raw deal on fashion. Women have such a massive choice of what to wear, where our selections are not so great.

The only downside is that with women taking so long to get ready, that if both sexes were in the same boat, going out for a night might take a while to get out the door!!

Hey Trinity,

I like to think many things would change for the better. Men wouldn't see life as a bland, same old same existence and they would be more apt to better their status and appearance, because they will be more motivated. Wearing heels tends to make a person want to achieve more. May be this effect is from watching the way women seem to tackle life and most of them are avid heelers.

If men had as many choices of what to wear, they might be better able to answer some of the questions they get, such as: Does this look good on me? or Which one should I wear, the blue or the pink? Right now, it is a toss up because they look great in either and they want to let us feel we know what we are talking about.

Under the scenario I first posted, if heels were considered to be only for the men's wardrobe and we didn't have the attitude that women should wear them, would men feel encroached upon when they hear of women heelers? What kind of world would come from this situation?

Under the scenario I first posted, if heels were considered to be only for the men's wardrobe and we didn't have the attitude that women should wear them, would men feel encroached upon when they hear of women heelers? What kind of world would come from this situation?

Now that is tricky to answer, i think men would feel encroached upon, but only because of the way we think today (what we are used to thinking).

IF men had always worn heels, our complete psyche would be different and we would not be the macho people we are, i could well have transpired that women were the percieved dominant sex, which would mean that men would be a lot more demure and "feminine" As a result i dont think we would feel encroached upon in general, but there would always be some dissenters.

IF men had always worn heels, our complete psyche would be different and we would not be the macho people we are, i could well have transpired that women were the percieved dominant sex, which would mean that men would be a lot more demure and "feminine" As a result i dont think we would feel encroached upon in general, but there would always be some dissenters.

It's interesting that you summized that men would have the demeanor of femininity just because they wore the heels! Therefore, women had to be dominant in their roles.

Of course, this is going along with the thinking that men can't perform their manly activities or functions while wearing high stiletto heels. Funny though, in our social reality women with their heels on seem to be able to walk circles around men in some areas. Which indicates men and women are more alike than most want to concede. Obviously, women aren't impaired by wearing heels, except may be for the length of their stride, just like men would also be.

Wearing heels takes a lot more effort out of a person than most any other footwear. Giving some extra effort and strength is part of the definition of macho and wearing heels qualifies in this category. So, why isn't the idea of wearing high heels a masculine thing as well as feminine?

Well you are correct in what you say, as certain women in heels are deemed to be powerful and dominant (dominatrix for example, and powerful business women) and i guess women in high heels exude a certain ammount of confidence too. But there are lots of instances thatmen deem as Girly. For instance you dont see women in heels running for a bus or power walking. So as men we view that in a certain way, so if the roles were reversed that is how we would be viewed.

But there are lots of instances that men deem as Girly. For instance, you don't see women in heels running for a bus or power walking. So as men we view that in a certain way, so if the roles were reversed that is how we would be viewed.

If men were accepted heelers in society, the concept of being "girly" would have different definitions and perspectives. In fact the term may not be used to refer to heels or their wearer at all. Wearing heels would be just another dressing item an individual could choose. Running or power walking in heels could be just another activity, should there be some that want to do them. However, most heelers just want to wear them because it is their choice.

The act of males wearing heels doesn't necessarily mean men would have to switch roles. A man's mobility in heels would be a little different, but that doesn't mean his abilities and skills would have to suffer or become less efficient, providing he has come prepared and knows what is needed for the task completion.

I don't know what it is, but some how there is an attitude that men can't be themselves when they wear heels. This idea must have come from the present expectation in our social environment. Somehow heels have come to hold this charm or persuasion which makes men loose their self-control. I won't deny that my head turns when I have even an inkling that a pair of high heel pumps are within my vicinity of acknowledgement. Could it be that men are more fascinated by the anticipated wearer than the heels alone? In a world where men also wear heels, this cause of fascination would be kind of lessened in the men's category, because of the percentage factor that men would also make the same stepping sounds as women. However, whose to say women wouldn't start anticipating as men avidly wear their heels. Maybe a well-trained ear could differenciate between the two, but for most part they will be the same sound.

It would most likely turn the whole heel wearing thing around as it would be redefined as manly which may also dictate a change in styling. Imagine a band of women who are forbidden by society to wear heels as they are menswear who have a website in support of their "fashion freedom". There might probably be a few men on the site who support the women with their quest.

I don't know what it is, but some how there is an attitude that men can't be themselves when they wear heels.

I have to disagree mate, I dont think anybody can be anything but themselves, so I'd like to know where this apparent "attitude" you speak of comes from?

I think it's all in your head maybe?

Heels for Men // Legwear Fashion // HHPlace Guidelines

If something doesn't look right, please report the content ASAP!

I don't know what it is, but some how there is an attitude that men can't be themselves when they wear heels.

I also find that debatable. Speaking for myself, I don't feel any different than normal, I experience no loss of control when I'm wearing heels instead of sneakers. To me, heels are simply part of my wardrobe, part of who I am and my sense of fashion freedom. Nothing more, nothing less.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

There is an attitude that men can not be themselves when they wear heels. As a heeler also, I can identify with those who disagree with this latter statement, if this is all that is remembered while reading when it was used in my former post. Certainly, we know that wearing heels is just another preferred choice we have for our footwear. They don't change us from being who we are. The reference of the mentioned statement is to the people who can't grasp the concept that men are as able to wear heels as anybody. Those lacking this perspective for male heelers, consider us to be degrading masculinity and femininity for putting them together, as they see it. Until society realizes footwear of any kind doesn't have a gender preference, except in their socially biased attitudes, male heelers will have to continue to watch their steps. You can't deny that you aren't concerned every time you are heeling that something will happen to remind you of what those around might be thinking, because of your heeling. (This is what is in my head.) It takes a lot of self-motivation and positive thinking to endure or carry on in social situations. Of course, there are the possibilities of motivating those males who also want to heel publicly, but don't want to break the mold on their own. The more male heelers are seen, the easier it gets toward acceptance. That doesn't mean the path will be easy even then, but I really would like to be apart of the accepted heeling community where ever I go. (Gosh! I just figured out that I sound a lot like the PBS people when they are looking for donations for financing their programming.)

i dont think you would see them for everyday wear. maybe for sanctioned rituals,military parades and the like. they are just not very functional for work,play,etc. I kind of could see them used to confer status on the wearer at ceremonies,etc as well.

Yup! crotchboots-m, You are most likely right in the assumption that our heeling, will be limited to certain functions, unless we want to be impressive (for good or bad) or stand out at non-functional heeling events or gatherings. However, we had better expect to disgard our footwear afterwards, because we will probably sustain enough damage to render the heels unwearable for the socially appropriate heeled meetings or groupings. Never-the-less, it will be great to make those kind of choices without having to be defensive while so engaged in high heel travels to whatever the event.

To the original question... Men would be saying "these shoes are killing me". Men would have a closet full of hundreds of shoes and saying "I don't have the right shoe for this outfit" (wich often happens to me). Men would be dancing barefeet in weddings because feet were burning as hell. Men would be taking shoes off to enter the boarding room in airports. And so on

Flavio - Brazilian heel lover, now in France.

To the original question...

Men would be saying "these shoes are killing me".

Men would have a closet full of hundreds of shoes and saying "I don't have the right shoe for this outfit" (wich often happens to me).

Men would be dancing barefeet in weddings because feet were burning as hell.

Men would be taking shoes off to enter the boarding room in airports.

And so on

I like your examples. You can also add:

Men wearing trainers to work, then changing to heels at their desks. I know all about that because I used to do it!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

• 3 weeks later...

Also would shorter men feel more comfortable with taller women, because they could put on a pair of heels and be taller themselves!!

Yes. In a perfect world, if I were to go out with a woman who was 5' 10" and I am 5' 9", and she was wearing 3" high heels, then it would be great to slip on a pair of 5" high heels to go out with her and she and no one else would have a problem with this. Again, that is in that "perfect world."