Ballet Boots, How long can you last?

Trinity

After reading the rather excellent trapped story, read it you have not. I was wondering if i could manage 24hrs in ballet boots, It then got me thinking, what is the longest people on the forum have worn them for? I would love to know how long and how it felt. For me i think it is a paltry 4hrs, ending with some serious toe pains, but a great deal of satisfaction.

I'm still working out the best padding to use in mine. I'm also not 100% sure they are exactly the right size (maybe a little large) so am trying with different thickness of socks. I have slept in them a couple of times (cheating I know :roll:) As to standing and walking, no more than a few minutes at a time before I have to sit down. Getting less cramping now though. A little piccy of me standing in them with my work trousers on.

post-11803-13352285838_thumb.jpg

I was out of town last Mo. and took my boots with me. If my memory serves me right I'm 62 I was able to wear my boots from 5:30 pm. till I went to bed and I kept them on till 4:00 AM. Some days. One nigt I had to take them off because my calves cramped real bad when I woke from sleep and started walking to the bath room. I was able to wear them most evenings after work for 3 to 4 hrs after my legs had some rest from the cramps. The padding I use works for me and wearing them barefoot is a plus also. I have tried various socks but I find my foot slides down and when I walk my toes takes most of the hit where bare foot my foot is held up higher with less weight on my toes. This helps I think a lot because I can ware them longer pain free without socks. My regular shoe size is 10-1/2 US and the ballet boots are 12s. I haven't been able to wear my boots as much now after returning and my ankles are taking a bit of a hit when I start a walking session but after I walk a while and take a rest then my ankles get used to walking and the pain goes away. I have gotten to the point where my toes don't hurt and I consider that great progress. Well that is it for now. Keep on your toes. Dr Who.

I have a pair of ballet boots that must be too large because I have a terrible time standing in them. My feet slide forward and my toes and arches start to cramp really bad. I think I made a horrible mistake.

I dont think sleeping in your boots is cheating, I think it is all part the process. Wearing Ballets is a challenge, so being able to sleep in them is just another part of that, well done to all who have slept in them.

Hi Lauren: I think I also bought my boots a size too large but I have taken up the space withh some EVA foam padding on the front of my foot along with the gel toe pads. this works well for me and my foot is held back up on the heel and my toes lightly touch the floor. Try adding some padding like EVA (a soft cut up flip flop)or some orher kind of foam or even a big sponge used for washing your car cut to fit in the area around the top of your foot between your foot and the inside of your boots. This works for me. Another thing that must work is to buy a pair of pointe shoes and ware them inside your boots like Jim does. See his post,ballet boots on a motorcycle. I hope this helps. Keep on point Dr. Who 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Iam Normal: I too think my ballet boots are a bit to large or they have streched out allowing my feet to slide to the bottom putting a lot of presure on my toes. I have found a remedy of sorts. I used a thick piece of leather and made a spacer ( this could be made of thick poster board layers) that I place inside my boots (kind of like a insert you would get for reg, shoes) it is about 3/16" thick or less and it allows my feet to be held up higher in the boots I also use the ballet gel toe pads and I pad the tops of my feet. When I place my feet in the boots everything is quite tight but after a while my feet adjust and I can walk/stand quite well as long as my ankles and legs can stand it. I am up to a few hours now and yes I have slept my boots in. If I can get my legs in shape I think I could go all day in these things. Best to you and I hope this helps. Standing higher Dr. Dwo 3

I have a pair I bought years ago that I have not been able to wear much lately. :smile: I can wear them for several hours continuously when NOT walking on them (just sitting/sleeping), but can only walk short distances in them unfortunately. I have tried gel pads, thick socks, etc, but still my longest walk in them was a few minutes at most and it got very painful after that. I am thinking of trying to create somehow a solid insert for ballets that would help support the foot from the ball of the foot, that would fit under/behind/between the toes if you can picture it would establish a kind of platform for the ball of your foot to sit on ina way. So essentially the bulk of your weight would be transferred to the joint part of your feet just above the toes. Just a picture in my head really, not sure how I could possibly create something like this, or if there is even enough room inside the shoe to make something like this work, but in my head, it seems like it could really work. :thumbsup:

hhboots: if you can find some old flats that fit but are expendable, you could drill a small hole[5mm/1/4"] inthe toe area, dust your feet with talcum powder then inject silicon mastic into the toe area with a builders cartrige gun. Sit or lie still until it sets, an hour should suffice, then remove shoe and leave for 24 hours. Next day remove silicon, this probably entails destruction of donor shoe, and trim excess material off. Adjust end, and if needed, sides to fit your bbs. When you lace into you boots, the insert should grip your toe area and fill any spaces, keeping your foot as in a flat position. I've not actually tried this, but think it could work, if you try and it doesn't, sorry, but i accept no responsibility, if it works.....yaeh, great, ain't i brill.

totter along into history

Hi Lorriette, I tried your suggestion for my own boots and ended up with a rather nasty inflamed section on 3 toes where the silicon reacted, rather painful! i would suggest covering the feet with a thin plastic bag too prevent this happening again , i will try again sometime ! However , i already produced a solution too this problem about 8 months ago using expanding foam!!! bare with me ! inset a large enough plastic bag into the boot ( i used a small bin liner ,pedal bin type) spray the inside of the bag lightly with water, place a bag over the foot( the same type will do ) tape on too secure too the foot and calf , spray this also it does not have too be dripping wet, this all helps the foam slip and slide, place the foot with bag inside the bag in the boot do not lace up yet, place the tube of the foam can down inside around the toes squirt the foam inside the boot not a lot required it expands about 10 times its size! Lace up the boot as quickly as you can keeping your foot too the back of the boot , you will feel the foam expanding and moving around and it does make the boot rather tight at times but if you live with it , not sure now how long it took too set but it wasn't ages , you can fee it setting !! DO NOT OVER DO THE FOAM!! as i said it expands and finds its way everywhere if you are not careful, but the finished article is great it fills the gaps at the end of the boot surrounding your toes it also fills any gaps around the arch area giving extra support, it may take a couple of goes too get it right but they work brilliantly, removal is easy you foot doesn't get coated in anything nasty and neither does the boot if you are careful!!!!!! with the amount!!!! peelaway the bags, use as it is after fully set or tape the outer surface too make easier too remove from boot if you wish too remove ever, you can trim for a perfect fit etc etc. mine lasted me around 7 months of wear and tear , tied lorriettes idea too see if woud work better but , i will refer too my idea again , hope this works for you ,