stereo gear

Got several vintage transistor amps and DIY tube equipment. Also, a Philips reel-to-reel tape recorder, an FM tuner, 2x15ch. graphic EQ, digital reverb, CD and turntable.

What is good for a goose, can be good for any gender!

I've never had enough money to get high-end gear - nor the quiet and carefully laid out room to put it in! One day, when I'm rich and famous... actually, I'd settle for not-poor and obscure. Incidentally, I was very impressed with the Bose Wave radio for one particular use. I play in and run sound for several bands, and turned up to one gig - church hall, about 70 people - to hear some recorded music being played at quite considerable volume and with good clarity and no discernable distortion given that there was a room full of people as background noise. I'd expected there to be a small PA rig in the room, but no... there was this Bose Wave in the corner, turned up to about 90%, easily handling the level. Cue one Very Surprised Sound Engineer :-).

I've now left HHPlace. Feel free to use the means listed in my profile if you wish to contact me.

. . . One day, when I'm rich and famous... actually, I'd settle for not-poor and obscure.

. . .

Go for "rich". You can buy fame!

Have a happy time!

Go for "rich". You can buy fame!

Heh. I don't *want* fame - too many cameras, too many begging letters, too many layers of protective flunkies.

I've now left HHPlace. Feel free to use the means listed in my profile if you wish to contact me.

I didn't mean to be all that negative about the Bose. It has a remarkably wide range, It's just that it seems to me to be weak in the area of 1 to 3 kHz, and there is no tone control on the units I've seen, and they sometimes have trouble playing cdr's.

I didn't mean to be all that negative about the Bose. It has a remarkably wide range, It's just that it seems to me to be weak in the area of 1 to 3 kHz, and there is no tone control on the units I've seen, and they sometimes have trouble playing cdr's.

And I wasn't defending them - merely commenting on how one sounded in a relatively noisy environment :-). In general I'm not worried by the lack of a tone control, as it means the phase is going to stay as per the source (give or take CDs, where sampling error means the detail on the high frequencies is gone anyway). Next time I get a chance to listen to one (hopefully in a quieter environment!) I'll listen for the frequency response. Since my usual sound reproduction system is a 1kW PA rig, some of the subtleties are lost on me!

I have a musical fidelity A308 pre and power amp and cd player, which are great, i love great hi fi

It seems strange to endorse any sort of 40-plus year-old technology, but I stand by my apprecition of these Ampex speakers. They use vacuum-tubes (glad I have a supply).

I know what you mean, you get some speakers that just are warm and enticing, it appears that the ampex ones are just like that. Some speakers make you think the singer/band are right in frot of you. Is that how they make you feel?

Lets see once my system consisted of a Parasound 5 Chanel amp, nice amp sold it... But the rest of my system consists of Yamaha turner two channel receiver, CD player, tape deck, and a Dolby surround sound amp processor now no longer connected. I have a Snell E.5 towers and surround speakers "in storage" Snell is now owned by Boston Acoustics. Finlay 12" sealed Cambridge sound works subs, nice tight base however too big for a mobile home. Now, my system is really to big for the place so I have decided to sell my speakers and go for a new set from Boston Acoustics E Series : Book shelf or find a used pair of K.5 book shelf speakers that would match the current surround sound set up.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

Now please don't laugh, my stereo system consists of a OnkyoTX-SR304(:roll: AV Reciever, two Polk Audio Towers, Sony center and surround speakers and a Aiwa Subwoofer. It sounds really good. Eventually I would like to go with a Orb audio speaker system, but do not have the cash right now, they are more expensive than Bose and sound much better.

I miss my NAD's. Specifically, a NAD 1155 pre-amp and a NAD 2155 power amp. I used them to drive, of all things, a pair of Wharfedale Diamond III's with a modified Philips CD player, and latterly a Pioneer laser disk player as the sources. I still rue the day I sold them and bought a Kenwood A/V receiver instead. Sure, the Kenwood had a lot more power and was more flexible and had the Dolby processing built in and watching movies rocked, but it just wan't the same for listening to music. One day I shall have a 1155/2155 set again, although maybe with two 2155's to bi-amp some speakers. One day.

I know what you mean, you get some speakers that just are warm and enticing, it appears that the ampex ones are just like that. Some speakers make you think the singer/band are right in frot of you. Is that how they make you feel?

Exactly. These are "near-field" monitors, meant to be used up close.

Now please don't laugh, my stereo system consists of a OnkyoTX-SR304(:roll: AV Reciever, two Polk Audio Towers, Sony center and surround speakers and a Aiwa Subwoofer. It sounds really good. Eventually I would like to go with a Orb audio speaker system, but do not have the cash right now, they are more expensive than Bose and sound much better.

If it sounds good to you, it is good.

Talk about rueing the day; I have sold off a lot of gear that subsequently went classic, and today, even allowing for inflation, is worth much more than what I sold it for. Does anybody recall the U-47 microphone?

I have two; a Magnavox console stereo from about 1960 (all glow-in-the-dark technology :roll: ), and a Technics head unit that was given to me broken. I repaired the Technics a few times for bad solder joints, blown dial lamps, and even a open transformer primary (thank goodness the other 120 volt winding was still available). I daresay the Magnavox has probably needed considerably fewer repairs, since I only sprung for a new set of output tubes. My folks gave me an original LP of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (I'm a big Beatles fan), and happily, the Magnavox can play it. Come to think of it, I think they have an LP of their white album too; I should ask if they can find it since they are coming over for the weekend.

Ive got 2 ears, and theyre the best sound receivers of all..... Had a goldring lenco deck, with fully variable speed, wkd ! I could speed up the cure, and slow down jean michel jarre... also a hafler system for recreating quad eg family- music in a dolls house. Better than sergeant pepper in my opinion !

• 3 weeks later...

I know very little about today's stereo equipment. I am no longer working virtual and I am back in my office full time. I have a small work area at my desk but I love to listen to the radio, CDs, and cassettes. What is the best and most compact sound system that would meet my needs? I've heard about the Bose sound system but I don't know anyone who has one. I do appreciate the information. Thanks.

How much do you want to spend? :thumbsup:

I know very little about today's stereo equipment. I am no longer working virtual and I am back in my office full time. I have a small work area at my desk but I love to listen to the radio, CDs, and cassettes. What is the best and most compact sound system that would meet my needs? I've heard about the Bose sound system but I don't know anyone who has one. I do appreciate the information. Thanks.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

• 1 month later...

My system consists of a 1990 Onkyo TX-890 receiver, Dual turntable, Polk Audio RTA-15 tower speakers and a MacIntosh MC-2500 power amp (bought used in 1993). Not to mention several cassette decks and CD player as well as a Sony DVD recorder. That Mac is a workhorse amp - weighs 129 pounds and adds beef to the sound. All I need now is a subwoofer for my NYC subway recordings.

Black 5-inch stilettos - the only way to go!