HELP! New wannabe heel wearer!

djblini

i am male (never of guessed) and really wanna try on a pair of 5 inch black stilettos because they look so elegant. I am straight, just kind of curious i guess but would love to go into a shop and try some on, possibly buy. Anyone know any understanding shops in london where i could do this? Secondly, will i find it hard/impossible to walk in them? how do i learn??? Please help! p.s. its so nice to find a forum dedecated to like-minded people!

Welcome to HHplace! If you have never worn heels before you might want to consider starting with something that has more of a block heel or a wedge. They are more stable and you will have a better time getting the feel of them at first. Then you can go on to stilettos. Also, start out rather moderate on the height -- don't slip on a pair of 6-inchers right at the start. Try 3 or 4-inchers instead, get accustomed to them, then work your way up if you want to. As far as shoe-shops, there are lots of other members far more qualified to offer good suggestions. Explore the site -- you will get to know a bunch of interesting people and there is a lot good advice for beginners already here.

Have a happy time!

First WELCOME to the forum!

As to 5" stilettos ... Quality work takes time and 5" stilettos takes practice.

Start with a 3" block heel then a 4" stiletto and finally a 5" stiletto. Take your time and get comfortable with each height.

I also think that boots are easier than pumps.

Enjoy your heels.

:roll:

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

[note to the mods, i did post this in the male section, but id also like a female opinion, so please let me off for the duplication. PLEASE!!!] basically i have never worn stilletos b4 but really want to build up to 5inch advice, tips, pointers on how to walk in them properly etc would be very helpful! As would a list of shops where i can be helped rather than laughed at! Many thanks

It depends on how much practice you put in and how quickly your ankle and calf muscles get used to the new height. Work at it until you are comfortable at each height and walking becomes easy and natural. I would expect a week at each height. It is worth the effort to do it right. Jumping right into 5" stilettos is a great way to be discouraged and maybe even getting hurt.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

thanks, cant believe how helpful this forum is! so when i get my 31/2 inch pumps or block heels and put them on, wots the correct way to walk in them to get max elegance from them? is there anything i can do to build my ankles while i pluck up the courage to buy them?

thanks, cant believe how helpful this forum is!

so when i get my 31/2 inch pumps or block heels and put them on, wots the correct way to walk in them to get max elegance from them?

is there anything i can do to build my ankles while i pluck up the courage to buy them?

djblini...

Wear your high heels every day and walk aroung in them as long as you can. Walk around your house, work around your house in your high heels, or what ever you enjoy doing around the house. This will not only "break them in," but you will get more comfortable wearing them and getting used to them so it will become second nature.

Like everyone else has said, take it slowly, a little every day, and above all, enjoy every minute of your time in high heels.

Good luck to you.

To answer your original question, you can go into just about any shop in Oxford Street or Camden and the shop staff will even assume that they're for you, especially if you're asking for 8s or 9s. If you need a cover story you can say that you're going to a fancy dress party etc. If you're talking about the "vertiginous heels" that all the ladies are wearing they do a very nice pair in Faith that I found very comfortable and surprisingly easy to walk in and might not be too difficult for a first timer but be careful. BTW, if you need someone to show you around just ay so and I can meet up.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

How to walk in heels …

The goal is to do it naturally. Here are a couple of thoughts:

• Your toes should be pointed in the direction you are walking.

• Don’t land hard on the heel, rather land gently on the heel and let the sole land before you transfer weight to the foot or let the sole and heel land together. This has to be a natural movement so practice.

• Make sure you can land your foot with your knees straight. As the height of the heel increases, your ankle has to work at a steeper angle. At some point you hit your physical limit on how far the ankle will bend and you start compensating by bending your knee. My limit is 5½“. Part of going up in small increments is finding that limit.

Enjoy your heels.

:roll:

Hello ,

I agree with Roniheels , the more you walk to more you’ll get use to . My opinion is you can start with 9cm to 10cm ( lazy to translate in inches , sorry) , if you take lower and you enjoy wearing soon you’ll have the desire to get higher and then you’ll need to buy other pairs , just depending how many shoes you want to get , but be carrefull you become addict easily …

Last time I shopped in London it was in an ALDO boutique , just come in and say can I try those in my size please , and you’ll see the lady will help you without problem , the only thing I had to try them in the shop mixed with other customers , but quickly you discover there is no problem at all .

Let me give you an advise , if you don’t want to try them in public , just tell the lady it is for you and ask if they have a private place you can go , sometime they let you go in the stock room behind , it had happened several times to me , they do understand . Or if you really want to check their understanding , just give them a call before going and ask if you can try discreetly , if they say yes just present to the shop and ask for the lady you had on the phone and have your try . If they say no it is impossible , then find another shop .

I always had nice experiences when trying in a shop .Maybe be I was lucky who knows ? If you do it with a nice smile , it should be no problem .

The only thing I can say is that you’ll always remember this first day , so go for it and enjoy .

Don’t forget then to tell us your little history .

Bon courage .

Ibl70