Any tips or tricks to try on heels unnoticed in shops?

JH

Does anyone have any tips or tricks to try on heels in shoe shops unnoticed? Because last time I was in a big shoe store with very few people (1 or 2) and 3 sales ladies. And one of sales ladies was looking weird because I was looking at the women's shoes. :lol: So every time I wanted to try a shoe on, she followed me quite close, so I didn't had the chance to try some on. I find this very annoying, because I'm not out of the closet yet. Greetz

That's too bad JH. I usually call ahead to shops that I would like to check out unless it's like payless or something. If I go to payless, I usually go there when they're not busy. Sometimes I ask the sales ladies to give me a heads up if anyone starts heading towards the aisle I'm on. They have always been very accomodating. Most of the fetish/lingerie shops I call encourage me to come in and try on any heels that I would like and will help you out by putting you and the shoes you want to try on in a dressing room if you want more privacy. If anyone comes in while you are there, just ask them to let you know when the coast is clear. Hope this helps. It sounds like the sales lady that was watching you was just plain weird. I find that if I'm up front with them, they are usually more helpful. of course, you can tell which ones are cool and which ones aren't within' a minute or two of talking to them.

Well sweetie, if you go to Payless Shoes what you can do is take a pair of Men shoes then go to women section and try the shoes you want, but you have to be carefull there is not much customer. I usually go a certain time when everbody is at work or a place where doesnt get crowded. xoxoxoxo. Sweet Tahira

Problem is: in Europe we don't have payless :lol: But we have Brantano, but it's not that big. But I have tried that, taking women shoes to the men's department. Problem is that the sales ladies get quite suspicious here if you look in the ladies' department. So you can't enjoy trying on the heels because you always have to watch your back for those "evil" sales ladies.

Assuming that you are talking about a self service shoe store where everything is sitting out in boxes and you wait on yourself, then the best suggestion I have is to just look like you know what you are doing. Find a shoe in your size and try it on like you do this all the time. If a store full of customers and clerks bothers you, then you might want to go when the store is not busy. You can always stand around looking like a bored husband or boyfriend who has wandered off on his own while the woman looks elsewhere until you see what you want. If the aisle has someone else in it and that makes you uncomfortable then just wait until the aisle is clear. To date, over the past three years, I have tried on and bought shoes in self service stores without so much as peep out of anyone, whether the store was busy or not. I have used empty aisles and gone to the end of aisles if I felt uncomfortable for any reason (usually because there was no where but the floor to sit down and try on shoes, and I fear that I would not be very graceful getting up and down) and I have tried on shoes next to women customers doing the same and been confomfortable doing it. But, most of all be civil, look like you know what you are doing, and don't make a production out of it. Just get the shoes and try them on and if they don't fit put them back in the box as you found them, and move on. If they fit, buy them.

Go gently through life.

Just stop acting paranoid, don't raise suspicion by taking shoes around through the store. Just get in, browse the racks and try on the spot, act as you would do when buying men's shoes. If a lady wants to help, allow her to help or just tell her you're browsing. I know lots of guy's from different countries doing it that way and Brantano is one of the most friendly places around to try on feminine footwear. Be a man, show some courage, your money is as good as any other's customer. Greetings from Highluc to all the guys with guts.

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

No need for any hidden stuff or awkward procedures. Just walk right in there and try them on the same way as you would men's shoes. If you need assistance ask them if they have this style in size x/y/z. Shop people in England never have any problem. They love to sell shoes to me and women assistants are especially helpful. I think it's best to choose a time when the store is crowded. Then you sit dowm among the ladies trying shoes on and yet more people get the idea it's actually no big deal.

I agree with FireFox and Higluc , I forgot to tell you that one time I was in a particular boutique where they sell Fetish clothes and Shoes ( Lust and Lace ). They had a website before and used to sell sexy shoes, but I wanted to go personally, I asked for help looking for some nice stilletto, the salesperson who was very friendly asked me what size I wear. She knew because of course my eyes were stearing to those gorgeous shoes, well I told her that I am size 12 and she searched back in the room. Nobody was there at that time and she pulled some nice shoes and she told me to sit and relaxed, she gently slip some nice knee stockings and pull the shoes out of the box and slip into my feet. I was really nervous but at the same time the reaction was great. The shoes look great on me and she asked me if I was satisfied. I thanked her for helping me and I bought the shoes. Sometimes buyins sexy stuff in a boutique are very friendly, they help you a lot and if much better in Europe I bet. xoxoxoxo Sweet Tahira.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks to try on heels in shoe shops unnoticed?

Well, I agree with most guys' opinion - no tricks! That is: act normal - just like you were making a selection or purchase at any store.

But if you really want to be unnoticed, here's what you can try. Here we have shops that have shelves for ladies and men shoes really close - so you can take a pair of men's shoes, sit down and try to put them on. But it the air is clear, you can grab your fav ladies shoes and try them on.

Since we don't have any female footwear for my size and my girlfriend is fond of highheels too, I usually go around shops ad look closely at any kind of footwear I like - just like I was choosing a present for my girl. Nobody ever looks weird about that!

But again: I think it is kind of exciting to try on highheel shoes in a store so that noone notices :lol:

HH forever!

...Or your sister is the same size and you're buying her a present. (Doesn't work with size 12UK though!).

That'd be a big sister!

But yeah, I just say that they're for me, and no-one minds. As has been said elsewhere, you're paying for them, your money is as good as anyone's, and you should get the same service as anyone else.

The key to the whole thing is confidence. Once you can fake that, you're sorted :lol:

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

The key to the whole thing is confidence. Once you can fake that, you're sorted

Confidence does not have to be faked, you have to build it up yourself. It's not that hard and soon you will be wandering why you made a problem of such a small thing in life.

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

I agree with the guys. People get suspicous of you, not because you are browsing for women's shoes (Trust me, they have seen it before), but because you do weird stuff, like moving the shoes around, or looking all over the place to see if someone sees you. The more normal you act the better. I have actually had sales people come and ask me if I want to try on any of the shoes, when I browse at the women's shoes. One thing that works in getting this reaction is to wear some not too extreme women's shoes, liek a pair of loafers with a 2 inch heel. Most people won't notice anything unusual about it, but store staff will spot the women's shoe and know you are buying ...

When we are nervous, we have a tendency to act abnormal. And that attracts attention from people who's job is to look for those kinds of actions since most amateur shoplifters act the same way. Probably the best advice I can give you is to shop at a store far enough away from home and work where you can be pretty safe you won't encounter anyone you know. Then forget about who's watching you, and just try them on. If you still have a problem with this, then I would suggest try shopping at a fetish or leather store where you will find people who are much more open-minded.

click .... click .... click .... The sensual sound of stiletto heels on a hard surface.

If you build confidence wearing high heels in public first it makes it much easier for you to try heels on in a store. Be concretive in what you would wear like wearing a chunky heel boot or loafer style with something like a 3" heel. I would not suggest wearing a stiletto. :lol: If you come in wearing heels then, you may get some looks but is makes a statement that you are not hide any thing. Present you self to the sales person with a smile and confidence that will keep them moving on getting you the product for you to try on. Also if going in numbers gives you strength. If you have a wife/GF or friends who supports you, it makes it all the easer.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

Of course the advice to "just do it," is best. I hadn't thought about looking like a shoplifter before, but not that you mention it... My first method is to buy them and try them on later and return them if needed, but that doesn't address the original question. Some take men's shoes into the women's department, I do the opposite. I grab a pair or two of men's and a pair of women's, then go try them on in the men's section, keeping the men's in front of me on the floor. At least it helps me to feel inconspicuous :lol:

If you are in the USA try a Nordstroms, they have the best sales staff of any department store. I always try to find a Lady to help, it makes a difference to me. The last time was about 6 weeks ago when I bought a pair of calf boots. The lady could not have been more help full. I do not know how many pairs of womens shoes she had sold to men but she seemed to know her business and easily put me at ease. -- Brandy

Hi JH, I used to get pretty paranoid too but now I just walk in the shop and behave normally. OK I try not to go in e.g. "boutique" selling only ladies shoes especially if they have (middle-aged) customers in. I go mostly to high street shops or discount shops. I never encountered any problem and sales people have always be helpful. I recommend to wear heels when going in the shop. I must say that being a member of this board (and the old one) has helped to build my confidence tremendously. I now know that a lot of guys enjoy wearing heels and do it openly. So do it ! Vanessa

I agree that for us trying on shoes is a Major Buzz but for other people just another transaction. Think about it! If you saw a girl being sneaky about trying on mens stuff, wouldn't you think she was a little strange?

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

• 4 weeks later...

Today I reckoned I give it a try and see if I can get any local boots for myself. Incouraged my some of You guys, who can manage wearing some boots a size smaller, - I went to a local shoestore with footwear only for women. I looked around and since there were only a couple of mature foreign lady customers, I felt comfortable and asked the saleslady if I could try on some women's boots. She (a Russian woman) said "Yes, of course". So I picked up the largest size they had (42) and tried on some modest heeled boots - almost umisex. Since it felt OK, I tried on some pairs with higher block heel, maybe 2-3 inches. They didn't fit, but I got to talk to the saleslady again. She was very helpful. My excuse was: "My wife wants me to wear beautiful and elegant boots, not like my male ones are" pointing down at my robust work-look boots. She said she understood but asked if I had already tried the male department. I told her that I havd seen everything, but female boots are much more pretty and comfy... Since then I have much more courage to go shopping wherever I like. Had there been boots for my sixe, I would definitely bought a pair, but still a nice experience. So I recommend you all secret ones - if you really want good boots, consult the salespeople - it pays off! But if you only want excitement - go ahead and do it secretly!

HH forever!

Trying shoes on unnoticed? Jeez! Where's the fun in that? :-D I don't bother with trying to be covert in a shoe store, for one, it's virtually impossible to do, if you're not being noticed by customers, then by salespersons. And the attempt might draw suspicion that you're trying to steal something. So, if you ask me, the only way to go is to be open about it. Perhaps I'm being simplistic, but it's really no big deal, shoes are shoes are shoes, what should you care if someone notices you, it's none of their business anyway. If you're calm, cool and casual about what you;re doing, just like every other customer, it's a breeze! This goes for any newbie reading these words of wit(?), just go out there and do it!!!!!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Actually, I find that asking for help generally works well. Most of the assistants I've encountered have been really happy to help. In fact, in one shop I was buying a pair, and the assistant and I ended up chatting for quite some time. She also said she liked the pair I was taking off to change into the new pair. So - why hide? I must admit, I tend to go shopping when the shops are a bit quieter, so that I can have a good browse without tripping over people. Otherwise, go to it, and good luck!

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

A great tip I have is to try your local Asda store, the George department, you can pretend you are doing your normal weekly shop and slip into a nice pair of 3"s quite easily. Further more most stores are 24hr if you get a bit nervous wait until the early hours.

A great tip I have is to try your local Asda store, the George department, you can pretend you are doing your normal weekly shop and slip into a nice pair of 3"s quite easily. Further more most stores are 24hr if you get a bit nervous wait until the early hours.

Staying up half the night to buy shoes?!? Isn't that an entry for 'You know you're an addict when...' :lol:

For me, I tend to shop in Asda anyway, so I'd leave that one. Plus they're also limited to about a UK7/UK8, and they don't do my kind of shoes. I think the Brantano experience is still worth it - you could always pretend you got left and right mixed up. Alternatively, TK MAXX has some top bargains, and the shoe section is all mixed together, so you can just wander around.