Bonsai Trees

I read a book on it once and they seemed quite difficult to grow. Like those tropical fish that die off if you make them 1 degree too cool. I could be wrong there though. I didn't actually realise you could keep them outside. I thought they were indoor creatures.

Bonsai trees can be found in most climates, both in and out of doors. I remember seeing one of an oak tree. The down side was that the leaves and acorns where of nearly normal size which sort of marred the whole effect, but a good effort of the behalf of the owner. From what I know of bonsai, it's more a case of knowing how and where to tie and trim. I could be wrong. As a crossover, I saw a garden railway in OO scale that utilised bonsai trees rather than the usual dwarf conifers that proliferate this type of railway and the effect was fantastic. An exhibition layout had a few on as well as running water! Real water! well I'm off. I still haven't tortured myself enough for my last post :smile:

Real Bonsais would be really cool for a model railway :smile: Anyway, most trees are better off outside afterall that's where they naturally grow. You can bring them in ocassionally for display but if you're going to keep it on top of the TV then that's a sure way to kill it. Amazing the number of people who do that. They need plenty of water and regular trimming with special tools.

This is a platform free shoe zone!

There are special scissors with wide handles, also different kinds of cutters such as ones which have a curved blade. You would use those for cutting off a branch at the trunk and you get a scooped out effect which looks more natural than just lopping it off. For some types of tree, such as Juniper, you need to snip off the ends of the folilage with your nails. <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Debbie(HK) on 2002-02-03 04:56 ]</font>

Yes Firefox, they are very expensive to buy. There is a great Bonsai nursery near Nottingham run by Harry Tomlinson (he is an expert in the field). We went for a visit a few years ago and some of the trees that I've got were selling for thousands!!

Hiya Deb, Did you ever see "Life of Brian" didn't Spike Milligan say "a miracle juniper beeries" or something to that effect. Yeah so these trees do have something of significance!! B) Inga :smile:

HEELS are POWER the HIGHER the BETTER.

ARTHUR : Master! Your people have walked many miles to be with you. They are weary and have not eaten. BRIAN : Look it's not my fault they haven't eaten ARTHUR : There is no food in the high mountain BRIAN : What about the Juniper Bushes over there CROWD : A miracle! A miracle! ELSIE : The bushes have been made fruitful by his word I have the full script here! :smile: Hey! I heard that! Who called me sad? B)

• 1 month later...

Cactus are usually pretty easy to look after as they don't need regular attention. Had to give my bonsai trees a good haircut at the weekend as they had really grown. Look much tidier now :smile: Debbie

Would overwatering kill a bonsai tree? I had one but it died after a few months. It seemed really brittle, so I watered it more frequently. After a few weeks it died. I'd like to get another one sometime. Is there a variety that is more hearty than others?

So many shoes, so little time...

• 2 weeks later...

Did you keep it inside your house? Most varieties are better kept outside for most if the time as they are actual trees. One sure way of killing one is keeping it somewhere warm - like on top of a tv set. Most need to be watered every day and a fine mist spray is good for them too. Better luck next time :smile: Debbie

Strange how people wearing the highest heels show intersts in the lowest trees, quite a contrast.

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence