Wedges and legs

LailaLily

ok...i like wedges alot...i was wondering if wedges..being the high height they are make the calves or leg seem "stickly or thin"...please say no:unsure:

because well....i have curvy legs...but it just makes me wonder if like wedges make you seem toothpicky like...because last summer i ordered 6" wedges and that thought always pondered my mind.

http://www.snaz75.com/ts-w-514.html

there are many photos on flickr(nice ones) but im too tired of copying and pasting photos for examples.

I have the same ones you posted in your first link and they are just like wearing 5" heels as they are 7" high and have a 2" platform. I agree with fastfreddy2 that wedge or not, they don't make a difference to leg shape.

Oh I see, you're just saying about it being more or less an optical illusion as opposed to the shape of the arch making your legs thinner. I have never thought of it like that, I have always just thought the higher you are the taller you look. I wear wedges a lot in the summer and never really have a problem with them making my legs look thin. If anything, I think having massive clumpy shoes makes your legs look thinner by comparison.

But wedges are surely just a stable version of any high heel? And likely then to have the same 'leg-enhancing' effect.

but the ones u posted have leg enhancing effects because the front is flat then the back is wedge like...the one i posted is all thick which i think probably takes away from the leg enhancing effect :D

We are talking about two effects, not one.

The elevation of the heel over the toe ["rise"] will tighten your calves and thigh muscles, slenderising them. [An Americanised word if ever there was one. :smile: ] This would certainly be the effect of wearing the wedge shoes I posted pictures of, because the heels have a significant rise in most of them....

Platforms [with or without wedge heels], may give the impression of an increased leg length for the wearer, due to the basic change in 'leg to body-width' ratio. [Walking on stilts being the ultimate, in leg length increases and 'leg to body-width' ratio changes.]

So, wearing shoes with 2" platforms and 7" heels will do two things; The 5" rise will tighten your leg muscles, and the 2" platform will add to the illusion of a longer leg.

I agree with fastfreddy2 that wedge or not, they don't make a difference to leg shape.

:roll:

Something got lost there .... 'Cos that's not what I was saying at all about wedges. :o Though platform shoes don't necessarily alter the actual leg shape, as Elton John would doubtless agree.... :-?

I was walking across a car park back to my hotel on holiday and didn't have time to strap up my ankle straps so just walked across the car park holding the straps kind of like stilts you can make with cans and string :roll:

Sorry to put a dampener on this thread, but am I the only one who thinks wedges are the ugliest shoes ever? :roll:

Depends on who wearing them.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

They can do. The only style of wedge I really like are sandal ones which I love to wear in the summer, or transparent mule ones in the bedroom. I am very fussy when it comes to wedges though, and think some look ugly, so I can see where you're coming from.

ok...i like wedges alot...i was wondering if wedges..being the high height they are make the calves or leg seem "stickly or thin"...please say no:unsure:

because well....i have curvy legs...but it just makes me wonder if like wedges make you seem toothpicky like...because last summer i ordered 6" wedges and that thought always pondered my mind.

http://www.snaz75.com/ts-w-514.html

there are many photos on flickr(nice ones) but im too tired of copying and pasting photos for examples.

Hiya Lialalily,

I love these kind of wedges and have two pairs of them. One pair is similar to the ones you posted in the first and thirsd tread, with cork soles. And then a second pair from pleaser in black.

I think they both look fantastic on and I wouldn't dear saying they change the leg into sticky..... as you say. Au contraire, they give the leg a smooth tall image.... have a look in the mirror and see for yourself

Hope this give you a little boost....

FL

FoxyLady

Hmmm.

Certainly, not everyone likes platforms .....

This going to turn into a "what we don't like" thread? :roll:

FF2 - you say above you like wedges; I say I don't. You're opinion is allowed - mine isn't? (Where did platforms come into this?). I did start my post with an apology.........should I have started a new thread (seemed hardly worth it)?

I just don't care for wedges. I have tried them on and walked in them, buy I simply would rather wear a high heeled shoe with emphasis on high heel. Again. I respect everyone's preferences.

I did start my post with an apology.........should I have started a new thread (seemed hardly worth it)?

Why apologise? Because you knew you were going to say something that was probably unwelcome. You guessed right, it was. :roll:

And yes, you might have followed Roz's lead, and started a new thread if you were going offtopic. Or added your remarks to the 'Worst Shoe' thread?

Why apologise? Because you knew you were going to say something that was probably unwelcome. You guessed right, it was. :roll:

And yes, you might have followed Roz's lead, and started a new thread if you were going offtopic. Or added your remarks to the 'Worst Shoe' thread?

The apology was hopefully to head off reactions like yours, but...........

There are other posts in this thread that have absolutely nothing to do with the thread title, but...........

And how is a comment about wedges going off-topic?

Was just expressing my opinion and of course I do respect yours re: wedges. Have enjoyed your posts (but reserve on reactions) :o

And how is a comment about wedges going off-topic?

Was just expressing my opinion and of course I do respect yours re: wedges. Have enjoyed your posts (but reserve on reactions) :D

I don't know what "reserve on reactions" means? :roll:

I won't address this again here on thread (because it's a pointless activity), but I'll respond to your query. Any further discussion should go to PM's if there's anything left to address.

I thought the thread was about the effect of wedges on the shape of the leg. Unless I completely misunderstand what is meant by 'on thread', including the word 'wedges' didn't make it an open topic discussion about wedge heeled shoes. Perhaps I'm mistaken?

Certainly, if I had started a thread to debate whether wedges were suitable for me, I'd have been quite 'ticked off' if the only contribution someone made, was that they thought wedges were really unattractive? How does that help me, or contribute to the thread? [i'm not assuming the thread starter was ticked off by your comment, I just thought it was inappropriate here. It just didn't seem to be pertinent to the thread.]

I respect your views too. I don't at all mind if you don't like wedges. But I don't think the remark should have been included here. If you feel strongly about it, I don't know why you wouldn't start a whole new thread about it. Though there is already another thread created for this very subject. [ugly shoes.]

:o:-?

whoa whoa whoa hold the phone i dont mind if someone doesnt like wedges....there are many types of shoes i really dont like and dread seeing...BUT it would be only proper if u contributed abit more then "i dont like them"....if u dont like them at least tell us what type of a leg enhancing effect it has on a person? ohh other question.......where do u guys and gals walk with them and how complicated is it? because soo far i've walked with them around the house....carpet and hardfloor.....its not bad....but when u go out, its a different story.......sooo what do u think?

I've got quite a lot of different styles of wedges, and for each one it varies where I would wear them. The first attachment is of a style I would wear out and about on a summer's day, say, to the park or something. I normally wear high heeled sandals or flipflops but probably 1 time out of 10 I would wear these. The second I would probably wear to the beach or something. I went on a walk around the marina where I live the other day in these - they're a lot higher platform than I would normally wear but they looked great (IMHO) with a flowy short white skirt and white top. Very summery and something good to wear along the boardwalk :roll: Picture 3 is something I would wear on a night out for a change from the usual heels. Again strictly a summer shoe. Picture 4 is the same (or at least very similar) to the one you linked Laila and this one for me would be confined to the bedroom. I think they're wonderful shoes, but my rule of thumb is that I don't wear transparent mules out and about. The height is too high for me to wear out and about. Just too OTT for me to wear outside in a normal situation. Just my opinion though.

post-11189-133522857963_thumb.jpg

post-11189-133522857965_thumb.jpg

post-11189-133522857967_thumb.jpg

post-11189-133522857969_thumb.jpg