Pumps

Which footwear do you wear in public  

594 members have voted

1. 1. Which footwear do you wear in public

• Boots
    • Pumps
    • Sandals
    • Wedges

I'd take a guess that his wife doesn't like the thought of him wearing women's shoes, regardless of how they look. I don't think it's difficult to imagine a wife not being happy about her husband wanting to wear panties, stockings, etc, even though compared with heels, one could make the case that they are much less visible to anyone else.

We should try an experiment. Have a women's high heel shoe that has a men's style look to it re-labeled as a mens shoe with a mens size on it. See if she has any problems with you wearing it then. I bet she doesn't proving she is hung up on who the shoe is marketed to, not who can wear it.

• 4 weeks later...

I think you are all correct. In talking with my wife, who is skeptical, but supportive, the issue is that they are "women's" shoes. If they were on the shelf, or in the magazine as mens, she would be fine I am sure. It is silly ! at best

For subtle easy streetheeling I like 2 to 3 1/2 inch thicker heels usually worn with jeans. Comfortable and easy to walk in, but still feel like heels and give that heels posture and walk.

1st choice would be wooden or soft bottomed classic clogs. Wood bottoms, especially, for the almost high heel type sound when walking on hard surfaces. The soft bottoms (Dansko type) are more comfortable for lots of walking. Bright colors can make clogs look more fem, darker color more manly-works with my 2nd and 3rd choices, too.

2nd choice would be western style mules. Look great with jeans and have a high heel feel and look with a 2 inch or higher heel and pointed toe box. The western style makes them look fine on guys, and in fact custom western boot makers make them for men up to large men's sizes, if needed.

http://caboots.zoovy.com/category/12x/

3rd choice would be either cowboy/girl western boots or classic Frye/biker style boots, especially in cooler weather and worn with thin nylon women's' "trouser" socks, under jeans.

post-1585-133522874747_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I think you are all correct. In talking with my wife, who is skeptical, but supportive, the issue is that they are "women's" shoes. If they were on the shelf, or in the magazine as mens, she would be fine I am sure. It is silly ! at best

That's pretty much the same argument I got. Even though most of the heels I was wearing out in public were black boots with 2-3 inch block heels, because they were from the "womens" rack and were knee high we had an issue. Under slacks they were discreet unless someone looked close. Still, she can't get over it, passing judgement based upon the seller's gender assignment of them rather than how they looked.

"It's just a flesh wound"

Confrontational isn't necessarily the best approach, but you might want to look at the shoes in this thread:

http://www.hhplace.org/discuss/shoe_wholesale_retail_internet_stores/12473-fluevog_com.html

There are two different designers mentioned that sell men's ankle boots with ~ 2 1/2" heels. They are pricey ($350+), but if your wife wants men's shoes, these would fit the bill. Your wife might realize that $50 shoes from the women's section may not be that bad after all.

Excellent point White44. When she sees the difference in pricing, she may decide that it really doesn't make any difference who the shoes are made for, but really would make a great difference in the pocketbook situation. Especially when she takes note that nobody really cares whether he wears heels out in public or not. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

I havn't posted for a long time, but I still enjoy wearing my 3 1/2" heel Wester Ranch Cowboy boots. I have already had to have them re-soled once due to how many miles they have on them. Great boots, and I havn't had the $$ to have a new pair made by another custom shop, as Western Ranch is no longer around. Glad to see lots on new people, and quite a few seasoned veterans as well, Thanks TLAHHB

I prefer boots to any other kind of heels. I just recently found some round toed shoes from enigma, 2 pairs to be exact. One a Mary Jane, the other a pump with an ankle strap. I plan to wear those over the summer since boots right now are perfect with this cold weather. brrrrrrrrr.:thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Depends on where I am and the weather. I've gone sight-seeing mainly in boots, as it attracts the least attention. A couple of times I've gone out in simple sandals (heeled), but usually on occasions where off-the-wall behavior wasn't abnormal (New Years, Mardis Gras, etc.)

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.

• 3 weeks later...

HAd to work on Saturday. Decided to wear my 3" heel boots to the office, as I knew no one else would be in at 8:00 AM. I have to park about 2 blocks from the office. I very much enjoyed that 2 block walk in heels, and up the elevator and around the office for a while. It was one of my first ventures in public during the daytime in what would be considered obvious womens heels. While not spiked, they are tapered enough that no one would take them for mens shoes, so it was a challenge for me, and one which I passed with flying colors!

So, did you take them off when someone else arrived at your office or did you wear them for the rest of the day?

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I normally wear sandals, thats mostly what I have and love to wear the most. My favorites are Guess hunk in tan they have a 4 inch wedge heel and look great with jeans.:winkiss:

Bubba, I did take them off. In the office I work in, it would not be considered cool I'm sure. And as I indicated, these boots, while certainly not a stiletto heel, would never be taken for men footwear, as the heels is a bit too tapered. If I had the stones, I should have just kept them on when I went to the Nine West store. But alas....

One day i'll got out with whatever shoes I'd like to wear; however, since I'm really just beginning to experience streetheeling, i'll keep my boots on. I feel I have more stability in them, and for the moment I feel more confident in them.