Pumps

Which footwear do you wear in public  

594 members have voted

1. 1. Which footwear do you wear in public

• Boots
    • Pumps
    • Sandals
    • Wedges

I didn't ping you on forgetting the link.. I make this mistake myself more often than not. LOL

Here's a link to what looks like the actual manufacturer's website:

http://tinyurl.com/26jdxmh

This is the one that claims the heel height is 3.5". The pictures on both websites seem to confirm this as the heel height is obviously higher than 2 3/4". It's also my guess that this information is more reliable as it's the actual maker's website from what I can tell? The sole appears to be manmade and the heel seems to be wooden. I'll know when I get them which I hope is soon as I love the style of this boot!

Charlie

Everything I say is a lie!.......I'm lying

They just came in today. They look great. I got them in brown. I'll be trying them on when I get back in the house from my workshop. My boot jack is in the house and I can't get my 4" heeled western boots I'm wearing right now off without it. LOL I'll keep you posted. Charlie

They're size 11 U.S. which is my size but they're a tad tight. Nothing that the boot strecher can't fix. They look great on me. The sole is actually leather and the heel is wood. The only thing I really don't like about them is they have one of those hard rubber heel pads that makes that fem click when I walk on concrete. My neighborhood is quiet and when I walked across my driveway it sounded like I could be heard a mile away. I'll replace the pads with softer rubber ones and they'll be fine. If you like the click, you'll love how these boots come right out of the box! Charlie

• 2 weeks later...

Apart from the men's 'beatle boots' in my avatar (2.25" cuban heel), which hardly count, I have been out a few times in these new boots: http://www.hhplace.org/attachments/high_heels_wanted/11288d1289675091-block_chunky_heels_size_11_12-cowboy_1.jpg They have a 2.75" slim block heel, are very comfortable and look discreet when worn under normal length jeans. They are not noisy either - I have noisier men's shoes. I wore them when supermarket shopping the other day and was interested (and, let's be honest, a tad apprehensive) to see whether there would be any reaction.

I tried to walk around normally but I'm sure the heels were reasonably visible to anyone looking down - the more so when I was crouching at a low shelf, when the shafts too would be partially visible. If anyone noticed, I was not aware of any reaction. But when I came outside and walked past the large plate glass window, I saw a clear reflection of my legs and feet and the heels were (to me) quite prominent - but that in itself was rather satisfying as I felt I had achieved something! A woman shopper who had come out just behind me did glance back as our paths diverged and gave me what might have been a curious look, albeit not unpleasantly. Maybe she just fancied me - alas, I can't say I felt the same. :)

I'm quite sure that a plain ankle boot or loafer with a heel like this of, say, 2.5 - 3.25" in height can be worn almost anywhere with impunity. After all, the shoe style is masculine in origin even if the heel is higher and a little slimmer than is conventional for a man.

...I'm quite sure that a plain ankle boot or loafer with a heel like this of, say, 2.5 - 3.25" in height can be worn almost anywhere with impunity...

Absolutely. Shoes (or boots) like this: that height chunky/block heel; dark/black non-shiny material; no obvious frills - are a perfect training show if your want to walk "in heels", and not attract much/any attention.

I either wear the boots as shown on the attachment, or a pair of pumps, the two shown are my favs as they are quite discreet when worn with long jeans. I just had to get some new 34inch leg jeans as most of my old ones were getting a bit short and showing what footwear I had on!

post-29035-133522932852_thumb.jpg

post-29035-133522932857_thumb.jpg

post-29035-133522932859_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Back in January, I reported at http://www.hhplace.org/guys/18800-ideas_help_transition_public_heeling-3.html#post267231 my first public outings in new cowboy boots, as currently shown as my avatar. As these were not only comfortable but also discreet, I felt inspired to go a little further with my footwear choices when opportunity arose – not always easy when one is 6’ 1.5” and with UK11 feet.

However, I soon found some acceptable black ankle boots at Evans, as described at http://www.hhplace.org/guys/15856-who_has_bought_some_new_boots-69.html#post267909 These have a tapered 3.5” Cuban heel but, although sold as UK11EEE, are somewhat undersized in length. I tried them out briefly after dark and they were OK – easy enough to walk in but a little tight in the toes. Being faux suede, they are fairly soft, but not obviously susceptible to much stretching.

My main concern with the Evans boots is that the height and shape of the heel is just ‘extreme’ enough (by my modest standards!) to attract attention and some subterfuge is necessary for daylight wear in public. The obvious answer is to wear them with bootcut jeans that are long enough to cover much of the heel – not a fashion I particularly like (nice footwear ought to be properly revealed!) but certainly appropriate. It was not difficult to find some suitable long-leg jeans (in Primark), which did in fact require a little shortening to give the right effect. The next step, quite literally, was to try out the ensemble.

A couple of weeks ago, I took the plunge and went out at lunchtime in the local park for a 15 minute stroll. There were relatively few people around and I was comfortable enough both physically and mentally – but it was handy to be able to step into the grassed areas if I wanted to conceal the sight or sound of my heels. The real challenge, however, remained: to behave normally in a busy public place – which others here have, with justification, often advocated as the best (and safest) street-heeling option.

I decided that any local foray would be better avoided for the time being but yesterday provided an opportunity to street-heel away from home. I had occasion to visit Croydon – for those unfamiliar with it, a large and quite diverse southern suburb of London. I wore the same grey bootcut jeans, a white shirt with a feint check pattern and a black leather blazer. After parking my car in a quiet side-street and making the purchase nearby that prompted my visit, I returned to the car to change into the boots and then walked to the bus stop for the short ride into the town centre. I stood downstairs in the bus and my heels remained covered. On arrival in the centre, I walked around the shopping area for about half an hour, but also took the opportunity to check out the Priceless Shoes shop. (I wanted to examine some other suede ankle boots, advertised as being available up to UK11. They looked OK, with a very acceptable straight 4” heel, but are scarcely taller than ordinary shoes and have a rather bulbous round toe, so I was not inclined to buy them even if my size was in stock.)

When walking back to the bus stop, I realised that my toes were beginning to hurt and I could not walk as briskly or comfortably as I wished. It was fortunate that, like many window shoppers, I could stroll along and thus not attract undue attention. Nevertheless, I think I was ‘sussed’ by a couple of women, whose glances were rather telling. But I really didn’t care; I had done exactly what I had long wished to do and had survived the experience without making a fool of myself or doing anything unlawful. I was quite happy to go upstairs in the bus and glad to sit down for ten minutes before walking rather awkwardly back to my car!

My sore toes were a small price to pay but I must do something about that before making another expedition. If I cannot ease the boots into a better fit, thicker socks might be the answer. Meanwhile, my avatar boots (very comfortable) will get some more outings. Ironically, Priceless footwear is generally true-to-size and the other boots I saw there would quite possibly prove more comfortable – maybe I should have tried them. But I’m not sure whether I could truly manage a 4” (or higher) heel; I guess it will be a case of trial and error.

I just come back home from breakfast and some grocery shopping while wearing these boots. If anyone gave a seond look, I just don't know (and care about).

I had a few smiles from a few girls even if the heel was hidden under my jeans. I suppose my walking wasn't exactly masculine!

I'm going to use more often!

http://www.hhplace.org/attachments/guys/14231d1318164387-who_has_bought_some_new_boots-dscn0879.jpg

They are 3 inches. I like the idea of the heel showing a little. Anyway, I think that a black heel is harder to see but much more feminine. so, i prefer people to see a little of a wooden heel, that is "allowed" for men too, rather than a black heel that would clearly indicate that I'm wearing women's shoes.

• 1 month later...

An update is due to mine above at #195: http://www.hhplace.org/guys/10503-streetheeling_what_footwear-20.html#post290682

I have been spending a little time away from home recently working on another property I own. This is in a quiet town and it is easy to go for an evening walk without being either too solitary or too conspicuous - just right for some discreet street-heeling.

I found that I could stretch the faux suede fabric of the Evans boots a little to ease the toebox and, on a second wearing in public for half an hour or so, I found them much more comfortable and was also more at ease in my gait. Although the plastic heel tip is quite hard and a little more noisy than I would wish (especially in a quiet street), the boots do not look obvious when worn with bootcut jeans. Inspired by this, I wore them during a supermarket shopping trip, which involved some bending down and riding up an escalator - both situations likely to reveal the heel to an observer. I expect I was spotted, but I felt fine and relaxed. The worst moment was walking back across the car park with a couple of bags of groceries, trying to walk normally and inconspicuously when not 'balanced' quite as I would normally be in flattish shoes.

A couple of weeks ago, Priceless Shoes was offering a 20% discount and I decided that the Sherbert shoe-boots I had previously inspected (see picture below) should not be resisted any longer at £16 net, particularly as the size seemed to run true according to this thread: http://www.hhplace.org/guys/20656-new_block_heel_ankle_boots.html#post290553 I was lucky to get them in a UK11 as that size is now out of stock. I was pleased to find that they are indeed a good fit for both length and width and the material (black faux suede again) is fairly thin and forgiving. The straight heel is exactly 4” and stable. I would have preferred a higher ankle boot with a more pointed and less bulbous toe but the overall look is discreet and acceptable under longish jeans.

The Sherberts had the first ‘after dark round the block’ outing ten days ago and were good to walk in. Although half-an-inch higher than the Evans boots, they are comfortable and a little quieter. I have not yet worn them in a busy well-lit place but will probably do so shortly – they are less ‘masculine’ than the Evans cowboy-style boots and I would expect to excite a certain amount of curiosity when they are spotted, as I’m sure they will be. But I don’t really care what anyone (apart from a friend or relation) thinks; I am simply minding my own business as they should be.

My avatar boots have not been forgotten either and were worn regularly when I went out for an evening meal whilst away and also for some Saturday shopping from home. They are to my mind very acceptable for normal male street-wear, although my wife does not really agree and I still have to wear them out in her company. (Needless to say, she knows nothing of the other two pairs of boots and her reaction to them would be hostile – or worse.)

So, some more progress made and further confidence gained. I feel OK in heels like these and I just wish that the general public's perception was in line with mine. We can but hope ... :smile:

post-1227-133522961729_thumb.jpg

I always wear my black thigh highs with 5" heels, but slip them under my long flared levis to subdue the heels somewhat. I wish I had the confidence to wear the boots over my jeans, but haven't reached that level yet, hopefully someday! I have to plan short walking trips to be sure I don't get to tired or sore. Usually take a drive in the car to a park, gas station, convenience store, then get out for a managable walk.... No one has made any comments to date....Don