Getting Your Feet Wet

amandahls

Hi Megan and Sangue, Firstly, I'd like to wish you (and the rest of the gang) a happy Easter weekend :unsure: Megan, thanks for the compliments hun, and it's funny you mention about that woman swimming cothed in a pool, as I had my pool cleaned and re-filled for the summer season just yesterday, and seeing as I didn't have to work today, I ran and jumped in it after work yesterday for the first time since it was drained for the winter at the end of last September. It felt SO nice! I had on a pair of black genuine leather 3" heel knee-length boots, 140d black tights, a very tight knee-length lined pencil skirt, a white short-sleeved satin blouse and black lined jacket to match the skirt, and cotton@lycra bra and panties set. Swimming in it felt simply amazing, especially after having that outfit on all day at work. Oh, and Megan, I too paint my toenails bright pink. A friend of mine sent me some nail polish from Boots in England. It's Boots' own 'No. 7' brand called 'Me! Me! Me!', colour code 250 in their 'Stay Perfect' range. She said they were £7. If you have a Boots store near you, I'd recommend you check it out. Anyway, look forward to hearing from you again soon. Regards, Sharon. xx

Hi Sharon (and all), I'd wondered whether your pool was in Germany or Cornwall. How wonderful that you've got it back! Which do you like the most: the moment of jumping, being in the water or being out of the water wet? I'm just feeling envious. I don't normally do my toes, because I don't show them so there doesn't seem much point. But it might be fun to look at someone and know my toes though they don't know. I'll look in Boots, though they're normally beyond my budget. My daughter gave up bacon for Lent (university bet rather than religiousness, but she kept it up so I'm quite impressed). Anyway, Sunday will be a bacon fest. When I'm finished she'll never want to eat bacon again. I like Easter and hope you all have a good one. Megan xx

Sharon, I may just try that hairspray tip. I have not actually worn sheers for the longest time now! It is so nice to wear something that holds up for more than a week or so, oh man. I thought of you in Macy's the other day because they had a very vibrant display of many different styles of tights. They were Hues brand and actually had the denier labeled. It only went up to 100 but still, that's the highest I've ever seen in-store. I imagine Megan would be disappointed at the lack of stripes!

I love the outfit you described, Sharon. How naughty to get such a smart look wet! I don't know that I would do it, but if we were all together, I bet I'd be right there with you two in a snap.

So the main thing about work is that we are all together most of the time so I would definitely get caught putting water in my shoes. Oh and I was going to ask, now that we are on the subject, how long of a skirt/dress and what type is appropriate to wear with boots? I wore a dressy white with black flowers skirt with a blazer and boots to work Friday. I lost weight since I bought the skirt so it sank down to the top of my boots and it was bugging me. It seems to me that there should be a gap between the boots and the end of the skirt? I have sadly less leg length than you, Sharon, but Megan, I am sure you understand my plight, lol!

Peeptoe heels are my passion... and flexibility: www.Flexines.net

Hi Megan and Sangue, Megan, the property I own in Cornwall has an outdoor heated pool, but the property in Germany also has one, the only difference being I rent my house here in Munich. As for your question, I have to say I like all three equally as much. The feeling of jumping in, going under, and then coming up completely soaked through to my bra and knickers within a few seconds is fantastic, as is swimming, floating, climbing out and diving back in etc. I also love the feeling when I climb out with all the water sheeting off me, especially when I'm wearing a lot of clothes including a coat or a puffa jacket etc :unsure: Sangue, as for your question regarding skirt or dress length in respect of wearing boots with them, there is no set "rule", as it's all down to personal preference. That being said, I'm basing this on the usual trends for European and English women. I have no idea how fashion trends tend to be in the USA. I personally tend to wear a classic lined and straight-cut pencil skirt with a back button, zip and vent, with lengths ranging from 18" to a maximum of 21". As I have a 33" inside leg measurement, an 18" skirt only comes to around mid-thigh, and I tend to wear these when I have opaque tights and court shoes on, as this really shows off my long, slim legs. However, when I wear knee-length boots, I find the ideal skirt length to be around 20" or 21". When standing up, the bottom of the skirt is just above my knees, and when sitting down is around 2" above my knees. This typically (when standing) has a visible gap between the bottom of my skirt and the tops of my boots of around 3 - 5" where only my tights are visible. Like I said, this is only a personal preference, but I have seen many other women wearing the same kind of outfit setup as myself. The only thing I will say for certain is that if you have ankle boots, only wear them with a full ankle-length skirt or with smart trousers or bootcut jeans, as I find that wearing ankle boots with a short skirt, or even a knee-length one, looks awful. Again, this is only my fashion preference. I have seen a few girls of the Goth/Emo type wearing ankle boots with fishnet tights and a short skirt, but I think it looks all wrong LOL! Anyway, must get on. Hope you're all having a great weekend and look forward to hearing from you again soon. Regards, Sharon. xx

Hi Sharon and Sangue, Sharon, I've never known anyone who had TWO swimming pools! Are you really the Queen? LOL. Mmm, I know, I can never decide. Different likes for different reasons. Still, sometimes when I get my feet wet I wish I could go back to dry and do it again, over and over. Do you know what I mean? Sangue, I do know your dilemma. I keep my little legs as covered as I can in the (mistaken, I'm sure) hope that people will think they're longer. Something tells me if your boots come to the knee, your skirt should show your knee, but I can imagine a longer skirt working too. Of course, I'm older than you, and probably hopelessly out of touch. I'm very wary of looking like mutton dressed as lamb. Better stick with Sharon as your guru. I love the pink ones and blue ones and yellow ones. I don't really understand dollars. Are they expensive? Regards, Megan x

Hi Sharon, I did go into Boots to check out the nail polish you recommended. I don't usually paint my nails, not my fingernails because I bake, and not my toenails, because they never get seen. But I think I like the idea of co-ordinating my toes with the colours I'm wearing. The idea of hidden frivolity really appeals to me, so I'm thinking I might give it a go. (Rereading the last two sentences, you can see my go get 'em decisiveness just shining through lol). Just a short one as I'm a bit tired and out of sorts today. Hope to hear from you soon. Regards, Meganx

Hi Megan, Did you find the particular colour of nail polish I mentioned, and did you decide to buy it? Like you, my toes are rarely seen by anyone else, as I'm usually always in thick opaques and boots. However, as you said, it's nice knowing that under those tights are pretty pink toes :unsure: Have you had any new wet feet experiences recently? If so, what type of shoes/ boots and tights were you wearing, and how did it happen? Hope to hear from you again soon as always? Regards, Sharon. xx

Hi Sharon, Yes, I found that particular nail polish. You're right, it's lovely. But no, I haven't managed to decide to buy it yet. I'm a terrible ditherer when it comes to buying non-essentials. Today, for instance, I took a 48p packet of hot chocolate off the shelf, walked a few yards then went and put it back. Twice! I'm going to need you to push me if I'm going to buy nail polish. But I think I want to. We've had a little rain here over the last few days, but not enough during the days to make puddles, and I've had my daughter with me on and off, so I haven't had many chances. I did pop outside without my shoes to hang some washing out while the ground was wet. I was a bit worried because I left wet footprints on the steps and thought someone might notice. But nothing else, I'm afraid. It has turned a bit chilly and I've got cold feet tonight, so I'm thinking I might warm them up in a bowl of warm water before bed. I want to cut my nails too, so it would be two birds with one stone. I'll let you know. How about you? Have you had any more chance to use your pool? It's always lovely to hear from you. Looking forward to it again soon. Regards, Megan x

Hi Everyone, I had an event that made me feel particularly foolish yesterday. I'd gone out on the rocks as I do about once a week. There was a wind blowing from the south and it seemed to bring the tide in faster than I was expecting. Anyway, I was engrossed in what I was doing and next time I looked up I was surrounded by the sea. I had to wade about thigh deep to get to safety. Obviously, I didn't mind the wetting, but I'm so embarrassed that I took my eye off the tide like that. Tourist error. It wasn't even dangerous, just made me look like an amateur.

Megan, that is really dangerous and I'm glad you are ok.

Hi Everyone,

I had an event that made me feel particularly foolish yesterday. I'd gone out on the rocks as I do about once a week. There was a wind blowing from the south and it seemed to bring the tide in faster than I was expecting. Anyway, I was engrossed in what I was doing and next time I looked up I was surrounded by the sea. I had to wade about thigh deep to get to safety. Obviously, I didn't mind the wetting, but I'm so embarrassed that I took my eye off the tide like that. Tourist error. It wasn't even dangerous, just made me look like an amateur.

Hi Megan, I'm glad you found the nail polish, but I'd seriously recommend you get it. It's a lovely shade of pink in the bottle, but trust me, it looks even nicer when it's on your finger or toenails, or both :unsure: And for a mere £7, it's well worth it, as even if you did your nails with it once a fortnight, the bottle would still last for at least a year. When you break that down financially, it works out at just 58p a month, and that's if it lasted only a year. I've had bottles of that size which I use all the time last me nearly two years, so it could work out as little as 29p a month! As for your incident at the beach the other day, firstly I'd like to say I'm glad that you were safe and everything was okay, but as for the getting wet part of it, you said you had to wade thigh-deep to get back to the shore. What were you wearing on your bottom half, from the waist down, and did you have far to walk home with your bottom half soaking wet? As for your question to me regarding my pool, yes, I have been in it several times over the last few weeks, usually on weekends and when I get home after work during the week, whenever the wind is not up. Outfits have ranged from hoodies with a tight tee-shirt underneath with skinny jeans or jeggings, with tights worn under them and fur-lined suede Ugg boots to trainers, slouch socks, leggings, sports top and a zip-through top, to fully-lined skirt suits with a satin blouse, thick opaque tights and black leather zip-up knee-length boots :mecry: I'll almost certainly be going in after work tomorrow, providing the weather holds. Anyway, must get on. Look forward to hearing from you again as always. Regards, Sharon. xx

Hi Everyone,

Megan, that is really dangerous and I'm glad you are ok.

Thank you for your concern, Amanda, but really, I was never at more risk than looking like a clueless amateur, which I achieved, in my eyes at least. The tide was only turning and even if it had been in full I'd only have been twenty yards from an open beach. Two miles east there are cliffs. You don't want to get caught by the tide there. Anyway, my pickings were good. I made 19 pies with them and sold 14 at £2.20 a time, so I was pleased. Some of that will go towards a bottle of that nail polish that Sharon has bullied me into buying lol.

Yes, Sharon, I'm going to buy a bottle tomorrow. How could I not after you put so strong a financial case? And I promise I'll do it first time. No to-ing and fro-ing.

I was only wearing an old denim skirt, my usual black opaques and the wellies that I wear for musseling. I managed to hold my skirt above the water, which was a bit undignified, but I knew I'd have to go through the town centre. Sometimes the water swelled enough to make me gasp. It was about half a mile along the beach and then another mile home. It was a lovely afternoon and I enjoyed myself immensely. Took me nearly two hours to clean, steam and shuck the mussels, but you're not interested in that.

I really envy you your pool. (That's my green eyes doing their thing.) I think I've said before, I used to be quite a swimmer, but contact lenses spoilt it for me.

Hope to hear from you again soon.

Regards, Megan x

Hi Sharon, I bought a bottle of the nail polish. You're so right, it looks lovely on. I'm so excited I want to look at them all the time. I've even done my fingers, but I'm going to have to clean that off because people don't like blah blah blah. My toes look so lovely. And no-one can see them, but it's cool.

Hi everyone, I had a fabulous day today. I had to go along the seafront and the way the wind was blowing, above the high water mark there were big piles of foam, blown off the sea, about the consistency of bubble bath. There weren't many people about, and I don't think anyone would have noticed, but I couldn't resist a walk in the foam. It was really fun to kick through it, about knee deep. I didn't go any closer to the sea. The waves were towering over me, eight foot, ten foot at least. A girl likes to be swept off her feet sometimes, but the thought of then being dashed on the pebbles didn't appeal. Anyway, further along the sea was right up to the sea wall and splashing over the promenade, giving a shower to the unwary (and the unbtroubled!). It was all quite thrilling. The sea spray made my hair all sticky and lank. I didn't have time to wash it so I plaited it and when I went to the quiz I put on a headscarf. I must have looked like a cross between Amish and Jennifer Saunders in Ab Fab. Absolutely Amish, you heard the idea here. I'm going to go and see if I can get my avatar back. I feel a mixture of back to school after the holidays and bomb fell on my house. I'm English, so I must need a (nice) cup of tea here! Hope to hear from you soon, Megan x Hope to hear from you soon

Hi Megan (and the rest of the gang), Just a quick post to say I've not been ignoring anyone, but as of when the site owners did the update, I've been unable to log in as it appears they corrupted my password in the process. Hope all's well, and I'll be in touch with a proper post soon. Regards, Sharon. xx

Hi Sharon (and anyone else who's listening), So lovely to see you back. I'd assumed you were over busy with work or something more important. Sorry to hear about your problems with your password. If it had happened to me I think I'd have been lost for good as I wouldn't have known how to fix it. I spent some unhappy hours fretting about my avatar, but people helped me, and I've lost my stars, but Tech says he's working on that. I got soaked to the skin today. I had to go into town and the rain was coming at me horizontally with the wind. I hadn't realised how rough the weather was and I only had a denim jacket on, with an Indian cotton dress. I looked like a drowned rat. I'm not sure I like rain wetting. I was very glad to get home. I would have got straight under a hot shower, but I didn't have any hot water, so I had to make do with a cup of tea. How do you do for tea in Germany, or is it not your beverage? Anyway, I've got some work I should be doing. I don't know if I will; I might leave it till tomorrow, but I'll end here. Looking forward to hearing from you again soon. As it warms up you must have some tales to tell. Regards, Megan x

Edited by meganiwish

Hi Megan, Sorry it's taken me a while to reply, as yeah, I have been very busy with work recently. As for your question regarding tea, yes, we do drink it here, but I'm one of those strange people who don't drink tea or coffee lol. With regards to your previous post, when you got soaked in the rain the other week, what type of tights and shoes/boots were you wearing, and did they get thoroughly soaked as well? As for me, I got a proper soaking on Friday afternoon. I'd finished work early and it was a nice day, so I got changed from my work uniform into my brand new pink and white leather trainers, white ankle socks, 3/4 length black cotton and lycra leggings, cotton and lycra knickers, a sports bra, stretch skinny-fit tight t-shirt and my luminous pink hoodie top. I went out for a jog, but when I got home I was pretty hot, and despite having on my brand new trainers that cost me 60 Euros, and which I'd only had for three days, the temptation to cool off in the pool was too much, so I jumped straight in at the deep end wearing everything! It felt fantastic, and I'm pleased to say I don't regret 'christening' my new trainers in that way :) I'm certainly getting more daring, as I wouldn't usually have done that wearing brand new shoes or boots, especially expensive ones like those :) Anway, hope you've had a lovely weekend, and I look forward to hearing from you again as always. Your good friend, Sharon. xx

Hi Sharon,

Sorry I was a bit slow in replying, but I did have a busy, though very enjoyable weekend. We have a weekend here called Jack in the Green with lots of morris dancing and pagan stuff with greenery and drums. I'm sure it sounds to you like the last thing you'd want. Anyway, I overdid it a bit and was very tired by last night. I dressed from head to toe in green, with a green dress with a laced bodice, green tights, my old green dancing clogs which look a bit like thishttp://0632694d-a-62cb3a1a-s-sites.googlegroups.com/site/treforowenclogmaker/clog-pictures/best- clogs/Best%201%20Bar%20Celtic%20Knot%20Crimp.jpg?attachauth=ANoY7crA94QADE0McwxHBaDC37jJ3Oo8hdAySDN2S-O5IXihvwaJDSCxR7J1BEybTRWiK57TJWOTKkPinBI2gWK-HbsixOlyOqLN-9oM2o3b_PprEiK8RUzsi3QhFNzJgmkXO6ycOjKJp7FUf8F8XcWOlasDBJa9qH52mf02zqvpcqYli0qOXKyTEr0Lz6CcwdzS49Ih_Cx7mZ0PuBUgpH6t9DRNNqOkWts03nkRgd5AIH09fw9eL46Ygqscr21BHXhRbIgyBCAojsEvEvOLbHSjscED6GBbHg%3D%3D&attredirects=0 only green, and ivy twined in my hair. It rained a bit in the afternoon, but standing on a steep grass bank I had to take my clogs off as my toes were getting crushed into the front of them, even though they're quite snug fitting. My feet got really quite damp from the grass, but the sun came out by three o'clock and it warmed up then.

It sounds like you had a lovely time on Friday. The outfit sounds wonderful, especially the hoodie top. I like hoods as there always feels something very feminine about putting a hood up. I hope your new trainers dried out okay.

I was wearing 70 denier black opaque tights and black ballet pumps the other day when I got wet in the rain. I was completely inappropriately dressed for the weather, and yes, I was quite squelchy by the time I got home.

Anyway, after the weekend I've left myself with a lot to catch up with, so I'd better end here and try and get some sleep. Looking forward to hearing from you again soon.

Megan xx

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to stop waiting for the "perfect time" to post and just tell you about my magic rain puddle day. Earlier this month there was quite the fierce rain storm, complete with howling winds and dramatic lightning. I slept with the windows open as this is my favorite type of weather--when I was younger I used to run around in rain storms, even. The next day was beautiful and sunny. All our lilacs were in bloom and the overflow on our back property line. I went out back to gather a bouquet before they all fell off and found a beautiful, sparkling clean puddle of water sitting on top of the lighting greened grass. (A little tidbit: grass is never as green as after a lightning storm.) It was as if there was a thick, soft green blanket holding a small pool of sparkling glass. I had come out barefoot rather than sinking in my heels (my most resilient heels are waiting to be re-tipped and are "barefoot.") I stood in the water and it felt like I was someplace else, maybe a fairy tale, with perfect blue skies and dreamy, wispy white clouds. The dandelions were so yellow and bright against the grass and contrasted beautifully with the light purple of the lilacs. It smelled wonderful. The best part was the water. It was cool as I stepped in, immediately giving me the feeling of "accidentally" stepping in a puddle. No dirt stirred; it was like it was trapped beneath the grass. It was so sunny that as I moved on I felt sun-warmed patches that reminded me of wading in the shallowest parts of a beach on an extremely hot day. Then here and there I would again hit those cool patches and it felt like cool, fresh rain--as if it had just fallen or as if I was standing in that rainstorm. I took a mental photograph, and I hope I have "uploaded" it decently :)

Hi Sangue, You couldn't have picked a more perfect time. And you 'uploaded' your picture perfectly. To start I was reading Bronte with the howling storm, then Yeats with faeries tripping across pools of dew, then looking at Van Gogh's yellows and purples. Gosh, what a post! I especially liked 'lightning greened grass'. Ooh, send me a message next time, I'll hop on a plane. I've missed you. I thought we'd lost you. I don't want to spoil your picture with a longer post, I want to keep it with me, so I'm going to leave it here and look forward to hearing from you again soon. Megan xx

Hi everyone, Hope you're all keeping well. Gosh, what a sudden change we've had in the weather. It seems like it's been cold and miserable for so long and suddenly yesterday summer got here. It was the first day since October that I've slept properly barefoot and the first day since November that I didn't have a hot water bottle. Well actually, I did, because I realised when I'd got into bed that it was still in there from the night before, but I hadn't heated it up. And it was lovely. It wasn't cold, just room temperature, but being cooler than me it felt like sleeping with my feet in water, a really comforting feeling. It's an even warmer day today, so I'm going to try it again tonight. There were people on the beach this afternoon, but no-one in the water, so I didn't feel I could brave it, though it looked blue and clear and inviting. I bet you'd have led the charge, Sharon :-) Well, just wanted to keep in touch. Hope to hear from you all soon. Megan x

You absolutely won't lose me! I am just busy and lazy to post, lol! I came over, actually, to make a confession in line with yours--that I had a good foot-wetting occasion and was too shy to take it. I had finished a long shift in four inch heels. They are closed toe heels and these are giving me a hard time. So my feet were too warm and sore wear the heels rubbed them. I sat outside where it was warm. The sky was greyish blue from all the rain that day. It would rain more later and tired, wispy clouds hung above. Perfect weather for a cool looking little pond to collect where some rocks were set for such an event in the middle of a grassy spot with shrubbery. It held the steele gray of the sky like a mirror and I was tempted to send ripples through that image and fill my shoes. There were so many people around and I held back. Then I thought of how dirt the water probably was from the parking lot and the litter. Turns out I did send ripples, but only through my vision of that pond, shattering it. The idea seems perfect for recreating in my yard, though... ;)

Hi Sangue,

What a shame you didn't feel able to take advantage of the little pond, as it sounds like your poor feet could have done with the relief. I wonder if wearing the shoes wet around your home might help them to fit better.

We're having what counts as a heatwave here 28oC, about 8oo F. I went down to the seafront this afternoon and did have a little paddle in the edge of the waves. There were some young people there frolicking, but really I'm past the age for frolicking.

I hope you manage to sort out your shoe problems. Your heels are meant to make you feel good, not bad.

Hope to hear from you again soon.

Regards, Megan x

I never had any call to write in this thread. I so dislike having wet feet and shoes. It comes from living here I suppose. I missed the heatwave completely as I was overseas for the entire duration. Not only entire but exact!. Grr...I did however put my feet into the Pacific pond for a few seconds. Bare feet. The boom of the ocean swell breaking on that long white sandy beach, the smell of ozone and the hissing of retreating bubbles made me laugh unexpectedly as though it were some sort of reflex. As always, I made sure that my feet were dry and scrupulously sand free before slipping my shoes back on. Water is bad enough, sand has got to be the worst.

Edited by Amanda Snake

Hi Amanda Snake! We have been missing our contributors on the "keeping your feet dry" side of thing, maybe you'd like to post your close calls?

I agree, sandy feet are awful. Sandy and wet? Miserable. Good thing you avoided it! Sounds like a magic little moment, maybe you should try it again :) At the very least, the description of the location brings up a beautiful image--serene, yet powerful.

Hi Sangue and Amanda, Sangue, you're right, a bit of dryness gives some 'friction' to help things move along. Amanda, I think Pacific and Potrero Hill means you needed to be wearing flowers in your hair. Did you meet some gentle people there? I find it hard to be unhappy by the sea. It looks, smells and sounds different every time. I think it was Betjeman who said something about how everything's going on on the land but the people all look at the sea. Megan

The sea has always been of vital importance to humanity. The land sea interface being a treasure trove of easily obtainable and delicious ready to eat meals. The water provided us a safe haven from wild beasts, making coastaleering a safe option for long distance travel. The sea brought us new continents and territories, monsters, a mysterious hidden world covering 2/3rds of the earths surface. It delivers oddments and curios for inspection on each new tide and provides us with water without which we are nothing. It's been said that we came forth from it. I don't subscribe to the theory that humanity was born on the Gondwanaland plain. I think we're a coastal animal and that's why we all look to the sea. Even if it's just watching the tide roll away from the dock of the bay, which is where I was, you guessed right.