Getting Your Feet Wet

amandahls

Megan, Sharon, Heidi, Hana and Jane (oh my!) lol We have quite a list! But anyways, I have caught up some on schoolwork, enough to have an excuse to check back here. Megan, I have been following the discussion board and I've been dying to tell you that the catfish are harmless, but if you catch one when you are fishing they will hurt you with the barbs that look like whiskers, hence the name. My state's motto is "land of 10,000 lakes" although we have at least 5K more than that. If I should ever meet any of the ladies of this forum I would of course have to take you on a tour of my favorite lakes and we could all jump in. I am absurdly fearful, however, of the huge fish in the lakes although they are harmless to humans. They do eat entire ducks and have extremely sharp teeth and that is enough to scare me, haha! I did not, in fact, find the Guardian but I did think of you while I searched. I think that for heels you should stop dreaming about these tall heels and direct yourself toward finding 3" heels with a platform. If it is a well disguised/classy looking platform you will get the advantage of the full heel height plus your foot will actually handle just a 2" height. Oh, I know what you mean about missing Heidi after reading the thread, that is what got me posting, that Heidi, Sharon, Jane, and the others were so personable it feels like getting to love the characters in a favorite novel. Hanna, I was actually very pleased and very excited to see you join our thread. I had already seen some of your posts on other threads that I also commented on and I like your style and personality :smile: I was whipping through the last few comments to get to say hi! lol To your descriptions, you could add the Jane and I love to admire our lovely painted toes. I also have a love for lots of fastenings and ribbon ties, hence my addiction to garters and frequent wearing of my zebra ribbon-tied heels. What is your favorite pair of shoes? (Mine are my newer avatar that I will just shortly be adding.) Sharon and Heidi, I keep thinking of you when I stick my exposed feet in my open heels through four inches of fresh snow on my way out the door to class. It is an instant, electric chill that I enjoy and makes me feel master of the winter weather. Still, distances through the cold makes me long for your collection of footwear. I have yet to take the plunge and buy any heeled boots, what do you recommend in searching for them? I usually wear the black slingbacks with cutouts edged in gold because they are PU uppers and hold up better with all the salt that is poured all over the asphalt and concrete to lower the freezing point of the ice and avoid icy spills. They get washed off at home often to counteract this, but the amount of salt is incredible--the asphalt parking lots are not black but chalk white! Heidi, I am glad you are having fun on your trip. It feels like you probably know more about US fashions than I do b/c the girls around here are so hopelessly lost in that department! I would love to walk down Wall Street with you dressed to kill in formal luxe outfits. Sharon, wouldn't it be daring to get wet doing something like that? Jane, how sweet of you to pop in with your exams coming up. I hope you nailed it! I was wondering, what with Megan and I being the short ones (I'm 5'3") and Sharon being our model tall 5'10", how tall are you, if you don't mind? I imagine that we would make quite a staggering group with our height differences and style preferences, like a colorful magazine spread. Heidi, I don't remember if you've mentioned your height, but I am I correct in saying you are about Sharon's height?

Peeptoe heels are my passion... and flexibility: www.Flexines.net

Hi everyone, No, Heidi, I wasn't brave enough to do Central America, which was a dangerous place back in the 80s. My daughter will be doing a year in Latin America the year after next. I'm very scared, I hope she goes somewhere safe. I now know how my mother felt.It breaks my heart that Mexico, which I love very much, is such a sad place at the moment, with all the violence. For the most part they're such a lovely people, and so polite. You're right, I love the feel of socks in boots, that make them a little tight. But the reason I can't wear them comfortably is less to do with stability than proportion. I gather you work in a lab, so maths must mean something to you. Picture this:60cm leg +7.5cm heel=67.5cm. 75cm leg +7.5cm heel =82.5cm. But then 60/7.5=8 75/7.5=10. So my heel to leg is 1:8 and other people's is 1:10. In three inch heels, anyway. I don't expect you saw the Guardian last week, but there were some shoes I would have been straight into thirty years ago. Lovely turquoise peeptoe stack wedges. I'd have worn them with bright yellow or dark green opaques. I fell in love with them in the picture last week. Them I'd wear, because even the tallest girl would look ridiculous in them - wonderfully ridiculous. I bet they don't make them in size three (that's 5.5 Euro). Sorry, got a bit carried away there. I've had a couple of rose wines and a few martinis tonight. Had a nice night with my friends. I think I looked pretty good tonight. In the end I wore my figure hugging maroon jersey dress with black 300 denier opaques. I had a pair of mid calf flat boots where the leg sort of falls down on itself I had a dark blue silk scarf and I wore my pink and grey check duffel coat. My dress was shorter than my coat, so maybae my daughter was right. I'm in love with that coat and I think I'm going to wear it forever. Regards, Megan

Hi Sangue, So glad to see you back. I've missed you, though it's only been a few days. So catfish that can only hurt you with their barbs and can eat entire ducks are harmless? What are you, an Australian lol? I think you might be right about wedges. I need to break some habits, and finding myself suddenly alone might be the time to do it. I shall make it my (Chinese) New Year's Resolution, I promise. Aren't these girls just like your favourite heroines? Who is yours? Mine is Jane Eyre. And she gets her feet wet four, maybe five times in the book. Regards, Megan

Hi everyone, I think we are currently at a record for the most people active in this thread at once. Yay! Sangue, I am very impressed. You truly are able to handle the cold, wearing slingbacks in the snow! Do you ever wear aerobic shoes to work and change into your slingbacks at the office? ...... Regarding new boots, everyone looks for something different. I am not sure what your personal preferences are. I myself love leather knee high boots with a thick fur lining inside for extra warmth. Leather or synthetic leather is easy to clean with a wet cloth to get all the salt or sand off to prevent the leather from getting damaged. Suede is very hard to clean. For foul, slippery winter weather, I try to find boots with a rubber sole, deep treads and a block heel. I also purchase my boots one size larger than what I actually need so I can have space for extra socks and thick pantyhose. I take it you just want to purchase something true to size, correct? What kind of boots have you been looking at? What styles excite you? What heel heights and what shaft heights do you like? Megan, happy Chinese new year to you! The figure hugging maroon jersey dress with black 300 denier opaques with flat calf high boots sound very very cute on you. Do you also find that in the winter time, one does not have to wear clothes that reveal a lot of skin to be sexy, one just has to wear tight clothes that *hint* at what is underneath and that can already get guys hearts to beat incredibly fast? LOL Megan, both you and your daughter sound like adventurous people. Do you two travel a lot together? Heidi

Hi Heidi, You're so right about tight clothes. Actually, I don't think you ever need to show a lot of skin to be sexy. It's like with a birthday present. How disappointing to get one unwrapped. That could be my age. I think I look better wrapped these days lol. It could also be why I don't believe I've made a chap's heart beat fast for a long time. I was quite intrepid in my day, or at least I thought I was. It's my daughter's turn now, and my turn to worry. I haven't been anywhere for some years now. A lot of places that I'd like to go back to, but I know they won't be the same, so I probably never will. She'll go there instead and find her own places. Do you often travel on business? Regards, Megan

Hi Sangue, I see you're on line at the moment. I wonder if you'll find this soon. My son has just been round with his girlfriend. I think he wanted a chat, but I showed her a story I'd written for a competition and we spent two hours talking about books, and then I lent her some. I tihnk he was a bit cheesed off with me, but she has him under her thumb, which is where he should be! It's late, but he knew tomorrow is a market day, so I'd up dealing with my bread. A night of broken sleep. At 5'3" you must feel even smaller than me. I mean, your compatriots are all so tall. Still, the best things come in little packages. What size feet have you got? As I said, I'm size three. I can't remember what that is in American. Do you find it hard to get shoes small enough? Regards, Megan

Hi Heidi,

It's like with a birthday present. How disappointing to get one unwrapped.

I love it! So true, and I'm not sure if you caught that both Sharon's and my partner agree on that. BTW, my husband and I were recently discussing the usage of the word "love" in American English. We Americans love our shoes, our dogs, our children, and our partners--obviously in totally different ways and to different degrees. However, in Latin America you would never use the same word to describe your love for your shoes, dog, or a type of food that you would for your husband or daughter. He said he had a friend that said it is the same way in German, is that true Heidi?

Anyways, catfish are like birds in that if you try to capture a bird it will do its best to peck you out of that idea. Catfish don't eat ducks, but Muskies and Northern Pikes will; still, they will not bite a human unless, once again, you have them by the gill with a hook, lol. So I am sure we would be quite safe even though deep water scares me, haha.

Ohhh, so UK has different sizing. I thought that numbers such as 38 as in European sizing were universal to all of Europe (I'm sorry, that sounds so ignorant now). That's my size--38 Euro, 7 US, and... just found it 5 UK. My, my, such little feet Megan! Size seven is a very common size here, to the extent that it is usually the display shoe shown by default in shoe stores, then different sizes are shown once the 7's sell out.

Today I am happy to report I tried out the inverse of Heidi's idea and what Megan and I were talking about, layering different colored tights. I actually wore tights (really!), white vintage sheers, with black fishnets that have holes down the side or front & back, depending on how I wear them since they are stockings. I paired this with a black flower print on a white skirt, a light white sweater, and my trusty salt-braving black slingbacks with the cutouts edged in gold. I have laddered almost all my sheers and I am fed up with sheers!!!! I will be forced, finally, to replace them with something sturdier.

Has anyone tried knitting/crocheting stockings/tights? I have collected a number of tutorials but don't ever find the time. One of these days I will get to this. This sounds kind of like a Lady of the Canyon thing to do, am I right Megan?

Hi Megan (and the rest of the gang), I'm glad to hear you did the bath, and your outfit sounded nice. Ballet pumps are great, but for me, I tend to find they fill up too quickly. I like getting wet in them, but find it feels nicer to do it in good quality trainers or a classy pair of genuine leather knee boots, as they hold a lot more water, take longer to fill up, and are wonderfully squishy and squelchy :smile: I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the experience, and glad you want to do it again. Try it with many different kinds of outfits and different types of shoes and boots. For example, socks worn over tights with leggings and trainers. Also, try different materials and styles of underwear, as they all have different and unique feelings when both submerged, and when you stand up totally dripping wet. Anyway, look forward to hearing from you in the near future. Regards, Sharon. xx

Hi everyone, Megan, guys may think that girls look better without clothes on but I totally agree with your analogy with a Christmas gift. When wrapped, their is mystery which invokes the human emotion of curiosity which leads to the human emotion of desire, the desire to find out and discover what lays underneath :smile: Megan, regarding travel, have you ever considered travelling back to all those places with your daughter, together? Sangue, the German word for love is 'liebe' and it is commonly associated with an emotion for someone. When you have a strong liking for an object, like a hand bag, a pair of heels, earrings, the commonly used word is 'mag', as in 'ich mag <object>' ....... The white pantyhose with black fishnets sounds like an aggressive, fun party look! Did you get a lot of fun comments from your friends? ....... I have never tried knit leggings before, has anyone else? I worked in the very warm lab again today spent the majority of the day wearing a thin white blouse, black skirt, one pair of pantyhose and a pair of suede pull up knee high boots with 2" heel. When I I left the lab, I threw on a thick cardigan over my blouse, I made sure no one was looking, removed my suede boots, added a second pair of pantyhose, put on a pair of thick socks and put on my fur lined knee high boots before going back to my hotel. Tomorrow, I think I will stick with dual layer pantyhose, wool socks and fur lined leather boots in the hot lab, strange as it may sound, I felt naked without them on! Heidi

Hi everyone, In British English there's a strange thing taking hold - people saying "I'm loving", as in eg, "I'm currently loving the new Stella McCartney collection." It doesn't seem to be restricted to fashion contexts, and I'm intrigued that peoples love and likes could change with the seasons. Most peculiar. Actually, I have been fishing a few times. I know what you mean, if you're bold and firm then neither you nor the fish will get hurt. (Nor the seagull that once got caught in my line. That was fun!) I was with some people on a boat one time and one of the men landed a conger eel. It was two metres long and all teeth. I didn't like having an angry fish in the boat as I was far and away the smallest there (including the fish) and I could see myself ending up as bait. I nearly jumped overboard. I have read that they make tights now that are of higher denier but look sheerer than they are. I don't know where you'd get them, but that might be something for you to investigate. I have knit socks in the past, on four needles, circular needle and on a machine. On the machine you get a flat knit and have to sew a seam up the side, but it is quick. With the other two you get a seamless tube, but I always found turning the heel a little bit fiddly. I've never knit longer than ankle socks, because I get fed up before they get any longer than that, but once you've done the heel it's really only a case of time and stamina. Knitting stripes makes it easy to count the rows. But not everyone wants to wear stripes. Sharon, I know exactly what you mean about boots. I love the moment when the water finds its way over the top of your boots. When you're wading in you can prolong the moment and the anticipation. It's like when you were little and you had the moment of wondering whether to do that thing you'd get in trouble for and then you screw up the courage and do it. And as the water flows in and down you get that lovely feeling of no return. I can see I'm going to have to go underwear shopping, as I haven't got a very big range. No-one sees it these days. I do like to wear a slip under some of my lighter weight skirts, though. That would be interesting. Heidi, what do guys know? I know one who says a book cover is just to stop the pages getting damaged. Oh, I know he's only making fun of me, but really! I even have my favourite book covers, not always on my favourite books. I know what you mean about feeling naked. I couldn't live in a hot country for too long, because I hate not being able to wear tights. I'm not quite as commited as you though lol. I think I need to leave my daughter to discover the places for herself. I've had my go on the swing, time to give someone else a go. Mind you, she's in the city where I went to university at the moment, and I haven't been there since 1990. I'll visit her and let her show me around 'her' city. I'm sure it will be quite different from when I was there. Regards, Megan

Hi Megan, Just a query with what you were saying about getting wet with boots on. You said about when the water goes over the tops of them after wading in, are you talking about doing it in welly boots, as most knee-length boots that you would wear with a skirt and tights have zips, thus the water starts to go in your boots when you're only ankle-deep. As for what you said about wearing a slip/petticoat, I'm sure that would feel nice, as it basically acts the same as the silky lining in most good quality pencil skirts, and I can say for certain that such skirts feel really nice when submerged :smile: Anyway, look forward to hearing from you soon as usual. Regards, Sharon. xx

Hi Sharon My boots have always been mid calf at most, since I always wear my skirt just below the knee, and they've always been pull on. I think I am going to try a shorter skirt and maybe some knee high boots though. I think it might look right after all, although it's not easy to change a look you've always had. So I can look forward to the zip experience:) Even without a zip, the water will seep through the leather eventually, but I can't normally wait that long. I do wear wellies some times. Before you get too shocked, I sometimes go and collect mussels off the rocks, and the rocks are too harsh on nice shoes. My wellies are only about 8" to the top, so you can imagine they're not exactly useful for staying dry. They feel quite different from other shoes when they get filled with water, as it doesn't soak in at all and sloshes about. I don't feel so conspicuous getting my feet wet if I look like I'm dressed for what I'm doing. I do wear old clothes for that, but still always a skirt and tights. I don't own any trousers or jeans. Maybe that's a habit for me to change too. What do you think? Regards, Megan

Thank you for the explanation, Heidi. I do love (ich mag) learning new thing--one of the main reasons I am working on going into medicine. I forgot to answer your question about my preferences in boots! I have a knack for picking shoes that prove to be unwieldy in my daily life; I hate to wear anything other than stillettos. Such a preference is hard on my college budget, so I do everything I can to avoid buying tennis shoes (trainers for the Brits lol) or any other type of flat shoes. Gardening tends to be a problem, and playing with the kids, in heels so I were these pink soled flip flops with multicolor (mostly pink) wide ribbon that I lace a little up my legs. One day I will be able to buy a sumptuous wardrobe to rival Sharon's! lol As for heel height, I like my regular heel height, at least 3" but so far only up to 4.5", so I would probably go with that. Shafts... I have not decided on yet, but tall shafts would probably cut my legs shorter yet :smile:

My main shoe problem is keeping my feet dry--in lab. Pre-medicine requires lots of lab so completely closed shoes, as per Osha which Heidi, I'm sure, is familiar with. Currently my battered old, old Converse. I bet I would ace every lab with a dreamy pair of boots. Maybe not quite up to Sharon's standards, because I still have to take Organic Chemistry lab and doubt spilled acetone and the like will do leather any good, PU would be better. Hmm...

Today I

to go with my multicolor Carlos Santana heels (Roulette) that I told you guys about. I have a dress I found after I bought the heels that I had to buy, which I can't wear tomorrow b/c I have Biology lab :P But I have a dressy shirt that matches the shoes even better, down the mimicking the pattern on the shoes! So I am going to wear that with the heels, sadly switching out of them for lab, and grey slacks. I can't wait! I imagine Sharon would wear tights under the whole outfit :wave:

Megan, I plan on picking your brain for tips on knitting just as soon as I find time to start my stocking project, if you don't mind. I am so excited to know someone that has some experience and insight. I have heard there are cotton blend yarns with lycra that are luxuriously soft with enough stretch for stockings. Heidi, I will look into finding opaque sheer-look tights. I wonder if these would look even more sheer wet? Has anyone tried this?

Hi Sangue, just got up to check my dough and delighted to find your post. Oh, please don't think I'm an expert. SOME experience is about the truth of it. Yes, there are some lovely yarns around, lovely to knit with and to wear, though they don't come cheap. Best bet is to go into a small specialist shop and ask. They're usually very enthusiastic and helpful. Have you ever knit before? Socks (or stockings if you keep going) are not a bad place to start because you can get a circular needle, cast on an uneven number (if I remember right) and just keep going, especially if you're not worried about a heel I don't know how fine a stocking you could knit though. Probably more like above the knee socks. But with some practice you could knit pretty lacy patterns. You've got me interested. I'm going to have to get out some of my old books and try it again. I could maybe even sell them in the market. Regards, Megan

Hi everyone, First off, I heard about the deep freeze in Europe on the news with temperatures plummeting to dangerous lows and I want to ask everyone in Europe - Sharon, Jane, Megan - Are you ok? Sangue, I never knew you are also in the field of life sciences! Since you are studying to be a doctor, you know that females in your field tend to wear a variety of footwear for their profession. An closed toe, often times sport shoe in the lab or in surgery, high heels for patient consultation and presentations and lab booties which go over your footwear when in surgery. Do the medical residents get a locker at the hospital they practice at to keep their clothing and shoes? ........ Speaking of closed to shoes, at the lab I am working at today, I sure feel out of place. We all are wearing white lab coats but I paired mine with a pair of knee high leather boots with a 3" heel. A lot of the other girls here are wearing their lab coats with Crocs or Converse. Heidi

Hello Heidi, Thanks for your concern, it is very very cold down here but not quite as bad as last winter. If there's one good thing that comes out of cold winters, it's that it gives me even more of a good reaon to wear my 300 denier tights with my knee-length boots. Anyway, sorry this is a very short post, I was merely popping in just to check for replies and saw you had posted, so thought I'd let you know that all's well and I'm OK. Look forward to hearing from you again as always. Regards, Sharon. xx

Hi Heidi (and everyone)' Like Sharon says, thanks for your concern. I think it's cold here, but when I went out today I thought of Sharon, who must be getting it harder than any of us. My gas bottle for my heater ran out (perfect timing). It's about 8C in my home. I can get a new one tomorrow. So I went out to my quiz tonight, knowing it would be warm there. I wore a pleated wool skirt, a thin sweater, a thick roll neck sweater, big scarf, my duffel coat, a stylish (I think) knitted beret, three pairs of opaques, two pairs of socks, one knee lengthed and striped, and my cowboy boots. I must have looked like a little girl playing hide and seek in a jumble sale! There was a girl there tonight wearing a dress I coveted - a thick jersey dress, figure hugging, with Mexican style geometric designs in stripes. But for once, I beat her for heels, as mine were 2" and she was in flats. Regards, Megan

Hi everyone, I am glad to hear that the European members of this list are okay. According to what the television news stated, apparently eastern Europe got hit a LOT harder with the cold front versus eastern Europe. Megan, only +8C at home?! Ouch, are you okay? How are you hoping with that? .......... The heat at my place went out one winter and it dipped to a similar temperature indoors. I remember, I would boil hot water and make hot beverages like mochas, lattes, cappuccinos, apple cinnamon tea, earl grey tea or fragrant tea. The hot beverages would warm up the inside of me. Prior to bed, I would take a really hot shower to warm up the outside of me before quickly towelling off, while the bathroom is still warm from hot water vapour, quickly throwing on my PJs and jumping into bed under two covers. hahaha Megan, the pleated wool skirt, a thin sweater, a thick roll neck sweater, big scarf, my duffel coat, knitted beret, three pairs of opaques, one pair of knee lengthed with one pair of striped socks and cowboy boots sounds like a very interesting outfit, very warm too. I think berets make a super cute fashion statement! How did you like wearing 3 pairs of tights, 2 pairs of socks inside your cowgirl boots? Did the padding make wearing 2" heels that much less painful and make it feel more like you are walking on a cloud with all that padding? Heidi

Hi Megan and Heidi, Megan, +8C indoors? That's seriously dangerous, you're at a great risk of catching hypothermia at temperatures as low as that. When you get a gas cylinder refill, it may be worth getting a second one and then rotate them so one in the heater, and oone stored away somewhere. When the one in the heater runs out, simply swap them over and take the empty one back for refilling a few days later. I have gas central heating in my house, and at the moment it's on 24 hours a day with the thermostat set to +25C. As for going out to your quiz night, the outfit you chose sounded really cosy and comfy, ideal for the weather at this time of year. Nice to hear that you wore heels :smile: I'm guessing they were of an angled, indented block heel? Have you ever got soaked in those boots yet? I jumped in the pool wearing a pair of those last summer, they felt great to swim in and were lovely and squishy to walk around the garden in afterwards, as mine were the 'pull-on' variety, and therefore had no zip to let most of the water out. Anyway, must get on, and hope you got your gas sorted out today. Regards, Sharon. xx

Hi Sharon and Heidi (and everyone), I may be little, but I'm tough. You just put a lot of clothes on. I grew up like this. You're right, though, Sharon, I should be better organised. Heidi's right too. Lots of hot chocolate and soup. Anyway, I got a bottle today, so I'm toasty warm again. Thank you for your concern. I've been thinking about you, Sharon. It's much harder where you are. I actually quite like the cold, because I love to wrap up. OK, last night was a bit over the top, but I love coats and scarves and gloves and hats. So much potential to be stylish. Yes, my cowboy boots have exactly the heels you say. They have had a few wettings. I love that I have to take them off and pour the water out. They're very comfortable, probably because I've worn them wet and had them dry on me. They don't often get an outing, because I've persuaded myself I wear flats. This may be changing, thanks to you. It's sad to leave a nice pair of boots in the cupboard, isn't it? Decision made, they can stay out and get the use they deserve. Heidi, yes it was tight having so much hosiery. None of them were thick, or I don't think I'd have got my boots on. But you do seem to walk with a more confident step. Is this a hidden confidence that we could pass on? No-one can see, but if you put more socks on you'll feel like you rule the world, and you will. Regards, Megan

Hi Megan (and the rest of the gang), Glad to hear you got your heater refuelled :smile: As for the cowboy boots, nice to hear you've got wet in them before and liked it. They hold a lot, and squelch nicely, especially with thick opaque tights on or even more so with a pair of socks over your tights. How did you get wet in them, did you get in the bath with them on or did you step into a deep stream or other source of water outdoors, for example a lake, the sea etc? If you got soaked in them outdoors, maybe try it next time in the warm bath so you can experience the different feelings of doing it in both cold and hot water. Anyway, hope you all have a great weekend and look forward to hearing from you again soon. Regards, Sharon. xx

Hi Sharon, Actually, I've got them wet indoors and out. The first time was just after I bought them. I loved the look of them, but they were very uncomfortable, and I'd heard you should soak them and wear them wet, so I did, after wetting them in the bath. As I say, I think it worked. I have also walked through a stream and had the water spilll over the top of them. The first time I needed the leather to get completely soaked, but since, I'd rather get the water out before the leather's completely wet. I like my feet wet rather than my boots. They're quite thick leather and can take a long time to dry, so I don't really want to get them wet at the moment. Today I saw a thing on the TV about bunions and high heels. There were some very brave women who showed their feet. I can only feel blessed. I don't like my feet because they're so small, but my toes are the right size, I could be a foot model if it weren't for the toe I broke when I stubbed it against the wardrobe. And the size of them.. One of the women had heels that were higher than my feet are long, or so it seemed. They were all covered in jewels, not real, I know. But that's why I wish. Hope you're keeping warm. Regards, Megan

Hi Sangue I see you're on line. I'm awake for no good reason. Do you really find heels make you feel taller? Shouldl I bite the bullet and try them instead of looking and longing? I saw some shoes today, red patent, ankle strap, 4" heels. So beautiful, and so no good for me. They won't have them in my size any way. How do you get shoes to fit? Megan

Hi Sangue

I see you're on line. I'm awake for no good reason. Do you really find heels make you feel taller? Shouldl I bite the bullet and try them instead of looking and longing? I saw some shoes today, red patent, ankle strap, 4" heels. So beautiful, and so no good for me. They won't have them in my size any way. How do you get shoes to fit?

Megan

Absolutely. At work, if I came in wearing flats since I had Chemistry lab, everyone would notice immediately that I looked shorter! I think that if you feel that the heel height detracts from your leg length, you should pick a monochrome outfit plus heel look as the single color will create the illusion that there is no transition from your leg to your shoes. Not sure if you read back to where Heidi mentioned wearing suntan pantyhose with similar colored high heeled boots at some type of a dressy function and she seemed taller while people were none the wiser.

As I have been searching for boot styles that interest me, I am finding that a boot is a whole different animal indeed. 4+ inch heels look all wrong on them, to me anyways. It seems that the bulk of the boot contrasted with the long, thin stilletto heels that I favor just looks proportionally wrong. I think 3" heels look best, stilletto-wise, on boots and I found some called Perry by Via Spiga that I like. I think boots are all too often black, saggy, and with a non-functional buckle, so I like that these feature a design in suede and skip the unnecessary buckle. Those are my thoughts so far, as it has taken me years of heel love to finally consider boots! Sharon, Heidi, I know you two own lots of boots, what do you look for as far as design and color in boots? Megan, do you have high heel boots, apart from the cowboy ones? If you don't, I think you ought to research a bit and tell me what you think you would get. :smile:

Hi Sangue (and the rest of the gang), Sangue, in answer to your question, you're right, I do wear knee-length boots a lot... Well, actually, nearly all the time. The styles I usually buy and wear are typically black, brown, white or pillar-box red. All are genuine leather. I tend to usually go for zip-up boots rather than pull-on ones, and although I do have some with kitten/stiletto type heels, I tend to favour the classic 60s/70s block heel style. The minimum heel height I will buy is 2.5 inches, and the maximum is 5.5 inches. Typically, most of my favourite boots have either a 3, 3.5 or 4 inch block heel. I do also like wedge heels, but I only own a few pairs of boots with that style of heel. Also, because I'm tall, the leg height of knee boots must be a minimum of 15 inches and a maximum of 17 inches. I've seen some that are classed as 'knee boots', but are only 12 or 13 inches in height. These would be fine on short women, but on me they just look calf-length, not knee-length. Well, must dash, as I'm off out for the evening now. Enjoy the weekend, and look forward to hearing from you soon. Regards, Sharon. xx

I ran a quick Google search of block heel boots and came up with some that caught my eye. As for the 60's/70's style boots, I'm not sure if I am really getting a good picture of what they look like. It seems there are lots of types that people refer to, some of them seem like cliche styles. Could you post an image of the type that you mean? I am definitely getting the sense that with boots there is a whole different set of rules!

Hi Sangue, I followed your link and saw the boots. They look fabulous. I saw a pair I loved on the website, not heels I admit, but it's indicative. They were Minnetonka, I think it was, three layered fringed boots. And they're red. I'm so easily swayed by fringes. Have they got them in my size? Well take a guess. So I fed my size in and looked to see what was available. Apparently I can buy Ugg boots. I did see some shoes I loved. Ed Hardy Marion Wedge. Yes I could wear them, but the red is too staid. I'd like them in a really good colour. But I can see myself wearing them, even though they're peep-toe. If I've got coloured shoes, I think black opaques can look ok with peep-toes. Doesn't help me buy boots though. My son took me out up to the social club tonight, with his girlfriend. She's lovely, they're both good for each other, but anyway. There was a birthday party there, one of the girls is 21. Anyway, it snowed, (it was forecast) and one of the girls had these shoes, five inch heels, leopard print, open toes. Most of the other girls seemed to have boots to change in to. I was well clad in boots, tights and socks.. I hope she was ok. It made me think of you, Sangue. You brave open toes in the snow, don't you? Have you ever thought of polar exploration? You'd be good with your medical background, and you'd be the most stylish person to get to the pole lol. Regards, Megan

Fringe? Interesting... I will have to check those out! How appalling that you can never find your shoe size! I remember hearing about women with your size feet having lots of trouble finding heels when I worked in a mall. I do not envy that! I wonder if you could try shopping for shoes and reading the reviews to see if they run small, especially if they are leather and could shrink. I don't think I could quite brave a polar expedition! I was, however, very pleased that you thought of me :wavey: and in comparison to such brave heeling! The other day I forgot to report to all of you that I did get my feet wet, unexpectedly and not enjoyably. I was walking between campuses and to and from a convenience store, thoroughly soaking the last 6 inches of my pants leg! It was awful because I just knew the salt was creeping up my leg and these are beige pants with a light design of darker beige, white, and blue lines almost like a faint plaid. Definitely going to have to be scrubbed out, the machine won't get that after it dries. I really should have hemmed them up quite awhile ago (such a problem, being short. Clothes here is for short, fat women or for tall, thin women with no shades of grey. And not tall enough for our Sharon either!) These I paired with some old shoes I got from who knows where, they are PU block heel (2.5"?) heels that are at least a size too big, but I had Biology lab (no open shoes curse). A jaunt through fountains would have been welcome, even in that cold, but dirty, road-salty water climbing up my pants? Nope, I had my Heidi moment. :)