Getting Your Feet Wet

amandahls

How do you feel about getting your feet wet, wearing high heels at the same time? It's probably kind of weird for me to say this, but I kind of enjoy it.

"I don't know who invented high heels, but all women owe him a lot"--Marilyn Monroe

• 2 weeks later...

You know I had never really thought much about this. I do typically wear some sort of high heel slide or mule when I'm at the pool on vacation. I guess they are kind of fun to wear when you are wet and the deck is wet. The slippery surface is kind of fun to walk on I guess. How many other girls regularly wear heels at the pool?

• 1 month later...

How do you feel about getting your feet wet, wearing high heels at the same time? It's probably kind of weird for me to say this, but I kind of enjoy it.

Lol, I never thought about it like that.

Generally where I live getting wet feet means you stepped in a puddle, forced to walk in the snow or have been splashed by a car.

It's not synonimous with pleasure for me.

:thumbsup:

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

It depends on the situation and on the type of shoe.

If I'm in a hurry for the bus on a rainy day while wearing strappy heels then it can be a very annoying with my feet sliding forward - no enjoyment there!

When I'm in a relaxing mood and when wearing certain sandals or mules (with the heel not too high), I actually enjoy the smooth feeling under my feet - almost like a foot massage!

Lol, I never thought about it like that.

Generally where I live getting wet feet means you stepped in a puddle, forced to walk in the snow or have been splashed by a car.

It's not synonimous with pleasure for me.

:chuckle:

That's exactly the way I see it. I can go pretty crazy when I accidently step in a puddle and realize I have to walk around all day with wet feet. :w00t2:

“Sometimes you have to sacrifice your performance for high heels” www.heelsoholic.com

• 6 months later...

I find it extremely irritating myself. Especially if the little cushioning that exists absorbs the water and creates that squishy sound at each step. What's worse is that i prefer shoes that are low maintenance. When they wear down or get damaged badly enough, it's time to toss them. That's the main reason i don't like buying designer heels. Can you imagine spending 600 dollars on a pair of heels just to step in to a deep puddle the next day?

I haven't had much experience, but once or twice you do end up stepping into that deceptively deep puddle, thinking "it'll be ok, I've an elevated heel, I won't get wet." Big mistake. Of course there are always those times when you get splashed by idiot drivers. Had that once when I was wearing heeled boots and it ran down my leg and down the boot shaft. I was rather annoyed, especially when it got to my toes because it made a rather obvious squishing noise. GAH, stupid drivers!

A driver drove through a deep puddle and slashed so much water on you that there sufficient water slashed onto your legs and slid into the shaft of your boots? Ouch! What kind of boots were you wearing where water could get in through the top?

I hope this was not at the start of your day like getting slashed and all wet on your way to an 8.5 hour work day! What did you do to dry yourself?

I really deteste getting my feet wet with a passion. Almost all the dress boots I buy are waterproof leather although I did get weak and ended up buying several pairs of designer knee high suede boots with heels that are very comfortable, flexible enough for dancing but not very waterproof. I avoid wearing those boots out when there is a lot of water outside due to rain.

I haven't had much experience, but once or twice you do end up stepping into that deceptively deep puddle, thinking "it'll be ok, I've an elevated heel, I won't get wet." Big mistake.......quote]

I had a very similar experience! I was walking with a friend of mine in 6" stilletos one time through a parking lot. An area was flooded from the day before due to heavy rain so I had to cut across carefully on grassy patch. Thinking that it was raised over the flooded area, I thought it was ok to walk on. Ha, both of us were almost ankle deep in muddy water!! Wow, it was a little icky at first, but what can we do? We realized that we were actually sinking because of our heels digging through the muddy area. It didn't look like it was wet, but we were wrong. We just kind of held on to each other trying to get out of it. When we got out, our shoes were a mess. She had on boots, but not me. I had straps in the back that made it worse. It was literally drenched with water inside/out.

I was thinking how in the world am I going to clean this up? I'm not going into my car like that. So I began to walk through the flooded area, just to get the mud off. Since it was the only pair of shoes I have at that time, I had no choice but to keep wearing it. So another 45 minute drive to her house, my feet were wet througout. Surprisingly, I didn't have cold feet and actually began to dry a little. Had the heater turned on through the floor. So instead of going back to my place, I just spend the rest of the day with her in my heels, lol. What an experience.

Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but she did it backwards and in high heels. -- Faith Whittlesey

Seeing that original post from Amandahls reminds me of some of my own eccentricities. Of course I hate it when my feet get wet struggling through the puddles into work on a winter’s day, but in the summer it’s a different story. On hot days – usually in July in my part of the world – at lunchtime I like to take a stroll round the city centre square near where I work. I sit on the edge of the fountains and dangle my feet in the water sometimes. One day I was wearing some shoes with a Mary-Jane style strap. I couldn’t be bothered to undo it and just plunged my feet into the water, enjoying the sensation of the air bubbles tickling their way up between my toes. I sat there and drank my coffee and when it was time to go I tipped the excess water out of my shoes and went back to work. They didn’t squelch too much and felt much cooler throughout the afternoon. I did wonder whether the water would make them fall to pieces, but they seemed to withstand the treatment quite well. In fact that particular pair of shoes has been in the fountain quite a few times now, and whilst the shine has gone off them, they’re still serviceable. A couple of years ago in London wearing boots in the summer I dunked my feet in the fountains in Trafalgar Square whilst I drank a much needed can of coke, and watched the bubbles coming out through the zips and around the top. Once again, it felt much cooler after I’d decanted the excess water, and the boots didn’t seem to take any hurt. You see teenagers splashing in the water with their clothes on, but maybe I’m getting a bit old for it. It’s fun though . . . .

Alexa

• 2 weeks later...

It was really hot here in the UK today and during my lunchtime wander through the city centre I looked longingly at the fountains. Unfortunately the water looked very scummy with litter floating in it and it didn't seem like a good idea to go paddling. Not even the youngsters were playing in it. Nothing for it but go back to the office and wait for a better day. I kicked my shoes off and walked around in bare feet on the carpet all afternoon. Alexa

• 3 weeks later...

Ouch, it seems like a lot of the members here have gotten their feet wet, whether it was by accident or on purpose. I on the other hand, try my very best to prevent my feet from ever getting wet. If there is any chance of precipitation or left over water from a previous day's rainstorm or if I know I am going anywhere near a body of water (ie - going on a cruise), I will make sure I have a pair of dressy, water resistant leather high heeled boots on. The only time my feet ever get damp is when I accidentally overdressed and wear my fur lined leather high heeled boots with thick socks and tights on a hot day. I might perspire a little bit but that is not from dirty rain water making me uncomfortable. The only thing bad about that is if my date tries to unzip my boots and finds that my pantyhose inside are damp from perspiration. That is embarrassing. Other then that, I stay dry if at all possible.

I try to stay dry too but sometimes, it rains unexpectedly. Especially out here in California where it rarely rains. It's cloudy for a number of days in the winter season, but hardly rain here. Quite a few times, I had to walk on wet pavement from work. Seldom, my shoes gets wet and rarely, I encounter big puddles. I tend to wear cheaper shoes though when I know it's going to rain. I wouldn't want to get my Chrisitan Louboudin shoes wet, lol.

Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but she did it backwards and in high heels. -- Faith Whittlesey

Yes, I wouldn't want to get wet wearing really expensive shoes. That would be quite tragic. With some of the cheaper ones, like the Pleaser brand that a few of us here seem to enjoy wearing, I don't mind though, because they're only pocket money prices. When I was young I was one of those teenagers whom you see playing in the fountains on hot days, and was usually the first in my group of friends to suggest it. Nowadays that doesn't happen, but I have a little paddle just for fun occasionally. Alexa

Karen, Alexa, you two sure live in different climates. One of you lives in one of the driest climates around, that being the golden state of perpetual sunshine. One of you lives in a place with plenty of precipitation. Karen, do you even have any waterproof shoes? Alexa, I am guessing you can wear flip flops on days when it rains, right?

Yes, I could wear flip flops, but I don't usually! I have a couple of pairs of those sandals with a strap that goes over the arch of your foot and a kind of ring for the big toes to go through, but I don't wear them often and last time I saw them they were gathering dust at the back iof the wardrobe. It certainly seems to rain a lot here in the British Isles, but over the last few years I've only got caught out in really heavy rain a very few times. Mostly I manage to avoid the puddles and I have a couple of umbrellas in the car too, so that keeps me out of trouble. Alexa

As for waterproof shoes, I don't have anything that can be completely waterproof. When it rains out, I'll wear boots. They keep my feet dry for the most part. There are times I get caught wearing pumps in the rain, but that's purely by chance. Crazy weather!!!

As for waterproof shoes, I don't have anything that can be completely waterproof. When it rains out, I'll wear boots. They keep my feet dry for the most part. There are times I get caught wearing pumps in the rain, but that's purely by chance. Crazy weather!!!

For most other girls in California though, isn't it sandals or flip flops regardless of whether it is rain or shine? That way, if they get wet, they can just quickly wipe themselves dry. I do know that the area north of the golden state rains a lot.

Yes, pretty much. It just depend on the girl. But we can technically wear flip flops all year long because of our reputation for warm, sunny climate throughout the seasons. It can be nice.

The sun was out this lunchtime as i went for my strut around the town centre, so I got a coffee and sat on the edge of the town square fountain to dangle my feet in the water. I took my shoes off though - I had my Bebe Lizas on and they're too good to get wet! I put them neatly on the parapet next to me whilst I sipped my drink and watched the world go by. As I was about to go, a young woman in a group of teenagers called out 'love your shoes, where did you get them?' I explained that they'd come from the US. She seemed very interested and had a closer look. It's chance interactions like this that really make me feel good. Silly, I know, but it gives me a little lift. Alexa

It is amazing how many people will notice what brands you are wearing even if the brand name is not extremely obvious on some products. Brands like Miss Sixty, Coach, Calvin Klein usually have a buckle or zipper accessory that denotes their brands but I know of many other brand names that do not clearly denote their brand, especially on footwear. I take it Bebe Liza's are easy to identify?

I don't think the Bebe Lizas are that distinctive, they're just a nice looking platform pump. I'm told they resemble YSL Tributes, but those are a bit outside my budget at the moment! I don't think this young woman recognised the brand, she just liked the look of them. I certainly notice peope checking out what shoes I'm wearing, and I check theirs out too. Alexa

How high is the platform on the Bebe Lizas? I have noticed a lot of manufacturers place their branding on the insole of the shoe which is only noticeable to the wearer. The current pair of boots I am wearing has no branding on the outside at all, only a small silver buckle ornament around the ankle which does not have the brand on it. Then again, I purchased these boots because they look elegant, they have good traction and because the fur lining provides excellent padding. Speaking of wet, there was some light rain this morning. When I parked my car at the office, I opened my car door and there was a big puddle waiting for me. I am so glad these boots are water resistant. If the fur lining inside as well as my wool socks and pantyhose got wet, I would be in for a very uncomfortable day at the office.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I go into the pool in my business suit, nylons and heels!!!!!

The only time I would voluntarily step in a pool of water is if I know that the boots I am wearing are waterproof and they are a little bit dirty. I would step in to get the dirt off. Otherwise, I try really prefer to stay dry.

If I step in a puddle and get wet on the way to work, it would be very uncomfortable to have to go the entire day with my boots, socks and pantyhose all wet.

• 9 months later...

Wow, I see I am late to this discussion but I also oddly find I enjoy getting my heels wet. Like most ladies here I always thought it was horrible. Then one day a couple of years ago it was pouring with rain (mid-June so you can guess it was England!) when I headed to work. It isn't far from my car to the office and having worn trainers to drive didn't actually have to change at that point but did... so my feet got quite damp in black tights and heels. I was really annoyed and spent most of the day just rambling around the office in just my tights to let my heels dry. At the end of the day my heels still weren't dry but I wore them back to the car, changed into the trainers and drove home. I have no idea why but when I got home I did what now seems to be the most insane thing ever. I filled a bowl with warm water, put my damp heels back on, sat in front of the telly and put both my feet in the bowl without removing my tights or heels. I just loved the sensation... kept slipping my feet in and out of the heels in the water. I know, weird gal. I am amazed to find there are some (ok, not many it seems) girls that also seem to enjoy it a bit... was amazed to find this discussion. Still quite self-concious about it and haven't told anyone else apart from my best friend... :)

Wow, I see I am late to this discussion but I also oddly find I enjoy getting my heels wet. Like most ladies here I always thought it was horrible. Then one day a couple of years ago it was pouring with rain (mid-June so you can guess it was England!) when I headed to work. It isn't far from my car to the office and having worn trainers to drive didn't actually have to change at that point but did... so my feet got quite damp in black tights and heels. I was really annoyed and spent most of the day just rambling around the office in just my tights to let my heels dry. At the end of the day my heels still weren't dry but I wore them back to the car, changed into the trainers and drove home.

I have no idea why but when I got home I did what now seems to be the most insane thing ever. I filled a bowl with warm water, put my damp heels back on, sat in front of the telly and put both my feet in the bowl without removing my tights or heels. I just loved the sensation... kept slipping my feet in and out of the heels in the water.

Interesting experience ...... since that wet day a couple of years ago, have you gotten your heels and tights wet again?

Hi Heidi, how are you? Yes I have got my feet wet many times. Still being self-concious about it though I tend to avoid doing it too obviously in public. Fortunately England tends to live up to its reputation and I can "accidentally" get caught in the rain quite a lot. :) We hadn't had much rain for the last few months but recently we've had some pretty heavy downpours (it's summer!) so being caught out in them has been quite easy. It's really strange to talk about and I feel weird talking about it here. I have talked to my best friend about it and she makes fun of me no end but that's what friends are for! I got her to get her heels wet once but once was all I managed! It doesn't appear you have ever got your heels wet... haven't you even by accident?

It seems like there are quite a few of us out there coming out of the woodwork. It must be quite a common thing because after all, on a hot day in any public fountain you quite often see teenagers and young kids playing in the water, complete with their clothes on. I used to be a bit of a water baby in this respect, but less so now I’m older. With friends, you sometimes just have to take the bull by the horns and drag them in with you. They usually enjoy it once you get them splashing around. A few weeks ago whilst walking round the shops in a major UK midlands city centre I managed to get a friend to come in a fountain with me. I was wearing ballet flats (no high heels that day sadly) and leggings and she had on skinny jeans and we both ended up soaked through to about mid-thigh. Especially for girls, you get a lot of pressure when you’re little to keep your clothes clean and neat, so there’s something about being naughty and breaking this taboo that’s always fun. Anyway, with dark clothes on it’s not that obvious to other people after you’ve stopped dripping, so by the time we’d had a coffee and shaken the excess water out of our shoes, we carried on shopping and felt much cooler. Yes, of course my friend thinks I’m weird, but I’m still a naughty teenager at heart.

Alexa