"high Heels Are Fine For Men" - Itv

Heelfan

On ITV's late morning programme (UK) at 11.45am today, I was delighted to see a feature on "high" heel fashion trends for men. Presented by Fern Britten, the feature started with shots of Sarcosi(?) the new French president wearing stacked heels for his current UK tour, followed by shots of celebrities Tom Cruise etc. also in raised heels. Then they returned to their TV studio with a guest male fashion guru holding up several examples of current boots and shoes from well-known stores - Aldo, Diesel etc. with heels up to about 2.5" (all normal male thickness heels and hardly tapered). Rather tame, you might say, but still a nationwide television plug in the right direction. Then they brought out several male models wearing further boots and similar shoes with "high" heels. Although again only up to 2.5", not bad considering they are all for the mainstream market. However, the best thing of all, was when presenter Fern Britten wrapped up the feature by summarising "HIGH HEELS ARE FINE FOR MEN!" !!!! Is that remark cool, or what? Cheers, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

Can we really dare to hope?

I certainly don't see why we shouldn't dare to hope. Mainstream high heel fashions for men have happened before, and no, I'm not talking about 300 years ago!

The early 1970s saw the male street fashion for flared trousers and platform shoes with heels up to 4" or more for streetwear (and up to 12" or more for Elton John and other rock personalities on stage.

Then eighties saw Beatle-Boots becoming popular streetwear with no platform and somewhat slimmer cuban heels up to about 4". The Beatles, Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, Tom Jones and many other celebrities popularised these heels, which also appeared on stylish shoes from Shelley, Mr. Henry and other trendy London shoe stores.

If it's happened twice within my own lifetime, it's bound to come round again, and with todays more tolerant and unisex attitudes, maybe the mainstream male fashion wll embrace even higher and slimmer heels this time around.

Cheers, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

My memory dates Beatle Boots in the 1960's rather than the 80's, in fact I can't recall high heels for men since the late 1970's. I got married in 2" (5cm) cuban Heels in 1979. But my memory is not up to a lot nowdays so I am willing to be corrected. However this is promising, thank you for letting us know about the program.

Last night me and the wife were out in London, and I chose to wear 4" high heel stiletto boots under a pair of fairly tight fitting jeans. We started the evening in Oxford Street for a lil bit of late shopping, moved onto a Starbucks for a couple of coffees, and finished in a bar to just be part of the scenery. We walked around quite a bit for the evening, got no hassle, no snide comments or anything. I did enjoy walking past a table of young ladies in the bar. Going past them one obviously noticed 'cos on the way back they all watched, mostly with nice smiles, not the piss-taking variety. Of course, I walked as slowly as I could once I realised I was being watched and gave it my full catwalk strutt :cool1: All in all, a very nice evening out ;)

It's my opinion, no more, no less :wave:

nice one !! I did 4.5" heels in oxford st with soulmate on tuesday with brown nails and blue eyeshadow. The guy who owns our favourite restaurant (afterwards) asked how long i 'd been c/ding, not in a dissing way, cos he'd done nails too, and we talked openly about it - the answer is 35 years incidentally... well for heels anyway. Nobody seemed to be negative, so please go ahead!!!! When heels come back, which they must do as fashion is cyclical, we can just go higher....

Correction Dr. Shoe: As late as last month in London Bridge and Greenwich, as witnessed by me and Crotch-in-Boots you were still wearing 4" cowboy boots! (oh no sorry, they were your newish 4.3" cowboy boots!) Cheers, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

Thanks for telling us about that Heelfan. I don't suppose you or anyone else recorded it? I, myself, have some 2.5" YSL men’s boots which I really enjoy wearing. But they are a little to high (and expensive) to wear all the time. I'd like to be able to buy other shoes/boots with a range of heights from 1.5 to 2.5 at a more affordable price. I was in Aldo with my lady a few days ago, and did also look at the men’s shoes and boots, but didn't see anything with a heel over 1". Hopefully what you say they showed on that program will arrive in the stores in the next few months. And if they do, all of us need to buy them and support them. If they sell well, they will introduce more styles. And if the higher ones sell the most they are bound to try introducing even higher ones. And the more these "lower heels" are worn on the streets, the easier it will make it for you more extreme heelers. If anyone spots any of these new mens heels in the shops, please post here - ideally in the For Everyone forum where even the non-heelers will see the posts. Also post them on any men's style/fashion forums you may know of. Spread the word!

... I'd like to be able to buy other shoes/boots with a range of heights from 1.5 to 2.5 at a more affordable price. ...

If anyone spots any of these new mens heels in the shops, please post here - ideally in the For Everyone forum where even the non-heelers will see the posts. ...

Rob is already aware of my posting re cuban heeled boots at http://www.hhplace.org/discuss/everybody/10499-cuban_adventure.html#post158965

In addition to the brands mentioned, quite a few retailers are advertising boots (and a few shoes) with a 'cuban heel' but the heels on many of these are really no higher or tapered than on a normal 'flat' men's shoe. Inspection recommended!

However, Faith has in stock some rather nice zip-sided ankle boots (black, white or pewter) rather similar to those in my avatar but with a very pointed toe and a lower cuban heel (about 1.75"). Very soft leather (although that may result in creasing at the toe etc), easy to get on and off and comfortable; I am very tempted! Go to http://www.faith.co.uk/productdetails.aspx?pid=860700&language=en-GB&cid=501 for details and, if ordering online, quote code FL0708 for a 15% discount.

Schuh has some cuban heeled boots too; I saw some there by (I think) Jeffrey West at about £110 that were very wearable; heel no more than 2".

posted in Saturday sun newspaper (5 April 2008) page23 Height of Fashion Sales of men's high-heeled shoes have soared after France's 5ft 5in President Nicolas Sarkozy wore a pair in Britian.

life is not a rehearsal

Faith has in stock some rather nice zip-sided ankle boots (black, white or pewter) rather similar to those in my avatar but with a very pointed toe and a lower cuban heel (about 1.75"). Very soft leather (although that may result in creasing at the toe etc), easy to get on and off and comfortable; I am very tempted! Go to http://www.faith.co.uk/productdetails.aspx?pid=860700&language=en-GB&cid=501 for details and, if ordering online, quote code FL0708 for a 15% discount.

Schuh has some cuban heeled boots too; I saw some there by (I think) Jeffrey West at about £110 that were very wearable; heel no more than 2".

Hi Puffer,

We were at Bluewater this afternoon and, as usual, visited nearly every shoe shop!

I saw and actually tried on the Faith men’s Xinkle boot that you link to. I didn't like the pointedness of the toe - I didn't think they looked right sticking out from under my jeans. My lady thought the toe shape was OK, but didn't like the way the toes pointed up.

In Schuh I also came across two different men’s heeled boots;

the Jeffrey West boots that you mention, and some cheaper "Cuban High" boots. As it was ten to five (10 mins to closing) I didn't have time to try either on. But, both had heels that looked a little higher than the Faith boots - maybe around 2 inches. I'll have to go back next weekend and try on.

So that's at least three pairs of men’s heeled boots on the UK high street already! As I've said before, we all need to do our bit to help push this trend in to the mainstream. If these styles don't sell, they will withdraw them and not put anymore heeled boots out. So buy some of them - I'll be buying at least one of the above.

... I saw and actually tried on the Faith men’s Xinkle boot that you link to. I didn't like the pointedness of the toe - I didn't think they looked right sticking out from under my jeans. My lady thought the toe shape was OK, but didn't like the way the toes pointed up. ...

I agree that the very pointed toe on this boot is not to everyone's taste, but I like it - if only because I admired and occasionally wore similar styles in the early/mid-60s and it's great to see them back at last! The upward-curve in the toe is presumably to make them easier to walk in and looks less obvious when the boot is worn, whether standing or walking. I have a pair of rather similar Hudson boots which have this feature and I certainly don't find it a distraction or uncomfortable.

The heels on the cheaper 'Cuban high' boots at Schuh are, I think, no higher than those on the Faith Xinkles, about 1.75". The Jeffrey West boots are certainly at least 2" and may induce a nosebleed :o . Hard luck that you have to return to Bluewater, Rob; are you sure you can stand the excitement of two trips in a week or so? :roll:

Came across these today: >> eBay size 8 <<

Look fairly masculine to me, though the heel is a little high for a man's shoe at 93mm. Not sure myself, but maybe I'll be tempted later? :roll:

we are slightly hijacking the thread... but i would snap those boots up straight away if they were my size and is on ebay australia.....

Originally Posted by fastfreddy2 Posted Image

Look fairly masculine to me, though the heel is a little high for a man's shoe at 93mm. Not sure myself, but maybe I'll be tempted later? :roll:

Isn't that the objective to wearing more masculine styles of women's heels so that those of us having "timid thoughts" can wear less obvious high heels in public?

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Fastfreddy2 I have a pair very close to those and I wear them to work usully 2 - 3 times a week and I have had only one comment and that was from one of my fellow programmers who asked the first day I wore them are those new boots and I said yes and he said I like em and that was it since no comments at all.

I think it's far easier to "get away" with wearing boots than any other style, because there are so many that ride the line, it leaves more choices open to us. Same goes for the slightly thicker heeled shoes as well.

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

Isn't that the objective to wearing more masculine styles of women's heels so that those of us having "timid thoughts" can wear less obvious high heels in public?

Yes, but this style comes 'at a price', and sometimes it seems that price might be a tad high? Boots with a 2" blade heel were seen today in Shoe Zone for £13. [iIRC.]

As a personal challenge to myself, I spent 4-6 hours last night trying to find an inexpensive source of this style of boots in the UK. And failed. Even in the US, they're typically over $150, I can now tell you. :o Add shipping and VAT, the cost is prohibitive.

P.S.

While reading up on some old posts (searched for Emery) I came across these:

http://www.famousfootwear.com/product.asp?product_id=1013397&variant_id=51448

http://www.famousfootwear.com/product.asp?product_id=1012829&variant_id=51471

http://www.famousfootwear.com/product.asp?product_id=1012766&variant_id=51160

UK residents, please note prices.... :roll:

fastfreddy2... The last picture of the boots looks exactly like a pair I wear to work. After initial comments when I first wore them, I've heard no remarks since, except for a few complements from both men and women.

fastfreddy2...

The last picture of the boots looks exactly like a pair I wear to work. After initial comments when I first wore them, I've heard no remarks since, except for a few complements from both men and women.

I'm definitely leaning towards a pair of womans 'sensible' heel boots for everywhere I don't wear higher heels. :o And I quite like the ones you wear.

I'm sure I've read more than once, that podiatrists recommend 1 1/2" to 2" heels for best spinal posture? Do I need a better reason to wear them? :roll:

FF,

Get yourself a pair of "sensible" heels. Its what I wear. Two bonuses with them. Firstly, Ladies don't see them as sexy precisely because they are "sensible" so you are not invading their territory, so to speak, and thus you probably will be viewed as being fashionable. Secondly, because the heel isn't nearly as slim (as most of us on here would like to wear) and rubber shod they are quieter and just seem to blend in far more easily. As they do blend more easily, then you feel more comfortable. The more comfortable you feel the less vibes people around you sense and so on, a kind of reverse Catch-22. 7-8cm is my ideal height with a masculine emphasis on the toebox. Next (if you have eu43 or smaller) have a good pair on their website at the moment. With minor variations, they appear season after season and so are firmly in the "sensible" category. You can always find lots of sensible Essence brand (Evans) on Ebay. Ankle boots, not courts and then you are just following the "Sarkosy" effect.

Simon.

Are you confusing me with someone who gives a damn?

FF,

Get yourself a pair of "sensible" heels.

The more comfortable you feel the less vibes people around you sense and so on, a kind of reverse Catch-22. 7-8cm is my ideal height with a masculine emphasis on the toebox. Next (if you have eu43 or smaller) have a good pair on their website at the moment. With minor variations, they appear season after season and so are firmly in the "sensible" category. You can always find lots of sensible Essence brand (Evans) on Ebay. Ankle boots, not courts and then you are just following the "Sarkosy" effect.

Simon.

When away from my own locale, I'm not overly bothered what people (I don't know/will never meet) think when they see me. As long as I'm left alone to get on with it, I'm happy. [Living in FreddyWorld.] I've had a couple of smiles (men and women) and one or two stiffled smirks, but other than that, I've had a pretty easy ride of it so far. If anything, I'm over-confident.

Monday pm I walked around Northampton town centre wearing my wedges, amongst many people including hordes of teenagers loitering in the High Street with apparently little else to do ..... Yesterday, I had to leave my wedges at home when I went to Luton, because I didn't have time to walk slowly around the Arndale there. If they were in the car, I would have worn them, time or no time available..... Didn't stop me trying on some shoes in Faith, that I would have bought :o if they didn't feel a size smaller than indicated. [i could wear them, but not for long. Looked lovely though.] And this I did in a shop where my last visit wasn't as pleasant as I would have preferred. <ignored by sales staff.> But I wasn't too shy to go back and have another go. :wink: And it went much better this time!

Anyway .... Next >> low heeled boots << These the ones :roll:

If so, they're a bit pricey for me.... at £45 for boots I'm not that keen on, especially as they come in a wide fitting, which I don't need. :-?

These are more "me", not that I expect to own a pair.

I have had a look around though;

eBay item 1 << 'As new'

eBay item 2 << Pre-owned 1 <seller of item 1 and 2 'could' be one of us :wink:>

eBay item 3 << Pre-owned 2

I've also "window shopped" about $300 worth from the US. This includes 2 pairs of (apparently) well made 'sensible' shoes. 1 pair of Nine West not so sensible block heels with masculine toe box, and the mandatory pair with 5" heels.:D

The project is something of a 'work-in-progress' ..... :cup:

Love both of these pairs from NEXT, wonder if they will fit me?

I have a pair of the Next ankle boots in size 9W. £20 in the sale last year. I'm at the small end of 9 and so don't really need the wide fitting in these and might have even done well with an 8 but they didn't have either of these. The 9W are fine but I tend to use thicker socks or a thin insole. So if you're a largish 9 they'll be fine.

Anyway .... Next >> low heeled boots << These the ones :roll:

If so, they're a bit pricey for me.... at £45 for boots I'm not that keen on, especially as they come in a wide fitting, which I don't need. :o

Hey I actually have this exact pair of boots, in the ankle boot version. I paid £45 for them sometime before Christmas. They are actually my main pair of shoes and I wear them pretty much everywhere. They are really comfortable to wear all day. They also last well, the heels on mine still look as good as new. You can also get them in regular fitting as well, but I can definately recommend these boots.