Best laid plans ...... [Lakeside visit]

fastfreddy2

Had planned to be at Lakeside for 10am today (Tuesday), and arrived at 4.30pm.

Had some unplanned personal stuff to deal with, and an order to complete I had forgotten about. :cool1:

Went with the wife, and I wore my wedges the whole time there. I thought 3 hours shopping would be adequate (being an hour past my normal 'interest' limit), believing the place closed at 8pm, then found it shut at 10pm. [Duh.]

Forgetting a 10 minute walk around a Tesco store in Stevenage yesterday (Sunday), it's been a week since I've spent any time in heels, and a week since I've worn them in public too. It showed.

We'd gone into Debenhams to look for more Sale shoes, having had such a successful visit to the West End store last week. Compared to the stock seen only 8 days ago, this store had none. Worse, I had to be left alone for only a few minutes, but it felt like every shop assistant was aware of my heels. [On reflection, I was completely mistaken. Refer to return visit later.]

We went into New Look, again hoping to find the remnants of the winter Sale shoes, and found none suitable at all. [There had been quite a range at Luton earlier in the week.]

I was quickly getting despondent.

We retired to M+S for coffee and a snack. Not very glamorous, but their coffee is actually worth paying for. :wave: We sat in a very well lit area, my heels there for anyone to see. As before, they are practically invisible when I stand, but when seated they are unavoidable. There was a burst of laughter from behind the food-prep area, but that could have been about anything. With no adverse reaction anywhere, my confidence rose.

We popped in and out of shops including Aldo's until we got to the other end of the mall, and House of Fraser. We went inside where I found some £300 Diesel boots to ogle. While there, I tried on some Nine West 'sale' boots (size 7) reduced from £135 to £65. They fitted, but I must have had something in the boot with my hose, as it felt like something was sticking in my foot. (?) My wife was acutely embarrassed watching me, so moved off. Not wishing to upset her, I discarded the boots and followed.

We walked back towards Debenhams on the ground floor, again stopping at many shops. We spent perhaps 20-25 minutes in one called Vestry. I had to sit and hold (her) bag/coat + 2nd coat (mine), while a couple of items were tried on. [They don't do refunds, so you have to get it right; 'first time'.] While there at least two assistants must have seen my heels as I was sat in front of them. As did at least one chav, sponsoring his girlfriends purchase of a particularly tight number around her rotund shape, who had to spend 10 minutes next to me with only the floor and my heels to look at......

Having done the rounds, and discovered the 10pm close, I elected to try on some shoes. Two pairs from Aldo, and if they had my size, the Diesel boots in H-O-F. About this time, I realised I'd once again become completely comfortable wearing my ankle boots..... We don't know if my (tired) walk gave the game away, but shortly after that thought occurred and over the next 20 minutes, my heels were spotted a number of times.

Unbelievably, the centre actually got busier after 7pm. There were many more teenagers, as well as adults arriving. While navigating some of them, a female cleaner looked at my heels. Another shopper stared at them as we walked past, and I fully expected her to tell her friend who hadn't looked. When they were 20 yards away, they were seen/heard to laugh for an instant though neither looked back. Lastly I walked right across the line of sight of an elderly chap with a walking stick, resting on a bench. He looked up, I said "Alright" and he smiled while nodding.

Once back in H-O-F I walked up to the assistant and asked if she had a size 8 in th Diesel boot for me to try. She did, and she left to get a pair. On her return I asked for the right boot, as my left foot is the smaller of the two. My foot went into the boot, but I couldn't do up the zip! I declined the temptation to pull too hard. The assistant walked over and asked if I needed help. I said the zip didn't want to do up, and I wasn't going to tempt fate by risking damage to a £300 pair of boots. She seemed surprised at my reluctance, but took the boot off me anyway. [bless her.] Once I had dressed my foot, we left. As we walked off, I noticed the lady who had helped me had been joined by a younger assistant, and they were plainly talking about me. That, or they were talking about the weather while they both watched me walk off.

Unfortunately, my wife who isn't comfortable with this situation anyway, also saw the conversation......

When we arrived at Aldo, it was suggested I go in alone. I waited until the shop was empty, and gently coaxed her inside. [Possibly a mistake.] I walked up to a younger girl assistant and asked to try on some woman's shoes. [Her face scarlet before I spoke BTW.] No problem was the reply, which ones and what size? I pointed out the mules I'd seen elsewhere, and some black patent courts [that looked like these] with a higher heel than some of the others there.

Minutes later I got to try on the courts. Fitted really well, but were a bit tight on the toes. [Just like Pleasers.] But I walked around the (empty) shop in them, showing off my heeling prowess. Not sure how many shoppers walking past saw .... but wearing those courts was quite a pleasant experience.

The mules were a different matter. Because my feet were hot and a little damp, [five hours walking in ankle boots], I couldn't get the mules on. I tried using a hose ankle sock which allowed my foot in, but then made my foot so loose it fell straight out of the shoe again. I did successfully remove the socks from both feet while wearing the mules, but it took what seemed like too long to do. By the time I finished, I was scarlet faced. [The assistant had long since gone back to her natural skin colour.] The mules were comfortable, but the left shoe kept skewing sideways for some reason. I didn't buy either pairs, and the assistant looked as disappointed as I did. [i've no reason to suspect there was Sales Commission lost.]

As we walked away, my wife remarked she was getting even more uncomfortable with watching me try woman's shoes on, and I had to agree I wasn't happy in these circumstances either. I don't mind trying on shoes if left alone, but I'm unhappy with someone watching over me while I decide. [i'll be making further comment on the "Do you try shoes on?" thread later.] On balance, I've decided I'm not trying on shoes in shops again. It doesn't work for me, as I like to try on shoes with both hot and cool feet, and I also like to wear them for 10 or so minutes <at least> to assess how suitable they are. Trying on shoes in the shop has the potential to embarrass others too, so unless I have a desperate need to try some on, I'll not be doing it again.

When we left the shop it was almost 9.45pm. We were both weary, and ready to leave. We went into Debenhams for the second time, the car being parked outside, and herself wanting to have a look for something in the Jane Norman concession there.

Five and a half hours earlier I had entered the shop a little afraid of my own shadow. This time, not only wasn't I bothered about wandering around on my own, I actually walked past a number of assistants uncaring to whether they noticed my footwear or not. Which they didn't anyway....

In conclusion, I'd say I'm obviously more comfortable with a situation I'm acclimatised to. It remains to be seen if 'frequency' makes me less apprehensive. I've done Oxford Street a couple of times, the second visit wearing stiletto heels for some of the expedition. That place holds no fears for me whatever I have on my feet. Lakeside? Jury is still out. ;)

If you've read the whole account, thanks for your patience.

Thanks for an in-depth report FF, it was worth reading through, for the positive and negative feelings you felt on your adventure. Great post.

He was so narrow minded he could see through a keyhole with both eyes.

Brown's Law: If the shoe fits, it's ugly

Freddy... Thank you for sharing that story with us. Although maybe not a 100% happy experience, you did learn something valuable and important from this outing. Run with this experience and I wish you all the best of luck on yours and Mrs. Freddy's future outings.;)

Thanks for sharing Fastfreddy2. That was one day you will never forget. Sorry everything didn't go smoothly but don't let it get you down. We all have those days. My wife is sometimes uncomfortable also but she is learning to have fun with it. For the most part, she encourages me to wear heels so I can be a little taller than her and simply because she likes my taste in heels. Don't give up on your SO. Take it slow and you WILL have days when she will hear comments that are positive and hopefully that will encourage her a little more. Keep on heeling bro!

real men wear heels