why so high?

lorriette

I have been watching people latterly and have noticed that most women when sitting pass one leg over the other, and that thier foot tends to point straight down. Most men sitting that way have thier leg at about 3o' below horizontal, with the foot at about45'. This would seem to indicate womens ability to wear heels is natural, whereas most men have to make a special effort. That said, the majority of women seem happy in heels between2.5" and 4", roughly corresponding to 3" and 5" in mens sizes. The question i ask is; why do most men think/ try to wear heels in excess of 5"?.

totter along into history

May be it's like why the climber climbs the mountain, because it's there. Just give me the choice. If I find that the higher heels aren't my cup of tea or that I will only wear them at certain times, it is my choice. As for now, I like the feel of the higher stilettoes as I walk. So my feet don't slope down naturally. I still walk all right, maybe not as graceful as some women, but then you see I still have room for improvement.

I wear 4" heels all the time and have recently got some 6" ones with 1" platforms (see my post "what a surprise at teatime") but i cant do 5" heels for shopping but only for best. Mind you, ive got only size 7 feet - and i think this is the key. Most gents here have longer feet, so the angle in a size 9 / 10 as a 5" heel is no greater than a 4" heel on smaller shoes....

I think most of us just aspire too be as proficient in heels as women are!!! Too see a woman that is comfortable and proficient in high heels is a sight to behold, too find one that is willing too push the boundaries is heaven!!!!

Now that you brought it up, I have seen women sit on the floor with knees bent and feet easily flat on the floor when it's difficult for me to to that. My ankles just are no as flexible as most women's are.

real men wear heels

lorriette: You bring up a good question. I hope you do not mind, I did a little re-word on the title to this thread -- I inserted the word "so". Personally, about 4.5" is as high as I go if I'm leaving the house -- on my size 12 (USW) clod-hoppers that's pretty reasonable. I'll go higher indoors but not for long -- it just is not comfortable. I think the allure of the extreme heels is the challenge. If you can handle 4.5", you want to try 5". Once you get the hang of 5", 5.5" beckons. Then 6, then 6.5 and so on.

Have a happy time!

I think higher heels say "HEY LOOK AT ME!!!!". I feel that higher heels means standing above others, plus I think it is also for the challenge and thrill of wearing shoes that others feel they are unable to wear or walk in.

What ya see is what ya get no more or less!!

There may several dynamics at work here. First, the feel or look of high heels is appealing, which is why we (collectively) are drawn to them. In general, higher heels further increase this attraction. Outside this board, many women wear heels not because they particularly enjoy them, but because they are part of professional or societal norms and expected. Therefore, they wear the lowest heel they can while still meeting these demands, whether real or merely their perception. Given the choice, I believe many women would advocate that society accept lower or no heels with the same voracity that men here advocate that they be socially accepted in high heels. But, here in the forums, you have a statistically unbalanced cross section of society. We all share some love for high heels in one way or the other, which is why we are here. So, men here at HHPlace strive for higher heels because we/they have a unique desire to wear heels – that’s why we are here.

Second, maybe, once men discover wearing heels and their desire to do so, it’s logical to try and be the best you can at wearing heels - we all strive to do our best in everything. One measure of competence in heels is heel height. The higher the better. As to the difference with women, this may simply be an overly competitive male instinct, but there are also a fair share of women on this board that also strive for 5” or higher heels and express a desire to either wear higher heels or wear heels longer.

Now that you brought it up, I have seen women sit on the floor with knees bent and feet easily flat on the floor when it's difficult for me to to that. My ankles just are no as flexible as most women's are.

What about the image attached?

This is a brazilian actress called Claudia Raia, famous for her shoe taste.

The image is the cover of an old Long Play of the sound track of a brazilian soup opera.

Look at her feet and see how she can sit in that manner and touch both the heel and point of the shoe on the floor at the same time.

I doubt I can make it barefoot ;)

post-1974-133522854473_thumb.jpg

Flavio - Brazilian heel lover, now in France.

The image is the cover of an old Long Play of the sound track of a brazilian soup opera.

Look at her feet and see how she can sit in that manner and touch both the heel and point of the shoe on the floor at the same time.

Exactly what I'm talking about.

real men wear heels

Re: Claudia Raia. I just tried to copy her pose and managed it fine wearing shoes of a similar height in relation to the shoe size (size 7 uk 5" heels and 0.5" platform). It's not the most comfortable of poses but not too bad. I think that my girlfriend could sit like that for hours, so there is definately a difference somewhere.

I think it has to do with the way we are built women are more flexable down there because the ability to give birth. It is the same thing about splits women can do it men can't. As for heel height I prefer 3" to 4" but would love to own a pair of Pleaser 5" pumps just to have them.

I have no problem sitting like that. Just tried it :-)

It's the hooker stigma. Most women think of heels higher than 4" as heels only worn by prostitutes or strippers, and don't want to be associated with that. When it comes to men there is no precedent, and no such stigma.

With men, I don't think it's so much that there's no precedent as that we tend to like that look. After all, if the hooker look DIDN'T attract guys, the hookers would quickly change attire, or go out of business.

Guys like the stripper/hooker heels look, and with most guys who enjoy wearing heels, there is a definite sexual/fetish aspect to it for them. They like the way it looks on women. They like the way it feels being around women in them. If that type of guy wants to wear heels, he's going to want to see what it feels like to wear the hooker/stripper heels, himself. He wants to know what that intensely sexual feeling is like from the other side.

thanks for all the input guys, you seem to find the same answers as i did. I would like to go higher, simply for the visual aspect, but accept my limitations at this time, and prefer to look capable, as opposed to stupid. Good luck to those of you who have, or, have practiced, to gain the flexibility most women have as standard, even if they can't or don't use it.

totter along into history

The 4 and 5 inch heels look sexy. When I wear 4 and 5 inch heels, I feel sexy. I'm just comfortable in 4 and 5 inch heels. When I wear 3 inch heels (like the boots I wear into work) I don't even feel like I'm wearing high heels. Women who see me wearing 5 inch heels have said, That's a pretty shoe, but I can't wear anything with that high of a heel.;)

Women who see me wearing 5 inch heels have said, That's a pretty shoe, but I can't wear anything with that high of a heel.;)

Exactly. Some women aren't flexible. There's no anatomoical difference in the ankle joint between male and female. Flexibility is due to practice and stretching. Many more women have the reason and opportunity to practice hence you'll see many more women who have developed that flexibility. But it's wrong to conclude from that evidence that there is an antomical difference betewwen the sexes.

I, and I thing most females would agree, we wear them cause we want to or like them. It's more fashion and function. The riske' and crazy heels are more fetish thans function.

Does anyone ever Email anymore? Send me one! I like to chat!

initially i went for height and the stripper heels thinking if i only own 1 pair it might as well be the highest possible.... now, i'm completely in it for the fashion and have sucked into many pairs which may not be as high (or even really low heels) but love the style and fashion of it all.....

I am the same - I started by wearing platforms at home just because they made me feel confident and sexy, but I now am obsessed with heels of all shapes and sizes, and I am definately in it for the fashion, at least with my 6" and under heels.

I, and I thing most females would agree, we wear them cause we want to or like them. It's more fashion and function.

The riske' and crazy heels are more fetish thans function.

I agree with the first part of the quote, but not entirely with the second part.

Most business women I see who dress in heels daily do wear heels 2" to maybe 3 or 3 1/2" high, and they coordinate with their business attire. They look professional, comfortable, yet very beautiful.

I don't think the higher heels worn by either men or women is necessarily "fetish." I, for instance, have a very high arch in my feet. I think that's why I have always felt comfortable wearing high heels. I've talked to some women who have the same condition I have and those women say the higher the better and for more comfort. I now wear the higher heels because I do like the feel, but I think they are a little prettier and sexier than the lower high heels. But in my case, I coordinate my outfits with the high heels but not for "fetish" purposes. Yes I agree, wearing the higher, more feminine high heels is riske', but it is always exciting and I feel good about myself when I wear them.;)

roni - i do like the higher heels too and feel great in them as well.... i suppose i think i just love heels in general as fashion and see a place for the higher and lower heels..... also, the possibility of me wearing the lower heels out in public is higher (if that made sense) and thus i like a wide variety in my collection to fit my mood and how brave i was on the day ;)

• 1 month later...

there are also a fair share of women on this board that also strive for 5” or higher heels and express a desire to either wear higher heels or wear heels longer.

Thanks for your help with that Brit xx

As a non-fetish "high-heeler" I don't have any interest in anything above 3" as it quickly becomes uncomfortable. I like the 2.5-3" heels because they seem to improve my stature and simply feel very natural.

But hey, that's just me.

Same here although my limits are a little higher. Top range for me is 4", all-day use is 3 1/2".

If it is not comfortable I don't use it.

What's all the fuss about?

Possibly because once you get above a size 8 UK your choices of heels are fairly limited. Above a 10 UK and as far as I'm aware you're pretty much left with fetish shops as a source of high heels, most of which will be 5" plus because they're fetish shoes. There are probably quite a few people who just like the higher heels, but I'm sure for some it must be size related. Not to mention the fact that a 4" heel on a size 10 UK shoe will feel lower than the same heel on a size 7 UK, so you'd need a higher heel to achieve the same angle. I almost exclusively buy from high street shops, so most of mine are 4" - 5".