Is Society Being More Tolerant?

johnieheel

Is Society Being More Tolerant Of Men In Heels?  

278 members have voted

1. 1. Is Society Being More Tolerant Of Men In Heels?

well as I see it, its really NONE of anyone's bussiness WHAT you like to wear on your feet, much less what THEY might think about it-one way or the other- being as people are not mind readers, who even CARES what someone MIGHT think about it when they see you! they either like or they don't like it, or maybe dont even care themselves, the point being is just this: if a man (like any of us in here for example) didnt ASK someone "do you like my footwear?" & IF they dont say anything to you ABOUT the fact that you are wearing heels as a man, then it could never matter @ all that you DO!:)

well as I see it, its really NONE of anyone's business WHAT you like to wear on your feet, much less what THEY might think about it-one way or the other- being as people are not mind readers, who even CARES what someone MIGHT think about it when they see you! they either like or they don't like it, or maybe don't even care themselves, the point being is just this: if a man (like any of us in here for example) didn't ASK someone "do you like my footwear?" & IF they don't say anything to you ABOUT the fact that you are wearing heels as a man, then it could never matter @ all that you DO!:)

While your comment is, in the final analysis, correct to the point, first impressions are built upon appearance. And, in some cases when seeing someone for the first time, the way they look says "all they want to know" about you. In that case, even without outwardly reacting negatively, their mind's eye has already rejected you because of your non-conformity.

Should you wish to interact with such people for business purposes, etc., the only hope is to get beyond the appearance to a point where they discover the underlying personality and abilities and "overlook" first appearances.

While the chances that you will ever encounter any of these people again, either in passing or professionally, are extremely rare, they will remember you if they do ever see you again. :)

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

"While the chances that you will ever encounter any of these people again, either in passing or professionally, are extremely rare, they will remember you if they do ever see you again. " While most people don't give a reaction, we do make an impression.

Should you wish to interact with such people for business purposes, etc., the only hope is to get beyond the appearance to a point where they discover the underlying personality and abilities and "overlook" first appearances. I put interacting with the clerks in the various stores I frequent into this category. I go out of my way to be "that guy in boots that says nice things to me and complements my appearance". Perole remember that as mych (more actually) than my boots.

I guess the bottom line is if your wearing heels, try to not be a jerk the people seeing you already have a steriotyped image... try to not reinforce it.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

I guess the bottom line is if your wearing heels, try to not be a jerk the people seeing you already have a steriotyped image... try to not reinforce it.

Amen to that!

While it's one thing being remembered as the "guy wearing high heels" that's not quite as bad as being remembered as "the jerk wearing high heels!"

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.tomreblblog.blogspot.com/http://www.tomreblblog.blogspot.com/

I hope the link works here? if it works you will be able to enjoy a fashions show of mens fashions from TOMREBL.COM At the end you will also see a guy wearing what I think must be 4 1/2 to 5" gold high heels, this show is fablous.

I also feel it's time to end gender based clothing that men should have the same fashion rights as the woman have enjoyed for 60 years. Equality in Fashion!

The show shows that you can’t just put on a pair of high heels and “look good”. You have to practice walking in them before you “look good”. The guy at the end of the show need practice. Although that audience is not a good gauge of tolerance ( I think they would accept anything) it is interesting to watch their reactions.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

http://www.tomreblblog.blogspot.com/http://www.tomreblblog.blogspot.com/

I hope the link works here? if it works you will be able to enjoy a fashions show of mens fashions from TOMREBL.COM At the end you will also see a guy wearing what I think must be 4 1/2 to 5" gold high heels, this show is fablous.

I think the peoples reactions were great and exciting. :)

real men wear heels

I watched the whole video, albeit without audio, and found the designs displayed definitely pushing the envelope as far as I've seen it in such venues. Some designs, like the guy in a jacket with his junk clearly evident under the exposed blue under wear, will never see the street. However, if even a fraction of these designs are widely worn then fashion freedom for men will have opened a new chapter. HappyinHeels

I watched the whole video, albeit without audio, and found the designs displayed definitely pushing the envelope as far as I've seen it in such venues. Some designs, like the guy in a jacket with his junk clearly evident under the exposed blue under wear, will never see the street. However, if even a fraction of these designs are widely worn then fashion freedom for men will have opened a new chapter.

HappyinHeels

Oh I pray so Happyinheels

I also feel it's time to end gender based clothing that men should have the same fashion rights as the woman have enjoyed for 60 years. Equality in Fashion!

• 4 months later...

I have no idea how if society is getting more or less tolerant here in the Netherlands towards heeling. I have not yet been about and about on heels. Maby some off the other Dutch folks can answers this?

In the process of becoming the person I always was...but didn't dare to let her come out

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I have no idea how if society is getting more or less tolerant here in the Netherlands towards heeling.

I have not yet been about and about on heels.

Maby some off the other Dutch folks can answers this?

The heels in your avatar can be worn on a daily basis in The Netherlands in public (large city and small villages alike), at work, shopping, dining, etc. without any derision.

Is this more tolerant than, say, 10 years ago? I wouldn't know; I didn't wear heels back then.

• 2 weeks later...

At least in my area, I feel that it is very well tolerated. I think it may have something to do with me though. I get compliments from both sexes, and I know the local grapevine does buzz with the guy who wears stilettos.

• Like 1

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

At least in my area, I feel that it is very well tolerated. I think it may have something to do with me though. I get compliments from both sexes, and I know the local grapevine does buzz with the guy who wears stilettos.

That goes for my area, too. But most of the possitive comments still come from women.

I heard a news item on NPR's Morning Edition today that describes how some cultures are "Tighter" and some are "Looser". I don't know if they specifically surveyed heeling, but the article presents an interesting perspective.

Transcript

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm! Interesting article. I would imagine that in countries with so-called "tighter" cultures, high heel wearing men would be greatly frowned upon. But that's just my opinion.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Hmm! Interesting article. I would imagine that in countries with so-called "tighter" cultures, high heel wearing men would be greatly frowned upon. But that's just my opinion.

I'm sure you are correct. in some of the "tighter" cultures, there may even be laws against any type of "cross-dressing," so to speak. I mean that, cross-dressing, aimed at both men and women in those countries and cultures.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a general feeling about fashion : it seems that women recently prefer "pretty" shoes with bows, thinner shoes, etc. Not only the heel make the difference with male shoes. Even regular pumps seems not to be "girlie" enough. That was different a few years ago with all the "ugly" block heels shoes. that might be a window for men to take the block heels (and all the heeled shoes that have not these "pretty" add ons, as the heel is not anymore a mark of feminity by itself.

Just a general feeling about fashion : it seems that women recently prefer "pretty" shoes with bows, thinner shoes, etc. Not only the heel make the difference with male shoes. Even regular pumps seems not to be "girlie" enough. That was different a few years ago with all the "ugly" block heels shoes.

that might be a window for men to take the block heels (and all the heeled shoes that have not these "pretty" add ons, as the heel is not anymore a mark of feminity by itself.

I was impatient and took the block heels a few years ago even though the girls were wearing them. Because of their neutrality, block heels can easily be worn by either sex IMHO.

Charlie

Everything I say is a lie!.......I'm lying

• 5 weeks later...

Charlie, I agree with you completely. The nice thing about that fashion trend was that there were lots of choices available in the market for new and used shoes that were suitable for guys. The choices today are more limited and you rarely see block heels anymore. Most of today's fashions are limited to stilettos, platforms with stilettos, and more femme looking styles with bows and ornaments that say, "Look at my feet!" While I like today's styles on the right woman or thin guy, they're just not suitable for my stocky body style. Steve

I hear you Steve and totally agree. This is why I've moved primarily to Miguel Jones custom made boots. I like the fact that they're actually men's boots. I still keep an eye out for women's styles that will work for me though.. Charlie

Everything I say is a lie!.......I'm lying

Here in the USA, I don't think society really cares. After all, we see folks all of the time with tattoos all over their bodies, multiple piercings, etc. Why would society care about footwear? It is not as big of a deal as we make it out to be in our own minds.

Jamie :)

Fashion Freedom for Men!!

Gudulitoo,Charlie,Steve63130;

While the comments about block heels may have been true six months ago they no longer are as the 1970's are the current theme in shoes. Check out Bakers' and Steve Madden's fall lineup and you'll see what I mean. If block heels are what you're looking for then you should be able to find a style amongst these that will suit your taste.

http://www.bakersshoes.com/hbyhalston/category.aspx?c=943&p=all

http://www.stevemadden.com/CategoryItem.aspx?id=155&nav=448&np=127_282-155_448

As you can see the heels on many shoes are thicker than they were a year ago at this time. I bought the black "GROOVY" at Bakers a few months ago and it is very comfortable!

HappyinHeels:wave:

Gudulitoo,Charlie,Steve63130;

While the comments about block heels may have been true six months ago they no longer are as the 1970's are the current theme in shoes. Check out Bakers' and Steve Madden's fall lineup and you'll see what I mean. If block heels are what you're looking for then you should be able to find a style amongst these that will suit your taste.

http://www.bakersshoes.com/hbyhalston/category.aspx?c=943&p=all

http://www.stevemadden.com/CategoryItem.aspx?id=155&nav=448&np=127_282-155_448

As you can see the heels on many shoes are thicker than they were a year ago at this time. I bought the black "GROOVY" at Bakers a few months ago and it is very comfortable!

HappyinHeels:wave:

These are some awesome looking sites and heels.

Thanks.

Jeffb. I do agree there with you here with us you will be frowned upon if you wear ladies shoes in public espessially stilletos with out long jeans or thigh high boots. That is why I wear my boots and 4" stillettos with wide long jeans. Sigh.

JJ