Is Society Being More Tolerant?

johnieheel

Is Society Being More Tolerant Of Men In Heels?  

278 members have voted

1. 1. Is Society Being More Tolerant Of Men In Heels?

As I mentioned elsewhere, I spent last week in SF, and they're certainly very tolerant there... (rolleyes) Seriously, I think there are some areas one shouldn't frequent in heels, but those are shrinking.

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.

Seriously, I think there are some areas one shouldn't frequent in heels, but those are shrinking.

I do hope this is the case. Where I live, it's either positive response or just quiet stares or smiles.

I think it is becoming more tolerant. Last week I ordered a pair of 5" Stilettos for Aldo on Tuesday. The Manager knows me and thinks it kind of cute that I wear Heels. On Wednesday she called and told me the heels were in to which I replied "I'll pick them up tomorrow morning.". She said thanks and said I'll see you tomorrow. When i arrived; the Manager was not in, called in sick. The two young ladies at the stores asked if they could help and I told them I had ordered some shoes. The Ass't Manager went out back and retrieved them and asked if I want to try them on to make sure they fit. "YES" was my reply. She opened the box and upon seeing they were stilletoes said "OH MY" the other sales girl helped remove the packing and said they were sexy and should look great on my feet. Which they did! Both girls complemented my feet in heels and told me I walk quite well in 5" heels better than they do. Made my day. A few years ago that episode would have received snickers and other not so well received comments. Have a good High Heel Day everyone Henri :winkiss:

If you haven't learned something new today; you have wasted the day.

I think it is becoming more tolerant. Last week I ordered a pair of 5" Stilettos for Aldo on Tuesday. The Manager knows me and thinks it kind of cute that I wear Heels. On Wednesday she called and told me the heels were in to which I replied "I'll pick them up tomorrow morning.". She said thanks and said I'll see you tomorrow.

When i arrived; the Manager was not in, called in sick. The two young ladies at the stores asked if they could help and I told them I had ordered some shoes. The Ass't Manager went out back and retrieved them and asked if I want to try them on to make sure they fit. "YES" was my reply. She opened the box and upon seeing they were stilletoes said "OH MY" the other sales girl helped remove the packing and said they were sexy and should look great on my feet. Which they did! Both girls complemented my feet in heels and told me I walk quite well in 5" heels better than they do. Made my day. A few years ago that episode would have received snickers and other not so well received comments.

Have a good High Heel Day everyone

Henri

:winkiss:

Good experience, Henri. Thanks for sharing. I have found the sales people at Aldo to be very helpful, even when I'm buying shoes from "the other side" of the store. One lady even said she was jealous because she wears a size 10, and my feet were smaller than hers.

Henri... Congratulations on another great experience in high heels. The fact that both sales girls were involved with you in this experience and the fact that it was totally positive makes it even a more memorable experience. I am happy for you!

• 3 weeks later...

I am old enough to remember tattoos were only seen on guys and now women have fully embraced them. Earrings were never worn by guys then it changed to one earring among gay men which then became earrings on both ears for all kinds of men. Women once wore only dresses then slowly started wearing pants and jeans. Nail polish (clear or black) has become rather common on guys' fingernails and women in sweatshirts (especially in the Northern United States in winter) are everywhere. I think footwear is the last frontier. As others have said, confidence is in the gait...whether you decide to walk in tennis shoes or 5" wedges with freshly-painted toenails. This is when we find out the real quality of a community we live in.

I This is when we find out the real quality of a community we live in.

While there are quite a few members of this community that might use this is a measure of "quality of life," in the larger "scheme" of things, men in heels is, perhaps the last concern modern civilization should be concerned with. There are so many more important issues that should be addressed before society deals with something so insignificant. I should imagine that "unemployment" in Great Britain, as well as other places, would command a higher priority, don't you think? After all, feeding one's family is by far more important than having the world approve of men wearing women's clothing -- don't ya think?

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

So funny today... at the mall with my wife and we went into Macy's. As soon as we got near the shoes, my wife went straight toward them. Lots of people in the store. Now, I now they don't carry size 12 in most shoes, so I rarely even ask to see anything in my size. But, I saw a pair of gladiator platform sandals with 6" heels that were just gorgeous. When the sales lady came over to ask if we needed help, I said very boldly, do you think you have these in my size? She smiled and politely asked, "would you wear them if we did?" and I said, "heck yeah, they're fantastic!" She said, "sorry, they only come up to a size 10." My wife just grinned the whole time.

While there are quite a few members of this community that might use this is a measure of "quality of life," in the larger "scheme" of things, men in heels is, perhaps the last concern modern civilization should be concerned with. There are so many more important issues that should be addressed before society deals with something so insignificant. I should imagine that "unemployment" in Great Britain, as well as other places, would command a higher priority, don't you think? After all, feeding one's family is by far more important than having the world approve of men wearing women's clothing -- don't ya think?

Yes, unemployment in Great Britain is quite high...but I don't live there. How countries deal with issues from wastewater treatment to taxation to national defense to dealing with those that would terrorize our world as well as things like racial and gender equality or just how much constitutional rights (GB doesn't have one) a country actually bestows upon its citizens all adds up to the quality of life of any given community. My point is nearly any society can move forward more effectively when it removes the mental obstacles from its path.

So funny today... at the mall with my wife and we went into Macy's. As soon as we got near the shoes, my wife went straight toward them. Lots of people in the store. Now, I now they don't carry size 12 in most shoes, so I rarely even ask to see anything in my size. But, I saw a pair of gladiator platform sandals with 6" heels that were just gorgeous. When the sales lady came over to ask if we needed help, I said very boldly, do you think you have these in my size? She smiled and politely asked, "would you wear them if we did?" and I said, "heck yeah, they're fantastic!" She said, "sorry, they only come up to a size 10." My wife just grinned the whole time.

I hope more men dod as you did and don't feel funny about asking. I tried on a pair of high heels in a store which I had asked if they had my size and there were three other men just watching me. I walked out of the store wearing the high heels as they watched me leave.

• 5 months later...

Well, I no longer worry or care about society being or becoming more tolerant of men in heels. If it does, great, if not, still great.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Bulls**t Depends where you are...

I think that's true no matter where you are in the world. Some places are more tolerant of alternate dress than others.

Where I grew up in Northwest Florida is the heart of the Bible Belt and also has a lot of rednecks. If I try wearing heels there I'd probably have the hard-core Christians bashing me on one side and the rednecks literally bashing me on the other.

Down here in Central Florida though society seems a lot more tolerant of alternate lifestyles in general.

Yes, I think it has and will continue to become more tolerant. Horizons have been extended by easy [with a small e!] jet travel and cultures are becoming more mixed, certainly here in Europe. Things have come a long way since the Nation was startled by seeing the Princess Elizabeth in trousers as part of her wartime uniform!!

Im down in camber east susex, they really dont like seeing a guy in heels.

I dont understand why.

Where abouts are you?

Where I live, there are definitely places you don't go wearing high heels. It's just a case of using good judgement and common sense. Overall, though, where I go out-and-about in high heels, most men don't notice or care.

Where I live, there are definitely places you don't go wearing high heels. It's just a case of using good judgement and common sense. Overall, though, where I go out-and-about in high heels, most men don't notice or care.

Yes i understand that, its quite strange really, i can walk around in 3 inch heeled cowboy boots anywhere and no one even gives me a second glance but put on a 4 inch pair of stiletto boots and certain people (and i only mean a few) seem to think you have come down from the moon.

Anyway my wife wants me to get out in my boots this weekend with her so we will see what happens :cry1:

Yes i understand that, its quite strange really, i can walk around in 3 inch heeled cowboy boots anywhere and no one even gives me a second glance but put on a 4 inch pair of stiletto boots and certain people (and i only mean a few) seem to think you have come down from the moon.

Really weird how society makes such a distinction. The only difference between 3" heeled cowboy boots and 3" heeled pumps is some more squared inches of material.

I'd have to say no, well from where I live...I always drove in them but I never brought myself to wear then in public. I did the one day and got some "good comments"

Then if you got good comments, wouldn't you say that society IS being a little more acceptable and tolerant?:cry1:

real men wear heels

I meant "good comments" with a degree of sarcasim :cry1:

I think that all of us who wear high heels in public have all gotten "good comments" as you put it. But I would have to say the positive has always outweighed the negative. The more you wear high heels in public, the more you base overall total reactions and comments received.

I think that all of us who wear high heels in public have all gotten "good comments" as you put it. But I would have to say the positive has always outweighed the negative. The more you wear high heels in public, the more you base overall total reactions and comments received.

I couldn't agree more. That's been pretty much the case with me over the course of my outings.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

The only time I wear heels in public is when I'm out of my home county, just because of the fact I live in an area where if you aren't a redneck/hillbilly/farm boy you get ridiculed over the smallest stupidest sh!t (plus when something is said it spreads like wildfire) I'm glad most of you have gotten positive reactions though!

I think it depends on where you are, some places are more tolerant than others. And how your SO feels about it. My wife doesn't approve, but as long as I do it at home & nobody else knows, it's ok. I also live in a very conservative part of the country, which doesn't help either.