Who amongst you has a creative/fashion career ?

thedesigner

It occurs to me that an interest in heels may come from a creative mind, or from someone working with colour, design and style. For example, I am an interior designer - and therefore looking edgy in dress sense is part of the territory; indeed to look "normal" is sending a wrong message. I like to be noticed - "there's no such thing as bad publicity" - and colour and style co-rdination in clothing gives a walk the walk (ok its a pun) not just talk the talk impression. Thoughts please !!! ;)

Is there a link between a creative mind and our interest in heels? Maybe although I've never tried to link both of them. I also have a creative mind although I don't use it in my current line of work. I thought about interior design more as a hobby/dream job and less as a career path. I used to be into graphic design as well. Style is important to me and I love to people watch and pay attention to what they wear. I find that most people have bad style so when a man/woman dress well it sure stands out. Never thought about working in the fashion industry though but shoe design has crossed my mind.

Well i have multiple hobbies which may suggest a creative mind gardening,sport,photography,heels!,carpentry,lighting design and freestyling when im in the mood! my problem is work interfers with my hobbies..lol My interest in heels stems partly from the fact that some shoes/boots are like sculptures,something to admire as well as wear.

I just love those suede heels!!!!!

At the moment I work as security staff in a bar/nightclub, but once we have the shop up and running I'm planning on starting my own retro clothing line. I currently make some of my own clothes (sewn and knitted) and jewellery, as well as baking, does that count? I'd love to do something more artistic, but I can't draw to save my life!!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a Graphic Designer and have a love of all things design. I have spoken to lots of designers from every design discipline there is and almost all have expressed a love of shoes from a design point of view. It makes sense when you consider that shoe design is basically sculpture, design and engineering.

Well, I've always been creative, but don't have a career centered around that. My interests are different from my career in some ways. I guess it's that "artistic eccentricity" that draws me to wearing heels while doing ordinary things. As has been said.....to me, they are just shoes, but I like them better.

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

My general impression is that most guys into wearing heels on this board have a technical/engineering background. A lot of discussions tend to get technical and nerdy after a while.

I wouldn't say "most guys" but there certainly appears to be a healthy proportion. My own background is architecture and engineering, though I never considered my creative skill in the direction of fashion. I understand what you mean about the technical talk; it simply shows how diverse this group is, not only cultural. I try not to get too deep into the technical discussions here, but it comes out naturally anyway. Feel free to remind me.

Dan

Studying Product Design. I think creative people in fashion, design, architecture are passionate superficial and materialistic people (It's not so wrong, really). They are also people who don't fit in standard roles and chose to be in an artistic field as it gives them more freedom. Maybe you see a corolation between what I'm writing and heels wearing, or maybe you don't. I do.

Altf: I agree with "passionate", but "superficial"? Not sure what you mean there. We're definitely out-of-the-box thinkers, and the fact that we're communicating around the world makes us more in-tune to other people's point-of-view, certainly more interested, at least. Your thoughts? Dan

• 8 months later...

Congrats kneehighs!

May I ask how you came by these gigs?

Persistent networking over time and quality work.

Pretty much what I would expect for the amount of energy I've put into it.

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

Not currently working in the fashion industry, however, I would love to at some point as it is one of my lifelong passions. I currently work as an office manager for an engineering consultancy (maybe it's the air con and poop shoots that drives me to shoes :lmao:). However, I am also continuing my development by attending university to do a business degree as well as managing to get elected for things like "role of the company secretary" training courses in Pall Mall... (oh so close to Mount St :w00t2:). I guess I would end up doing administration for a fashion company in an ideal world as the extent of my creativity is limited to making clothes rather than design. I tend to just make interpretations on New Look Dior rather than actually *create* something from scratch. I did start my own hobby-business producing burlesque accessories like nipple tassels which was more successful than anticipated as I ended up shipping stuff to Paris! But... full time work, part time uni AND that was just too much. Alas!

Well I hardly fit the role of a technocrat, I take people above and beyond their comfort zones in life. Getting them to do things they would never do on their own. These activities are climbing; rock and mountain. As well as, skiing and travel to different parts of the world and photography. However I have always had an interest in fashion and style. The 2 I feel sometimes could be no further apart but it is how I like it. Just makes it a little difficult living in ski boots for the winter, heeling on my days off or at home, or stuffing them into rock shoes then going to the mall for a fix in heels. mtnsofheels