High heels at work

DDWW

I've always wanted to be able to wear high heels as part of my everyday attire, however, I work in a place where a man in high heels would never be accepted. I have read in various posts that other guys DO manage to be accepted at their work place wearing heels and I've always wondered what sorts of jobs you guys do? Also, do you go in girl-mode or in regular guys' clothes with heels? The latter is the combination I favour and I was wondering, of all you guys who go to work in normal guys' clothes with heels, what styles of shoes/heels do you wear and do any of you manage to wear more feminine styles? How did you introduce your high heel wearing to your colleagues/clients and how did/do they take it? I'd love to hear about all your experiences whether good or bad!

There's nothing like a good bit of Toe Cleavage!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I work in a very liberal environment and likely could wear heeled boots to work but my job involves a lot of ladder climing and hauling of 100 pound + loads so gotta keep my feet flat on the floor. There are other men in the organizaton who wear several earings in each ear not to mention long hair half way down their back. Then my wife is another issue - would likely get a much more negative reaction from her than any coworker. They do notice, coworkers do. I was wearing two different colored socks the other day and a female coworker pointed it out to me asking if I knew I made the choice on purpose. I did and due to one each of the pair wearing out but the reimaining sock still being perfectly sevicable. Bet I would be the envy of some female coworkers who cannot wear heels anymore due to foot problems - oops forgot I have foot problems too. Fun to read about others who do wear heels on the job successfully.

classic style high heel boots

I will be so happy to wear my stilettos at works. But this is quiet impossible as i'm working in a construction company. Wearing high heels inbetween steel beams and concrete is not the perfect "safety shoes" and the mentality on site is not so open mind as for other jobs... ;)

• 1 month later...

I would never wear my feminine stiletto heels to work. That would not go over with upper management. I do wear a pair of men's boots with a 3 inch block heel or a pair of cowboy boots I have with a little over 3 inch heel. I wear them with suits or slacks and polo shirt. You might try to find a pair of boots or even loafers with a higher heel (1 1/2 to 2 inches) and see how it goes over. Good luck!;)

I would love nothing more than to wear my 4 inch pumps or a pair of ankle boots to work. But the mind set of the people I work with would be to ridicule and tease. The people in the geographic location here are still living in the 50s. I am baffled why we men have to be restricted to wearing dull and unexciting footwear.

I wore my black Clarks round toe block heeled ankle boots with boot cut jeans to work today. No problems and I looked and felt good.

Heel-D - Freestyling since 2005

It's a dream that I so wish I could do again, but I don't want to cause too many waves. I've gotten away with acrylic nails so far, but it might be pushing things to wear heels too - even conservative ones.

I did write this article about my escapades at the last call centre I worked at, and although I received many compliments, I also found out there were some negative things going on behind my back. At least I enjoyed it while it lasted.

and yes....ALL shoes/boots in that article did make their presence at least once, if not many times.

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

I normally wear cowboy boots to work with a 3" heel but for the last month I also have been wearing a pair of black ladies harness boots with a 3.5" stacked heel and no one has said a word I don't beleave anyone has even noticed, which is cool because I am wearing them more than my regular boots.

I just bought this pair from eBay, and I asked one of my colleagues what she thought. She didn't see any problem with them, and may be able to get away with them as well. I guess we'll see when they get here.

post-29-133522854857_thumb.jpg

Over the past couple of nights, I've been taking my tan loafer heels to work and just wearing them late, after most have gotten home. Today I took a bit of a risk, and since the only difference between these and guy's loafers is the 3" stacked heel, I wore my jeans to where most of the heel is covered. I even went downstairs to have lunch. Not.......one.....single.....thing.....happened. I was stunned, but I suppose I shouldn't be. This style doesn't scream "womenswear", so I guess perhaps it wasn't that big of a gamble, but I was so elated by the whole experience. I talked with one of my friends who had seen the style on my LiveJournal and said she really liked them, but apart from that, no one noticed. Wow.....surprisingly, that was easier than I thought it would be. I'm not gonna get carried away though. I'm still planning on keeping it to just low-key heels and go from there. At least they dress up my appearance some - more than plain old sneakers.

Hmmmm.....day two, and so far no unpleasant reactions. We even had a team meeting, and not so much as a peep was said. I talked with one of my friends who does know, and we agree that as long as I stick to conservative styles that aren't too high, then it should be all good. I'll try the boots next when they come in and see how those go.

I have now been wearing these boots to work for the last 2 weeks with girl bootcut jeans and not a word has been said. I noticed a couple of inquisitive glances, but nothing, not one comment. I am almost disappointed. Oh and by the way I have started to add a little mascara and some lipstick, well chosen to match my natural lip colour, and still no comments. I just need to find the courage to wear earrings now. Ian

post-213-133522855413_thumb.jpg

I have now been wearing these boots to work for the last 2 weeks with girl bootcut jeans and not a word has been said. I noticed a couple of inquisitive glances, but nothing, not one comment. I am almost disappointed.

Oh and by the way I have started to add a little mascara and some lipstick, well chosen to match my natural lip colour, and still no comments. I just need to find the courage to wear earrings now.

Ian

Those are some cool boots. Where can I get a pair?

As for the earings? Whats to problem? Lots of guy's wear earings.

real men wear heels

They were manufactured for a chain of womens clothing stores called Evans and have the tradename Essence. About the only place to find them is on ebay. I know there is a pair of UK size 8 on there at the moment, they are a very wide fit and have a 4inch heel. If you want more details pm me. Ian

I have now been wearing these boots to work for the last 2 weeks with girl bootcut jeans and not a word has been said. I noticed a couple of inquisitive glances, but nothing, not one comment. I am almost disappointed.

Oh and by the way I have started to add a little mascara and some lipstick, well chosen to match my natural lip colour, and still no comments. I just need to find the courage to wear earrings now.

Ian

Ian

Out of curiosity, what kind of impression are you looking to generate?

Heels for Men // Legwear Fashion // HHPlace Guidelines

If something doesn't look right, please report the content ASAP!

I did some thinking about it, and knowing the environment I'm in, and the stereotypes that abound, I'm just going to stick with late-nights as there are fewer people here, and keeping the sightings down to a bare minimum. I've been told the new wedge heel boots are more discrete than my heeled loafers, so perhaps I'll try those sometime. At least I'm getting compliments from some of the ladies :-)

I had an interesting conversation with one of the sups where I work at. She noticed my new nail job (seems to be a great conversation starter), and she said they looked really nice. I thanked her, and then told her I was looking for ways to dress sharper, wanted to get away from sneakers, but the male styles were all so boring. I asked her what she thought about wedge-heel boots, and she said that she didn't see a problem with it. I told her I was a little concerned about what management might say, but she told me that I shouldn't worry about it, it's not hurting anyone, and it's none of their business anyway. I was blown away! I didn't quite expect that open of a reaction! She said I should do it, so I guess I'll just take it reeeeeally slow and see what happens next. It's looking VERY promising though, as long as I'm sticking to the more conservative styles. Are you listening, manufacturers????