Booted traveling

corsair

I have had to do a bit of work-related traveling lately, and have used my travel time as quality boot-wearing time, i.e. boots that are a tad less conservative than I normally wear to work.

BTW, the stewardesses at all the US airlines are wearing boots with their uniforms. It's so nice to see. And I wish that I could loiter at the airport with a camera and not get arrested. There are so many booted women with such a variety of boots! <sigh>.

Trip 1.

On my first flight out, I wore black slacks and a pair of Naturalizer boots that are some of the warmest, most comfortable boots I own. (Like these, but with a slightly higher heel and without the buckles at the top)

http://www.widewidths.com/denzel.html

These are the highest heels I own that are not actual “high heels”. I don’t wear them to work, but I do wear them to go to the store, the movies, etc. They have a square toe and block heel about 1.75 inches high and they make no noise when I walk. I wound up in the security line behind a young lady who was also wearing boots (but with a skirt) so I got to watch her debooting. It was nice to see us both dumping our boots into the buckets, with little difference between the two sets of boots. I made it through security, zipped on my boots and enjoyed my flight. As far as I know, no one so much as batted an eye. Later during the trip, I decided to wear those same boots with jeans when the boss and I were going to walk across the street to a steak place for supper. I figured it would be dark and he would never see them that closely. Instead, as I come down to the hotel lobby, he is hanging up the cell phone and saying that we are going to meet the customer at a seafood place. Yikes, is it worse to go back and change, or just press on? I decided to just press on. If anyone ever noticed anything, they didn’t say so.

Trip 2.

I was traveling by myself, so I get to enjoy more booting. In fact, the only men’s shoes I had with me were my running sneakers for when I went to the hotel gym. I again wear my black pants, this time with my black Maripe boots. They have a squared-off toe and a heel of only about 1.5 to 1.75 inches, but they do look very much like women’s boots. Again I get the small pleasure of debooting and rebooting in security (not to mention watching the women around me debooting) and get no comment or stares. I then headed to an airport restaurant to eat. I wind up at a small table where I can see a Delta stewardess in a skirted uniform and wearing knee-high boots. She looked great! Anyway, I wound up in a bulkhead seat where I was able cross my legs and admire my own boots during the flight. One of the stewardesses was wearing a lovely pair of boots with her skirted uniform. As we departed the airplane, I mentioned that they looked sharp with the uniform, to which I received a nice smile and a genuine "thank you".

To go to the work site, I wore my brown riding-look boots with just a .75-inch heel. This is a pair that I wear to work regularly. The next day, for my return flight, it was back to the Maripe heels. It just felt so nice to wear them so much.

Trip 3.

I was going to have another co-worker with me, so I stuck with the previously mentioned riding boots to fly out. However, again, the sneakers were the only non-boots to go on the trip. What I did notice was that after we landed and were walking through the airport, my heels were clopping like any women’s heels would, and I did get some guys heads turning as they tried to reconcile what their ears were hearing with what their eyes were seeing. I stayed with the riding boots to go see the customer. I did have a nice warm pair of tights on under my khakis, and did snicker to myself when I realized that, just like my female friends, I was pulling my tights up every now and then.

I took the coworker to the airport the next morning and then headed back to the hotel. It was cold and going to snow, so I put on my (women’s) leather jeans and my Naturalizer boots. I headed downtown and went sightseeing. The snow started coming down thick and fast, and my leather pants wound up glistening as if I were out in the rain. However, I was staying warm and cozy. Still in the same attire, I later headed into a very nice seafood restaurant and had a very nice meal. Late in the meal, the waiter asked if I was riding a motorcycle in the snow. I told him no, but that I knew it was going to be snowing and that I’d be walking around in it. Nothing else was said.

The next day was more sightseeing in another town, This time in jeans and the Naturalizer boots. After that it was back to the airport for a flight home.

After three trips of airplane and street-heeling, I can tell you that no one said a word, and, as closely as I can tell, no one really even looked twice. I think I had one older women at baggage claim who heard my heels and gave them a long look, but that is about it. Meanwhile, it felt really nice to do. If I had to do it over again, I might have done my sightseeing in a long skirt, or slightly higher heels (or both).

Seize your heeling opportunities and enjoy it!

Well, Corsair, bully for you! I too find my business travel time to be great for extra street healing, but I don't yet have the nerve to wear my boots thru the security checkpoints. Just something about hiking my pants leg up to unzip a pair of knee-highs right there in front of a hundred or so people still makes me nervous. Once I clear security, however, sometimes I change into them. Like you often my running shoes are the only "men's" style in my case. I have a couple of pairs of Skechers casual shoes that look great and are really comfortable, so those plus a pair or two of boots pretty much cover what I need in footwear when I travel. Actually, that pretty much covers it at home, come to think of it. I agree about the flight attendants; boot season is "in"! I find myself always taking an aisle seat so I can keep an eye on them. Makes the time in the air pass that much quicker.

"It's just a flesh wound"

Corsair -

Great outings and thanks for sharing them with us!

I haven’t done much flying in the past couple of years but I did go through security wearing a pair of flat heeled over the knee boots and I got to take them off and on. I even had security at the gate pat them down. This was the same trip I almost had to run from one end of an airport to another (wearing my boots) for a connecting flight. I got a couple of looks but no one said a thing.

I was interested in your wearing leather slacks. I have several pair but rarely wear them in public. I’ll wear thigh boots with a leather skirt but not the slacks. I’m not sure why that is. I seemed like your leather slacks got more attention than your boots. Would you comment further on your experience(s) wearing them?

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

• 2 months later...