The American dollar takes a fall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeEPfiaeRA0

That's progress.

For many years now I have noticed many things about this round of economic growth that put a big question mark in my mind, how!?! Well now we know, but now after the boom went bust we have the falling of the dollar, actually the dollar falling have been going for some time now how has that affected others around the world? Discuss.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only problem there is that every road would become a toll road.

They will probebly just require the cars to be fit with some elaborate filling device so we have to buy the "fuel" at an autherized reseller. After all hydric acid (water) is a real hazardous substance.

Reminds me of the time when we had a tank truck over turn on the highway and they closed it down to bring in haz-mat guys to clean it up and all it was, was vinegar.

T&H

No, it was probably Acetic Acid which is what vinegar is. I have carried Acetics that will burn a hole right through your hand in a matter of seconds. Somebody probably said, "it was acetic acid." and then the next guy said, "but that's what vinegar is.". Before long you have that story going around. Spill an acetic and it has to be dealt with in all seriousness even if it is as weak as vinegar.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

What a difference a few years makes as one goes from the start of this thread in 2008 to the current day in 2012. The US dollar got battered in 2008 and in 2010 but now it is the EURO that is in deep trouble. Investors worldwide have either returned to the US dollar or have found that currencies such as the dollars of Canada, Australia, Hong Kong, and Singapore are worth investing in as confidence in Europe continues to erode. Europe's problems have been developing over some time now; high rates of taxation, discontent at recent waves of immigrants that don't seem as interested at integrating themselves into their adopted countries, declining or stagnant population growth, out of control entitlement spending, and in some countries, the overall feeling that ordinary citizens are not safe against notably higher crime because they feel their nations' judicial systems are no longer equipped to deal with it. You may not like what I'm saying but it is based on where investors' money is actually going and not on a personal opinion of the "Euro" way of doing things. THere is no perfect nation to follow but there are places they could seriously look at. If they copied the dynamic market-based economies of the United States or AUstralia in their ability to create jobs, create the trade surpluses enjoyed by China and Brazil based on their huge investments improving their own infrastructures, become a financial hub like Singapore, and basically get off the backs of their citizens. They either drastically reform their ways or hope that Germany writes yet another bailout check and I recommend the Germans don't do that. Everyone is certainly watching the action as portfolios from Beijing to Brasilia and Wellington to Wisconsin have been affected by the financial bungling there. The old adage of diversification has never been more true than now. HappyinHeels :santa_hat:

No, the demise of the Euro is due to the severe financial crises in Greece and Ireland. The Greeks seem to regard paying tax as a lifestyle choice and the tax incentives to attract inward investment in Ireland were unsustainable. This is exactly what was predicted when the Euro was first proposed.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

In my view the problem is really the lack of political unity. Every country is looking at the crisis in a different way and each of them tries to propagate its own ideas. The result is hardly any action and if there is action it is too little too late. In many cases any policy would be correct as long as it is consistent, but at the moment there is no policy. The USA has the advantage of a single policy and so do countries like China and Brasil. The situation is worsened by the lack of trust in the politicians. They have obviously failed in many respects, as mentioned by HappyInHeels. The result is that extremist parties get a large vote and run on cheap nationalistic and `anti Europe' platforms. In short: a big mess. Sorting it all out will require some new type of politicians. Y.

Raise your voice. Put on some heels.

In short: a big mess. Sorting it all out will require some new type of politicians.

Y.

I dunno about ' politicians '. Maybe just ' normal people '. I think it requires just a very small bit of common sense that all to many people dont have. Its a real simple thing : Dont spend more then we take in/earn.

Im not left or right in my leanings, I look at things as ' common sense '. I make ' x ' amount from my working and have to pay ' y ' amount in bills. Whatever is left over is mine to do with as I choose. Very simple thing.

It would seem, in the U.S. and in Europe ( part of it ), They can take ' X ', add ' Y ' to it, and print up ' Z ' and say ' we cant be broke! We still have some blank checks left to write amounts on! ' because the check-book isnt empty of checks. Balance sheets?!?! Eh.. they really need not be looked at.

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

The problem is that we live in a world where everyone expects to have a trade surplus. So, for example, we end up with a British policy towards China that says, 'We need you to sell us your goods cheaply so that we can sell our services to you expensively.' Hm, something of the perpetual motion machine in there.

• 2 weeks later...

Great Scott man.....wood and metal has the answer! It's not complicated geopolitical stuff but coesm down to a glut of flip-flops. The simple answer comes from the guy who lives closer to "Margaritaville" than any of us. Any complicated can be figured out in the Florida Keys I think. Bartender,, a round for all the hhplace forumers here while we discuss all thes things in our flip-flops, er I mean heels. :santa_hat: HappyinHeels