The American dollar takes a fall.

"Daktaris? You a wanta pay me in republica credits? That'sa no good. I gotta have something more real!" - Watto to Quigon when he was trying to purchase parts for his spaceship.

He should replied back, would Euros do?

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the dollar may as well be Monopoly money when traveling to the U.K., but the purchasing power of one dollar in the United States far exceeds the purchasing power of either the euro or pound in Europe. On a brighter note, the dollar has risen against the euro closing on Friday at .68/1

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

It's not the dollar rising it's the Euro falling. It's gone down against sterling as well.

By the end of Tuesday's trading the dollar actually rose against the Euro, the YEN, and the Swiss franc.

I'm not saying that the dollar is "strengthening" in general, just that it rose in value against a particular currency. And since I'm an avid world traveler who spends several thousand dollars annually, that rise in one day alone is enough to add up to potentially hundreds of dollars in savings on one trip, provided that I execute some transactions during that upwards gap in time.

:santa_hat:

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

It's not the dollar rising it's the Euro falling. It's gone down against sterling as well.

Actually, you have just touched upon the stickiest aspect of money. Perhaps the Pound Sterling is the currency to gauge the rise or fall of the "funny money" against. But as understand it, the US dollar, the Euro, and even the Yen are all "paper money".

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

I quite agree as the pound is at least still backed by something. Where as most currencies are not and as pointed out are just funney money. It is nice to have some form of money though as otherwise one would need that wheelbarrow mentioned earlyier to haul around their valuables to make purcheses. Though valuables are more real they can weigh a ton (literally). Part of the problem (the way I see it, and I could be wrong) is how many other countries have pegged their own currency values the dollar. To me it sure doesn't make sense, but they do it any way just to ensure that their biggest trading partner is always paying the same. Why is oil sold in dollars? Because we use the most of it. If everyone here started driving small fuel efficient cars then their exports would plummet and oil would suddenly shift what it was sold in to the next biggest user.

Just some thoughts on the matter.

Slightly on and off topic has anyone else heard of something called an Amero? I heard about it on a political radio show as being a single currency from mexico to Canada. Makes me a little nervous to think about it. I would have to take Britan's example of the Euro and say we should stay out of it if it is true.

T&H

"Look for the woman in the dress, if there is no dress there is no woman."-Coco Channel

Actually the reason why oil has been traditionally traded in dollars is because it was first produced in commercial quantities in the US...

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

• 1 month later...

I know! Move more jobs to China and Mexico and import more Mexians to the US.

Yeah! that's it!! I moving to Mexico! ;)

NOT!!

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

Sadly, it's why I won't be able to take a trip to the UK for some time, but if you all wanna come to THIS side o' the land mass on this side o' the pond for a heelmeet, then it may be doable. Slightly off-topic, but........:The job market I've heard, on the other hand, is tighter over there than it is here *shoves topic back on rails*

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

The weak dollar does have some positive affects on the US economy, though. I just read in the newspaper that the BMW plant in Greer, SC is going to increase production from the 155,000 units they made last year to 240,000 units by 2012 and cut 5,600 jobs in Europe because the cost of wages and benefits are cheaper here. Not only that, the BMW company is seeking US manufacturers to supply parts that are currently imported from Europe because the exchange rate between the Euro and Dollar makes it it cheaper to buy them here.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

In the long term that may work out, but in the short term it's going to hurt real bad for many. Charities are having a hard time meeting the needs of the ever increasing working poor. I my self have been working the same job for a year for the first time in 3 years. But now things are very iffy and sales drooped off......no, hit the bottom of the bucket right now with a hallow thud. ;) can't get a break. Oil at $108.00 a barrel, food prices shot up....

With the weekening dollar maybe we could become the new China? People could export their jobs here and we could have more work (at least until the dollar strengthens again.)

Seriously at times like this i am glad to have a stable job in a retirment home. Fortunatly for me people have this habit of getting older regardless of the economy. Unlike the Mrs. who worked in a economy depenant field and is now looking for new employment. So I still feel the effects.

T&H

"Look for the woman in the dress, if there is no dress there is no woman."-Coco Channel

With the weekening dollar maybe we could become the new China? People could export their jobs here and we could have more work (at least until the dollar strengthens again.)

Seriously at times like this i am glad to have a stable job in a retirment home. Fortunatly for me people have this habit of getting older regardless of the economy. Unlike the Mrs. who worked in a economy depenant field and is now looking for new employment. So I still feel the effects.

T&H

Economic development and devolution is cyclical.

Economic development and devolution is cyclical.

When I was a kid, I went through such a cycle where the machine tool industry in my home town was taken over by the Japanese. I never thought I would go through it again.........;) My dad was a high school teacher and even they were not immune to lay offs. It may be even worse this time around.

When I was a kid, I went through such a cycle where the machine tool industry in my home town was taken over by the Japanese. I never thought I would go through it again.........;) My dad was a high school teacher and even they were not immune to lay offs. It may be even worse this time around.

Well, I really didn't want to be the one spreading all this "sunshine" around, but if you think we've hit bottom, take another drink of coffee. You ain't seen nothing yet. The "light at the end of the tunnel" is really an oncoming train.:cool1:

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

hi guys, those of us in the old country are in the sh*t too.... Now am i being a bore, but i s this site a hh site or a rant against Bush or the american way ? or western way if you want to be picky... now.. "Man in high heels takes a fall " now that's a thread for this site instead !!! Keep high !!

hi guys, those of us in the old country are in the sh*t too....

Now am i being a bore, but i s this site a hh site or a rant against Bush or the american way ? or western way if you want to be picky...

I can't speak for anyone else, but it was not my intention to devolve into an anti-Bush, anti-American or anti-western rant. I am taking a cold hard look at the economics.

My expectation is that the Democrats will win this year (while mindful of the ability of the Democrats to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory). They will want to dry every teary eye in the country and that takes money. There are only three ways to finance gov't operations: tax, borrow or print. The new administration will choose to print. This will also help with the real estate crisis: if you bought your house at $250k and financed 100%, but it's now worth $200k, you're in the hole. If we inflate the economy until you house is now worth $400k, your problem is solved.

The world financial community realizes this and has priced the dollar recognizing the risk that this will occur. There are laws on the books that require the federal gov't to manage the economy for job growth: the Full Employment Act of 1946 and the Humphrey-Hawkins Act of 1978. I believe that the world generally and the oil producing nations specifically expect the US to print its way out of trouble.

A whole range of economic effects, from longer commute times to global manufacturing competition, are predicated on cheap transportation. If gasoline goes to $6/gallon, it will be economically very destructive.

It's already economically destructive at over 3.00 a gal. Most people around where I live do not have very high paying jobs and with all other expenses like food, heat, ele., to name a couple, being so high because of the price of OIL, makes it literally impossible to make ends meet. I would call that economically destructive.

real men wear heels

It's already economically destructive at over 3.00 a gal.

My heart bleeds. In the UK (and most of Europe) petrol is the equivalent of around $8 per US gallon. Largely due to a different tax regime.

I'm not looking for sympathy.

Fortunately the US is also home to good old fashioned entrepreneurs who are prepared to put their money where they think it will make a profit. At present there's a fair bit (nowhere near enough) of investment going into solar energy in the sunbelt states. The energy in the sun falling on just a small fraction of the unused land in Arizona etc is ample to provide ALL the USA's electricity with plenty left over. Most of the kit is pretty low tech too, mirrors, boilers, turbines etc. There is some high tech trickery needed to give effective overnight storage of energy but it's becoming practical and economic now.

The energy left over could provide for a lot of heating and transportation needs that are currently served by oil.

To all red blooded Americans: where would you rather get your energy? From a bunch of unreliable Arabs or Russians? Or right in your own back yard, done with goold old American knowhow and investment.

Take a decent chunk of the US demand for oil out of the world equation and OPEC will be pleading poverty and begging for mercy.

Northern Europe doesn't have such attractive options - not enough sun. Southern Europe, around the Mediterranean and into north Africa has good conditions too. Though this is politically more fragmented than the US. Countries such as Israel, Egypt, Morocco have got plenty of virtually unpopulated sunny areas. Israel is starting to invest, I don't know about the others.

If gasoline goes to $6/gallon, it will be economically very destructive.

Try something less, like $4 a gallon, I can't beleave people sustaining SUVs at such a price. I drive a Celica and get 30MPG, driving to work and back is 75 miles a day. It's taking a bite out of my wallet making only 16.50 an hour just only working 40 hours a week. Currently there is no OT so it's even worse. Bottom line with bills, car payment, home heating oil at $3.00 + a gallon, 10 grand of credit card debt acclaimed between jobs in the last 6 years. Nope we are all ready F%$Ked, the working poor the majority of the economic purchasing power. This country is going flat on it's face before it's over.

Try something less, like $4 a gallon, I can't beleave people sustaining SUVs at such a price. I drive a Celica and get 30MPG, driving to work and back is 75 miles a day. It's taking a bite out of my wallet making only 16.50 an hour just only working 40 hours a week. Currently there is no OT so it's even worse. Bottom line with bills, car payment, home heating oil at $3.00 + a gallon, 10 grand of credit card debt acclaimed between jobs in the last 6 years. Nope we are all ready F%$Ked, the working poor the majority of the economic purchasing power. This country is going flat on it's face before it's over.

with 10 K in credit card debt, you really are screwed. ;)

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Well, I really didn't want to be the one spreading all this "sunshine" around, but if you think we've hit bottom, take another drink of coffee. You ain't seen nothing yet. The "light at the end of the tunnel" is really an oncoming train.;)

Oh no......we have yet to hit bottom.

If you lived closer to your work you would spend less time in the car burning money, and more time relaxing and sorting out your debt, and would have less maintenance to worry about for your car too.

Heels for Men // Legwear Fashion // HHPlace Guidelines

If something doesn't look right, please report the content ASAP!

If you lived closer to your work you would spend less time in the car burning money, and more time relaxing and sorting out your debt, and would have less maintenance to worry about for your car too.

The problem is, my work history for the last five years to the employer is not good until last year. I had to expand in order to find fresh opportunities. Also I am dislked for being smarter than a lot of other people, GF has the same problem. People did not look at my skills they looked how dependable I am because that have a huge job pool of "common people". Actualy I am quite dependable. First time ever in my life a company expressed in offering me a job based on my skills and inelegance do to the fact the people I work with are not common people or the way I describe it they are screw balls just like me. Now finding another job closer? First I am staying where it's safe until the end, seconed I love where I work, third you tell me where I can find a job where I can still be there for more than a year. I was unable to find one untill now. For some one who only has a 2 year degree it's very hard to find a good paying job.