Big toe numbness

epicentre

Question

Hello everybody! I have some 5" stiletto pumps that I'm trying to use for 5-6 hours daily after I get home from work, the idea is trying to get used to walk in 5" comfortably. After around 4 hours my right foot big toe starts to get a bit numb and there's like needle sharp pain in the first joint (the one that is just over the ball). The heels are comfortable enough and I have gel pads as well to avoid extra pain, I'm not sure if this pain is related to my feet getting used to 5" or some other issue. Any advice on what could this be? The pain goes rapidly away as soon as I take off the shoe and there are no "cutting" marks of the heel pressing the foot whatsoever. Thanks!

11 answers to this question

Sounds like your feet are trying to tell you to take it easy and dont rush things... 5" heels are high so you should probably consider working up to it gradually.. The balls of your feet may not be used to carrying the weight of your body around on their own.

Heels for Men // Legwear Fashion // HHPlace Guidelines

If something doesn't look right, please report the content ASAP!

Sounds like your feet are trying to tell you to take it easy and dont rush things...

5" heels are high so you should probably consider working up to it gradually..

The balls of your feet may not be used to carrying the weight of your body around on their own.

Yeah that was my first though, I had the same issue when going up to 4" heels which I now feel really comfortable with, so for me going 5" was the next step indeed.

*Disclaimer: This is NOT Medical advice, only speculation*

1. Obviously, remove the shoe immediately at the first sign of numbness, tingling, "paraplegia". The numbness is likely caused by nerve compression.

2. You say the pain and numbness is only on the right (presumably- but not necessarily- your "dominant" foot). Barring preexisting circulatory or neurological conditions (arthritis, diabetes, etc.) it is likely caused by the shoe.

You could :

A. Try a different pair of 5 inch heels. It may be that particular shoe causing the problem.

B. Take off the right shoe at the first sign of paraplegia and leave the left on, to see if the same symptoms appear on the left (less dominant foot) over time.

C. Stretch and deeply massage both feet prior to putting on the heels.

D. Take breaks to massage and stretch your feet every hour or so.

E. Elevate your feet- above the level of your heart- at least ten minutes every hour or so.

This may help you "troubleshoot" the problem.

The most important thing is to remove the right shoe at the first sign of numbness or pain- it will NEVER "work itself out" by continuing to wear the shoe.

Best of luck to you.

Just an opinion...

*Disclaimer: This is NOT Medical advice, only speculation*

1. Obviously, remove the shoe immediately at the first sign of numbness, tingling, "paraplegia". The numbness is likely caused by nerve compression.

2. You say the pain and numbness is only on the right (presumably- but not necessarily- your "dominant" foot). Barring preexisting circulatory or neurological conditions (arthritis, diabetes, etc.) it is likely caused by the shoe.

You could :

A. Try a different pair of 5 inch heels. It may be that particular shoe causing the problem.

B. Take off the right shoe at the first sign of paraplegia and leave the left on, to see if the same symptoms appear on the left (less dominant foot) over time.

C. Stretch and deeply massage both feet prior to putting on the heels.

D. Take breaks to massage and stretch your feet every hour or so.

E. Elevate your feet- above the level of your heart- at least ten minutes every hour or so.

This may help you "troubleshoot" the problem.

The most important thing is to remove the right shoe at the first sign of numbness or pain- it will NEVER "work itself out" by continuing to wear the shoe.

Best of luck to you.

Just an opinion...

Thanks for such a load of useful information Wuornos!

Yeah I remove the shoe immediately as soon as the pain starts, and you're right on the spot, it is my dominant foot.

For further information, this started up when I went to a Torture Garden party in 5" shoes and wore them all night, at the end of the night I had this pain in the right foot and it pretty much stayed there for the next week or so, so I didn't use heels that time until it wore off.

I kinda have the hinch that it's nerve compression since this never happens to my left foot even if I leave the shoe on longer, even a full night without any problem.

This happens pretty much with all 5" pumps I have, it doesn't happen with boots though, maybe because I'm stressing the foot less in boots due to the ankle being firmly gripped.

Just a small update on the situation. I followed Wuornos advice and I discovered that the problem mainly is that my feet are slipping down the shoe instead of being held in place. I thought that the gel pads should take care of that, but they do only temporarily (first 40-50 mins) and then after that they get a bit slippery. I'm thinking about using some cotton balls to pad the shoe front so the feet stay in place and avoid this situation, has anybody tried that? Cheers

Your symptoms closely match those of Morton's Neuroma:

http://www.footphysicians.com/footankleinfo/mortons-neuroma.htm

It's possible you have irritated or damaged a nerve. See the link for more details.

Sorry if I expressed myself incorrectly, but the pain is on the upper part of the foot, not on the bottom part, although this is good to know! I'm kinda paranoic about damaging my feet in some way trying to walk in 5", I want to be extra careful :santa_hat:

Nerve pain can occur on the top. middle or bottom of the foot. And the pain itself can be somewhat remote fom the actual source/damage, because the nerve is itself carrying pain signals. Probably the best thing is to consult a foot pysician, and get their opinion.

Just a small update on the situation.

I followed Wuornos advice and I discovered that the problem mainly is that my feet are slipping down the shoe instead of being held in place.

I thought that the gel pads should take care of that, but they do only temporarily (first 40-50 mins) and then after that they get a bit slippery.

I'm thinking about using some cotton balls to pad the shoe front so the feet stay in place and avoid this situation, has anybody tried that?

Cheers

Glad that you were able to troubleshoot the problem, and are working towards the solution.. AND that you are sensible enough to prevent any longstanding (I know, punny...) nerve damage by removing the shoe when discomfort occurs. Best to you.