Doctors

Amanda

It seems to me that Doctors reports of damaged caused by heels is not balanced at all. I've been wearing heels for most of my life and when I read what doctors have to say about the subject it seems to me that all their findings are based on worst case scenarios. It's my opinion that some can tollerate heels better than others and also that a lot of problems which occur are simply due to badly fitting or badly designed shoes. Personally apart from my tendons becoming shorter I've had no discernable problems. Something I wish that I'd been aware of when I was younger but I come to accept. Otherwise I have had no problems. Nonetheless my own doctor advises me to wear lower heels with an objective to eventually stop wearing heels at all. I followed his advice and walked around uncomfortably on lower heels from time to time but now I've had enough. Hmm, I'm rambling here, sorry. I just wanted to say that Doctors knowledge of wearing heels is all based on negative findings. Just be aware of the sensations and feelings in your legs and feet and don't push them too hard.

• 2 months later...

I've had problems before with my legs but nothing major and it is hard to tell whether it's because of my heels or my dancing. I haven't really done much high impact dance recently and I am wearing higher heels than ever and have been having no problems lately so think any leg problems are more to do with dance and athletics. Who knows, I might have problems when I'm older, but I'd never do anything if I listened to 'experts' because everything seems to have dangers or health complications associated with it.

• 6 months later...

Ha, this is the best yet:

(An excerpt)

MALMO(SWEDEN): The well-heeled might have cause for alarm. A scientist in Sweden says wearing high heels can lead to mental disorders, and has drawn alarming parallels between stilettos and schizophrenia among women.

Jarl Flensmark says high heels cause their wearers to tense their calves in a way that normal walking never does. That could prevent neuro-receptors in the calf muscles from triggering release of dopamine, a compound necessary for mental well-being.

“During walking, synchronised stimuli from mechano-receptors in the lower extremities increase activity in cerebellothalamo-cortico-cerebellar loops through their action on NMDA-receptors,” Flensmark wrote in a recent paper in the journal Medical Hypotheses. “Using heeled shoes leads to weaker stimulation of the loops. Reduced cortical activity changes dopaminergic function, which involves the basal gangliathalamo-cortical-nigro-basal ganglia loops,” he said.

Ha, this is the best yet:

(An excerpt)

MALMO(SWEDEN): The well-heeled might have cause for alarm. A scientist in Sweden says wearing high heels can lead to mental disorders, and has drawn alarming parallels between stilettos and schizophrenia among women.

Jarl Flensmark says high heels cause their wearers to tense their calves in a way that normal walking never does. That could prevent neuro-receptors in the calf muscles from triggering release of dopamine, a compound necessary for mental well-being.

“During walking, synchronised stimuli from mechano-receptors in the lower extremities increase activity in cerebellothalamo-cortico-cerebellar loops through their action on NMDA-receptors,” Flensmark wrote in a recent paper in the journal Medical Hypotheses. “Using heeled shoes leads to weaker stimulation of the loops. Reduced cortical activity changes dopaminergic function, which involves the basal gangliathalamo-cortical-nigro-basal ganglia loops,” he said.

Thats true. but there is minor error, heels DO cause mental disorders in men, not women.

Or .. I could be wrong, what's your guess about term "killer heels", where did it came from then? :smile:

Yes, I'm schizo and i'm wearing heels, that's two more reasons to stay away from me. (maybe i'll print that on my shirt).

"Even when I'm a mess, I put on a vest... with an S on my chest, oh yes.. I'm a Superwoman.. "

Or .. I could be wrong, what's your guess about term "killer heels", where did it came from then? :smile:

Yes, I'm schizo and i'm wearing heels, that's two more reasons to stay away from me. (maybe i'll print that on my shirt).

Lol Nina I think that's a good idea. In future I might blame my own mental health issues on my shoes .

I think the term "Killer heels" comes from wearing pointy toed shoes for a night of dancing.

i just started seeing my doctor for generalized pain -everywhere- muscle related, she said not a word about my heels.. though im lucky i didntt need a doctor tonight... i was at my friends house and she had gravel put down in her driveway (not dirt or cement.. actual rocks >^.^< ?????(something about being in the country that makes people do things like that) and it was dark and her railing on her steps wasnt completly stable, and all 3 of them mixed that when i stepped down on the gravel i wasnt ready and put my weight down and fell.. broke nothing exept for pride.. well ripped stockings and some scraped legs pout.. its been like forever since ive fallen in heels.. well, last icestorm i dealt with anyways!