5" heels while driving

ct03si

how difficult is it to drive in 5" heels especially for long periods of time i have a 2 day drive comming up soon and i was thinking of wearing my 5" stiletto thigh boots for the trip. it is about 1200 miles one way. i have never worn heels in public before but basically my theory is that im never gonna see any of these people ever again so who cares, im more worried about actually driving the car with them on btw: its a manual transmission

I drive in 5.5" heels quite a bit, but thats in my work truck (Avalanche), I've tried to wear heels in a rental Nissan Altima and it just didnt fit. Seating position will play a large role, so just experiment. If you're not comfortable, or you can't safely fit your knees under the steering wheel then avoid driving with them on and maybe find a park or two to visit while on the trip and wear the heels there :santa_hat:

(formerly known as "JimC")

i keep getting logged out before i can post this!! its a great way for you and your heels to spend some time together. as far as difficult, i only have problems in the porsche if the toe is long or in a platform. thats because of little room and the way the pedals are laid out. i have to do trips that longt every so often. i would not wear thigh hi's though, especially if it is something you do not want to wear in public, remember, you WILL have to go pee! i did one trip in 4 inch pumps, never took them for 3 days except to sleep. my feet would get "hot spots" and wake me up. i even went shopping in wal-mart! shopping carts are a great way to hide a shoe that has a very obvious toe, plus you can lean on the cart if you need to make the heels quieter. on another trip, i wore thse black boots that have a thicker heel (4 1/4) and the toe does not look very feminine. i wore them 18 hours a day for a month! i have never felt so relaxed! after about weeks, i was almost daring people to see them. i would up load pics but i dont know how. i would be that way with a pump, but these boots are some what masculine looking, but with a hi heel. today i am wearing my new used, (i prefer used) pair of bakers long pointy toe 4 1/2 inch heel size 9 blk boots. i should get 10 hours. you may want to find something else that may be easier to get off....just in case. HAVE FUN!

I have driven with anywhere from 3 to 5 inch heels without any real problems except that to use the clutch, I might have to point the shoe a little sideways to get the proper force to push it down as the pedals on my Mazda Miata are crowded. You really shouldn't have a mechanical problem that way. But, if your feet start to ache, then just change to something else.

It's all about the heel!

I don't have a problem shifting with my Corola, but I do when just crusing (with the crusie control on), down the highway in it. The floorboard slants some and the angle of my feet makes it hard to put my toes down. Its ok for awhile, but 1200 miles? I agree with you, on who cares what everybody else thinks along the way. I say enjoy, but bring a couple alternates, with a lower heel just in case. Guy

my fiance got me to wear thigh high nylons/stockings with my boots they feel the best it puts a layer between the feet and boots so they dont get too sweaty but they are really thin and smooth so it just feels really comfortable

I don't want to sound like your grandmother, but I suggest you practice a few emergency brakes in the parking lot to see how things go. The driving itself is easy. Y.

Raise your voice. Put on some heels.

call me crazy but im thinking that with the 6" heels my feet will actually fit better under the dash, because of the height if the heel the total area if shoe under the dash will be alot smaller so i will have more room to move around i will just have to set my seat back some so my knees aren't on the steering wheel

well, id say not to.. more from a practicality standpoint than safety honestly.. depending on the quality of the material you could damage the heel!!! i found thata out with one pair of shoes i had :santa_hat: now i always take mine of while driving just for that purpose alone, then put them back on when i get to my destination.. all that rubbing against the carpet of the back and the heel could wear it down.

Heels might be OK for driving around in town. However acording to some long distace professional truck driving gals that I know of at work, heels, much less boots are unthinkable to drive down state, much less accross country. They would prefure flat, soft soled shoes like tennis shoes. Safer, more comfortable, cooler, and less sweaty, they say.

• 2 weeks later...

good point. a woman i know who is big on heeling...... will go for flats for longer drives. i don't know about less sweaty though... heels cover less skin than tennis shoes.. therefore cooler to wear.

RPM

I always wear flats for driving, I find the heel tends to get stuck under pedals.

Maybe it's easier driving an automatic, I don't know I never tried.

My driving shoes don't cover any more area of my feet than heels do.

They fit very easily into the door pocket or under the seat so they're always ready to go and unless you're wearing boots, it doesn't take a second to change them.

I'd hate to think I'd caused an accident by driving in heels.

In fact, I'm really not sure how it would look on a road traffic accident police report even.

Amanda, you're like most of my friends... always with flats in the car for the drive. here is a 'twist' most of the women who are heelers (more serious about heeling than average) fall into two categories (in my very limited and biased view). 1- those who are in their fourties or older.. will drive in their heels without changing them. unless their feet are really tied. 2- those who are in their thirties or less.. tend to always change into flats when driving. just a non-scientific observation. but for me (another aspect of heeling that i like)... driving in difficult situations in heels. ie... in the winter.. i love to go do donuts in my car (well.. more so when i was a teen than now).. in such activities.. i'd love to see a woman doing the same in high heels. outside those rare moments. if your heel is too tall for you to safely drive.. please do change... just my thought. RPM